Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

So....... What's the Trick?

Hi I am a veteran on the DIS, but VERY new to the cruise side of things! I was watching You Tube videos showing tours of different suites on the ships and I came across this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOTzlBWFd8

In it, the narrator starts out by saying he stayed in the Roy O. Disney Suite for a big discount by using a tip he learned on the Disboards! Shout out!! Holla! He mentioned booking a category 4 room and then upgrading to a category 1 for $1500. How do you do this? Do you just book a category 4 and then, when you check in, ask if category 1 is available and if you can upgrade?

Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is one of those annoying questions that gets asked a lot
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
disneystick
DIS Veteran

Yes but it is not guarantee that it will be available on your sailing along with the price. Disney prices is based on supply and demand as we all know and fuller the ship, less chances for upgrades and more costly the upgrades can be.

When we went there was a sign up at the checkin at the terminal...no upgrades available. Ship full. So it would be wise to book the room you want and if you can get a upgrade, that is a extra special bonus.

Good Luck and have fun on your cruise.
disneystick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Hi I am a veteran on the DIS, but VERY new to the cruise side of things! I was watching You Tube videos showing tours of different suites on the ships and I came across this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOTzlBWFd8

In it, the narrator starts out by saying he stayed in the Roy O. Disney Suite for a big discount by using a tip he learned on the Disboards! Shout out!! Holla! He mentioned booking a category 4 room and then upgrading to a category 1 for $1500. How do you do this? Do you just book a category 4 and then, when you check in, ask if category 1 is available and if you can upgrade?

Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is one of those annoying questions that gets asked a lot
After you check in for your cruise at the DCL terminal you can go to the supervisor's desk and see if any upgrades area available for purchase. if there are upgrades available they will tell what is available and and how much it will cost to upgrade to that cabin. The CM has a chart that lists what the upgrade costs are.

Upgrading at the port is significantly less expensive than upgrading ahead of time.

But, upgrades are not always available (especially the suites) so best advice is to book a cabin you will be happy with for the cruise. Once at the port you can ask about upgrades (after you check in). Don't book a cabin you know you won't like in the hopes of upgrading at the port as you will be very disappointed if the upgrade does not happen.

It is a set price from the category you booked to the category you are upgrading to and the upgrade price is per cabin, not per person so can be a very good deal.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much to you both! I assumed it would be based on availability, but what an amazing blessing if it is Thanks for the tip!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: