Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1291
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
Ladies: any tips for outfit packing for this trip? I know there are some great threads on the main boards, but I am facing packing planning chaos here with 3.5 weeks planned in Europe. Specifically, I'm wondering how many on-shore/touring outfits, evening (non semi-formal/formal), and dressy outfits you're bringing for YOU (I can cope with the kids and DH!)
Hey there,

Well, I don't have my outfits specifically planned out necessarily, but I do know for most of my port days, I will be wearing either skorts or shorts, a tank top and depending on what we have planned, I may bring a light jacket (if we go into air conditioned buildings...I get cold super easily especially if the A/C is really cold).

I also am bringing about 4 or 5 sundresses with me that will work for both days (at port, if the sundress is appropriate attire for what we have planned), and they will work well for dinners (both cruise casual and semi-formal).

As for formal night & Palo, this might change as we get closer, but for me, I'll probably bring (if I feel I have space) one strappy black cocktail type dress... it's light weight and doesn't take up much space.

I plan to wear things over again for sure. We actually will be gone for 5 weeks in Europe! So, we have a lot of planning to do in terms of clothes (we'll be in Italy, then the cruise, and then England), so my plan is to bring clothes for 7 days and just keep doing laundry.

As for sea days, I will probably just wear pool attire (swim suit/cover-up), for during the day, or a skort and a tank top if I'm not on the top deck enjoying the sun.

As for shoes, I'm bringing two pairs of good walking sandals that work for both sundresses and skirts/skorts as well as shorts, then a couple pairs of flip-flops (one casual pair to wear on the top decks when I'm in my swim suit/cover-up), and then I have a nice/dressier pair of black velour flip-flops with rhinestones on the top part that goes across my foot. I don't know if flip-flops really can even go in the "dressy" category, but I make it work. They actually look cute with my black strappy cocktail dresses (with nicely painted toenails, of course). .

I'm bringing one pair of capri's to wear in Rome for so I can go into the Vatican, and then some sort of light covering to put over my shoulders for the Vatican, but will probably just wear a tank top in Rome when we aren't in the Vatican.

I'm also bringing workout clothes and my running shoes, so I can workout.

I will probably bring mostly tank tops or light t-shirts for tops (probably will be 5 tank tops and 2 or 3 t-shirts), shorts/skorts/skirts for bottoms (probably 3 skorts, 2 skirts and 2 pairs of shorts), though. And, I'm bringing a pair of long pants (like khaki type pants, so they look nicer, but keep me warm on a cool night or on the ship where there is A/C, or I may bring a nice pair of jeans instead... regardless, I will have one pair of long pants or jeans) and then probably 2-3 long sleeved shirts, too, for cooler evenings, or in-doors (because of the A/C), and then a comfortable track suit (or whatever people call those velour or terry cloth pants and zip up hooded jacket) sets that are casual, but look nice for casual to wear in the evenings or if we do have any cooler days on our trip (which might happen in England). The velour or terry cloth pants/zip up jacket is what I wear on the plane, actually... GREAT for travel because they are so comfortable and look nice, so I always have that set with me when we travel... just comfortable lounge type clothes, basically).

Overall, I'm not bringing a lot of clothes, and I plan on bringing clothes I can wear a few different ways (mix and match), and like I said, I plan on wearing the same things over again (just doing laundry). Also, a lot of the clothes I have are really light weight material so they won't be too bulky or heavy to pack.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #1292
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Thanks, LovesToRun -- very helpful. It sounds like we are taking similar approaches, which always makes me feel better!

Speaking of loving to run...will we find you on Deck 4?
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #1293
mom3bellasorella
Earning My Ears

Wow! Great description... All I have to say is Ditto! I may bring one fancy type dress for Formal night and then the cocktail dress for Palo/semi formal. I may change my mind on that though and just stick with the cocktail dress and sundresses that I dress up.

I tend to over pack but am trying to stick with the 7 day rule and do laundry on board. So hard though.

A light jacket with a hood is a good choice. Last time we had a day of rain and ended up having to buy ponchos. I would add that to the list.

The capri's are good for dinning as well, you can dress those up if they are black or white with tank and cute jacket or sweater and rhinestone flip flops. I do that a lot.
mom3bellasorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #1294
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, LovesToRun -- very helpful. It sounds like we are taking similar approaches, which always makes me feel better!

Speaking of loving to run...will we find you on Deck 4?

I will for sure be on Deck 4! However, in just the past 4 or 5 months, I have thrown in the towel for running (although, I do run just a tiny bit here and there, just because I do REALLY love to run!!!). I had a very bad ankle injury 3 years ago, and was in rehab 3 days a week for 11 months (not sure if I would be able to run again for about the first 7 months of rehab), but with perseverance and LOTS of hard work, I was able to run again (thanks to an amazing PT and Orthopedic doctor), and I DID run again and was so happy.... but my ankle has really never been the same... it's about as good as it will ever get at this point, and I found myself back in PT every few months to get my ankle worked on again. Basically, I just got tired of my ankle hurting from running and going back to PT, so last November, I made the choice to quit running as my main form of exercise, BUT like I said, I do run little bits here and there. I definitely am able to run, but I just can't run a lot, unless I want to have ankle pain, and I don't want any ankle pain on our trip. But, the good news is since I made the choice to stop running on a regular basis, I haven't been back to PT at all, and my ankle has felt pretty good! SO, it was definitely a GOOD choice, and I'm totally fine with it.

SO, a LONG answer to your short question is yes, I for sure 100% will be on deck 4 briskly walking laps, and *maybe* running a few laps here and there in the mix of walking.

I know there are other runners here on this Cruise Meet group, so I think there will be a lot of us on deck 4. My husband is a distance runner, too, so he for SURE will be out on deck 4 running...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #1295
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3bellasorella View Post
Wow! Great description... All I have to say is Ditto! I may bring one fancy type dress for Formal night and then the cocktail dress for Palo/semi formal. I may change my mind on that though and just stick with the cocktail dress and sundresses that I dress up.

I tend to over pack but am trying to stick with the 7 day rule and do laundry on board. So hard though.

A light jacket with a hood is a good choice. Last time we had a day of rain and ended up having to buy ponchos. I would add that to the list.

The capri's are good for dinning as well, you can dress those up if they are black or white with tank and cute jacket or sweater and rhinestone flip flops. I do that a lot.
Ponchos are great ideas!! I am sure we'll bring those, too, just in case. Being from Seattle, we are VERY used to the rain, but it's always good to be prepared for sure and ponchos are light weight and hardly take up any suitcase space, so a good idea for unexpected rain at any port.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #1296
calihannah
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear about your injury! That sounds really rotten

I do a mix of run/walk intervals, which is a good tip on how you'll spot me on Deck 4 I also often have a stroller with me, which is pretty funny when not having an actual jogging stroller, as I'll be in the Med! I did my first half marathon back in January - the Tinkerbell Half at Disneyland Not planning another half as of now, but sorely tempted to do the Tink again next year!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #1297
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your injury! That sounds really rotten

I do a mix of run/walk intervals, which is a good tip on how you'll spot me on Deck 4 I also often have a stroller with me, which is pretty funny when not having an actual jogging stroller, as I'll be in the Med! I did my first half marathon back in January - the Tinkerbell Half at Disneyland Not planning another half as of now, but sorely tempted to do the Tink again next year!
How fun that you did the Tinkerbell Half Marathon! I have heard that is a really fun race to do. Good for you!!! You should for sure do it again next year.

I'm sure we'll see each other on deck 4, and I love your stroller idea, and hey... as long as it has wheels, you can still do your run/walk with it. We are way past the stroller stage, but back when our boys were in a stroller, we never took the jogging stroller (we had a double jogger) when we travelled, but just regular strollers, or umbrella strollers (we had a double umbrella stroller since our kids are so close in age)... and, it is possible to run with an umbrella stroller, you know. LOL!!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #1298
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
How fun that you did the Tinkerbell Half Marathon! I have heard that is a really fun race to do. Good for you!!! You should for sure do it again next year.
Hoping to! The registration opens when we are already in Europe pre-cruise, so we'll see DH is almost on board...he doesn't want to run it himself, but he's not sure about my training plan for the fall if I do it

Quote:
I'm sure we'll see each other on deck 4, and I love your stroller idea, and hey... as long as it has wheels, you can still do your run/walk with it. We are way past the stroller stage, but back when our boys were in a stroller, we never took the jogging stroller (we had a double jogger) when we travelled, but just regular strollers, or umbrella strollers (we had a double umbrella stroller since our kids are so close in age)... and, it is possible to run with an umbrella stroller, you know. LOL!!
Wow, now that is dedication! I must admit that I've never run with an umbrella stroller before! We have a City Mini, which is at least a 3-wheel design -- handles Deck 4 well enough at my turtle pace anyhow
Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #1299
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hoping to! The registration opens when we are already in Europe pre-cruise, so we'll see DH is almost on board...he doesn't want to run it himself, but he's not sure about my training plan for the fall if I do it

Wow, now that is dedication! I must admit that I've never run with an umbrella stroller before! We have a City Mini, which is at least a 3-wheel design -- handles Deck 4 well enough at my turtle pace anyhow
Oh, I didn't do like long runs and training type runs with an umbrella strollers... just on vacation if we had to run from point A to point B for some reason, etc, or if we'd go to a park or some place with smooth flat paved trails, we'd do a light jog, but that is about all you can do with an umbrella stroller in terms of running. But, as I say, if it has wheels, you can run (or lightly jog) with it.

Well, hopefully it'll work for you to sign up! It can be a lot to train for those bigger races and it takes family support (if you have kids), but you can make it a family event, too. Some of the longer races I trained for, my DH and my boys would meet me at certain points (in the car) to deliver me water on my long run days (which would be Saturdays). It was actually really fun for our kids (and DH enjoyed it, too) to drive to a spot and see me coming, the boys would get the water bottle out and they would call themselves the "support crew". Maybe your training can a family event (or maybe it already is).

Although, I did quit doing the longer races about 6 years ago because it became too hard with the kids getting older (and they started getting involved in sports, so I scaled down on the race/running lengths), and I had already done enough of the longer races anyway, so I just started doing shorter distances that didn't create any big commitment at all.

But, the longer races are definitely big commitment, BUT if you only do it once a year, and it's at Disneyland, so you can incorporate a trip to Disneyland with it... it can definitely become a family event! You get to run the race, the family gets to go to Disneyland... a win-win! And, often half-marathons/marathons have smaller kids races on the same day or the day before (like a 1K race), so then the participant's kids can also do a race the same day or the day before. And, that is fun for the kids! Not sure if the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon has something like that for kids.

Regardless, good for you for doing the race to even begin with!! 13.1 miles is not easy!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #1300
calihannah
Mouseketeer

The Tink Half was really the perfect family event -- 3 days at Disneyland was fabulous! We spent the day at the park after the half marathon -- I think we were at the park by 10am! I was wearing my fitbit that day and between the marathon and the park, I covered over 22 miles that day. It was CRAZY. Of course, I couldn't walk much at ALL the day after!

Reminiscing really is making me want to go do it again!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #1301
happy_momma
Earning My Ears

I have to chime in to the running conversations...one of my favourite topics along with trip planning and Disney, LOL. I'm hoping to get out at least a few times while on the cruise and would love to have some company. I am motivated when I am home, but need an extra push when I'm on vacation and could be sleeping.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, LTR - I had to take 6 months off from running and weight training last year following an illness/surgery, and it was so hard. That must have been a tough decision for you to make.

I did the Disney Princess Half-Marathon last year - similar to the Tinkerbell, I guess. We made a family vacation out of it, with two other families, and had a blast. Disney knows how to put on a fun event, for sure. They did have a kids' event, but our kids were too busy in the parks to do that one. I'm running my 4th half in a few weeks...funny after a long race and putting in the time for training, I always say I don't know if I'll do another. But the bug always bites me again...Sounds like that's where you are, CaliHannah.
happy_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #1302
Amy Fran
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_momma View Post
I have to chime in to the running conversations...one of my favourite topics along with trip planning and Disney, LOL. I'm hoping to get out at least a few times while on the cruise and would love to have some company. I am motivated when I am home, but need an extra push when I'm on vacation and could be sleeping.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, LTR - I had to take 6 months off from running and weight training last year following an illness/surgery, and it was so hard. That must have been a tough decision for you to make.

I did the Disney Princess Half-Marathon last year - similar to the Tinkerbell, I guess. We made a family vacation out of it, with two other families, and had a blast. Disney knows how to put on a fun event, for sure. They did have a kids' event, but our kids were too busy in the parks to do that one. I'm running my 4th half in a few weeks...funny after a long race and putting in the time for training, I always say I don't know if I'll do another. But the bug always bites me again...Sounds like that's where you are, CaliHannah.
That's funny - I always end a race with hopes to do longer distances! After finishing my first half, I realized I could do a full. Finished a full and thought going Goofy wouldn't be so bad. Now I'm registered to do Dopey in January so I will HAVE to be on Deck 4 or a treadmill at least a few times during the cruise just to maintain. Having running buddies will be a very helpful push to get out there!
Amy Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #1303
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Tink Half was really the perfect family event -- 3 days at Disneyland was fabulous! We spent the day at the park after the half marathon -- I think we were at the park by 10am! I was wearing my fitbit that day and between the marathon and the park, I covered over 22 miles that day. It was CRAZY. Of course, I couldn't walk much at ALL the day after!

Reminiscing really is making me want to go do it again!
That does sound crazy, BUT also sounds so much fun!! You should definitely do it again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_momma View Post

I love all of these Disney races....

Well, "happy momma", I am a huge motivator when people need/want motivation for running or just exercise/working out in general! I am one of those who will say "great job" or "you're almost there" or "keep it up", or "you can do it!!", etc during a race to complete strangers doing the race as well. I love to run, but not one of those super serious intense runners who just are focused on getting a certain time, etc. I mean, I definitely am very competitive with myself and always want to beat my time from the previous race, and I am for sure focused on my own run, and have a strategy for each particular run, etc., BUT in the same time, I just see it as a fun event and I love to encourage people along the way!!!

So, if I see you on deck 4 or anywhere else on the ship, I'll help motivate you to run a few times on the cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Fran View Post
That's funny - I always end a race with hopes to do longer distances! After finishing my first half, I realized I could do a full. Finished a full and thought going Goofy wouldn't be so bad. Now I'm registered to do Dopey in January so I will HAVE to be on Deck 4 or a treadmill at least a few times during the cruise just to maintain. Having running buddies will be a very helpful push to get out there!
I am exactly like you!! Well, I was exactly like you, I should say, until I finally pushed myself too far with doing a longer race, and then I burned myself out, and that is when I started scaling down and decided my long race days were over and I started doing shorter races, which were so much fun and so much easier in terms of training.

One of my closest girlfriends here is just like me, so we'd always do the same races and train for them together, and we'd finish a race, and then sign up for another, and we worked ourselves up to the marathon level. We also did triathlons together, but the short triathlons. Well, then she and I got this crazy idea that if we can run a full marathon, we should do a 1/2 Ironman, so we found a 1/2 Ironman race to do and we trained for it.... and let me tell you, that burned me out! LOL!! I did do the 1/2 IM and completed (didn't do so great with my overall time, but I was just happy to finish!!!), and it was after that where I decided my long race days are DONE (that was about 6 years ago), and after that, I only committed to 5K's and 10K races, and loved it.... and then I hurt my ankle, and now I just run little bits here and there.

But, my girlfriend did not get burned out from that 1/2 IM and SHE continued on to do the full IM race!! She tried very very hard to convince me to do a full Ironman, and I told her she was crazy!! So, I told her the closest I will come to an Ironman race is being a spectator, which is exactly what I have been... her cheerleading squad.

SO, I totally can relate to you.... I always had the thought, "well, if I was able to run that distance, surely I can do the next distance up".

Have fun doing the Dopey race (isn't that the 5K race and then the full marathon the next day?) Is that right? I've heard about that....

Well, it'll be for sure fun to see lots of runners AND walkers on deck 4!! I think there are a few others here that will be training for some sort of running race and will be running on deck 4, and there are some here I know who are walkers who will be walking on Deck 4! And, I'm sure there are others here who will enjoy sitting on the nice comfy lounge chairs on deck 4 watching the walkers and runners. So, I bet lots of us from this cruise meet will be on Deck 4 for one reason or another.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #1304
happy_momma
Earning My Ears

Amy Fran, that is fantastic! I have it in the back of my head that I will need to run a full at some point. I always felt that burnt-out feeling by the end of my training, so could never comprehend putting my body through a full marathon. I have to say though, that the training this time around is feeling very different. I did my 18k (I think that would be somewhere around 11 miles...) the other day, and really had to concentrate on slowing myself down and could have easily kept on running past the 18 mark. I'm feeling stronger this time around...ask me again though once I've run the race in a few weeks, and I may be singing a different tune. I could probably just keep going with the long runs, with a full in the fall...

I'll definitely buddy up for some runs with you on the ship.

Quote:

Well, "happy momma", I am a huge motivator when people need/want motivation for running or just exercise/working out in general! I am one of those who will say "great job" or "you're almost there" or "keep it up", or "you can do it!!", etc during a race to complete strangers doing the race as well. I love to run, but not one of those super serious intense runners who just are focused on getting a certain time, etc. I mean, I definitely am very competitive with myself and always want to beat my time from the previous race, and I am for sure focused on my own run, and have a strategy for each particular run, etc., BUT in the same time, I just see it as a fun event and I love to encourage people along the way!!!

So, if I see you on deck 4 or anywhere else on the ship, I'll help motivate you to run a few times on the cruise.

That sounds great, thanks!! I am the same way - I am very competitive with myself, there is always a time to beat, but love seeing other people who are just starting out who catch that running/exercising bug. I am a member of a wonderful running group, with a big range of experience and speeds...everyone supports and encourages each other, which can be so important to 'sticking with it'. The friend that I train with has only been running for a few years (I've been running for about 15 years, but only gotten into the longer distances in the last couple of years)...when she started, I was quite a bit faster than her. Now she's faster than me, and she makes me push myself, but we never compete with each other.

Ironman, wow, I am impressed - that is hardcore!!
happy_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1305
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That does sound crazy, BUT also sounds so much fun!! You should definitely do it again!!

LOL, yeah, Disney does make it so much fun

I did my first triathlon about 11-12 years ago...olympic distance, though, not IM! No desire to do that I do love the swimming part most, though, so I'd go for a team one if hard pressed

Look for my kids when on Deck 4...I keep the little one (will be 2.5) with me in the stroller, but the older one (6) loves to sit on a comfy deck chair and watch her iPad while we run by every few minutes. I do wish I had Deck 4 all of the time -- probably one of my favorite places to run/walk in the world!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: