Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #166
GW45
Mouseketeer

You don't need a shirt and tie normally- just best to have shirts with collars- My dh wears a lot of light chinos and short sleeved shirts or Polo shirts. Having said that lots of people come to the MDR in shorts/tshirts/jeans/flip flops and nothing is ever said to them but I like to stick to cruise casual- casual but smart. You do need a shirt and tie for Palo or maybe its just a shirt and jacket (check that!).

You can be as formal as you like on Formal night or just dressed a bit fancier than other nights. That's when my dh wears a shirt and tie and blazer
(wears the same thing for Palo so he gets two nights out of that outfit)and I wear a dress/cocktail dress but some families go all out and wear evening dresses and men in tuxedos (little boys look adorable in their suits but I know my ds would have been battling with me on that one- he has always just worn a smart shirt and pants)....so whatever you're comfortable in is the answer.

I always feel that nothing special really happens on Formal Night and other than if you want to get formal photographs taken ....we get dressed up and then...what now? I know every night is special on DCL but after dinner on Formal night we always get changed again for the show and feel more comfortable in the theatre that way than in formal clothes (and heels I can't walk far in!). I do like getting dressed up for Palo though and feel I'm 'going out' on the cruise but that's just me.

Can't think of anything you really need to book for a 12 year old on board. My
ds was just turning 12 last year and he just hung out at the Edge-we hardly saw him he loved it there so much.
GW45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #167
Magic 2013
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the input.

I'm glad no tux! I'll bring a shirt, tie, and jacket. I typically wear polo's most of the time so I think I'm set.

I'm sure my DD will spend a lot of time at the club. She's been looking forward to it.

Has anyone done the wine package? We are considering it.
Magic 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #168
GreenAcres
I'm not from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.

We've done the Premium wine package every time. I have always felt it was worth the price. If you take the time to do a little wine menu research online before you go, you can see which selections are the best "deal". We enjoy reds mostly and always have the Fairy Tale cuvée at least once per cruise.

The servers are happy to store any leftovers for you and have also helped us apply a discount to a wine we wanted to try that wasn't one of the Premium wine choices (in place of that night's bottle).
Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #169
Magic 2013
Earning My Ears

Thank, I have been toying around with the Idea of the wine package.

I have also been thinking about trying to get a bottle of local wine in each port to enjoy once back on the ship as we reflect on the adventures of the day Do you know if the allow you to bring wine back from the ports?

The only problem I see with bring it back is we would have to enjoy it on our veranda perhaps with room service cheese and fruit platters and not have it with dinner as I don't want to incur corkage fees every port day.

I'll pack a corkscrew just in case...

Has anyone done this?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #170
GreenAcres
I'm not from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic 2013 View Post
Thank, I have been toying around with the Idea of the wine package.

I have also been thinking about trying to get a bottle of local wine in each port to enjoy once back on the ship as we reflect on the adventures of the day Do you know if the allow you to bring wine back from the ports?

The only problem I see with bring it back is we would have to enjoy it on our veranda perhaps with room service cheese and fruit platters and not have it with dinner as I don't want to incur corkage fees every port day.

I'll pack a corkscrew just in case...

Has anyone done this?
Yes! Your stateroom host will provide a corkscrew and glasses for you.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #171
Magic 2013
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Now we have to think about which way to go.

I finished online check-in this morning and am really getting excited...
Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #172
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB View Post
Sure! Join the fun Here's the list:
CBEB
SR 7524
2 adults
DD16

texasgirl29
SR6618
2 adults - Paul and JoAnn
DD16 - Stephanie
DD13 - Rachel

1travelgirl
SR 6612
2 Adults

GW45
SR 2112
2Adults
DS 13
DD 8 1/2

SR: 2120
2 Adults

SR: 2122
1 Adult
DD 16
DD 13

SR: 2124
1 Adult
DS 9
I was working on a spreadsheet so I could figure out who gets what and it dawned on me that if it just says "adult" I don't know if it's male or female. I also wanted to go ahead and put names with my family -- if anyone else wants to do the same, it would be nice to start getting a little familiar.

My girls are off to Camp Grandma and Grandpa and I'm trying to finish up FE's while they are gone. I need to get organized because I need to get some additional supplies.

JoAnn
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #173
sajilunni
Mouseketeer

Countdown is ON!

Checking back in and saw that there's lots of new information. For anyone who doesn't want to go back through the whole thread, some information I found valuable was that the Sistine Chapel will be closed the day that we will be visiting there. And someone helpfully posted the movies that will be showing onboard:
Tangled
Chimpanzee
Avengers
Brave in 2D and 3D
Oz
Monsters University
Finding Nemo 3D
Frankenweenie
Wreck It Ralph
Lincoln
Iron Man 3
The Lone Ranger

And I found Personal Navigators from a June sailing if anyone would like a general idea of what to expect: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...une-8-14-2013/

Now I thought from the original information I received that we would be spending 11 hours in Naples, but I thought I read something about that day being shortened to 5 hours because it's an Italian holiday? Has anyone else heard anything about that? We were planning on DIYing Naples, by taking a train to Herculaneum and then the 4x4 up Vesuvius (Busvia Del Vesuvio is 20 euro per person). The same trip booked through Disney would have cost exponentially more.

We're booked a table for two at Palo at 8:30PM on Sunday, August 11. I've pre-registered my son (almost 13), and daughters (10 and 7) for the Youth Activities (I'm hoping that means the same thing as Edge and Oceaneer Lab). I bought these lanyard fans: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and walking/water shoes for the kids. I booked private tours for all the destinations except Naples, and I'm planning on confirming them next week. Is there anything I'm forgetting??

Speaking of private tours, it seems that most of the European companies want cash in Euros. I wish they would accept credit cards or Paypal because I'm not used to carrying that kind of cash around. Do you think it's better to try to convert dollars into Euros before leaving the US, or once we land there (or onboard)?

Does anyone know which day of the week the formal night will be? And I know that "cruise casual" means no shorts to dinner, but does that apply to children as well?

DVC: SSR/OKW

(me and DH-41)
(DS12) (DD10) (DD7)
sajilunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #174
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

We have a tour booked through Can't Be Missed Tours for the Naples port -- if our time is shortened to five hours that would be a problem. Can that be confirmed?

We have per paid online for Sagrada Familia and two tours with CBM which I like because we don't have to carry so much cash and it helps with that vacation hangover!

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #175
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
I was working on a spreadsheet so I could figure out who gets what and it dawned on me that if it just says "adult" I don't know if it's male or female. I also wanted to go ahead and put names with my family -- if anyone else wants to do the same, it would be nice to start getting a little familiar.

My girls are off to Camp Grandma and Grandpa and I'm trying to finish up FE's while they are gone. I need to get organized because I need to get some additional supplies.

JoAnn
Great idea!
CBEB
SR 7524
2 adults - Charlie and Liz
DD16 - Lizzie

texasgirl29
SR6618
DD16 - Stephanie
DD13 - Rachel

1travelgirl
SR 6612
2 Adults

GW45
SR 2112
2Adults
DS 13
DD 8 1/2

2 Adults

1 Adult
DD 16
DD 13

1 Adult
DS 9

This waiting is driving me crazy!!!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #176
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajilunni View Post
Does anyone know which day of the week the formal night will be? And I know that "cruise casual" means no shorts to dinner, but does that apply to children as well?
I think Sunday night is formal night
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #177
kel585
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="CBEB;49047133"]

Great idea!
CBEB
SR 7524
2 adults - Charlie and Liz
DD16 - Lizzie

texasgirl29
SR6618
DD16 - Stephanie
DD13 - Rachel

1travelgirl
SR 6612
2 Adults

GW45
SR 2112
2Adults
DS 13
DD 8 1/2

kel585
2 Adults Deirdre & Kelly-Marie

1 Adult Grace
DD 16 Dara
DD 13 Finn

1 Adult David
DS 9 Rían

We're getting very close!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #178
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajilunni View Post

Now I thought from the original information I received that we would be spending 11 hours in Naples, but I thought I read something about that day being shortened to 5 hours because it's an Italian holiday? Has anyone else heard anything about that? ?
I checked the published itinerary this morning and it still says 7:30 to 5:30.

JoAnn

Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #179
1travelgirl
Earning My Ears

SR 6612

2 adults- Candice & Jay
1travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #180
sajilunni
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
I checked the published itinerary this morning and it still says 7:30 to 5:30.

JoAnn
Oops, I think I misread a previous post: "With the 15th being a major public holiday in Italy, the traffic will be horrible apparently which is why we have slightly limited time in each place.

We'll only be off the ship from 8am-1pm, so back onboard for quiet lunch while everyone else is still seeing the sights. ".

I now realize they were just talking about their own tour hours and not the ships. So glad we'll have enough time to do our DIY tour there!

DVC: SSR/OKW

(me and DH-41)
(DS12) (DD10) (DD7)
sajilunni is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: