Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #106
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCIAKAZ View Post
Hi there! Been reading your PTR and loving it. I'm here to add my two cents about a couple of things

First, a bit about my first trip experience--the first time I went I was 40. My three kids were aged 9-16 at the time. I was always one of those "practical vacation" people--trips to see relatives, or to see educational or new experience places like the ocean or historical sites or museums. When my oldest daughter turned 16, my husband and I got to thinking that we didn't have much more time for all of us to go on vacations together and decided that Disneyworld was one of those places that you kind of "have to" go to once in your life. I had never before been interested because I just assumed it was out-of-reach expensive, and probably not at all worth it. I sucked it up, resigned myself to spending the money, and we went. Then the strangest thing happened--my husband and I loved the place more than the kids did. Sure, they had fun...but we LOVED it. We've been back twice with our youngest daughter, and can't wait to go again. My oldest daughter is going for her honeymoon in September, and my husband and I are hoping to go for a just-the-two-of-us trip at the beginning of F&W. We are even planning a 2014 family reunion there!

I know you said Glenda doesn't like buffets, and doesn't like to pay for breakfast food...but that she loves all things Pooh and hates crowds. So...I am suggesting that you at least think about an ADR at Crystal Palace in MK. It is a character meal with the whole Pooh crew! Yes, it is a buffet, and they also do lunch and dinner, but there is a really special perk if you go with a breakfast ADR: you can walk down Main Street USA BEFORE the park opens and the hoardes have entered. It is an amazing feeling having that view to the castle almost to yourselves...and a great photo opportunity. We did this on our last trip because we brought my daughter's friend who also loved Pooh and had never been to WDW. It was a big hit with her, and it was awesome for us to see Main Street practically empty!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes me feel a lot better! All our other adult friends that enjoy it had gone as kids or with kids so it's nice to know that people go with old kids and no sentiment involved and fall in love with it!
She's still a bit nervous about the fact that she's taking a vacation away from her Kindergarten class to go to Disney, though! We barely even noticed anyone else on our honeymoon. Unless the kids were being cute or something we were in our own little bubble!

I'll definitely have to look into Crystal Palace. Whenever we talk about vacations she mentions not wanting to see characters because it's creepy "except Pooh! I have to meet Pooh!". Lol. Okay mom...suuure you don't want to take pictures with characters (I said the same thing, I jump in character lines all the time!)
But, I'll admit, I have a hard time spending that much money on breakfast! Just not a fan. Unless they offer cheeseburgers for breakfast! Lol.
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #107
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Disney shoes!

I bought my park shoes today! I also needed new shoes for work so that's why I'm getting them so far in advance. I have to wear closed toe shoes at work so I got one pair of sandals and one pair of closed toe shoes from Crocs.com.
I recently got moved into the DVD department at work and I can wear any color shoe instead of black now! Hopefully these will be comfortable enough to stand for 8 hours and walk for 8 hours. Recently, when I get off work, I'm practically limping because my feet hurt



And I got these as well


Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #108
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer
 
kansasdisneygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas -- 1500 miles from Disney World :(
Posts: 335

Cute shoes!! I didn't know that Crocs made cute shoes

I plan on buying a pair of TOMS before we go! They're so comfy!
__________________
kansasdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #109
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,747

CUTEST SHOES!!! Jasmine is loving both of them and wanted to know where you found those Crocs! She works 8 hour shifts on her feet too so she wants a report on how they are

Girl...I am so on the playoff bandwagon.....I am still heartbroken that we're not in but I'll get over it...eventually I cannot wait for Pittsburgh/Philadephia tomorrow night....can you say blood bath For the first round I'll definitely be cheering on Ottawa...I can't say I'll be cheering for Vancouver, after what happened after the last game last year....well, I was disgusted! So Ottawa it is....I'll let you know who my other pics are...gotta run to work!
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #110
BDL
DIS Veteran
 
BDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Watertown, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam33 View Post
I bought my park shoes today! I also needed new shoes for work so that's why I'm getting them so far in advance. I have to wear closed toe shoes at work so I got one pair of sandals and one pair of closed toe shoes from Crocs.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
CUTEST SHOES!!!
Girl...I am so on the playoff bandwagon.....I am still heartbroken that we're not in but I'll get over it...eventually I cannot wait for Pittsburgh/Philadephia tomorrow night....can you say blood bath For the first round I'll definitely be cheering on Ottawa...I can't say I'll be cheering for Vancouver, after what happened after the last game last year....well, I was disgusted! So Ottawa it is....I'll let you know who my other pics are...gotta run to work!
Sam... It is NEVER too early to start breaking in Disney shoes. You don't want them too new. That leads to blisters on the side and the heel. You don't want them too worn. The leads to blisters on the toes and the sole. I am speaking from experience here. BDLsgal had perfectly broken in shoes and comfy walks.

QoAT... Looks like we are rooting for all the same teams. Though my reasons are very selfish.

LET'S GO BRUINS!!! (clap... clap... clap clap clap)
__________________
December 10-17th PTR



BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #111
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
CUTEST SHOES!!! Jasmine is loving both of them and wanted to know where you found those Crocs! She works 8 hour shifts on her feet too so she wants a report on how they are

Girl...I am so on the playoff bandwagon.....I am still heartbroken that we're not in but I'll get over it...eventually I cannot wait for Pittsburgh/Philadephia tomorrow night....can you say blood bath For the first round I'll definitely be cheering on Ottawa...I can't say I'll be cheering for Vancouver, after what happened after the last game last year....well, I was disgusted! So Ottawa it is....I'll let you know who my other pics are...gotta run to work!
I will give you a FULL REPORT on how the shoes go! The sandals got better comfort ratings than the the closed-toe shoes so hopefully the closed-toe work out. I'm sick of limping!

And Kansasdisneygal, I totally know what you mean about cute crocs! They started in Boulder (20 minutes away and where I went to school) and we stopped in the big original store and there were cute shoes there and it was crazy....I hear they're super comfy so I decided to give it a try and they're cute in picture! Can't wait until they arrive



And I have to say, I can NOT cheer for Ottawa. I hate Craig Anderson. He treated our team like crap, gave up on us, and expected a crazy paycheck despite played like crap for a whole season. I LOVE lighting him up.

And I like the Bruins, but I don't like teams other than the Avs winning twice in a row. So despite liking the Bruins, I don't want them to win again. And a lot o Vancouver fans are pretty awful (on the internet at least) but my best friend is a Canucks fan and I want him happy! I already warned him that there's a couple teams out there that will make me root against the Nucks.
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #112
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Sam... It is NEVER too early to start breaking in Disney shoes. You don't want them too new. That leads to blisters on the side and the heel. You don't want them too worn. The leads to blisters on the toes and the sole. I am speaking from experience here. BDLsgal had perfectly broken in shoes and comfy walks.

QoAT... Looks like we are rooting for all the same teams. Though my reasons are very selfish.

LET'S GO BRUINS!!! (clap... clap... clap clap clap)
ottawa winning will definitely make your road to the repeat earlier! But I love the Rangers this year.

But I can't decide who I want to win out of Pens/Flyers. I'm just hoping for a good and entertaining hockey series. Should be entertaining.

Man, I can't wait. I'm glad I have tomorrow night off. Should be awesome!
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #113
Merida
DIS Veteran
 
Merida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 735

I'm subbing in - even though you're a Buffs fan (I guess technically I need to be, well, fond of the Rams since coming out here for grad school).

Did you order those crocs online or in-store? We head down to Boulder fairly frequently and I kind of want to try on the blue striped shoes - they're really cute!

Also, you should always want the Pens to lose because they are a terrible, no good, very bad team (what can I say? I'm from Philly and there are NO Philly people out here, but a surprising number of Pittsburgh fans!)
__________________
Merida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #114
runrussellrun
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 11

There's something for the entire family!
runrussellrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #115
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
I'm subbing in - even though you're a Buffs fan (I guess technically I need to be, well, fond of the Rams since coming out here for grad school).

Did you order those crocs online or in-store? We head down to Boulder fairly frequently and I kind of want to try on the blue striped shoes - they're really cute!

Also, you should always want the Pens to lose because they are a terrible, no good, very bad team (what can I say? I'm from Philly and there are NO Philly people out here, but a surprising number of Pittsburgh fans!)
Pittsburgh has an INSANE amount of fans here. SO ANNOYING. The Pens Avs game this year was 40/60! And I bet half didn't follow hockey before the lockout...Steelers fans are everywhere here as well
I DO like the Pens, but I like variety in Stanley Cups so would probably prefer a Flyers win!

I got those on-line after double-checking that I can return them or exchange them in person at the Boulder store. I like 20 minutes away from Boulder and didn't want to go down there for shoes but I don't like returning things in the mail! They still haven't come in yet which is weird since they ship from Boulder... Oh well!
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #116
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Half hour until puck drop!
Got my playoff beer
And my playoff shirt


And I'm ready to go!
Go Nucks, Preds and Flyers for today!
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #117
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam33 View Post
Here ya go! http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/1...ado-margarita/

Make sure you blend it REALLY well. The smoothness is the best part and if there's tiny chunks of ice it really takes away from it.
I've been meaning to tell you -- we made these last weekend.

I've never tried them at Epcot, so can't compare, but they were very good. My wife doesn't really like a strong alcohol taste, so she had a little and then let me have the rest. We made a double batch, so there was enough for about 4 margaritas.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #118
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I've been meaning to tell you -- we made these last weekend.

I've never tried them at Epcot, so can't compare, but they were very good. My wife doesn't really like a strong alcohol taste, so she had a little and then let me have the rest. We made a double batch, so there was enough for about 4 margaritas.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
No problem! My new goal in life is sharing the goodness of the avocado margarita to the masses.
I definitely noticed the ones in Disney were less strong. Probably because they use nicer ingredients? The first time we made them the fancy liquor was on sale so we made them nicer.
They're just too good.






While I'm here I suppose I'll do a little update. We're in Glennbo's planning doldrums right now only on the other side of all the excitement!
We can't book yet because my mom STILL doesn't know where she'll be teaching next year. Basically, she is a full-day kindergarten teacher but the district only does half-day so she's technically a public school teacher but her pay depends on tuition for the full-day kindergarten. She's 1 or 2 kids away from a full classroom and she hasn't hear whether they'll go ahead and keep it next year or whether they'll get rid of the full day and send her somewhere else. She's tenured so she'll for sure have a job somewhere but WHERE we don't know and that has huge implications on this trip.

She doesn't want to take a bunch of days off with a new school and administration whereas with her old school she already has a good reputation. We're also planning around conferences in which she'll have extra days off of school with no kids so we can stay longer.

Once we book we're only 16 days away from the 180 day mark so we're really close to getting the ball rolling on plans again! It's been boring lately!
EMH and park times are out for the week we're most likely going but park recommendations from easywdw.com aren't out for November yet.


I'm a little bummed because it looks like fantasy land might not be open by the time we go. I assumed fall 2012 would be before November! REALLY hoping it's ready in time. And Test Track will probably be down still as well. We're missing two big things by about a week! Oh well. She won't know the difference!

I think that's all for now. Hopefully I'm back in the next week announcing that we booked! Crossing my fingers



QUEEN! My shoes came in. The size was WAY off so if you guys like the shoes try and find a store to go to! And unfortunately the cute blue and white striped ones were too clunky and weird shaped and didn't work out
But the sandals are adorable (although the brown color was weird in real life so I got black when I exchanged them). SO comfortable. I exchanged the striped shoes for navy boat shoes which were incredibly comfortable.
If you do go with the website they run a little big
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #120
Sam33
DIS Veteran
 
Sam33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
It's always hit and miss when shopping online isn't it? Thanks for the tip!

Watching the flyers game right now....wbu?
Yup! Go Flyers! Not looking great so far
The Devils irritate me. I like several of their players...but I just hate that team for some reason
Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.