Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Restaurants

I'll start with a list of places I've eaten before with a short review

Tony's (on both trips): My favorite Disney restaurant. 80% of that is theme and 20% food haha. Food is decent but I just love love love Lady and the Tramp and Italian food in general.

Rose & Crown (with the in-laws): Didn't like the menu. I just don't like that type of food. Everyone else liked it, though

50's Prime Time (Both trips): I like the fried chicken but I'm not a fan of comfort food. So that's the only thing I order there. I LOVE the theme and I think my mom would get a kick out of it but I also really want to try Sci-Fi so I'm thinking we stop in here for a drink at the bar so she can see it but not eat there.

Wolfgang Puck (in-laws): I can't remember what I ordered but I remember it was inedible and I hate off of SIL's pizza. We probably won't be having a sit-down meal in DTD, though.

Boma (in-laws): Had breakfast here. I don't like breakfast or buffets... nice ambiance, I guess!

Nine Dragons (in-laws): I liked it and so did everyone in our party. It gets bad reviews but I didn't mind it. Both me and my mom aren't big fans of Asian food, though. (EXCEPT CRAB CHEESE WONTONS! MMMM)

Mama Melrose (in-laws): I thought it was yummy. Can't remember well enough

Tutto (honeymoon): My spaghetti was too salty but DHs sandwich was fantastic. Not worth eating at again with so many new places to try but still good!

Coral Reef (honeymoon): we loved it!

Plaza (honeymoon): we loved this one, too. Definitely in the running for the mom/daughter trip!

I think that's it!
I surveyed my mom a bit and determined that she's not a fan of Mexican food (boo! Mexican is some of my favorite), she doesn't like spending money for things like breakfast food so none of our ADRs will be breakfast. And she doesn't like buffets. So on those notes we're the same. She also said that she cares more about ambiance than food. So basically we want ambiance with at least mediocre food.

I want to do mostly new restaurants but I'm having trouble letting go of Tony's! Also, my mom thinks Coral Reef sounds awesome with the tank so that will probably be a repeat. The rest of the restaurants I've been considering:
-Sci-Fi (we'll probably spend 1 half day at DHS. My least favorite park and when planned correctly only takes me a couple of hours to do everything i want. And my mom doesn't like thrill rides so cutting RnRC out of the plan saves more time). We need one DHS restaurant and the theme of this one sounds neat and I love me a burger! I don't want to do 50's again and Brown Derby isn't really an option because of price. And H&V is a buffet so it's either this or Mama Melrose.

-Grand Floridian Cafe the burger looks so good. And I think my mom would enjoy walking around the Grand Floridian! Such a pretty hotel

- Kona Cafe the wings and potstickers mmm and the coffee! Love the coffee! We have to go over to the poly at some point anyways because we have to get Lapu Lapus!

- Chefs De France we were supposed to go here on our honeymoon but had to cancel on our last night because we were too tired and our reservation wasn't until 9pm. My mom loves French food and the mac & cheese looks SO good

- Coral Reef this is probably our only for sure one because my mom is so excited about the aquarium. She LOVES animals and thinks this sounds great. And I want more lobster ravioli

- Via Napoli I love Italian and the pictures look delicious.

MAYBE a signature. If we do I'm debating between Narcoosee's and Citricos so we can go watch Wishes from the beach afterwards but we may non do a signature.

And can't rule out Tony's or the Plaza...

basically I want to do 5 meals at least. MAYBE 6. 2 in the MK area (MK or monorail resorts), 2 in Epcot, 1 in DHS and maybe one extra.
We also decided we're going to do mainly lunches because it's a little cheaper and we don't want to fill up on counter-service when we have a delicious table service to look forward to! On our honeymoon we did mostly dinners and weren't very hungry for them. And we ended up canceling one because we got tired. We probably won't be too tired at noon!

Sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Sam33
DIS Veteran

CASEY (my husband) GOT A 2ND INTERVIEW! After his first interview they warned him they were doing 3 rounds of interviews. So after this one we have to hope for one more interview before we know if he got the job! What's important is he survived the first cut! Prayers and vibes!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

Hi! Enjoying your PTR! I'm the oldest of 4 girls so I never went to WDW growing up either. My parents just couldn't afford it. I went for the first time with DBF in May 2011 at the wonderful age of 23! We are planning to go back in May 2013. (Would be this May but we're both still in school and WDW is expensive!)

We did the DDP & saved $97.01. I made sure to write down the price of EVERYTHING to see the savings. OOP it would have been $740.87 & the DDP was $643.86. We are both dessert eaters though, so you may have to head on over to Allears.net & look at the menus to do some calculating & see if it's right for you. I would only do it if it saved you money. DBF, however, said his favorite part about the DDP is the sheer convenience of just handing over your KTTW card!

1 of our favorite restaurants is Ohana! It is a buffet, but THEY bring the food to YOU!

You start with a yummy loaf of 'Welcome Bread' & then get potstickers, wings, noodles & broccoli

They then bring around skewers of chicken, pork, steak, & shrimp! & the best part is the dessert. Bread pudding with caramel sauce & bananas... topped with ice cream.

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Thanks for reading! Sounds like we have parallel Disney lives! I looked into Ohana as well but the parts I was most excited about (sticky wings) were at Kona as well! And I read a lot about over-cooked meat. My meat has to be red in the middle! Lol. I'll definitely consider it! Do they have the fancy coffee at ohana as well or is that just at Kona?

We usually avoid resort dining to maximize park time but since we're taking it slow this time I'm really excited to try out some resort restaurants!

We're trying to get my 25 year old brother to come with us but he doesn't seem to interested. He said he'd be willing to be talked into it but we decided we'd rather go without boys!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

I don't remember them having coffee. We are thinking about trying out the Kona cafe this time around... & by we I mean me & all of my obsessive planning

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetmeinmontauk View Post
I don't remember them having coffee. We are thinking about trying out the Kona cafe this time around... & by we I mean me & all of my obsessive planning
I'm the exact same way. Planning our honeymoon I drove Casey crazy. He just wanted to go and have fun and I wanted to plan every minute!
I've now learned that my family may be okay with me planning everything but they don't want to have to hear about it!

I'll definitely be reading along with your PTR as well. Looks like it's time for an update

Half the reason I wanted Kona was literally for the coffee. I LOVE plain black coffee and want to try it so bad!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

DBF & I were originally supposed to go to WDW this May but he decided that we should go in 2011 because I wouldn't shut up about it & an update is def coming soon!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Dates update!

I JUST got off the phone with my mom and she has her schedule for 2012/2013 school year now! She looked it over and it looks like she has conferences on the Wednesday and Thursday that we were supposed to leave on (if we went over Vet's day) but the good news is she could get Friday off because it's just a work day and the kids don't come in so we'd be able to add an extra day to our trip! It's looking more and more like we'll be doing Vet's day 2012. It will be the week between our birthdays which will make it even more special (her's on the 9th, mine on the 16th). The only thing that will stop this is if she has to switch schools and they have different conferences (which they probably will) so we're hoping she gets to stay in her current situation!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Ugh. My husband is talking to his friend on facebook and she said she was "twitterpated" with a coworker. He didn't know what that meant! AH

Looks like we have a Bambi movie night coming up...

He thought it meant she was constipated with twitter.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

ok so I LOVE your ideas so far for dining.

We absolutely LOVED Grand Floridian Café. We had made our reservation for the earliest supper time slot and where amongst the first seated. The restaurant was QUIET :O and the service was great. I had fish (miam) and my girlfriend had steak (the steak was great but the sides where DELICIOUS). Dessert was ok. We got a tray with a sample of all four desserts and a cool mickey made out of chocolate but if you are not on dining plan I would skip on dessert.

Kona Café sticky wings are great. We ended up stranded in WDW and walked up to the restaurant in late afternoon. They let us have a table and we shared a plate of wings. DELICIOUS... oh and we definitely had the coffee too!

The Coral Reef atmosphere is great. I hope you get a seat near the aquarium window.

anyways I'm talking too much. Looking forward to hearing more of your plans.

Btw I hope your husband gets that job..(and watches Bambi too, that's unacceptable :P)

OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
stasijane
Crazed one

How much fun to be planning a trip with your mother, I am right there with you though, no one understands how much adult fun you can have there. I secretly go for the alcohol
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

I tried to talk to my mom about coming with us next year. I still can't seem to convince her. She isn't a thrill ride person & I tried to explain that there aren't even that many of those! I told her that there were plenty of adult things to do! One day I'll get her to join in!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
ok so I LOVE your ideas so far for dining.

We absolutely LOVED Grand Floridian Café. We had made our reservation for the earliest supper time slot and where amongst the first seated. The restaurant was QUIET :O and the service was great. I had fish (miam) and my girlfriend had steak (the steak was great but the sides where DELICIOUS). Dessert was ok. We got a tray with a sample of all four desserts and a cool mickey made out of chocolate but if you are not on dining plan I would skip on dessert.

Kona Café sticky wings are great. We ended up stranded in WDW and walked up to the restaurant in late afternoon. They let us have a table and we shared a plate of wings. DELICIOUS... oh and we definitely had the coffee too!

The Coral Reef atmosphere is great. I hope you get a seat near the aquarium window.

anyways I'm talking too much. Looking forward to hearing more of your plans.

Btw I hope your husband gets that job..(and watches Bambi too, that's unacceptable :P)
I saw the menu and pictures of GFC and had to go! That one is definitely set in stone. Plus, it gives us an excuse to head over to the Grand Floridian. I'm pretty sure my mom would just love the inside! Will definitely make us feel way more classy than we really are!

We stayed at the Poly with the in-laws but we didn't eat at any of the Poly restaurants for some reason. I want the coffee! And whether we eat there or not we HAVE to get the drinks in the pineapple. Those look so awesome!

man, I hope he gets that job too. I've been trying to be supportive with all the unpaid internships and he wants a job more than I want him to have a job. But I'm SO ready to not have to pinch pennies! Hopefully I get him to watch Bambi soon. It's one of my least favorite Disney movies (which isn't saying much, I still love them all) so if I can talk him into watching a Disney movie I can't decide if I want to waste it on that one! SO lucky my SIL and her girlfriend are as into Disney as me! I lived with them my last year of college and we watched Disney movies every night! Was excellent
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #29
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post
How much fun to be planning a trip with your mother, I am right there with you though, no one understands how much adult fun you can have there. I secretly go for the alcohol
We just decided we weren't going to upgrade hotels to the Boardwalk like we talked about earlier because we want to use the $700 we'd save on alcoholic beverages! We're basically planning the days around where the fanciest drinks are
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #30
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetmeinmontauk View Post
I tried to talk to my mom about coming with us next year. I still can't seem to convince her. She isn't a thrill ride person & I tried to explain that there aren't even that many of those! I told her that there were plenty of adult things to do! One day I'll get her to join in!
Keep trying! I got to a whole new level of obnoxious before my mom agreed to come. And I think she's starting to get excited! We've never been on a trip just me and her before so we're both really excited to spend time together! I lived at home over the summers during college so moving out for good this summer was hard on both of us! My mom hates thrill rides, too but I've talked her into everything but Rock n' roller coaster. Hopefully I don't kill her! Ha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: