Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
MercerMom
Mouseketeer

Wilderness Lodge Resort Room? Which View?

Should I be worried about the WL woods view room? Would it not be better that a standard view room, since it costs more? Read several people say many are not much better views that standards.

DH(36), Me(35), DD(9), DS(5)

MercerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I wasn't impressed with the WL woods view, but to each their own. It's definitely not worth extra money (to me) but we had stayed in AK:KV the year before and the savannah view was still fresh in my mind and it is worth the money for us.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
cwt580
DIS Veteran

std view can be parking lot,trash dumpsters,loading area,view of roof.......id want something relaxing for my eve/am balcony sit-time...

we got a woods view and were able to see the firworks from MK......

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I like the woods view on the north side, with the little pond. Many times we've seen otters playing in the pond. I prefer the woods view to the courtyard view because it can get noisy around the pool at times.

It's totally worth it to me to not have a standard view at WL - especially the dreaded roof view. I can take just about anything but dumpsters and roofs on a 10 day trip.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

I can only speak for myself, but having woods view placed us closer to the center of the lodge. When we had standard view, we had to walk a very long time to get to the lobby. I actually prefer woods view. I like to look at the wooded views and at the VWL back yard, so to speak.
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
Carrie772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
exit30
Mouseketeer

We've stayed both courtyard and woods view and loved both equally but for different reasons. We've never stayed standard view so I can't give you an opinion. Woods view was very quiet and relaxing, in fact we are booked for woods view again in April.
exit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
thumpersfriend
DIS Veteran

Funny you asked that. My daughter and I just returned a few days ago. I upgraded to woods view and wished I hadn't spent the extra on it. Just a few trees, right across from the villa and underneath was the kids club and the bus area where the metal roofs were almost the whole view. Sorry, but I was really disappointed.
thumpersfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Karabee
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a Courtyard View and I wouldn't spend the extra money again. You're usually so rarely in the room that I don't see the big deal about the view. Even when we sit on the balcony and have a glass of wine, we're looking out and not below (if there is a dumpster there). Personally, I think the money can be spent in other parts of Disney - have fun!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Belle83
DIS Veteran

We are only picking a woods view room because it's the cheapest room category with the option of a king bed. We wouldn't spend the money for just a slightly better view.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
You're usually so rarely in the room that I don't see the big deal about the view. Even when we sit on the balcony and have a glass of wine, we're looking out and not below (if there is a dumpster there).
I think the amount of time in the room can vary quite a bit, depending on the family. Personally, I spend about 50% of my time at the resort relaxing and about 50% in the parks - so having a decent balcony is an important feature for me - especially on the longer trips.

It's not so much the look of the dumpster, but the smells that can really put a damper on using the balcony - especially in the summer when it's hot. I would rather not have to deal with that on vacation. Maybe my nose is just more sensitive to odor than most - but it's just very unpleasant to me.

But for people who are in the parks from open to close, I can understand why a room category or view might not be so important.

I have a woods view room booked for 10 days in May, so I'm hoping for the otter pond view.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Personally, after over 15 stays at the Lodge.......

there are only 2 views for us...one is courtyard, main pool which cost the most and anthing in the north wing away from the service area......we usually don't have a specific choice noted...if we want courtyard, we book that...any other time it's woods view but in the north wing....we like being close to the food court and pool plus the boat dock....really not bad anywhere, except over the service dock....like I said, we don't book with alot of requirements but when we check in, if the room location isn't up to what we want, we ask for something else....but most of our stays have been perfect.....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
stephgles
DIS Veteran

We love our otter pond woods view. If you are lucky enough you would have an obstructed view of the castle plus be able to watch the fireworks from your balacony.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: