Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
CJK
BL II -Purple Team
Member of the RP Bad Girls Club
Mesmerized by Clay!
That feeling of accomplishment becomes addictive

Port Orleans Riverside or Coronado Springs?

Hi all! We're thinking of spending 2-3 days in Disney this coming February. We'd be spending time at the resort and not spend much (if any) time in the parks this time. We went on a big trip this past August. We're trying to stay at different hotels on each visit. With the 25% discount code, we could stay at POR or CSR. I think Port Orleans French Quarter is more expensive (or not as much of a discount - can anyone confirm?). Any preferences? It's only 2 adults on this trip. We've visited both resorts before, but have never stayed. CBR has been our moderate hotel of choice, but I'd like to branch out. I'm leaning towards POR due to its proximity to Downtown Disney, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
CJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
jklmw
Mouseketeer

Cool

It is like I am writing this post. We are going in January for my 40th. I want so badly to stay at the Coronado, we stayed there one time before very short trip. I have read somewhere, this is the moderate, most like a deluxe. This time we are going WDW doesnt have availability at CSR. I will keep checking. We are booked for POR, not toally excited since we cant get a ROYAL roome
We stayed at POFQ and loved it. Would stay there again, but we wanted to try something new.
Never have stayed at CBR, I havent heard the best things. What do you think, should I switch to CBR OR stay at POR (DH, DS,7, DD,5 and my parents) we will spend a lot of time at resort
No matter what, I am just so excited and over the moon we are going! HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
polkadotminnie
I still like the idea of a glass slipper
I'd love a Mickey bar right now!
It would be great fun to grant pixie dust to an unsuspecting family

We have stayed at CSR twice and POR-AB section twice. CSR is my favorite so we are staying there again in February. It just has a more adult deluxe feel to it to me. I love the pool area. It is breathtaking at night walking around the lake.

Mods in order of my preference:

1. CSR-Awesome!
2. POFQ-Love the beinets
3. POR- I just personally don't like the Alligator Bayou theme and when all of us go there are 5 so we have to stay there. I have not stayed on the mansions side so I can't comment on it.

CBR-I have not stayed there.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
myjourney
DIS Veteran

No comparison for me POR. I also pay the extra for the riverview

Oct 2014 Fort Wilderness 14 nights
Oct 2013 Fort Wilderness 9 nights
May 2013 4 nights AKL, 5 nights at POR (love Yeeha Bob!)
May 2012 5 nights AKL, 3 nights BCV, and 4 nights SSR TH
March 2011 SSR and POR
October 2010 CSR
May 2010 Kidani Village and Saratoga Spring Resort
Oct 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs Resort
June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
myjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
elaw
DIS Veteran

They are completely different themes .... CSR is southwest/mexican themed and POR is the Southern US (Louisiana) ... it seems to me that people love the resorts that least remind them of home.
Examples: I'm from Southern California .... so the southwest theme of CSR doesn't appeal to me. Also, I dont care for the Poly either ... I've been to Hawaii a bunch of times so it's nothing special to me.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
let'sgo
DIS Veteran

POR is my favorite moderate followed by CSR. At POR we stayed in the mansion section and I loved the boat to DTD. The theming is beautiful here. If you like to go on walks you can take the path over to POFQ and get a meal there for a change of pace.

At CSR we stayed in the Casitas section. The theming in this area was also spectacular with the fountains and flowers. There is a very interesting pool there as well.

Either one, they are both very nice.
let'sgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

I've stayed at both and liked POR much better, it had the best Food Court, there are no conventions held at POR (so no business people in suits lining the hallway to the Food Courts like CS). Love that you can take a boat ride to DTD. Plus POR has very lush landscaping.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
They are completely different themes .... CSR is southwest/mexican themed and POR is the Southern US (Louisiana) ... it seems to me that people love the resorts that least remind them of home.
Examples: I'm from Southern California .... so the southwest theme of CSR doesn't appeal to me. Also, I dont care for the Poly either ... I've been to Hawaii a bunch of times so it's nothing special to me.
That is interesting to me. We are a family of five so we "have to" stay at POR, but I really want to stay at CBR. I LOVE the islands so I guess that is why!

Next trip to WDW
August 23, 2014-September 1, 2014 - POR!

Next cruise: August 30, 2015 RCCL Freedom of the Seas!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Polofan87
El Poopero Scoopero

Both resorts are really nice and have great advantages:
Pro's of Coronado
-Very Romantic-Beach view looking over the resort at night. Looks great after a long day running back and forth to the parks.
-Food court has many choices. From American food to southern American. You can never go wrong.
-The pools are all great.

Cons of Coronado
-Bus transportation only.
-I think they took out the speedboats. Even if you wanted to use the boats for riding the lake is too small to enjoy it.
-If you eat in the food court you have no choice but to be waited on. If you have limited funds it can hurt you since you do need to tip

Port Orleans Riverside Pro's
-Transportation to Downtown Disney via boat. Really nice if you want to check out Pleasure Island for a drink with your spouce. Beautiful view on the way to the town. Nice romantic atmosphere with just the sound of the boat and waves as you cruise in.
-Very good food court. Not as many choices as Coronado but great food nonetheless.
-Piano player at night at the bar. Can be quite fun and enjoyable.
- Several pools but in my opinion CSR has it up on POR.

Cons
- Very large resort. You also share transportation with POFQ which can be a bit more time consuming and seems to be more crowded on buses.
- Themeing isn't as romantic as CSR but stay by the water and it will be very enjoyable.

Either resort is a great decision. It's a matter of taste most of all. Do you enjoy a spanish themed resort or a southern mansion family environment?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Por!

POR is our fav moderate. Love the mansion section, either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace. The theming & landscapping is fantastic. It's beautiful to walk around. Great food court. Evening entertainment in the lounge, boat to DTD, a marina, and Horse & Carriage rides!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
CJK
BL II -Purple Team
Member of the RP Bad Girls Club
Mesmerized by Clay!
That feeling of accomplishment becomes addictive

Thanks everyone! Decisions, decisions!
CJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
MASKED MANIAC
Mouseketeer

Coronado...Best Pool....
MASKED MANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
cmurray234
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both, and I liked both...but for an adults-only trip? There is simply no contest. It's got to be CSR.

1. You can get a king-sized room and the other rooms have queen beds instead of doubles.

2. The amenities are MUCH more like a deluxe resort. Shampoo/lotion etc... is the higher quality, there is a health club and spa/salon.

3. The pool is one of the best on property.

4. This resort has the best bus transportation I've ever used at WDW...and I've been to many resorts. It doesn't share bus service, it's centrally located, so bus rides are usually about 10 or 15 minutes.
cmurray234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
jklmw
Mouseketeer

We ended up staying at POR, and I think I will avoid staying there again!!! Room was in section 15 and they called our room a preferred room, not sure why. Maybe b/c we were on the 1st floor, facing parking lot?? Did not like resort at all. Rooms seemed really dingy.
We have stayed at POFQ, and that resort was much better!!!
No matter what, I still love staying in a Disney Resort. We go in March for 2 days and we are staying at CSR, We stayed there a couple of years ago, and I remember it being really nice!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklmw View Post
We ended up staying at POR, and I think I will avoid staying there again!!! Room was in section 15 and they called our room a preferred room, not sure why. Maybe b/c we were on the 1st floor, facing parking lot?? Did not like resort at all. Rooms seemed really dingy.
We have stayed at POFQ, and that resort was much better!!!
No matter what, I still love staying in a Disney Resort. We go in March for 2 days and we are staying at CSR, We stayed there a couple of years ago, and I remember it being really nice!
Bummer!!! Sounds like you didn't get a renovated room. I've seen pics of the new alligator bayou rooms and they are adorable!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: