Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #1396
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 381

Oh good! Happy_Mamma and JJJr I am glad to hear that there will be other boys around his age too. We'll definitely have to meet up early in the trip so they get to know each other. We are second seating for dinner.

And H_M I may follow you guys to the train! I'm just kind of winging that part of the trip. I really want to just grab my camera and wander the villages taking pictures. If I can walk between them great...but even if I have to do the train between them...that's ok too.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #1397
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 771

Passports -- what will you do??

Hi All,

So, I keep hearing conflicting answers from different friends of mine who have cruised in Europe, and I'm not sure what is the best thing to do (and maybe the answer is just do what you feel is best for you and your family)....

The question: if you are on a private (non-Disney) excursion you booked, or just exploring a port on your own, do you take your passport with you or do you leave your passport on the ship, but just take a photo copy of your passport with you, along with ID (like a driver's license)?

One friend (who is very well-traveled) swears up and down that you should NOT take your passport off the ship but just take a photo copy of your passport, plus your ID, because they say if your actual passport gets stolen, it's a LOT of hassle you have to go through to 1) cancel it/report it stolen and 2) get one re-issued so you can get home. And, my friend says a photo copy of your passports shows you have a passport, and IF you happen to miss the ship (hopefully not!!), you can go to your country's embassy and with a copy of your passport, it's MUCH easier for the embassy to help you get to where you need to be, as opposed to having no copy of your passport.


However, my other friend (who is also well-traveled) is dead set on always keeping your passport with you (in a safe and secure spot on your person, and this way if you did miss your ship or got into trouble or whatever, you have your passport with you, and it's very easy to get help, or get to where you need to go...


I'm leaning toward photo-copies of our passports and leaving our actual passports on the ship. It makes me nervous, for some reason, to have all of our actual passports with us at every port we go to, but just having a photo copy instead, plus ID....

What are all of your thoughts or experiences?? Just curious!!

Thanks!!
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #1398
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Hi All,

So, I keep hearing conflicting answers from different friends of mine who have cruised in Europe, and I'm not sure what is the best thing to do (and maybe the answer is just do what you feel is best for you and your family)....

The question: if you are on a private (non-Disney) excursion you booked, or just exploring a port on your own, do you take your passport with you or do you leave your passport on the ship, but just take a photo copy of your passport with you, along with ID (like a driver's license)?

One friend (who is very well-traveled) swears up and down that you should NOT take your passport off the ship but just take a photo copy of your passport, plus your ID, because they say if your actual passport gets stolen, it's a LOT of hassle you have to go through to 1) cancel it/report it stolen and 2) get one re-issued so you can get home. And, my friend says a photo copy of your passports shows you have a passport, and IF you happen to miss the ship (hopefully not!!), you can go to your country's embassy and with a copy of your passport, it's MUCH easier for the embassy to help you get to where you need to be, as opposed to having no copy of your passport.


However, my other friend (who is also well-traveled) is dead set on always keeping your passport with you (in a safe and secure spot on your person, and this way if you did miss your ship or got into trouble or whatever, you have your passport with you, and it's very easy to get help, or get to where you need to go...


I'm leaning toward photo-copies of our passports and leaving our actual passports on the ship. It makes me nervous, for some reason, to have all of our actual passports with us at every port we go to, but just having a photo copy instead, plus ID....

What are all of your thoughts or experiences?? Just curious!!

Thanks!!
I can see a big downside to both but I plan on bringing the physical passport with me and leaving the photocopy on board. There are major consultates in Barcelona, so if I need to replace it that would seem like the place, not in some port where you maybe 100 miles away.
__________________
Disneyland - 21 times, Disney World Feb 05, Nov 11 DCL Eastern Carribean Feb 05, Alaska July 11, Mediterranean July 13

Last edited by JimmyJackJunior; 05-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.
JimmyJackJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1399
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
I can see a big downside to both but I plan on bringing the physical passport with me and leaving the photocopy on board. There are major consultates in Barcelona, so if I need to replace it that would seem like the place, not in some port where you maybe 100 miles away.
that is a really good point that there are not consulates in the town of every port we will be at! Hmmm.... I keep waffling back & forth about what to do.

I think in the Rick Steve's book, he recommends taking your passport with you (I think I read that in his book, but maybe I am remembering wrong).
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #1400
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
that is a really good point that there are not consulates in the town of every port we will be at! Hmmm.... I keep waffling back & forth about what to do.

I think in the Rick Steve's book, he recommends taking your passport with you (I think I read that in his book, but maybe I am remembering wrong).
Been awhile since I read the beginning chapter but I remember the same.
__________________
Disneyland - 21 times, Disney World Feb 05, Nov 11 DCL Eastern Carribean Feb 05, Alaska July 11, Mediterranean July 13
JimmyJackJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #1401
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears
 
Disney_fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 48

When we were on the Med cruise in 2011 we took our passports everywhere, but I don't recall anyone asking to see them. The cruise director will announce if you need your passport the night before.

We are stationed in the UK and travel a lot. Sometimes we leave our passport in the hotel safe while other times we take it on excursions. I think it's up to your comfort level.

One tip - Disney offers a service where you give them your passport and they will make sure it is stamped at each port.
__________________
Michelle

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #1402
disneycrazy2004
too far away from Disney....
 
disneycrazy2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 918

We are leaving ours on the ship and taking photocopy with us. It is really hard to cancel and reissue a passport while abroad. I used to work on cruise ships and always carried a photocopy with me and left the passport on the ship. But again it is what you are comfortable with....
__________________
MEDH DS 16 DD 14 Cujo Mitzie
Disney World-first trip-off site 2004All Star Music-September,2007Disney Magic-March,2008All Star Sports-September,2008 Pop Century-August,2009 All Star Movies-December,2009 Pop Century-August,2010 All Star Music-August,2011Caribbean Beach Resort-August,2011 Disney Magic-March,2012Port Orleans-Riverside-August,2012Disney Magic-Summer2013-B2B Med Cruise DVC Saratoga Springs Resort-May,2014
disneycrazy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #1403
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneve, Switzerland
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Hi All,

Two questions.

1)Prior to our Med cruise, we've only used Disney transfers for all of our other Disney Cruises, so this will be the first time we are arriving to port on our own.

How does it work with your luggage when you arrive to port on your own? (ie, when do you drop your luggage off with the luggage crew people... I'm assuming you don't carry your luggage on the ship on your own, only because I've never seen anyone carting suitcases around when they board the ship).

2) For those of you who have been to the Barcelona Terminal, how long (from your experience) did it take you from when you walked into the doors at port to when you actually were checked-in and ready to board? We have an 11:30 AM check-in time, but I was reading through all the info online again, and noticed for Barcelona, it says that the port doors open at 11AM and boarding the ship does not begin until 1PM.

Based off of our experience at Port Canaveral and the LA port (when we've cruise with Disney from there), from when we walk in the doors to go through security to when we are fully checked in, I think the max time for us has been 30 minutes... it always seems to go pretty fast and smooth.

But, I'm wondering if the Barcelona terminal is different (ie, less check-in desks, so check-in may take longer, or the terminal is a lot larger, so takes longer time to get from security to the check-in desks, etc. etc.).

We just don't want to get there at 11:30, and then be all checked in ready to go at 12:00, and then we have to sit around for an hour in crowds of people before waiting for them to even open the doors to the ship (and it'll be longer than an hour wait for us because I know concierge, etc board first, and we are not concierge).

I do realize the earlier you get there, the lower boarding number you get, so that will help you get on the ship faster, but even with the boarding numbers, they seem to only be like 5 minutes apart in boarding times, so it seems to go pretty fast. I just don't want to get checked in and then everyone in port is just waiting to board for an hour because the doors at not even open yet. I like to time it where when we are fully checked in the doors are open, and people are already boarding the ship (because then the port is not AS crazy and crowded because people are leaving the terminal to get on the ship).

Just wondering what people's experiences are with port arrival timing in Barcelona... and, at the end of the day, it really isn't a HUGE deal I mean, if we have to wait around in crowds of people at port, so be it. But, just trying to figure this out to get a better idea.

Thoughts??

Thanks!
First the Barcelona terminal is HUGE, so you don't have to be worried about crowds of people, you will have plenty of room. The terminal in Dover was much smaller and we were literally bumping into people waiting to get on.

That being said, the wait time in Dover was much longer, about an hour and a half and we had the first check-in time (whatever that was 4 years ago). Two years ago in Barcelona we again had the first check in time and got on about 45 minutes later. In Barcelona there was entertainment while waiting as well, plus some character appearances for picture opportunities.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #1404
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geneve, Switzerland
Posts: 142

Fish Extender and Secret Mickey

Our Fish Extender list is set. I know some people are still waiting for room assignments and they will be filled in as they are known. I will also make a FE delivery sheet to give out to everyone on the cruise. I do have a few names on a second list that are interested if we can get enough additional parties signed up for a second group. At this time, I would say those on the sign up sheet on the first page are a group of 25 and a second group (it any) would be another group of however many. If people in the first group of 25 want to join the potential second group as well, please let me know.

Sorry the Secret Mickeys are not done yet. Still awaiting confirmation on one last person so I can set that up. Will do as soon as I get the go ahead on it.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #1405
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran
 
WDW Princess 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_fans View Post
One tip - Disney offers a service where you give them your passport and they will make sure it is stamped at each port.
Do you have experience doing this with DCL? I would be so happy if this is accurate, but I've read conflicting answers on the main forum on the DIS. I know on the Carribean Disney cruises I've been on, I've had "hit or miss" with leaving my passport to get stamped at guest services. Some cast members told me flat out no, some said sure, no problem, and others said they could try but couldn't guarantee a stamp. I would say I got about 50% of the stamps I attempted to get this way. I would really love to know from someone who has sailed on the Med cruises before, if Guest Services does in fact get passport stamps for you if you want, or if we are on our own to try to get them in port, which not every port has a booth/customs office to even do so.
__________________
Nicole


September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #1406
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 771

One place not to buy Gelato in Rome

I ran across this article where some tourists got scammed when buying gelato in Rome:

http://www.wantedinrome.com/news/200...ce-creams.html

So, maybe the lesson here is ask what the price of the gelato (or whatever food you are buying) is before you have them scoop it, OR, if it is true (from what the owners of the gelato store said) that the prices were clearly displayed, I guess the lesson is to be observant and look for prices first....

I can tell you, if I bought gelato for 16 Euros, that would have to be some DARN GOOD, OUT OF THIS WORLD gelato!

So, make a mental note of the name of the gelato store and not buy gelato there if you are at the Spanish Steps area!

Last edited by LovesToRun; 05-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1407
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbelltwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Neverland!
Posts: 1,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-GRO-UP View Post
Thanks Tink, to fill in the ????s. Jason, DW Buffy, DS Aaron, DD Georgia. . Learning as I go
You're welcome! Have a great day!
__________________

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1408
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best
 
bellelinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
I ran across this article where some tourists got scammed when buying gelato in Rome:

http://www.wantedinrome.com/news/200...ce-creams.html

So, maybe the lesson here is ask what the price of the gelato (or whatever food you are buying) is before you have them scoop it, OR, if it is true (from what the owners of the gelato store said) that the prices were clearly displayed, I guess the lesson is to be observant and look for prices first....

I can tell you, if I bought gelato for 16 Euros, that would have to be some DARN GOOD, OUT OF THIS WORLD gelato!

So, make a mental note of the name of the gelato store and not buy gelato there if you are at the Spanish Steps area!
Well, I can vouch for this issue - when my middle daughter was 16 she took a study abroad and was in Florence. She asked for a gelato, they handed it to her, she licked it, and then they said it was 20 euro! She learned her lesson - ALWAYS ask and confirm the price before ordering something. Even if the price is listed, it never hurts to confirm the price verbally.
__________________
--Julie

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #1409
Y-GRO-UP
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16

Disney Passport Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_fans View Post
When we were on the Med cruise in 2011 we took our passports everywhere, but I don't recall anyone asking to see them. The cruise director will announce if you need your passport the night before.

We are stationed in the UK and travel a lot. Sometimes we leave our passport in the hotel safe while other times we take it on excursions. I think it's up to your comfort level.

One tip - Disney offers a service where you give them your passport and they will make sure it is stamped at each port.
Can anyone expound on this...Disney Passport stamped..my kids would love to get more stamps in their passport.
Y-GRO-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #1410
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 208

Fe planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Our Fish Extender list is set. I know some people are still waiting for room assignments and they will be filled in as they are known. I will also make a FE delivery sheet to give out to everyone on the cruise. I do have a few names on a second list that are interested if we can get enough additional parties signed up for a second group. At this time, I would say those on the sign up sheet on the first page are a group of 25 and a second group (it any) would be another group of however many. If people in the first group of 25 want to join the potential second group as well, please let me know.

Sorry the Secret Mickeys are not done yet. Still awaiting confirmation on one last person so I can set that up. Will do as soon as I get the go ahead on it.
Thanks so much for all your hard work in organizing the FE. One question: are you planning to assign different days to each cabin or just leave it "free-form"? I've participated in different FE groups that did it each way - just wondering.
Randi
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: