Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Mother/Daughter Spring Break Trip - March 2012

Hello!

I need a place for my rambling thoughts, ever changing plans, and general Disney Planning!

Background: My daughter (age 8) and I started doing mother/daughter trips during spring break for several years now. My wonderful DH is a CPA and March is prime tax season so unfortunately he is not able to travel to Spring break - ever! Usually by March, I'm tired of the cold weather and I'm itching to go somewhere.

The first couple of years, dd and I just went to visit my brother and his family. My dd has a cousin the same age as her. That was fine but they live in Denver and that was not satisfying my "get out of the cold" itch.

Two years ago, dd and I went to DisneyLand and had a wonderful time!

Last year we went to Orlando and just did Sea World and Aquatica. Another wonderful, warm time.

OOps, gotta run. Will come back for more.

Orlando Bound - June 2014!

Previous Trips to WDW - 2012, 2008, 2007, 2001, 1995, 1987
Sea World/Aquatica March 2011

Mother/Daughter trip to DisneyLand - March 2010

Last edited by momtoccc; 01-28-2012 at 05:57 PM.
momtoccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

I'm back!

Sorry for the interruption...

So.. last August, Camryn (my dd) and I started thinking about where we would like to go for this year's spring break. We did a family trip to WDW when she was almost 4 and had a great time, however she doesn't remember too much of it. So, we decided it should be WDW again. Our spring break is the week of March 12. I started doing a little research and found out that it is one of the most popular weeks for Spring Break besides the weeks before/after Easter. Bummer.. I really didn't want to go to WDW when it is packed.

Looked at her school calendar again.. Wait! They also have off March 8 and 9 for parent teacher conferences. While I always attend those, my DH could go and get report from the teacher and Camryn and I could go early! After looking at it a little more, I decided to take her out of school for 1 day (Wed, March 7) so we could fly down on Wed, have Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday and then fly home Monday. I think most of the crowds will start to arrive on Sat/Sun so we should have 2 days before it gets really crazy

So.. while I was figuring all of this out, and just about ready to book, Disney offered Free Dining! Yippee! I decided to bump up to moderate (POFQ) and signed us up. And since Camryn is 8 and likes more than just pizza and chicken nuggets, I paid the extra $30 or so and got the adult plan for her.

Now... it was almost time to make dining reservations.. more research required...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Yea for a Mother/daughter trip. I am planning on taking one with my DD next year. I am also hoping to take a trip to the World on that same weekend in March. My hopes is to get there on the evening of March 7th and leave on March 11th.
Corrine 1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
Yea for a Mother/daughter trip. I am planning on taking one with my DD next year. I am also hoping to take a trip to the World on that same weekend in March. My hopes is to get there on the evening of March 7th and leave on March 11th.
I'm sure you will have a great time. I'll let you know how our trip goes.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Dining Reservations....

I started reading reviews, looking to maybe try some new places and visit some previous ones...

But... before you can plan meals, you kinda have to know where you are going to be on any given day. So, I signed up for TouringPlans and looked at their recommendations. Looked at EasyWDW to see what they had to say.

We only have 4 days and I've never been to a WDW water park. We had so much fun at Aquatica last year that if it is warm enough, we would like to try one of the WDW ones. Looks like Blizzard Beach will be our only option.

I also know our 2 must-do parks are MK and HS. At the time I was planning, they only had Fantasmic scheduled a few nights a week at HS and Thursday was one of them. So I decided I would do the Fantasmic DInner Pkg at Mama Melrose's on Thursday. Camryn has never seen Fantasmic and I really want her to see it this time around. Since then, they've added Fantasmic to every night but I left my plans in place. Since Thursday was HS day, then Friday is going to MK day. Camryn LOVES Pooh so we are definitely going to Crystal Palace for one meal.

I considered O'hanas, Boma, I needed a place in Epcot, Yak & Yeti, etc...Another place I've never been is Liberty Tree Tavern...

I also debated what to do the night we arrive. Our flight gets to MCO 4:45pm so by the time we ride ME and get to POFQ and get checked in I figured it would be too late to go to any of the parks. I thought about going to another resort for dinner but given that you never know about airline travel...I passed on that idea. Hopefully we will get in on time and take the boat ride down to DTD and eat at Puck's Express.

So anyway.. not knowing for sure where we will be on Sat and Sunday, here were my original dining plans...

Thurs 3/8 - Fantasmic Dinner Pkg - Mama Melrose for lunch. I also made ADR for Sci-Fi Dine-in at 4:45 for snack/dinner before Fantasmic. I will pay for this OOP

Fri 3/9 - Crystal Palace for dinner

Sat 3/10 - Yak & Yeti for lunch (11:30) and LIberty Tree at 6:00 for dinenr

Sun 3/11 - La Hacienda at Epcot for dinner (6:00)

Mon 3/12 - O'hana breakfast before we leave WDW to fly home

I have more reservations than I have on meal plan but I figured I would pay for another one OOP.

That was the original plan......

Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Disney Transportation?

Another first for us on this trip is using Disney Transportation exclusively. Every other time I've gone to WDW we've had a rental car. I'm a little nervous about using the bus system only but for just the 2 of us, I can't see spending the extra $350.

I'm the type that likes the flexibility of leaving when I'm ready and coming home when I'm ready and not waiting... I also want to make Rope Drop and I'm not sure how early we will need to be waiting to catch the busses. I'm hoping it all goes ok...

So anyway... 2 years ago at DL, we went early each morning, came back to the hotel for mid afternoon break to swim and rest and then would go back in the evening. This worked great at DL because everything is so close. We also followed this plan on our last trip to WDW when Camryn was almost 4 (she needed those naps!).

However, Camryn and I were talking yesterday about whether we need those midday breaks this time. I just think that with the bus transportation, it will take a lot of time out of our day. We are not late night people so getting up early and getting a lot done will be good for us.

So... I think our current plan is to do a full day at DHS and then a full day at MK. On the 3rd day we are going to sleep in and either go to Blizzard Beach, maybe just swim at hotel and go to AK in the afternoon (or will this be useless?)

Can't figure out this one.. I made dining reservations at Yak & Yeti in case we are at AK that afternoon. OR.. if we just hang out at hotel or do BB, then we have reservations at Kona Cafe for dinner (which means I cancelled the Liberty Tree Tavern at MK for that night). We could always go over to MK after dinner if we are feeling up to it.. just not sure...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

So... I signed up for RideMax (used for our DL trip 2 years ago).. It is interesting how it doesn't do some things the way I would want. I wish you could over-ride a few things..

For instance. for TSM at HS, I want to just ride it first thing and not get a FP for it. It always says to just get the FP first. I hear the FP line can get really long and I think we could get in line right away and ride it within 20 minutes (especially if we are there at RD) We don't really care about riding it more than once.

However, we do want to ride ToT more than once. So my plan is to go straight to ToT after TSM, get a FP and then ride it. Then we will have the FP to use later in the day.

I also need to find out about the Disney Channel Rocks show. Camryn loves the Disney Channel shows so I need to see if this would be something to do. Guess I should ask on the main board..

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Ok.. so I checked out what the Disney Channel rocks show is all about and it is not from shows that my dd watches.. we may skip it. She wants to do the Phineas and Ferb meet so I need to put that in our schedule somewhere. I think we will also do the American Idol show once. She won't want to see the Cars show or the Indy show. We saw Beauty & beast last time.

I love RnR but I don't think she will be up for that ride yet... I'm betting we will ride ToT several times during the day. I also want to do Star Tours at least 1-2 times.

We have Fantasmic dinner pkg which I booked before they started adding Fantasmic to every night. We probably don't need it now but oh well..

So.. here is my thought on DHS day..

Get there at rope drop
TSM - ride
ToT - get FP and Ride
Great Movie Ride - ride
Star Tours - ride (get FP for later if we can)
Muppets 3-D
Mama Melrose for lunch - we have ADR at noon
Phineas & Ferb meet
Ride ToT, get another FP
Disney Animation
American Idol - 4pm show
Sci Fi Dine-in - ADR at 4:45 (tried to get a little later but can't)
Star Tours again?
ToT again?
Fantamisic show at 8pm (arrive at 7:30)

What do you think?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Corrine 1973

So my trip is definatly on and quess where I am staying . . . POFQ!! Small world.

From what I see of your plans, it looks like we will be going to MK on the same day. And since I plan on being there for RD, maybe we will see each other on the bus. I will be the woman alone having the time of my life. You can also check out my PTR in my siggy and see my picture so you know what I look like.

I am also doing Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Package. You just never know. The seats are to the right of the theatre. If I were you I would have your DH save your seats in the Dinning package section while you look for better seats in the other section and than call him if you find some.

Your plan looks really good, but if you really want to grab ToT FP's I would do it before you ride. The FP line should have deminished by the time you get off of TSM I would definatly do ST twice if you can. When my and my DS went last time we went 7 times (4 on one day and 3 on another) and it was a diffrent combination everytime.

Just so you know there is a Big DisMeet planned for the River Roost Lounge at POR on March 8 at 9pm. Would love to see you there, but understand if you cant make it. Here is a link to the Unofficial March Trip Planners Report if you want to get more information. Plus you can meet some more great people who are going the same time you go.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793446
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Corrine

So it is you and DH coming in March this year? And then you and dd next year? You and DH will have fun. My DH and I did a grown up trip a few years ago by ourselves (and stayed at POFQ!) We had so much fun in just a few days. The highlight for us was eating at Victoria & Albert's for dinner one night - WOW! What a once in a lifetime treat!

Anyway, this trip is just my dd and I so no DH to save us seats at Fantasmic.

I'm not sure I understood your suggestion about ToT. I was planning on getting FPs, then riding right away and using the FPs for later in the day. But this is after riding TSM first thing.

I'll look for you guys at POFQ. You can see pics of us on my DIsneyLand trip report from 2 years ago.

Getting excited - only a little over a month to go

Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Corrine - never mind - I need see that your ticker says solo trip - lucky you! How nice to get away by yourself for a few days. I'll be curious to hear how you liked it?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Corrine 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoccc View Post
Corrine

So it is you and DH coming in March this year? And then you and dd next year? You and DH will have fun. My DH and I did a grown up trip a few years ago by ourselves (and stayed at POFQ!) We had so much fun in just a few days. The highlight for us was eating at Victoria & Albert's for dinner one night - WOW! What a once in a lifetime treat!

Anyway, this trip is just my dd and I so no DH to save us seats at Fantasmic.

I'm not sure I understood your suggestion about ToT. I was planning on getting FPs, then riding right away and using the FPs for later in the day. But this is after riding TSM first thing.

I'll look for you guys at POFQ. You can see pics of us on my DIsneyLand trip report from 2 years ago.

Getting excited - only a little over a month to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoccc View Post
Corrine - never mind - I need see that your ticker says solo trip - lucky you! How nice to get away by yourself for a few days. I'll be curious to hear how you liked it?
Haha, no problem. It is definatly great to get out alone for a couple of days. I spend every waking moment with my kids that it will be nice to child free for a couple of days (though I will miss them crazy)

That is exactly what I was suggesting for ToT, so never mind and do what you are planning on doing.

I will definatly keep an eye out for you at POFQ, especially the MK day. I would love to see some pics of you DL trip. I love pics.

Yea almost just a month to go, and a short month also. I am getting so excited.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Oh yeah, I think I remember you now. I believe you are the one that said you probably won't make it to the Dismeet because you will be at Fantasmic, and DD is not a late night person! I am starting to connect the dots...names with stories.
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
Oh yeah, I think I remember you now. I believe you are the one that said you probably won't make it to the Dismeet because you will be at Fantasmic, and DD is not a late night person! I am starting to connect the dots...names with stories.
You know.. after I posted I thought you might be the one from the March thread that had the 9yo dd... funny

Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Hey, I followed you over from someone else's PTR (can't remember whose) - after all, we are all connected now anyways.

I just had to let you know that it looks like we are in AK together on Saturday morning (looks like you are hopping in the afternoon?), and we are also in Epcot together on Sunday...

I am anxious to hear what your other plans are, everything sounds fabulous so far.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: