Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Plantar Fasciitis sufferers: Slippers recommendation needed!

I got laid off from work on December 30th, so I've been home a lot for the last few weeks. I hate wearing shoes or sneakers inside my house, so I've been going around barefoot or just socks most of the time. Needless to say, this has really done a job on my feet.

This morning I put on my sneakers (with my custom orthotics inside) as soon as I got up, and my feet feel about 75% better today.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a brand of slippers that offers good support for PF sufferers. I guess I could always buy a new pair of New Balance to wear only indoors, but I'd like to try slippers first.

Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
GraysMom
DIS Veteran

I have PF and also wear sneakers with custom ortho inserts. The only "slippers" I am able to wear are Haflingers clogs. They are sheepskin inside (so great for the winter, but fairly toasty in the summer) with a cork bedding and rubber sole, so I can wear them outside to get the mail or whatever. Here is a link to a photo of the pair I have http://www.zappos.com/haflinger-gzl-...-grizzly-black .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

i have never found any slippers that have the kind of support my feet need. When my feet are flared up (like now) I just have to wear my New Balance shoes with the custom orthotics. I can get away with wearing flipflops from time to time, but not often.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
HappyGilmore
It is never to late to have a happy childhood!!!

I have crocs..ther are quick on off and REALLY supper squishy so I have 0% pain when walking either first thing in the morning or after I take off my shoes after work with the inserts. Give them a try I think you will find them heavenly!!
Magic 6/9/00
Magic 9/2/00
Wonder 10/11/01
Wonder 9/1/02
Wonder 2/13/03
Wonder 9/1/05
Wonder 9/25/08
Dream 6/12/11
Dream 2/9/12
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

I have PF and also wear the Haflingers. Mine are a boiled wool kind with cork bottom.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
lucas
°o°

Around the house, I alternate between Crocs and Orthaheels. Here is the Orthaheel link: http://www.orthaheelusa.com/women.html
QVC sells them, too - but not all the styles.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

I have PF and I love my Acord Spa thongs/flip flops. Zappos carries them in a number of colors for 38.00 a pair and they are maching washable. The memory foam is terrific.

I wonder - once you have PF, aside from it flaring up, does it ever go away or are you always susceptible to it?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

I'll second or third Crocs. These really made a difference for me when I was going through PF. Don't EVER walk around barefoot with PF. They should be right by your bed when you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night! And you know to stretch your foot really well before you get out of bed, right? There are a couple of threads on the boards about PF and how to help yourself. Good luck. It's a terrible scourge.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
maslex
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Beachbumpirates;43875617]I wonder - once you have PF, aside from it flaring up, does it ever go away or are you always susceptible to it?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this also. I know I had it YEARS ago (maybe 15-20yrs ago) and have been fine until this past August when it came back. I'm really crossing my fingers that this is the last time I get it. It truly is awful.

I also do not wear shoes in the house (unless it's between my bus runs) so I wear my New Balance all day long until I get home at night. But then I go barefoot. I know you're not supposed to but I never really thought of getting a special pair of slippers. Might have to take a look. Granted, I don't do much barefoot walking once I'm home at night (just when I'm cooking dinner, cleaning up afterwards and then back/forth to the bathroom) but I'm sure that isn't helping the PF one bit.

I have been having a different problem with my PF foot and I'm not real sure that it's from the PF or if it's from something totally different. I have PF in my left foot. Well, on the outside of the foot, along the bottom it feels really bruised I can feel it like when I move my toes around, if that part of my foot touches anything and basically whenever I move my foot around. It's weird. I don't remember if I had this feeling when I had PF years ago. Do any of you have the same thing? Or do you think I did something else to it? I don't remember ever bumping it or injuring it. What do you think? I think that once I turned 40 last year, I've started to just crumble. LOL I'm falling apart!!!
maslex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

I wear Merrells' slip ons as slippers.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...e?dimensions=0

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

My podiatrist recommends the Adidas slide

http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Calissa...7848990&sr=8-2

and I love flip-flops (podiatrists ok'd them as well) and i wear these around the house:

http://www.soleprovisionsshop.com/Fi..._p/138-030.htm
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I have PF and wear these slippers at home:

http://www.acorn.com/product/acorn-s...urPicks&page=4

I like that it goes around your whole foot and you can loosen/tighten them. They're like walking on clouds.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I wear the fuzzy crocs (mammoths?) and I put an OTC insert in them. I have pretty much been living in them around the house since it got too cold to wear my Fit Flops.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post

I wonder - once you have PF, aside from it flaring up, does it ever go away or are you always susceptible to it?
It depends on WHY you have PF. Some people develop PF due to injuries sustained during exercise, like running, walking, or aerobics. Others develop PF because the structure of their foot lends itself to inflammation and instability. In my case, I have flat feet. Not just flattened feet, but both of my feet have collapsed internally--the bones are completely on the floor. It causes a lot of pain and disability in my feet, ankles and calf muscles. The only thing that helps is wearing good shoes with orthotics, Physical therapy, icing, and pain relievers.

All that said, it has been about 7 years since I had a problem with PF. I have some other problems, like post-tibial tendinitis that flares up regularly. But at least the plantar fascia has settled down. The structural instability of my feet will always make me tend to have pain and inflammation.I have to take care of my feet every day, to keep PF from getting out of hand and causing other problems.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to check out all of the links that were posted.

I need to get this under control. I hate being in such pain just trying to *walk*

I also have fibromyalgia, and when my PF is flaring badly then I tend to tense up as I walk, and that leads to pain all over, and fatigue.

John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: