Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
LaLalovesWDW
DIS Veteran

Cat behavior - normal or mine is mentally ill

Hey folks... I have a kitty. She will be two years old in June.
Over time, she has developed some strange habits and Im not sure if its normal or is she a little crazy. Im not trying to be funny...lol. Certain things I know cats do and its common. But when I did my research, there were a few things that I could not find that anyone else had experience with.

For instance - She constantly fights with inanimate objects. A random slipper, a hair barrette, a piece of tin foil... these have all been current victims of her wrath. She will sneak up on it, smack the slipper with her paw and then when it moves, she jumps like 10 feet in the air and runs away. LOL... It is the most hilarious thing Ive ever seen, but she just started that like 3 or 4 months ago.

When I go to the bathroom... she will run in there before me, hop up on the tub and sit in the far corner of the tub so she is almost behind me... and sits there until Im done...

She will not eat if I am not home, or better yet, standing near her food bowl. This is frustrating when I need to go away overnight or for a very long day.

Lately, she is extremely jumpy... everything scares her. You open a door, sneeze, cough, giggle, phone rings, you name it... she will jump sky high. She also jumps like that if you try and pet her and she didnt see you coming...

What about you?? Any quirky things your pet does??

Fun day trips - 1978 and 1986 * Offsite - 1990 * Offsite - 2002 * CBR - Christmas Week 2004 * CBR - December 2010* AKV - May 2011* WDW Dolphin Dec 2011* *CBR~Aug 2012* *CBR~Aug 2013*SSR ~ Dec 2013* *SSR ~ April/May 2014*

Just Me ,DD , and DK
LaLalovesWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLalovesWDW View Post
Hey folks... I have a kitty. She will be two years old in June.
Over time, she has developed some strange habits and Im not sure if its normal or is she a little crazy. Im not trying to be funny...lol. Certain things I know cats do and its common. But when I did my research, there were a few things that I could not find that anyone else had experience with.

For instance - She constantly fights with inanimate objects. A random slipper, a hair barrette, a piece of tin foil... these have all been current victims of her wrath. She will sneak up on it, smack the slipper with her paw and then when it moves, she jumps like 10 feet in the air and runs away. LOL... It is the most hilarious thing Ive ever seen, but she just started that like 3 or 4 months ago.

When I go to the bathroom... she will run in there before me, hop up on the tub and sit in the far corner of the tub so she is almost behind me... and sits there until Im done...

She will not eat if I am not home, or better yet, standing near her food bowl. This is frustrating when I need to go away overnight or for a very long day.

Lately, she is extremely jumpy... everything scares her. You open a door, sneeze, cough, giggle, phone rings, you name it... she will jump sky high. She also jumps like that if you try and pet her and she didnt see you coming...

What about you?? Any quirky things your pet does??
Sounds like typical cat behavior to me! Those felines are so fussy. And hilarious!

Our dog does some pretty nutso things but we love him anyways!
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

My cat and my cousins cat will fight with random objects. If it moves, they think it is alive and coming to get them!

Mine also runs into the bathroom before and hangs out in the sink or tub.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Sounds typical to me also. We have 6 of them. 2 of them constantly attack my hair clips, carry them around and then drop them, and run like crazy. I have 2 that have to come into the bathroom when I'm in there. One will sit at my feet and purr, and the other one hops on the edge of the tub and just stares. That one has a new trick. When I take a bath, she will sit on the edge of the tub, then wait till I lay back to relax, then she steps onto my chest , sits there, and purrs her head off while sticking her paws into the water, and this is the one who hates to get baths? I have 2 that are scared to death of the sound of tin foil, or shaking out a trash bag before putting it into the basket!

Cats are crazy sometimes!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

We have 2 cats; Monster is our 14-year-old female and Dio is our 7-year-old boy. Monster absolutely MUST go in the bathroom whenever DH is in there. He reports that when he's in the shower, she runs back and forth along the edge of the bathtub; sometimes she'll peek in to see if he's done yet. If he's doing something else, she gets on top of the vanity area and meows at him. Sometimes (um, when the opportunity presents itself), she'll climb onto his back. Her newest thing is that she's learned how to open the vanity cabinet and we often find her in there, licking the plastic wrap around the toilet paper.

Dio's only obsession with the bathroom is to sit in the tub after a shower and drink the water pooled around the drain (yeah, he drinks that water...and plays with the water in the drinking dish. Goofball).

Dio is the skittish one. If you sneeze, he takes off running and won't come back for a good half hour. Sometimes you don't even get the sneeze out; he runs away just before you do it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Totally normal!

My cat runs to his bowl as soon as we get home and starts eating like he is starved even though the food has been there all day.

He also attacks random objects and likes to observe the bathroom duties of the family. Watching people take showers is probably his favorite.

He also prefers to sit in sinks only moving if the water is turned on.

Cats are just strange.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

definitely normal cat behavior! My cat only likes to drink from the dogs water bowl and he scoops up the water with his paw and drinks from his paw. He will NOT bend down and sip the water straight from the bowl. When he is kneading he has to put his hind legs on a higher surface. For instance when he is on the bed he will put his hind legs on a pillow and then use his front paws to knead on the bed. I have no earthly idea why he can only knead at a 45 degree angle.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I think cats are naturally crazy! We have two and both are pretty quirky, but our little one, Nala, takes the cake!!!

She puts herself to sleep by sucking on her own nipples and purring.

She also growls at inanimate objects like a dog.

Bizarre little girl, but we love her!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

I have 5 cats. We have one cat that is skiddish about everything. She seems nervous all the time. I have a Siamese cat that has to be in the bathroom with me no matter what. If I do happen to get in there and shut the door he will lay on the floor and pound on the door with his paw and meow the entire time. All of my cats tend to battle inanimate objects at one time or another. The Siamese will sit in the shower while I am taking a shower. I guess he likes to take showers. Two of the 5 cats will open the cabinet doors, go into the cabinets, pull the doors shut and then sleep there in the dark. They are all goofy in one way or another and definitely have their own personalities! My daughter's cat, the skiddish one will dip her paws into drinking glasses, then lick the drink off her paws as she slurps really loudly. Heaven forbid you have a glass of water by your bed.

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
BonnieA
I don't need no stinkin tag

I used to have a cat who liked to go around the house walls/corners and eat cobwebs. I never had to clean them.
I have 3 indoor cats and they are just normally crazy.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Our cat does all those things as well! Sounds like normal, crazy cat behavior!

The fighting things is hilarious though. Our cat even makes these little growling sounds when fighting. Funny to watch him.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

And I thought I had the only cat that has to be in the bathroom with me. Mousetrap will claw at the door if it is closed and I am inside, to be let in. She sits in the tub and stares at me until I am finished. She plays with tin foil and paper rolled up into a ball. She loves the sounds.

The smaller cat, Sheba, is my hubby's baby. She will come and sit on the edge of my bed pillow and watch him like at hawk at night. She comes and goes on the bed (her bed actually, lol) all night and never bothers him, only me
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Like this?
Cats are insane. Really.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

My son says our cats are constant entertainment!

Cats are natural hunters and they will pursue and attack ANYTHING to fulfill that need. One of my cats will go after and attack an aluminum foil ball with everything he has for HOURS.

Two of my cats HAVE to be in the bathroom with us, the others not so much. One of my cats like to sit outside of the "human car wash" (my son's name for our stand up shower) and will LICK the water off of your shoulder from a ledge!

No, your cat is NORMAL. Try having 5 INDOOR ones... you want crazy? I'll show you CRAZY!!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

We have 3 cats and they are all crazy in their own way. The youngest darts for the bathroom whenever I walk past it and jumps on the counter. Then while I'm a captive audience he wants pets and wants the faucet turned on so he can drink from it. If I try to ignore him, he taps me with his paw on the shoulder or face if he can reach.

Our oldest has decided that DH's pillow is the best place to sleep, even if he's already using it. I got a picture of them one night with him sleeping and her wrapped around him using his head for her pillow.

They're just all weird.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: