Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
Banzai
Is now single and available!
Card Carrying Member of the TF Duct Tape Patrol
Uhh...sorry mom!

What happend to the Atlantis monorails? When did it that Idea die?
Disneyland Hotel - 2006
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
HBK
registered

It appears this idea died....aparently with every other advertising for the movie.

Christ.....I don't know how good a movie Shrek is, but at least I know about it. If I didn't read these boards, I wouldn't have a clue about Atlantis....

Screwy Mouse.

Last edited by HBK; 05-07-2001 at 02:31 PM.
HBK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2001, 09:01 PM   #3
All Aboard
Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas

HBK, not sure I understand your response. I have seen quite a few TV spots for Atlantis and not yet any form of promo for Shrek. In fact, I would have no idea Shrek existed if it weren't for these boards. Or is that what you were saying, about Shrek that is.
All Aboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 02:00 AM   #4
Snow_White
WDW Bride...and now WDW Mom

Atlantis / Shrek

I agree with HBK...I've seen at least five times more commercials for Shrek than for Atlantis. Plus, I've seen people on multiple talk shows promoting Shrek (Mike Myers for one)...but I haven't seen a single sole promoting Atlantis.
Snow_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 02:05 AM   #5
ErikdaRed
DIS Veteran

Shrek is coming out in 2 weeks, Atlantis in 5. When it gets closer you see ads for it.
ErikdaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 08:28 AM   #6
HBK
registered

Quote:
HBK, not sure I understand your response. I have seen quite a few TV spots for Atlantis and not yet any form of promo for Shrek. In fact, I would have no idea Shrek existed if it weren't for these boards. Or is that what you were saying, about Shrek that is
It seems like we can never agree. In the programming I watch, I have NEVER seen ANY mention (nevermind an ad) for Atlantis. I haven't seen any type of writeup about Atlantis.

Shrek on the other hand is getting MASSIVE attention. From news articles on ABCNEWS.COM (Isn't that a tad ironic?) to the main stars promoting the film.

Ok I guess we're at an impass on this....

We'll see how both movies do.
HBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 10:38 AM   #7
All Aboard
Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas

It's not a disagreement, just what we have both observed. Honestly, I have still not seen any promo for Shrek. Not print, not TV, nothing. I have no idea what it is about, absolutely none. Wouldn't even know that it existed if for not reading on these boards that someone thought it was much better than Atlantis.

Mind you, I haven't seen much on Atlantis either, but have seen some. Enough to have a general feel for the story and whether it would be something my family would enjoy.

Now, as to why I have seen nothing on Shrek (am I spelling that right?) your guess is as good as mine.
All Aboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 11:51 AM   #8
Another Voice
Charter Member of The Element

The number of ads for a given movie varies from market to market. Studios generally decide were they think a film will be a hit and target the marketing there. Very few movies get the same coverage across the country - you won't see a lot of ads for 'The Golden Bowl' in Billings, but you will in New York and LA.

In Southern California, 'Shrek' is being promoted everywhere from television to 'Burger King' to the biggest grocery store change. Why Miami isn't getting a similar push (it's a large market), I have no idea. Some suit at Dreamworks must have decided that the movie just won't appeal to people in South Florida.

As for the 'Atlantis' monorails - marketing cutbacks. There will still be a fairly hefty campaign for the movie but the 'low-impact' ties have been cut. Besides, Disney is spending $5 million on just one party in Hawaii to promote 'Pearl Harbor'. And that amount of poi has just got to come from somewhere.
Another Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 12:23 PM   #9
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Look DIsney's throwing there money down the Poilet

Sorry, Sorry, old Billy Crystal Joke, please ignore.

Personally, I'm just starting to see shrek TV ads here, although they've had billboards up for about 3 weeks.
Conversly I've seen a lot of print ads for atlantis and I've seen the movie trailer in every movie I've gone to in the past 6 Months.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:11 PM   #10
larworth
DIS Veteran

I've seen only one TV ad for Atlantis and none for Shrek.
However, there have been Shrek posters on many of the city bus stops for a number of weeks. None for Atlantis.

This weekend there was some reference to Shrek in a travel agency ad in the Sunday paper. Some type of travel package tie-in (sorry, didn't read).

I would say none of these add up to much of a concerted push here for either yet.

Did see a fairly intense Pearl Harbor TV ad yesterday. Quick monatage of different fighting scenes. My wife's comment was it sure makes it look like a "guy" movie. The early trailers I saw gave equal time to the romance play. Wonder it they have changed their target audience?
larworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 03:13 PM   #11
SPAGo 98
Do not ingest.

As was stated by ErikdaRed, Atlantis is over a month away, Shrek is coming out in 2 weeks. Personally, all the ads I see for Shrek make me wanna vomit. It's so gross. Plus it's a ripoff of my last name (very similar) so Im telling everyone I know not to see it.

haha. Oh, and about the different ads or Pearl Harbor (which is getting massive advertisment), different ads are designed for different ppl. During a car race, they would show the more macho one, but on Lifetime, you're more liekly to see the one stressing the romance.

Ugh. Baskin Robbins is selling the most disgusting looking ice cream related to Shrek. YECH.

spags.
SPAGo 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 05:43 PM   #12
Dom13
Pin Pics Graphics Dept.

I agree with the 2 week/5 week thing. I have seen TV ads for both, I'd say 2-1 shrek. I've seen the trailer for both at the few movies I've been to the last couple of months. The other day I saw lots of print Items for Atlantis, story books, coloring books and sticker books. At Toys are us I saw some action figures. I got an ad in the Mail for a NY exclusive engaement, and Disney Auctions has been pushing the movie.

I think that as the time gets closer you will see more and more ads etc. June 15th is over a month away. I think it would be a better use of the advertising budget to use it in June rather than now.

Time will tell which one will do better but I think Shrek will appeal to those that like the "Airplane" and "Police Academy" style of humor.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:43 PM   #13
jcdisneyfan
Mouseketeer

DH and I went to the movie on Saturday and saw a preview for Atlantis. Dh also says that the last two movies he has been to with the kids showed a preview for Atlantis.

BTW, what the heck is Shrek? Never heard of it!
2001 VWL Nov No Kids
2002 AKL Easter Weekend Quick Trip
2002 OKW Jun Kids
2002 OKW Dec with Neighbors
2003 BCV June Kids
2003 AKL OCT No Kids
2003 OKW Dec Neighbors and Kids
2004 OKW June Sister Niece and Nephew and Kid
2004 AKL Concierge OCT Just Us
2005 OKW June Kids and Neighbors
2005 OKW Dec Kids
2006 Yacht Club and Old Key West One Kid
2007 Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas 10 of us
jcdisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 10:10 PM   #14
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Just saw an Atlantis billboard where a Shrek one used to be, Infer what you will

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 09:51 AM   #15
CapHook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by HBK

It seems like we can never agree. In the programming I watch, I have NEVER seen ANY mention (nevermind an ad) for Atlantis. I haven't seen any type of writeup about Atlantis.

Here is a depressing write up of Atlantis. http://www.orlandoweekly.com/news/eyedrive/:(

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: