Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #1441
Amy Fran
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
One step closer to all of us getting on the ship in Barcelona. The Magic just left Galveston for the transatlantic crossing! My inlaws and sister-in-law and her kids are on the transatlantic cruise now. They just texted me saying they are just now under way leaving the Galveston port....

So exciting! 56 days until we all board in Barcelona!!
Has anyone here done a transatlantic cruise before? I'm trying to convince my husband that's the itinerary we should book for next year and he has 2 concerns I need support dissipating

1) He said he's concerned about so many sea days getting boring. I have no idea what he means! BUT was thinking maybe Disney plans additional/new onboard activities for long days at sea?

2) He's concerned about how much motion we'd encounter on wide open seas. I throw up on every cruise we take because we inevitably go through a storm that creates 14' swells so I, too, would like to know how calm the TA waters typically are.

And if no one else has prior experience yet, I'll just have to wait till your inlaws debark, LovestoRun! I'd love to hear any insights & experiences they share with you!
Amy Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #1442
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Fran View Post
Has anyone here done a transatlantic cruise before? I'm trying to convince my husband that's the itinerary we should book for next year and he has 2 concerns I need support dissipating

1) He said he's concerned about so many sea days getting boring. I have no idea what he means! BUT was thinking maybe Disney plans additional/new onboard activities for long days at sea?

2) He's concerned about how much motion we'd encounter on wide open seas. I throw up on every cruise we take because we inevitably go through a storm that creates 14' swells so I, too, would like to know how calm the TA waters typically are.

And if no one else has prior experience yet, I'll just have to wait till your inlaws debark, LovestoRun! I'd love to hear any insights & experiences they share with you!
I did a DCL WB TransAtlantic in 2007 and LOVED it . . . if you love the ship at days at sea, this is the cruise for you. They plan all kinds of special activities and shows for the big stretch of sea days in a row, I can't imagine anyone getting bored. My oldest daughter was 15 at the time, and she often says that was her favorite cruise because of all that time on the ship.

I'm not bothered by motion on the ship, but I certainly don't remember anything special about the roughness at sea. The Med cruise I went on that same year had a day or two of excessive movement as I recall! I think you can get it at any point based on the weather, but not particularly because of crossing the Atlantic.

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #1443
mom3bellasorella
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post

Hi Tricia, I added all the names in except your DH. Didn't know his!
Whoops! It's Keith! Thanks!
mom3bellasorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #1444
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Thought it might be interesting to hear everyone's final plans as we're starting to get close. Anyone planning something special while in France for Bastille Day? I wish we'd stick around in the harbor for the fireworks, but that seems unlikely. We're doing a private tour starting with the flower market in Nice followed by Eze and Monte Carlo. We'll take our 5 mo old with us here. Always a fun challenge, but private guides make it a bit easier.

Destination D WDW CR/BWI Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1445
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
Thought it might be interesting to hear everyone's final plans as we're starting to get close. Anyone planning something special while in France for Bastille Day? I wish we'd stick around in the harbor for the fireworks, but that seems unlikely. We're doing a private tour starting with the flower market in Nice followed by Eze and Monte Carlo. We'll take our 5 mo old with us here. Always a fun challenge, but private guides make it a bit easier.
We're going to take the train to Nice and explore - I understand that at some point there will be a Bastille Day parade along the Promenade des Anglais. Then we will take the train back and wander Villefranche a bit - we did a similar day with Monte Carlo and Villefranche back in 2007 and it was a nice mix without too much rushing. I too wish the ship would stay in the harbor for the big fireworks celebration!

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1446
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Secret Mickey exchange

Hello everyone, I have just finished sending everyone that signed up for the SM exchange private messages with their name draw. If you have have signed up and don't see the message from me for some reason please let me know.

Sorry I am late getting this organized, took a little longer to get it all confirmed than I thought.

Eileen
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #1447
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Fran View Post

This is my inlaws 2nd TA cruise. They did the Westbound summer before last, I think. They LOVED the Transatlantic Cruise! But, they also love sea days! I think there is just as much offered on all the sea days on the TA cruise as there would be on any other sea day on a Caribbean cruise, or any other Disney cruise. I can't imagine getting bored!! But, that is me.... I love sea days, too. It would be my dream to do a Transatlantic cruise, but as long as they are only offering them in May and September, it's not possible for us because our kids are in school then...

As for rough seas... there is no way to say it'll be calm or rough. I do know when my inlaws did the TA cruise from east to west (in September) 2 years ago, they said it was calm the whole way (ie, no big swells, or major rocking motion). My MIL doesn't like rough waters, so she was nervous about the TA crossing, but came back saying it was awesome, and the weather was perfect, and no rough water (other than the just normal swells at sea, but nothing huge that would make you feel significant rocking motion).

BUT, you just never know.... so I would say if you are going to do a TA crossing (or any cruise with sea days), just have the expectation that you will get rough seas off and on. Even with blue skies, it can be rough... on our Panama Canal cruise Jan 2011, it got pretty rough on the Pacific side, but it was still blue skies outside... but they had to close the pools finally because it was so rough...

I will let you know how this TA cruise was for my inlaws once I hear from them after they get back. They are staying in Europe for 2 weeks after, so I won't be talking with them much until the end of June (just before we leave!).
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #1448
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Hello everyone, I have just finished sending everyone that signed up for the SM exchange private messages with their name draw. If you have have signed up and don't see the message from me for some reason please let me know.

Sorry I am late getting this organized, took a little longer to get it all confirmed than I thought.

Eileen
Eileen,

Thanks so much for confirming everything. I can't remember if the specifics were already posted somewhere else or not, so I apologize if this has already been stated, but can you explain how the SM works? I've only done it on one other cruise before. On that one, our limit was about $25-30 which could be done in several smaller gifts or 1-2 larger ones, which we would leave at the person's stateroom mysteriously throughout the cruise. Then towards the end of the cruise, there was a pre-arranged Secret Mickey Meet in one of the lounges, where we all "revealed" who our SM was and gave a final gift in person. Is this how it works for this cruise or do we have different rules? Just want to make sure I understand!

Also for the FE and the SM, are you going to post copies of an updated room list at your door, or deliver them to us on the cruise, so we know if anyone changed rooms or GTY was assigned last minute? I wasnt sure how to go about delivering to those still GTY if they dont get an assignment before I leave on 7/10.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #1449
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Eileen,

Thanks so much for confirming everything. I can't remember if the specifics were already posted somewhere else or not, so I apologize if this has already been stated, but can you explain how the SM works? I've only done it on one other cruise before. On that one, our limit was about $25-30 which could be done in several smaller gifts or 1-2 larger ones, which we would leave at the person's stateroom mysteriously throughout the cruise. Then towards the end of the cruise, there was a pre-arranged Secret Mickey Meet in one of the lounges, where we all "revealed" who our SM was and gave a final gift in person. Is this how it works for this cruise or do we have different rules? Just want to make sure I understand!

Also for the FE and the SM, are you going to post copies of an updated room list at your door, or deliver them to us on the cruise, so we know if anyone changed rooms or GTY was assigned last minute? I wasnt sure how to go about delivering to those still GTY if they dont get an assignment before I leave on 7/10.

Yes, you are correct on the rules for the SM. Just as you stated. I have not organized yet when the meet for the final reveal will be, but will start thinking about it and post info soon.

We do have a few GTY rooms for the FE, so hoping that they get updates soon. I will bring copies of the FE delivery cheat sheet to our meet and greet the first day and also have copies available in an envelope in our Fish Extender at our cabin. If all else fails I will leave the GTY participants blank and fill them in on the first day when everyone knows their assignments.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #1450
Amy Fran
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
This is my inlaws 2nd TA cruise. They did the Westbound summer before last, I think. They LOVED the Transatlantic Cruise! But, they also love sea days! I think there is just as much offered on all the sea days on the TA cruise as there would be on any other sea day on a Caribbean cruise, or any other Disney cruise. I can't imagine getting bored!! But, that is me.... I love sea days, too. It would be my dream to do a Transatlantic cruise, but as long as they are only offering them in May and September, it's not possible for us because our kids are in school then...

As for rough seas... there is no way to say it'll be calm or rough. I do know when my inlaws did the TA cruise from east to west (in September) 2 years ago, they said it was calm the whole way (ie, no big swells, or major rocking motion). My MIL doesn't like rough waters, so she was nervous about the TA crossing, but came back saying it was awesome, and the weather was perfect, and no rough water (other than the just normal swells at sea, but nothing huge that would make you feel significant rocking motion).

BUT, you just never know.... so I would say if you are going to do a TA crossing (or any cruise with sea days), just have the expectation that you will get rough seas off and on. Even with blue skies, it can be rough... on our Panama Canal cruise Jan 2011, it got pretty rough on the Pacific side, but it was still blue skies outside... but they had to close the pools finally because it was so rough...

I will let you know how this TA cruise was for my inlaws once I hear from them after they get back. They are staying in Europe for 2 weeks after, so I won't be talking with them much until the end of June (just before we leave!).
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I love sea days, too, and always want more time on the ship so I'm totally excited about the idea. Steve said he likes visiting the new ports of call so I pointed out that we'll have more ports on the TA cruise than we will on a B2B Bahamaian cruise (which is the current plan for our daughter's graduation cruise). That made him think

The only cruise we've been on that I DIDN'T get sick at least one day was the Alaskan cruise. Being that close to land absolutely prevents any & all waves. So I thought maybe being that far FROM land might create some major waves. I've never tried the ear patch & think maybe that'd be a good plan for these longer (ie over 7 days) itineraries. Anyone successfully use them? I've heard you get really nauseous when you remove it after the cruise.
Amy Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #1451
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!

Back from Canada! DS and I had a great time! It was certainly an adventure. It was one of those trips where everything that could go wrong did, starting at the school departure when the teacher in charge realized right before we were to leave that he forgot all the kids parental permission slips at home! Can't leave the country with 40+ 8th graders without those! But all the kids (& adults) took it in stride and made some amazing memories.

At a cathedral we went to in Quebec, they had a replica of Michaelangelo's Pieta. My DS took a pic so he can compare when we get to Rome in a few months

I think being in Quebec and Montreal for those few days has made me even more excited now for the day in France! I can't wait and really hope we get to experience something of Bastille Day. That would be so perfect if they could stay a few hours late so we could see the fireworks! Who knows with the magic of Disney?!

When we were in Germany on the Baltic there was a celebration going on. We lucked out, left late and were able to see the fireworks as we left the port. I think that was more chance though...if I remember correctly, the train back from Berlin was late or something. It was really cool. DH and I were sitting on the veranda, drinking a few cold ones that he brought back from a brewery we stopped at on a tour, watching the fireworks.

My parents also did the transatlantic and loved it! They were surprised at how calm the seas were. I really hope to be able to do it some day too! That, the Hawaii cruise, Panama Canal.....my wish list just keeps getting longer.

For the FE, was it decided if we were being assigned days or blocks of days? Just curious so I know if I can start on the other gift I was going to do. It won't be any good at the end of the cruise LOL

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #1452
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
I can't wait and really hope we get to experience something of Bastille Day. That would be so perfect if they could stay a few hours late so we could see the fireworks! Who knows with the magic of Disney?!
I have bad news for you. I was on the Villefranche website last night - they are having their boat illumination and fireworks display & Fete Nationale Ball on the evening before (Saturday, July 13th). The day before we get there.

All they have listed for the day we are there is "Fete Nationale" at the war memorial at 9:00am (located at the Binon Gardens). I have sent an email off to find out what that means - my guess is a military parade (which is very popular for July 14th celebrations in France).

It looks though if you are looking for National Holiday celebrations that Eze is will be having something bigger going on in their Botantical Gardens.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #1453
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!

Oh that is so typical of my luck! I didn't even realize it was on a Sunday. I can see why they would do it on a Saturday night instead. Darn! Oh well...good excuse to go to bed early LOL

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #1454
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
I have bad news for you. I was on the Villefranche website last night - they are having their boat illumination and fireworks display & Fete Nationale Ball on the evening before (Saturday, July 13th). The day before we get there.

All they have listed for the day we are there is "Fete Nationale" at the war memorial at 9:00am (located at the Binon Gardens). I have sent an email off to find out what that means - my guess is a military parade (which is very popular for July 14th celebrations in France).

It looks though if you are looking for National Holiday celebrations that Eze is will be having something bigger going on in their Botantical Gardens.
I just heard back from the Tourism Office at Villefranche-sur-mer regarding Fete Nationale events in the port. Here is the translation of the email:

"I am sorry all the festivities take place on July 13th in Villefranche sur mer. I encourage you to contact Nice (www.nicetourisme.com) to find out what their events are for the 14th. Thank you for your interest. Regards."

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #1455
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Yes, you are correct on the rules for the SM. Just as you stated. I have not organized yet when the meet for the final reveal will be, but will start thinking about it and post info soon.

We do have a few GTY rooms for the FE, so hoping that they get updates soon. I will bring copies of the FE delivery cheat sheet to our meet and greet the first day and also have copies available in an envelope in our Fish Extender at our cabin. If all else fails I will leave the GTY participants blank and fill them in on the first day when everyone knows their assignments.
Great, thank you for confirming and for all of your efforts!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: