Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1111
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Considering the bomb right by the Acropolis today, I'd hire a driver or take a tour. There are still no guarantees, but they would certainly know the sentiment of the day and which areas to avoid and what to look out for. One of the reasons why we do DCL excursions. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
Bomb by the Acropolis? I've been too busy today to watch/read any news. What is the story?

We're booking w/ Disney for Athens, so that is good. .
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #1112
tajz90
Mama D

There was a bomb set off today very close, the closet one yet to the Acropolis according to the news.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1113
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Mykonos

Hi All,

After doing a lot of thinking and research for Mykonos, our family (just DH and kids and I, not my parents) were originally planning to do the Elia Beach excursion with Disney, as we really want to have a relaxing beach day at some point on the cruise, so this will be the perfect stop for that.

But, I discovered recently that we can book a day pass on our own at the Saint John Mykonos resort for 30 Euros per person (comes out to about $38 USD), this price does not include lunch/food, but includes full access to pool, beach, chairs, towels, gym and showers. Seems like a great deal (cheaper than the Disney excursion) and probably less crowded than Elia beach, I'm guessing. Also better variety since we'd have both the pool and the ocean/beach, plus a hotel lobby to go into if we get hot, or just need a break from the sun. . The kids will enjoy playing in the pool and the beach (the beach looks really small, but that is OK).

I emailed the hotel, and they sent me a form to book the day pass, and children are for sure welcome at this resort.

http://www.saintjohn.gr/

Is anyone else doing this? Just curious. They will pick you up at the port and drop you back off (at the time you request, which is also nice). The transfer to and from the resort is also included in the 30 Euros per person price.

So, this is our new plan for Mykonos. I'm excited!!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #1114
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Hi everyone! I'm Gold, so I'm pretty sure I can book things at 12:01 AM on March 30. Anyone else staying up late tonight????

I'm about to start thinking about our FE gifts . . .

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #1115
bellelinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Hi All,

After doing a lot of thinking and research for Mykonos, our family (just DH and kids and I, not my parents) were originally planning to do the Elia Beach excursion with Disney, as we really want to have a relaxing beach day at some point on the cruise, so this will be the perfect stop for that.

But, I discovered recently that we can book a day pass on our own at the Saint John Mykonos resort for 30 Euros per person (comes out to about $38 USD), this price does not include lunch/food, but includes full access to pool, beach, chairs, towels, gym and showers. Seems like a great deal (cheaper than the Disney excursion) and probably less crowded than Elia beach, I'm guessing. Also better variety since we'd have both the pool and the ocean/beach, plus a hotel lobby to go into if we get hot, or just need a break from the sun. . The kids will enjoy playing in the pool and the beach (the beach looks really small, but that is OK).

I emailed the hotel, and they sent me a form to book the day pass, and children are for sure welcome at this resort.

Is anyone else doing this? Just curious. They will pick you up at the port and drop you back off (at the time you request, which is also nice). The transfer to and from the resort is also included in the 30 Euros per person price.

I think we are doing this, too

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #1116
smores
DIS Veteran

is anyone going to try to catch a glimpse of the tour de france while we are in villefranche? i am trying to find a private driver to take us there...i know it will be a short glimpse....it appears to be about a 3.5 hour drive from the port to the end point in mont ventoux....so just hope we can see some of the scenery and a few cyclists....then turn around and come back....anybody know any private drivers in villefranche????

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #1117
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelinus View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Gold, so I'm pretty sure I can book things at 12:01 AM on March 30. Anyone else staying up late tonight????

We are gold!! We are booking tonight! But, since we are on the West Coast, we are booking at 9:000PM (that is 12:00AM East Coast time). So, we don't have to stay up as late. I'm just hoping that the excursions we are planning to book that my parents also want to book are still open when Silvers can book because my parents are silver. Fingers Crossed!

Quote:
I think we are doing this, too
Oh fun! It sounds like a great alternative to the beach (and more options for restaurants/food, too).
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #1118
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
....anybody know any private drivers in villefranche????
Smores: Last time we were stopped in Villefranche we used Riviera Premium Tours. They were fabulous. http://www.rivierapremiumtour.com/ They were really easy to deal with, added extra time without charge when one of our pre-scheduled bookings ran late, and mailed back to Canada (without charge) my son's glasses after he left them in the van when we met back up with the Magic.

Gold bookers: Good luck to everyone getting everything they want. Let us know if any of the excursions or Palo days sell out....

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1119
bellelinus

Quote:
We are gold!! We are booking tonight! But, since we are on the West Coast, we are booking at 9:000PM (that is 12:00AM East Coast time). So, we don't have to stay up as late. I'm just hoping that the excursions we are planning to book that my parents also want to book are still open when Silvers can book because my parents are silver. Fingers Crossed!

Oh fun! It sounds like a great alternative to the beach (and more options for restaurants/food, too).
Lucky West Coasters! I was up at 5 AM this morning to take my youngest daughter for a tonsillectomy this morning (!) and now I am debating going to bed early and setting an alarm for 11:50 PM or just staying up . . .

Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #1120
bellelinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
Smores: Last time we were stopped in Villefranche we used Riviera Premium Tours. They were fabulous. http://www.rivierapremiumtour.com/ They were really easy to deal with, added extra time without charge when one of our pre-scheduled bookings ran late, and mailed back to Canada (without charge) my son's glasses after he left them in the van when we met back up with the Magic.

Gold bookers: Good luck to everyone getting everything they want. Let us know if any of the excursions or Palo days sell out....
I'm only booking Palo tonight but I will report on what is still open . . .

Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #1121
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All,

Kathy,

We booked this from a tip from another DISer on here, Heather I think it was? Anyway yes it was super easy to arrange via email--they can be a bit slow at times- sometimes they respond to you the next day, sometimes its like a week later- that laid back beach mentality I guess! But nevertheless, I was able to complete my form and send it back. I also asked if I could Skype call to give a CC number as I didn't want to send it unsecure over email- he said I could just pay upon arrival and I didnt need to give a CC number even though it asks for it on the form, which was good. So I just wrote on there 'as per email conversation, will provide CC number on arrival'. They confirmed receipt so I guess all is good! They also will take you back to Mykonos a little early so you have time to explore town, which we want to do. We figure on heading back around 2:00 PM to have a late local lunch and some shopping in town. Hopefully we'll all be on the same transportation from the ship to the resort! They told me they'll email us with meeting point details a few days prior- I told them that was fine as we plan on checking email via a wifi hotspot a few days prior while in Athens.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #1122
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lucky West Coasters! I was up at 5 AM this morning to take my youngest daughter for a tonsillectomy this morning (!) and now I am debating going to bed early and setting an alarm for 11:50 PM or just staying up . . .
Well, I think being able to book shore excursions starting at 9PM is the only benefit West coasters have when cruising with Disney. It is so expensive to fly to the east coast for a Caribbean cruise... BUT that won't ever stop us from cruising with Disney! (Although, it was nice the short time the Wonder was based in LA for Mexico cruises. We took advantage of that).... oh, and I won't cruise up to Alaska (even though the Wonder is only 3 hours from us in the summer up in Vancouver, and one summer was based here in Seattle!!!)... I grew up in Alaska, so I have zero desire to cruise where I grew up, and DH and kids have been up there enough that they feel the same. Spent enough time up in Alaska... I'd rather spend my time in warm places now.

Hope your daughter's tonsillectomy went well!! Hopefully she will get lots of ice cream and popsicles!

Well, if I were you, I'd just stay up till mid-night... you don't want to miss it by sleeping through your alarm if you set it for 11:50. Have fun booking!

I can also tell any silver people what is still available once the gold window is open tonight, if you ask. We are only booking Palo, and 2 excursions... so not a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Kathy,

We booked this from a tip from another DISer on here, Heather I think it was? Anyway yes it was super easy to arrange via email--they can be a bit slow at times- sometimes they respond to you the next day, sometimes its like a week later- that laid back beach mentality I guess! But nevertheless, I was able to complete my form and send it back. I also asked if I could Skype call to give a CC number as I didn't want to send it unsecure over email- he said I could just pay upon arrival and I didnt need to give a CC number even though it asks for it on the form, which was good. So I just wrote on there 'as per email conversation, will provide CC number on arrival'. They confirmed receipt so I guess all is good! They also will take you back to Mykonos a little early so you have time to explore town, which we want to do. We figure on heading back around 2:00 PM to have a late local lunch and some shopping in town. Hopefully we'll all be on the same transportation from the ship to the resort! They told me they'll email us with meeting point details a few days prior- I told them that was fine as we plan on checking email via a wifi hotspot a few days prior while in Athens.
Thanks for all this info!! And, thanks for telling me about the CC. I was wondering if there was a more secure way to send the CC info, especially since it's just for them to have on file to charge in case you are a no-show. I will email them and ask them if I can just give them my number when I arrive.

Yah, we might very likely be on the same transportation. I can't imagine they will be just going back and forth all morning.... we were also thinking of staying until 2 PM (I'm sure we'll be sunned out by then). We were thinking of having them pick us up at about 9 AM.... but I was reading some reviews on Trip Advisor, and one person who did a day pass got to the resort at 10 AM and all the chairs were taken up (mostly just with people's stuff the chairs reserving the chairs), so they recommended getting there early to get a chair.

We are really active, so we aren't the kind of people to just "sit" and sunbathe for a long period of time.. so if we don't get a chair, it's not a huge deal... we'll be sitting on the side of the pool, in the pool, at the beach, and just going back and forth, I'm sure.

It'll be fun to see familiar faces at the resort!! I'm getting excited!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #1123
smores
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post

thank you so much Newfoundland Sailor....i emailed them to see if we can arrange a trip to catch a glimpse!

[/url]
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #1124
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:

Quote:

We'll be up and booking as well!!!!

Quote:
Julie, hugs and hope she feels better very soon.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #1125
bellelinus

OK, Palo booked and all checked in! There seemed to be plenty of Palo availability, for brunch and dinner. Also, for port arrival time, all times were open. Good luck to everyone Gold booking now, and EXTRA good luck (but hopefully you won't need it) for those booking later as Silver.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: