Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
OziJo
Mouseketeer

We Had the Best Trip Ever! Maholo WWoHP, WDW & Waikiki- A Jan 2012 TR

I really couldn't think of anything clever to write as a title so I just thought I would state the bleedin' obvious. It was the best trip ever

We spent 11 nights at the Fort Wilderness and 10 Nights on the beach at Waikiki. While this TR will focus mainly on our Orlando adventures I have had requests for pics and stories from Hawaii so will happily oblige.

I have already done a mini TR for the Camping forum. I wanted to highlight FW separately as it was a wonderful place to relax and unwind after the parks and I felt it deserved special photographic treatment all it's own. I will repost some of those pics here but the link is in my sig. if anyone wants to check it out.

Shall I introduce the "We"?

DD3(13) Hannah, DD1(18) Caitlin & DD2(15) Clair with Woody and Jessie

Me-Jo at La Hacienda:

DH-Mark After Jurassic Park Ride "Warning you may get wet":

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.

Last edited by OziJo; 01-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Day 1 Wed 4th Jan

After a nice run into the airport we checked in and made it through security and customs with a couple of hours to spare. We bought some headphones for my iPhone and then had our last Maccas meal for a while. I refuse to eat Maccas while in the US. There are far better fast food joints

Our last view of Sydney for a while:

We were randomly chosen for an explosives pat down. Fun!! But soon boarded and settled in for our 14+ hr flight to Dallas. The flight left pretty much on time and we were in the air 4:10pm.

All in all the flight was reasonably comfortable and uneventful. I manged a few hours of sleep DH and kids less.

We landed in Fort Worth on schedule, made our way through immigration, customs, security and rechecked our luggage.

We transferred terminals via the monorail (a wonderfully efficient system)...

...and waited for our flight to Orlando

While waiting at Fort Worth I loaded up my i-phone with my T-mobile sim and was happy to receive a message from Garden Grocer saying that our groceries had been delivered to our Cabin 2143. What a great service

Flight to Orlando was ontime and uneventful. We arrived on schedule at approx. 9pm, picked up our luggage and hooked up with DME no problemo

On the way to WDW we were treated to a cute preview video. The trip to Fort Wilderness took about 40mins and included stops at 3 other resorts on the way. We arrived and checked in and were in our Cabin just after 11pm.

Greeted by this:

We were tired and hungry. Sooo glad we had ordered Groceries!! Hot Dogs and Salad for dinner. Bed by midnight. Everything is proceeding according to plan

2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.

Last edited by OziJo; 02-08-2012 at 06:25 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
dara00
DIS Veteran

fun, looking forward to reading all about it!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

I've subscribed

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

No surprises that I'm subbing in too!!
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Me 2 x 2.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dara00 View Post
fun, looking forward to reading all about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
I've subscribed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
No surprises that I'm subbing in too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Me 2 x 2.
Hi guys

Better get to it then

Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Day 2 Thurs 5th Jan

Woken by Mousekeeping at 8:30am! I had warned DH that that might happen and suggested that we should put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign. He said that it might be a good idea to be woken up but I didn't really think it would be that early. Anyway it wasn't such a bad thing as we really shouldn't have slept much longer. An extra hour might have done the trick though.

We let the kids sleep a little longer while we checked out the Cabin and surrounds:

Squirrels everywhere. I loved 'em!

Got the kids up and DH, DD3 and I went for a walk. DH then went off to pick up our car from Alamo and DD3 and I continued on. Fort Wilderness was as beautiful if not more beautiful than all the pictures I had seen online. Pine cones scatterd, piped Christmas music and some decorations still up. Lovely light through the trees, clear pathways for walking and of course Squirrels. Meadow Trading Post, Settlement and Marina.

Back at the Cabin we had lunch on the deck...
...until a pine cone dropped with a thud. They made quite a loud noise when they fell so we decided it might be better not to sit out there.

DH made it back with the car despite the GPS taking him to the Wilderness Lodge She kept doing that (she couldn't deal with Fort Wilderness as a destination ) until we entered our Cabin location as "Home". Then she was set.

After lunch we decided to take the plunge and head out to the Premium Outlets. We set the GPS for 1200 Vineland Rd. She had no probs with that address. Trust a women to know where the shops were

We didn't go too crazy- converse for all DD's, tops and bottoms for everyone, some underwear, a Skull Candy flat rim cap and other bits and pieces. We couldn't carry any more. The place was madness and I didn't really want to go back there. DH and the girls had more fun than me. I did enjoy shopping at Ala Moana though so more of that later.

I only took one photo while we were there. It was before we had shopped.

The girls were a little tired but they picked up once we got to the Converse store

On the way home we stopped at Wal Mart. Wow that place is huge. DD2 did some videoing but no photos.

Pizza and salad for dinner. Bed by 10pm

Last edited by OziJo; 02-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Sounds like the perfect first day chil-laxing and shopping at the World.

The cabins and surrounds of FW look beautiful.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to hearing more. I like the look of Fort Wilderness - had a little peek there when we went to Hoop de doo Review! Glad you had a great time!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sounds like the perfect first day chil-laxing and shopping at the World. It was

The cabins and surrounds of FW look beautiful. They were. I'm so glad we stayed there. I miss it I want to go back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Looking forward to hearing more. I like the look of Fort Wilderness - had a little peek there when we went to Hoop de doo Review! Glad you had a great time!
Thanks for stopping by! HDDR was fun wasn't it

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Yay - love Aussie reports!

Can't wait to read more

2014 - Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I'm joining in.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Day 3 Fri 6th Jan

I just thought I might backtrack here and explain a little about what inspired us to make the 21hr journey to Florida. Well "that's obvious" I hear you all say. "Disney of course!" But that's only part of the reason and if it was all then we probably would have stopped on the West Coast like we did in '09. Now having done WDW we are so glad that we did go that bit further. Even if we never make it back (DD3 and I have already started thinking of how and when) we will always have WDW '12.

But our main inspiration this time was the boy Wizard Harry Potter and the lure of his Wizarding WorldFrom the day we heard they were going to open a Potter World we knew one day we would go there. No matter how far, no matter the cost (well that did matter a little so we had to save )

So today was the day we had all been waiting for. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter awaited!!!

The morning started at 6:30am after not a great night sleep. Jetlag means not so much that you are tired but that your body is telling you it's not sleep time while all other factors natural and man made (the environment & the clock) say otherwise. So we all hadn't slept that well. But that was not going to stop us

It was interesting to see the different ways we all coped. Us adults having had experience knew that adrenaline soon kicks in and it gets better as the day goes on. So we were fine despite some travel related aches and pains. DD1 was over excited to be going to WWoHP. An original Potterite, at 18 she was seeing her childhood dreams coming true. DD3 was her usual steady self. She's still a real kid and was looking forward to a day of fun. DD2 on the other hand was not coping well. She had been really excited for this trip but the reality of travel had brought her down and she was somewhat grumpy snapping at everyone and even had the nerve to say that DD1's over excited behaviour was annoying . She did pick up though and the photos show her to be having as good a time as any of us.

We were in the car by 8am with the idea of being there by 8:30. DH was a little nervous about driving, it had been 3 years since he driven on the "wrong" side of the road. He quickly got used to it but our GPS confused us on the first freeway entrance then directed us to a back entrance to IoA instead of the carpark.

After some old fashioned asking of directions we finally found the massive car park (you really can't miss it), paid an extra $5 for preferred parking and parked close to the car park exit in the Cat in the Hat section!

Then we were off, following the crowds which seemed reasonable at this point, we found our way to Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Last edited by OziJo; 02-01-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryr1oz View Post
Yay - love Aussie reports!

Can't wait to read more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I'm joining in.
Hi ya :

(Day 3 cont)
We made our way to Island's of Adventure

We went past Suess Land & Aladdin Land and headed straight for Hogsmead:

DD1 is sooo excited:

I felt really excited at this point too. I had that weird out of body experience like I was watching it all on a giant screen. I couldn't believe we were actually here

The crowds were getting thicker and thicker as we walked through the gates into Hogsmead:

DH & DD2 in front of the Hogwart's Express:

The buildings were amazing:

Hogwarts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: