Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
KatieEverAfter
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9

Professional Internship cover letter

I have a question about submitting a cover letter for the professional internships. They don't specifically ask for one and there is not a place to upload them on the online application, but I've heard of other applicants who have been combining their resume and cover letter in one document and uploading it as their resume. So my question is should I do a cover letter or not?
KatieEverAfter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Tar Heels
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4

I was also wondering the same thing. And if we are to upload a cover letter, but are applying to multiple PIs, how would that work? Do we upload one for each separate position or is one broad cover letter fine?
Tar Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
coorsie
Mouseketeer
 
coorsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heels View Post
I was also wondering the same thing. And if we are to upload a cover letter, but are applying to multiple PIs, how would that work? Do we upload one for each separate position or is one broad cover letter fine?
I know some people who did and some who didn't. I'm one of the ones who didn't, because I feel like if your résumé is written well enough you shouldn't need one. Also, they don't generally ask for one unless you're applying for certain positions (like some of the communications positions, where they judge your writing, or maybe even guest relations because it's so competitive). That being said, if you do write a cover letter, it should always be tailored to the job you're applying for (as should your résumé!), so in that instance, I would upload a different copy for each application.
__________________
▫FW1997▫CBR2008▫OKW2009▫
▫DCP Fall 2010, CRT▫
▫BW2010▫POP2010▫CBR2011▫BC2012▫CSR2012▫POP2013(x2) ▫


coorsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
khancock
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 779

The place to upload a cover letter is on your profile, not the application.

go back to your dashboard and log in.
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
cagirl4life
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!!
 
cagirl4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 184

I put mine on my resume. The reason I did cover letters is because in Engineering it is all about experience and what programs you can use. I have no work experience in Engineering so I explain projects I have done in class and what I can do with the different software programs. Because it is one thing to have used the program before, it is another to how to use the program proficiently. I didn't do it on my first one though and just uploaded a cover letter to my dashboard and titled it what I am applying for in that cover letter (though all of mine pretty much have the same job title)
__________________
Peace, Love and !!! Callie (24)

DL: to many times to count, last trip August 2013!
WDW: July 1998 (Off Site); February 2006 (CBR); April 2006 (AS Sports); February 2007 (ASM); February 2008 (ASM); April 2008 (CBR); June 2008 (SSR); January 2010 (AS Sports)
cagirl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
cindy17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirl4life View Post
I put mine on my resume. The reason I did cover letters is because in Engineering it is all about experience and what programs you can use. I have no work experience in Engineering so I explain projects I have done in class and what I can do with the different software programs. Because it is one thing to have used the program before, it is another to how to use the program proficiently. I didn't do it on my first one though and just uploaded a cover letter to my dashboard and titled it what I am applying for in that cover letter (though all of mine pretty much have the same job title)
Hi! I know you wrote this nearly a year ago, so I hope you don't mind my asking a question regarding cover letters and engineering PIs. My son is a senior applying for Fall 2014. This will be his third and last round. He made it all the way up to the end twice before he went NLIC. This time he is planning on submitting a cover letter into his profile to hopefully increase his chances. Did it help you, in your opinion? Thanks!
__________________
1989: offsite
March 1997: offsite - Summerfield Suites
November 1999: Dixies Landings
June 2001: Disneyland
August 2002: CSR
August 2004: Ft. Wilderness Cabins
November 2004: CSR - SSW!
August 2005: offsite/ASMo
November 2007: CBR - SSW!
August 2009: Ft. Wilderness Cabins
August 2012: Ft. Wilderness Cabins
October 2012: Ft. Wilderness Cabins
June/July 2014: Disneyland
cindy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
figmentfan6
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 140

Even if you don't *need* a cover letter, some positions might really prefer to see one and it's great experience to practice with using one for when you are applying to jobs post-internship/college.

Also, some roles won't require one but based on the role I would highly recommend it. I applied to PR and Marketing positions, and got three interviews (Social Media for Youth, Social Media for Fairytale Weddings, and Sales and Travel Ops PR) and got offered the Sales and Travel Ops PR position. Not saying the cover letter I submitted was the deciding factor in any of it, but I suspect it helped.

When I submitted my apps for PIs, I had the cover letter as the first page of my resume. So cover letter on page one, followed by full resume on page two. If you chose to go this route, I would highly suggest saving the document as a PDF and submitting it that way. This way you won't have to worry about microsoft word mucking up your formatting. This is actually a good recommendation for any online submission job apps, because word can really make your resume look like a mess if the person opening it is running a different operating system than you.
__________________
Many, many, many trips throughout my childhood...
Disney College Program Resort Concierge, FA 2010
21st Birthday Trip, Poly August 2011
figmentfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
flyslyw
Time Rover Expert
 
flyslyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentfan6 View Post
Even if you don't *need* a cover letter, some positions might really prefer to see one and it's great experience to practice with using one for when you are applying to jobs post-internship/college.

Also, some roles won't require one but based on the role I would highly recommend it. I applied to PR and Marketing positions, and got three interviews (Social Media for Youth, Social Media for Fairytale Weddings, and Sales and Travel Ops PR) and got offered the Sales and Travel Ops PR position. Not saying the cover letter I submitted was the deciding factor in any of it, but I suspect it helped.

When I submitted my apps for PIs, I had the cover letter as the first page of my resume. So cover letter on page one, followed by full resume on page two. If you chose to go this route, I would highly suggest saving the document as a PDF and submitting it that way. This way you won't have to worry about microsoft word mucking up your formatting. This is actually a good recommendation for any online submission job apps, because word can really make your resume look like a mess if the person opening it is running a different operating system than you.
Good tips, thanks!
__________________
1997 - off site
2000 - Coronado Springs
2005 - All Star Movies
2007 (Feb.) - All Star Sports, 2007 (Oct.) - off site
2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2010 & 2011 - All Star Sports
flyslyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
daisyduck92
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1

cover letter addressed to a person

Did you guys address the letter to a person? Did you find the name of the recruiter to the position you want??
Because I can't find the recruiter for my position so I wrote "Dear Walt Disney Company representative" but I don't know if it sounds bad... what did you guys write?
Thanks!
daisyduck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Cais
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,482

I never looked at a single cover letter when I was involved in the interview process for a PI. The one I do remember seeing actually hurt them.

I wouldn't write one unless it's specifically asked for.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Picture??
Cais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
flyslyw
Time Rover Expert
 
flyslyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cais View Post
I never looked at a single cover letter when I was involved in the interview process for a PI. The one I do remember seeing actually hurt them.

I wouldn't write one unless it's specifically asked for.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Could you please tell us what it was that hurt them and why you didn't look at many?
__________________
1997 - off site
2000 - Coronado Springs
2005 - All Star Movies
2007 (Feb.) - All Star Sports, 2007 (Oct.) - off site
2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2010 & 2011 - All Star Sports
flyslyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #12
Musings
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cais View Post
I never looked at a single cover letter when I was involved in the interview process for a PI. The one I do remember seeing actually hurt them.

I wouldn't write one unless it's specifically asked for.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I disagree about the cover letter hurting them. If someone writes a poor cover letter, then yes, it will hurt them but it is all about how you write it and whether it actually follows the qualifications.

Cover letters can only help you if you do it right. Worst case, the person doesn't even look at it.
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.