Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #376
valee
Mouseketeer

Can anyone pass on thier plans on how they're getting from LAX to DL and then to the port? We're arriving Saturday at LAX, and would like to rent a car to go to the El Capitan that afternoon. We're planning on going to DCA on Sunday, and then will need to get to the port Monday morning.
Thanks - I know there are lots of options - just wondering how others have done this before - quickly, inexpensively, and safely.
We've just booked recentlyh, so are scrambling to work out the details.
valee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #377
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

When we have done this before, we took Supershuttle from LAX to Disneyland and then DCL transfers to the port.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #378
valee
Mouseketeer

We will probably be trying to rent a car from the airport for one day, and would really like to find out if there's a rental company that would let me return it either at DL or, optimally, close to the port.
One option is to shuttle from the airport to DL, pick up and return a one day rental there, and then take another shuttle to the port.
Another is to do a one way car rental, but so far I haven't been able to find any that are reasonable.

Sorry - I should introduce myself. I'm a mature woman from the DC area who will be taking my second DCL cruise, traveling with my BFF.

Last edited by valee; 01-27-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #379
TLPL
DIS Veteran

I remember one way car rental is super expensive in LA, unlike in Orlando.

-February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian
-August: Vero Beach

-Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #380
valee
Mouseketeer

I may have to absorb the cost, though, since without a car I couldn't get chicken and waffles at Roscoe's before we leave LA. I see they've got a location in Long Beach - breakfast there on Monday would certainly see me through boarding!

I just checked their website - there is a Roscoe's coming to Anaheim! That will make things easier for the next trip.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #381
dolphingirl47

I know there is an Alamo office at Downtown Disney. We have done a one day car rental from there before. The only car rental company that operates out of Port of Los Angeles is Enterprise.

Corinna
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #382
badell
Tink Wannabe

We're Booked!

Hi! I'm Beth. My DH, Bill, and I will be on the cruise with you.

Signed up today for the FEs. Any plans for door magnets?

Looking forward to meeting everyone and having a blast!
07/15/12 - 07/20/12 5-Night Canada/New England Coast Cruise on Disney Magic & 07/20/12 - 07/22/12 3-Night at WDW Yacht Club
12/12/09 - 12/19/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida on Disney Magic
10/27/07 - 11/03/07 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida on Disney Magic
01/06/01 - 01/13/01 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic
01/08/99 - 01/11/99 7-Night Vacation Pkg: 4-Night Resort and 3-Night Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic
badell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #383
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by badell View Post
Hi! I'm Beth. My DH, Bill, and I will be on the cruise with you.

Signed up today for the FEs. Any plans for door magnets?

Looking forward to meeting everyone and having a blast!
Welcome on board. I have seen your details on my Fish Extender spreadsheet. Thanks for this. I will definitely have door magnets, but I am struggling a bit with this part of the cruise. I definitely have more for the Alaska cruise.

Corinna
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #384
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Hi! I thought that you would like to know the theme nights of our cruise. Monday is casual, Tuesday is formal, Wednesday and Thursday are casual, Friday is Pirate night, Saturday is semi-formal and Sunday is casual. Feels like it is getting closer... Aloha, Karen and Ron
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #385
valee
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. We've only done a 3 day, when the only theme night was Pirate night. It seems logical that they'd make our two San Francisco days be casual - I wouldn't be interested in getting gussied up after climbing hills.

Does anyone have an idea what the entertainment schedule might be? I assume that they won't have one of the major shows on Wednesday night, when we're in overnighting in port, but would appreciate info from any previous cruisers.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #386
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by COASTIEandMATE View Post
Hi! I thought that you would like to know the theme nights of our cruise. Monday is casual, Tuesday is formal, Wednesday and Thursday are casual, Friday is Pirate night, Saturday is semi-formal and Sunday is casual. Feels like it is getting closer... Aloha, Karen and Ron
Thanks for sharing.

Corinna
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #387
Brixton
Missing Maine, Substituting Mickey

Wow...I have not been on this thread since the 1st...

We'll be coming into San Pedro on the WBPC, dropping Dh off at the port, clearing customs and reboarding with all of you to Vancouver! My daughters, 8 & 9, are thrilled to meet new friends!

We are interested in FE and other DIS events; we look forward to meeting all of you in May

These may be answered somewhere, I am not a board/forum genius but...is anyone linking dining for this cruise? And, is there a schedule of DIS activities posted on the thread? Thanks for your help

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #388
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post
Wow...I have not been on this thread since the 1st...

We'll be coming into San Pedro on the WBPC, dropping Dh off at the port, clearing customs and reboarding with all of you to Vancouver! My daughters, 8 & 9, are thrilled to meet new friends!

We are interested in FE and other DIS events; we look forward to meeting all of you in May

These may be answered somewhere, I am not a board/forum genius but...is anyone linking dining for this cruise? And, is there a schedule of DIS activities posted on the thread? Thanks for your help
I am in charge of the Fish Extender Exchange for this cruise and you can sign up through this form:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...dWJzQ0JZdlE6MQ

So far we have 10 familes signed up for this.

As far as I am aware there are no DIS activities planned apart from the Fish Extender Exchange. I have also not heard anything about linked dining.

Corinna
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #389
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valee View Post
Can anyone pass on thier plans on how they're getting from LAX to DL and then to the port? We're arriving Saturday at LAX, and would like to rent a car to go to the El Capitan that afternoon. We're planning on going to DCA on Sunday, and then will need to get to the port Monday morning.
Thanks - I know there are lots of options - just wondering how others have done this before - quickly, inexpensively, and safely.
We've just booked recentlyh, so are scrambling to work out the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
When we have done this before, we took Supershuttle from LAX to Disneyland and then DCL transfers to the port.

Corinna
Thanks for asking this valee. We have a similar plan (arriving in LA on Saturday to get a glimpse of DL!) and have been looking at all the options.

How hard is it to transfer luggage via Supershuttle? I'm afraid Magical Express has us spoiled and are a little worried about getting our luggage to the shuttle. And we are staying at the Fairfield Inn at DL. Does this cause a problem? (I've NEVER been to LA)

I was looking at a towncar. It was showing @$90 for the one way trip. If that is for both wife and I doesn't sound too bad. But are there hidden cost? Im sure a taxi would be $$$$$$$$.........

Any more info would be greatly appreciated for this rookie taking a giant first cruise step on a B2B!

MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #390
valee
Mouseketeer

We've decided to go with renting a car from Enterprise when we arrive Saturday at LAX and dropping it off at their office at the port on Monday morning. It may cost a bit more than taking shuttles, but I'll be more comfortable having more control over when I leave.

Having a car will let us do some sightseeing and shopping on Saturday. Our possible sightseeing spots for Saturday are the Getty museum (ah- the views!), Venice Beach (to be reminded just how old and unhip I am), Hollywood/the El Capitan for a movie and a quick stroll along the Walk of Fame.

I'm planning on stopping at Costco after flying in, and will look for something from CostcoWineBlog to take on board.

We're staying at the Anabella, which last week offered a special with free parking. We haven't stayed there before, but it's got pretty good reviews, and the Howard Johnson has priced itself out of consideration.

We'll be heading to DCA on Sunday - CarsLand was still under construction during our last visit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: