Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #1351
fabulousoldshoes
Earning My Ears
 
fabulousoldshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Is anyone else really excited that we get to sail on the "classic" Magic, the way she is now? I'm sure most of you have seen the announcement this week of the updates and changes they will be doing during the Magic's 6 week dry dock after this Europe season. Some of the things look cool, like the Aquadunk water slide, and of course the general refurb of the rooms and public spaces is needed. But I'm not crazy that they are getting rid of Parrot Cay and turning it into Carioca's...I think that name is lame and the artist rendering doesn't look very appealing or Disney like. I'm also not a fan of them removing half of the staircase in the atrium. Overall I'm sure there will be things I'll like and not like, but I'm very nostalgic and don't like change to things I'm fond of. I'm really glad to be able to enjoy 12 nights on the Magic the way she has been for the past 15 years. Although I've only sailed her once, I've sailed the Wonder 3 other times so I'm fond of the classic ships layouts and features and will definitely be sad to see some of the things go/change.
Some of the changes do seem pretty cool. I love the atrium the way it is though and I'm going to miss it after the change, especially the chandelier they have now it's one of my favorite things on the ship. I've never really been a fan of Parrot Cay though so I won't be sad to see it go. It seems I always end up in their on formal night and my dress always clashes with the bright colors haha.
fabulousoldshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #1352
Amy Fran
Mouseketeer
 
Amy Fran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rochelle, Illinois
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousoldshoes View Post
Some of the changes do seem pretty cool. I love the atrium the way it is though and I'm going to miss it after the change, especially the chandelier they have now it's one of my favorite things on the ship. I've never really been a fan of Parrot Cay though so I won't be sad to see it go. It seems I always end up in their on formal night and my dress always clashes with the bright colors haha.
That's so funny! We, too, cross our fingers that we won't be in Parrot Cay for formal night! This is certainly a welcome change that I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'm most "upset" about the atrium changes, but I keep reminding myself that Disney doesn't spend millions of dollars to make things ugly. I'm sure they have a brilliant plan for beautiful spaces (besides a brilliant marketing plan that makes everyone want to sail on the new & improved Magic next year!)
Amy Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #1353
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 381

We too got our bookings done last night! Finally!!

The only two DCL excursions we did were the Ephesus w/ Terrace Houses & Pisa & Lucca for DH & DS. And we managed to get Palo for the last night at sea. I've already done Pisa and Lucca on another trip and really want to visit Cinque Terre - which I am probably going to do on my own. I really want to just see the villages and take photos. If anyone else is planning to go and wants to meet up, take pictures and wander the villages let me know!

I'm disappointed there weren't many options left for Athens. With three ships in port that day its going to be a zoo so we are thinking about what our options are for that day.

I'm glad we were finally able to get at least this part of the trip settled. Now its time to really get the planning together. DH and DS are going to S America in June for 10 days so that will likely be when I get most of the shopping done for the trip! And then I'll start packing.

In the meantime I have to prep for mine & DS's upcoming trip to WDW and plan some fun stuff for my niece and nephew for their trip in Dec. I'll likely end up making some things for them and ship them to their resort to be waiting for them. I did a lot of fun stuff last year for DS's birthday trip with his friends. So I have some ideas. Also need to try and get some character photos this upcoming trip so I can make an autograph book for my niece.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #1354
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu View Post
We too got our bookings done last night! Finally!!

The only two DCL excursions we did were the Ephesus w/ Terrace Houses & Pisa & Lucca for DH & DS. And we managed to get Palo for the last night at sea. I've already done Pisa and Lucca on another trip and really want to visit Cinque Terre - which I am probably going to do on my own. I really want to just see the villages and take photos. If anyone else is planning to go and wants to meet up, take pictures and wander the villages let me know!

I'm disappointed there weren't many options left for Athens. With three ships in port that day its going to be a zoo so we are thinking about what our options are for that day.

I'm glad we were finally able to get at least this part of the trip settled. Now its time to really get the planning together. DH and DS are going to S America in June for 10 days so that will likely be when I get most of the shopping done for the trip! And then I'll start packing.

In the meantime I have to prep for mine & DS's upcoming trip to WDW and plan some fun stuff for my niece and nephew for their trip in Dec. I'll likely end up making some things for them and ship them to their resort to be waiting for them. I did a lot of fun stuff last year for DS's birthday trip with his friends. So I have some ideas. Also need to try and get some character photos this upcoming trip so I can make an autograph book for my niece.
Congrats on getting to book excursions & Palo!!

I would keep checking periodically on the Athens excursions. People change their minds and cancel. And, also check back 3 or 4 days before the cruise because if you cancel within 3 days before the cruise, you still get charged, so if anyone is going to cancel an Athens excursion it would be 4 days before the cruise so they don't get charged.

Also, sometimes there are openings once you are on the ship, so if you still don't have any plans booked for Athens by the time you get on the ship, go to guest services when you board and see if there are openings... that happened to us once on a cruise. We wanted a particular excursion that was booked online, but once we boarded, guest services was able to get us on the excursion.

And, South America sounds super fun!!! Where are you going in S. America! I SO hope that Disney at some point has an itinerary going to S. America!
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #1355
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 381

DH's family is in Colombia so he and DS are headed to Medellin. It is lovely (have been 6 times but not making this trip). DS is going to camp while he is there and it will all be in Spanish. We'll see how much he has really learned at school! He's in a bilingual immersion program so even though he's only 6 I think he's doing pretty well.

We are on the fence about taking him to Ephesus. But if we do he will technically travel to 4 different continents on his summer vacation. Quite the summer for him. Will be tough to top this one.

Thanks for the advice about the excursions. We will check back as we figure out what our options/plans are.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #1356
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu View Post
DH's family is in Colombia so he and DS are headed to Medellin. It is lovely (have been 6 times but not making this trip). DS is going to camp while he is there and it will all be in Spanish. We'll see how much he has really learned at school! He's in a bilingual immersion program so even though he's only 6 I think he's doing pretty well.

We are on the fence about taking him to Ephesus. But if we do he will technically travel to 4 different continents on his summer vacation. Quite the summer for him. Will be tough to top this one.

Thanks for the advice about the excursions. We will check back as we figure out what our options/plans are.
Oh, I misread and I had thought you said YOU and DH were going to S. America, but now I see you said DH & DS. That is SO great they are doing that!! I have really good friends here who are from Colombia...the NICEST people! I love their accents, too. My favorite thing when she sends me a text message and she intends to write "haha" in her text, she writes "jaja" instead. I love it!!

What a great opportunity for your son! Traveling is one of the best educations an child can get, I think.

Last edited by LovesToRun; 04-29-2013 at 05:49 PM.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #1357
Y-GRO-UP
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16

first time to DISboards....

Anyone out there..? just stumbled across this disboards.com while searching for information on our return flight from Barcelona. We have been on one Disney Cruise before but never in the Med. Not sure exactly how this DisBoard works. But i have some questions regarding our Med cruise and it seem like alot of people on this board know a lot of stuff about Disney cruises.

Cruising July 13 out of Barcelona. Husband, wife, 14 yr old boy, 11 yr old girl. 2nd seating from Virginia....USA.
Y-GRO-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #1358
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-GRO-UP View Post
Anyone out there..? just stumbled across this disboards.com while searching for information on our return flight from Barcelona. We have been on one Disney Cruise before but never in the Med. Not sure exactly how this DisBoard works. But i have some questions regarding our Med cruise and it seem like alot of people on this board know a lot of stuff about Disney cruises.

Cruising July 13 out of Barcelona. Husband, wife, 14 yr old boy, 11 yr old girl. 2nd seating from Virginia....USA.
Welcome to the DISboards! And to the July 13th sailing to Greece & Turkey on the Magic meet thread. Ask away on a post....there is always someone that knows an answer or will find out!
__________________
~Heather~



Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #1359
Y-GRO-UP
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16

DISair? How?what?

I believe I have read posts referencing Making arrangements with DISair after debarkation to make sure they get to the flight back to the states from Barcelona. ... what is DISair? How to? Can I book separately and still make a 10:30 or 11:05 flight? Thoughts? Thanks
Y-GRO-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #1360
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-GRO-UP View Post
I believe I have read posts referencing Making arrangements with DISair after debarkation to make sure they get to the flight back to the states from Barcelona. ... what is DISair? How to? Can I book separately and still make a 10:30 or 11:05 flight? Thoughts? Thanks
There are two things they could be talking about:

1. Booking flights directly with Disney Cruise Line. This way DCL will ensure that you make the flights & the cruise portion and you don't have any hassle. You need to do this directly with your cruise reservation. Some have found it more expensive and some have found it a comparable price to booking seperately. DCL has been known not to always follow their own guidelines of departures (i.e. after 12:00pm) when booking flights for guests. But they have ensured that they got to their flights.

2. You can book transfers with DCL to and from the ship. I believe that you must be within the guidelines of a departure after 12:00pm in order to ensure that you have enough time. (Perhaps someone else can confirm this or call DCL direct). My opinion would be that if your flights are earlier than the recommended time I would book something privately - either by taxi or with a car service. My parents have an 11:35 flight that morning and we have booked a car service to be safe. [It ended up being much cheaper this way than the DCL transfers] My experience was that DCL will ask the prior evening if anyone has an earlier flight so that they can try and expedite your departure from the ship.

Does this help any?
__________________
~Heather~



Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #1361
Y-GRO-UP
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16

Yes, good info. Still not sure on whether to try for it or book a flight the next morning and stay at an airport hotel upon debarkation. As for DISair, do we have to have booked the cruise via DCL?. We booked through a TA
Y-GRO-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #1362
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-GRO-UP View Post
Yes, good info. Still not sure on whether to try for it or book a flight the next morning and stay at an airport hotel upon debarkation. As for DISair, do we have to have booked the cruise via DCL?. We booked through a TA
Hi there! Welcome to our group.

I haven't ever booked air through Disney, but my inlaws have, and they booked it through their TA who also booked their cruise. I'm guessing your TA can book the air for you through Disney as well. I would ask your TA if you do want to go this route.

If you do book your air with Disney (whether it's Disney direct or your TA), supposedly they guarantee that you will make your flight (or at least book you on a new flight with no charges to you if you miss your flight because the ship didn't get to port on time, or a reason that is Disney related).

But, if you book your air on your own, I haven't ever been to Barcelona, but my rule of thumb is I would not book a flight before 12:00 PM, and I would actually plan for booking a flight in the afternoon (and if you have to wait a bit at the airport, that is better than rushing and barely making it, or possibly missing your flight). But, if you do get a flight at 11:30 AM, you can request with guest services that you be in the first group off the ship, and I would pre-arrange a private car/taxi to drive you to the airport so the taxi is there waiting for you so you don't have to wait in the Taxi line at port, and you can get to the airport right away this way.

I am also not sure about this, but if you decide to take the Disney Transportation from port to the airport, I think they require your flight to leave after 12:00PM. But, I'm not sure about that. But, one benefit to doing Disney transportation, if you have a flight close to noon, is Disney will check in your bags for you from the ship, so you won't see your bags until you get home.... that saves you standing in lines at the airport waiting to check your own bags. However, I would make sure Disney does air/bag check for your particular airline (they don't do this for every single airline).

But, if you decide to stay the night near the airport and take an early morning flight the next day, I know there are lots of really reasonably priced hotels near the airport with free airport shuttle service.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #1363
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears
 
Disney_fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 48

Early flight departure

We did the Disney Med cruise in 2011 and had a 10:45am flight out of Barcelona. It's a small airport and very easy to get around. We made sure we were the first group off the ship and took a taxi to the airport. We had plenty of time. That said, we were very stressed the night before. If you do choose an early flight, I would recommend a couple things - be in the first group off the ship, take your luggage with you rather than having the ship take your luggage the night before, and go directly to the taxi line. We waited only 5 minutes for a taxi, but we heard the queue got very long and some people waited up to 45 minutes. The good news is that the drive to the airport is pretty short.
__________________
Michelle

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #1364
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbelltwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Neverland!
Posts: 1,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPaulPgh View Post
My partner Brian and our son Brennen (age 5) and I are looking forward to this great trip. We are from Pittsburgh, PA and Palm Coast, FL. Second seating. #7598
Welcome Aboard! By looking at your DISname, I guessed that your name was Paul for the Roll Call. Flip me a PM if I'm wrong on that!

Beth
__________________

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1365
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbelltwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Neverland!
Posts: 1,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-GRO-UP View Post
Anyone out there..? just stumbled across this disboards.com while searching for information on our return flight from Barcelona. We have been on one Disney Cruise before but never in the Med. Not sure exactly how this DisBoard works. But i have some questions regarding our Med cruise and it seem like alot of people on this board know a lot of stuff about Disney cruises.

Cruising July 13 out of Barcelona. Husband, wife, 14 yr old boy, 11 yr old girl. 2nd seating from Virginia....USA.
Welcome Aboard. You've been added to the Roll Call on page 1.
__________________

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: