Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #1231
ky71
Mouseketeer

Thanks Heather! I really appreciate your time in doing that for us.
TDL-2010, June 2012
HKDL-2010, Oct 2012
DCL-2013

Upcoming trips

DD dancing at DLR in July 2014

WDW & cruise in Sept 2015

Shanghai DL 2016
ky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #1232
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMom3461 View Post
Hi all,

I have confirmed with DCL Function requests that we will have one of the lounges reserved from 2:30pm to 3:30pm on embarkation day.

best wishes,
Randi
This sounds great! Thanks for organizing the meet. Its a perfect time to get to say hi to everyone and then hopefully recognize faces later in the cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Fran View Post
On our last cruise, someone made buttons for the Dis group and we love, love, loved them! Made it SO easy to recognize fellow disers and start a conversation! The buttons were nice because you could pin them to your shirt or lanyard or camera bag, whatever. Honestly, I don't like wearing bracelets of any kind but won't refuse to if that's what everyone decides on.
I love the button idea! I would definitely clip it to my lanyard and wear it proudly. My favorite is still the green rubber bracelet but the button would be a nice addition also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Hi everyone,

Some of you may have already seen this, but someone on the main Dis boards recommended these guides called "Toms Port Guides" as another resource to plan out what to do at each port (they are free and downloadable online guides). If your ports are already fully planned (like ours are), these are also useful to just familiarize yourself with the port so you know more of what to expect when we arrive. I looked it up, and there is some really useful information (and photos & detailed maps to give more of an idea of what the ports/areas will look like, etc).
I love Tom's Port Guides! I have started using them in the past few weeks putting together the little tips and directions he has for arriving in port, how to walk to train stations, etc. They are so detailed and invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
No Palo Tea left, and Brunch was very limited. Dinner was also sold out some days.
I don't think Palo tea is offered anymore- I believe they stopped it a couple years ago now unless it has changed again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Hi all!!

We just got back late last night! It was our first time on the Fantasy, and it was definitely a different experience than the classic ships for sure!

I do know after this past week, my heart truly is with the smaller classic ships! (Can't wait to be on the Magic this summer in the Med!)

BUT, we had a great time... we enjoyed all of the adult only areas!! Amazingly, they were hardly ever crowded... we were really surprised at that!! We hit the adult only lounges every evening for a drink and just some "adult only" time, and sometimes we were the only people in the lounge! And, I was in love with the deck 13 adult only area (I have already forgotten the name of that area)... with the fountain you can sit in, and the shaded and sun areas in the front of the ship. LOVED that area and it was rarely crowded.... not even on sea days! So, those areas were our highlights.

The dining rooms were beautiful!! We got lucky with the Royal Palace dining room and our table was in the "prince and princess" room, which is a small room inside the dining room. That was SO nice!! It was quiet and just a more intimate atmosphere compared to the rest of the dining room.

Ship was beautiful, so clean, of course, top notch Disney customer service.

But, for me, it was just TOO big and too busy.... just too much going on all the time, too many people (other than the adult only areas), the kids clubs were SOOOO crowded and my boys actually didn't enjoy them as much (which is so unusual because we usually have to PULL them away from the clubs, but this time, we had to ask them to go to the clubs, and they had NO problems leaving when we said it was time to leave, and toward the end of the week, they started just asking us if they could just stay in the cabin while we went out to hang out in the adult only areas rather than go to the kids clubs). But, don't get me wrong, they did like them, I just wouldn't say they LOVED them like they do the classic ships, only because they were so crowded with kids.

Also, my son who loves basketball was disappointed that the basketball court was closed at 6 PM (which is a great time to play because it's cooler then), but I understand why.... because of Palo and Remy. But, it was disappointing to him.

We LOVED the putt putt golf!!!! We played SOOO many times. Our kids could NOT get enough of that.

The Aqua Duck was awesome!!!! But, we only went on the port days (we got back to ship early when there were no to very little lines) or at night when there were no lines). Didn't even attempt the aqua duck on sea days.

Loved Zip-Lining at Puerto Rico!!!! AWESOME shore excursion for anyone who likes an adventure. Highly recommend it. A highlight of our trip!

The food on the ship..... honestly, I'd say "so-so". I actually think the food on the Magic and Wonder is better. I'm not sure why this would be the case because it's all Disney. But, I can't say I was "wow'd" with any dish in the main dining room. We did go to Palo and LOVED it as usual!! We requested a window table and went at sunset on a sea day!! The view was breathtaking!! Loved Palo.

Oh, and LOVED Meridian.... LOVED LOVE LOVED that place!!! Beautiful!! Our other favorite lounge/bar was Skyline! Also, the champagne bar... I love champagne!!

The stateroom was no different (size/layout-wise) than the classic ships, BUT I swear the walls are thinner! There was so much more noise, I felt. I could hear one set of neighbors on one side snoring at night (seriously!), and the other set of neighbors (with the connecting door) they were not "noisy" by any means, but we could just hear them talking, we could hear their kids talking, we could hear the doors shutting.... just heard a lot more noise. We kept our veranda door open a lot to just drown out the noise, which was really nice!! We love the fresh air, but at night, we kept our veranda door shut, and the noise was just high... it was hard to get to sleep sometimes. Next time we go on the Fantasy, we'll bring a white noise maker with us to drown out cabin noise from neighbors.

Overall, I still love the classic ships more, but the Fantasy was fun. But, my heart will always be with the Magic and Wonder! Much more relaxing to me...

And, we surprised our boys and went to WDW right after we got off the ship for just 2 days. The boys were soooo surprised! They had no idea. We really lucked out in that we went there in between crowded weeks... there were hardly any crowds! In 2 days (not even full days... we pretty much were in the parks a total of 12 hours) we covered 3 parks (Epcot, Hollywood, and Magic Kingdom), and we went on 28 rides! With the exception of a few of the REALLY popular rides, most lines were only 10-15 minutes long, and we got fast passes to the popular rides with longer waits. It was awesome!

We stayed at the Beach Club, so it was a great location to get to parks fast.

Well, that is a summary...

Now, next trip! Our Med cruise/Europe!! SO excited!

Oh, and my parents were able to get the shore excursions they wanted this past weekend (they are silver), and they were able to book Palo! I'm relieved!

Now, I'll have to catch up on all the posts from the past week here.
Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed your trip on the Fantasy! That is funny you experienced the adult areas uncrowded. I think it varies tremendously from one cruise to the next. As I said my Fantasy cruise was very crowded with adults on pool deck, sun deck and the nightlife, but my 2 Dream cruises were lacking in adults. But either way, I agree, the adult areas on the new ships are stunning. The bars theming are so cool, its hard to fit them all in! Meridian is wonderful too for the views and my parents and I appreciated the cigar side. I do prefer the adult pool area on the classics though since they are larger and more open.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1233
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
I love the button idea! I would definitely clip it to my lanyard and wear it proudly. My favorite is still the green rubber bracelet but the button would be a nice addition also.

Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed your trip on the Fantasy! That is funny you experienced the adult areas uncrowded. I think it varies tremendously from one cruise to the next. As I said my Fantasy cruise was very crowded with adults on pool deck, sun deck and the nightlife, but my 2 Dream cruises were lacking in adults. But either way, I agree, the adult areas on the new ships are stunning. The bars theming are so cool, its hard to fit them all in! Meridian is wonderful too for the views and my parents and I appreciated the cigar side. I do prefer the adult pool area on the classics though since they are larger and more open.

Buttons would for sure work, even for those who don't use the lanyards... I can pin a button to my shoulder bag strap or our day pack. I can't guarantee I will wear a rubber bracelet. I don't even wear a watch. BUT, I think we should do what makes the most sense with the majority. I'm super easy going and flexible, so I'm happy with whatever the majority wants.

Yes, we were super surprised the adult areas were so empty!! I agree, it just depends on the week. We talked with a cast member in one of the adult only lounges and asked if this was normal for the adult only areas to be so empty, and they said the exact same thing as you.... it just depends on the week. Some weeks they are super crowded and other weeks they are empty. It must be on this cruise, the adults just enjoyed being in the family areas more because the family pools were CRAZY crowded on the sea days (didn't even appeal to our kids or us to be in the pools or those areas on sea days).

Regardless, we lucked out with the adult only areas. We are booked on the Fantasy for the exact same week next year.... it will be interesting to see if we have the same experience.

Speaking of kids, for those who have been on the Med cruise before with Disney, do these cruises tend to be more adults and less kids, or do you find there are a lot of kids on these cruises? Since it's summer, I would guess there will be a lot of kids, but on the flip side, given it's so port intensive (ie, LONG days) I am wondering if this cruise has less kids? Just curious. I'm thinking more of the kids clubs and wondering how crowded they may be on our Med cruise.

I can't believe 3 months from now we'll all be ON the Magic in the Med!!! Wow!!!
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #1234
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
I don't think Palo tea is offered anymore- I believe they stopped it a couple years ago now unless it has changed again.
Must be more recent than that -- we definitely had tea in Alaska last summer (2012, on the Wonder).
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #1235
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears

We were on the June 18, 2011 Med cruise and there appeared to be the same number of kids as there were on our other cruises. I think the only difference may be that the July and August cruises may have more European families since they don't get out of school as early as American children.

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #1236
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky71 View Post
Thanks Heather! I really appreciate your time in doing that for us.
No problem. We were all relegated to the last check in day once. I understand how hard it is not knowing what is available and what's not.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #1237
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Fish Extenders and Secret Mickey

Thank you everyone for your responses and input on the FE and SM.

I have just closed off the sign up sheet for the FE on page 1, post #4. At the moment we have exactly 25 people signed up for the FE so I am going to limit the group to that. If we get a rush of more people interested I can make a second group.

If anyone is still interested in signing up for the Secret Mickeys please let me know, I can still take names for this till April 24th and I will let everyone know their names the weekend after.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #1238
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans

Disboard ID

If you are a member of the facebook group, and have an opinion about what you prefer for an ID such as a wristband, button, lanyard trinket etc, please vote on the facebook page poll.
thanks all,
Randi
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #1239
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Captain on the Magic for the Med?

Does anyone know who the captain will be for the Med cruise, or if there is a way to find out? I'm only curious.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #1240
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans

another website

Found a site with some video blogs and navigators from a 2010 Magic in the Med fyi...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...iterranean.htm
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #1241
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

I read my check in summary this morning and Disney has switched us to main dinner sitting. My initial reservation says late seating. While I was initially mad, I see at only one stop is all aboard later than 6:30.

Does anybody know what time main seating is?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #1242
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
I read my check in summary this morning and Disney has switched us to main dinner sitting. My initial reservation says late seating. While I was initially mad, I see at only one stop is all aboard later than 6:30.

Main seating is 5:45, but on a late port, dinner is generally held. No issue for you to board layer and still eat in the MDR.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #1243
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMom3461 View Post
Found a site with some video blogs and navigators from a 2010 Magic in the Med fyi...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...iterranean.htm

Thanks for posting these!! Fun to look through!! I'm getting so excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post

That is so crazy because the SAME thing happened to us!! We had late dining, but Disney switched us to main dining.... I emailed our TA about it because I was not very happy since we figured early dining would be too hard to get to. But, our TA convinced me that early dining will actually be good and will work well. Early dining starts at 5:45 PM. She (our TA) went on a Med cruise in 2010, and she had early dining. She said for the ports with the long days, they servers were really good about having no problem with early dining guests coming late. She said the servers would just ask the day before what their plans were for the next day at port, and if they had an excursion where they didn't get back on the ship until after early dining started the servers told them to just come to dinner anytime after they get back on the ship.

But, then I realized that for our family, we only have two really long days (Rome & Ephesus), and on these days, we'll either just skip the MDR all together and just do room service so we can just relax, or we'll still go to the MDR but late.

So, for all these reasons, I chose to not have our TA contact Disney to get our dining switched back to late dining. Also, late dining is 8:45 PM, and now that we have all of our excursions planned, we have a lot of early morning excursions where we have to up and getting ready in our cabin before 7 AM, so having kids, we realized Disney switching us to main dining may have been a good thing overall because with late dining, we wouldn't even get back to our cabin until 10 PM, and probably not even in bed until 11 PM, and for our kids, that may not be enough sleep for our long days (if they have to get up at 6:15 or 6:30 AM). SO, for this reason, it turns out main dining works well for us now... we have the ability to go to bed early for the days we have to get up really early.

I do wonder why Disney did move some people.... must be late dining was the most popular and they over booked late dining. Who knows, but for us, after thinking it through, the switch ended up being a good thing for our family.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #1244
happy_momma
Earning My Ears

We only booked in January, and Late Dining was all that was available, so we were wait-listed for Main Dining. We got switched to Main Dining last week. Good for us, because I can't imagine my 6-year-old being all that chipper for late dining. :-)
happy_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #1245
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_momma View Post
We only booked in January, and Late Dining was all that was available, so we were wait-listed for Main Dining. We got switched to Main Dining last week. Good for us, because I can't imagine my 6-year-old being all that chipper for late dining. :-)
Well, I guess my theory that late dining was over-booked is wrong....

Glad you got early dining!!!

I really am glad now they switched us to early dining. Honestly, when we booked late dining 1 1/2 years ago when we booked this cruise, what we'd do at each port wasn't even on my radar yet, but I just knew all the boarding times at most ports was after early dining started, which is why I booked late dining originally. We didn't plan out each port until about a month ago, and so now knowing we have early dining, it just works a lot better since we have so many early mornings (also, just in general, I prefer early dining... we've had late dining before, and I don't like going to bed with a totally full stomach, so at least early dining allows the food to settle before we go to bed).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: