Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #721
DisneyManFamily4
Mouseketeer

How do we know if we need visas for any of our ports/flights into Barcelona? If we have American passports is that enough?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #722
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyManFamily4 View Post
How do we know if we need visas for any of our ports/flights into Barcelona? If we have American passports is that enough?
Short answer - American passports are enough; no visas required. You can check the US State Department website. Apparently in Turkey you are required to have a tourist's visa that you can purchase at the point of entry. I would imagine DCL likely takes care of this and you may just have to go through passport control there, but I'm not sure. You'll show your passport once when entering Spain and that's it. There's no passport control at any of the other European ports. If Turkey does require you to go through passport control, DCL will let us know on the cruise.

ABD China Jun 2014
Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015

Last edited by Cousin Orville; 01-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #723
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyManFamily4 View Post

Foreigners who arrive in Turkey by cruise liner and sleep on the ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities as soon as you set foot ashore.

When we flew into Turkey we needed to purchase the visa at the airport right after getting off the plane and before going thru customs. They did not really care, just took your money, stamped the passport and sent you on your way.

When we visited St. Petersburg with DCL they were not very helpful with the visa information. Basically just stated that you MAY need to obtain one, there are too many different scenarios for them to deal with. On one of our sea days there were some people freaking out at the excursion desk because they had not obtained visas before hand and could not find an excursion to go on with DCL (where they could help or get around the visa requirement) since they were a very large group. Don't know what nationality they were.

Anyway, from what I can tell an American will be fine in all our ports.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #724
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

As an aside, I remember that madness on the Baltic. We were on the 7/18/10 Baltic. I remember since we had a private guide, they handled the Visa, but if you didn't have a guide and you weren't booked on a DCL excursion, you were in trouble.

ABD China Jun 2014
Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #725
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

We have booked private transport/guides for Rome, Athens, and Turkey. We are doing Nice/Monaco, La Spezia (Cinque Terre), Mykonos, Malta, and Barcelona on our own. The private tours were pricey, especially Rome, but we are going to get to see/do so much more than we could on our own. I have been to Rome before for study abroad so I know how far apart everything is. For just 1 day there I know it will be well worth having our transportation and guide so we can maximize every minute of the short day and not waste any time with waiting in lines or travel logistics. For Athens and Turkey since neither of us have been, and to even get to the city/sites transport is an issue, we thought the private tours would be best there also. All 3 tours we booked are very highly rated on trip advisor so I'm confident it will be good use of our money.

Thanks to Heather, we are also booked on the unique Playmobil Factory tour in Malta, which sounds so cool. Loving all the tips and tidbits we share on here!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #726
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
As an aside, I remember that madness on the Baltic. We were on the 7/18/10 Baltic. I remember since we had a private guide, they handled the Visa, but if you didn't have a guide and you weren't booked on a DCL excursion, you were in trouble.

Hey, we were on the same Baltic cruise! I really loved that trip and was kinda hoping that would be going back to the Baltic again this year.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #727
Bsb1012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Hey, we were on the same Baltic cruise! I really loved that trip and was kinda hoping that would be going back to the Baltic again this year.
I was on this cruise as well!!! How can you forget 102 degrees in St. Petersburg!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #728
slg
DIS Veteran

I was on the July 6 cruise and it was cooking on that one too ! The train ride b ack from Berlin was the hottest I've ever been in my life!

But it was an awesome cruise and I can't wait for the med! If I could handle the baltic in 100+ weather, I can handle anything!
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #729
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsb1012 View Post
I was on this cruise as well!!! How can you forget 102 degrees in St. Petersburg!
We were also on that cruise!! We still talk about what a great time we had!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #730
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Hi everyone! Joining the roll call -

bellelinus (Julie)
traveling with daughters Elizabeth (21), Katherine (18) and Meredith (16)
from New York City
first seating
currently a cat 9 GTY - will post when I get a cabin assignment
definitely will do the FE!

Dis veterans, but haven't sailed for a while due to the competing schedules of my increasingly grown daughters! This will be our 8th cruise, and have done Med in 2007, transAtlantic also in 2007, and Panama canal in 2008, among others. I sailed with MrsG in 2007! I will post my tentative plans for this cruise in a separate post.

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #731
bellelinus

Will do all the ports on our own. We've been to Europe lots of times and are comfortable figuring out how to get around without a guide/excursion.

Villefranche - probably train to Nice (did train to Monaco last time)
LaSpezia - train to Cinque Terre (did private tour to Pisa/Florence last time)
Rome - train to city, don't need to rush around doing Vatican, Colosseum, since we did it last time
Athens - will take train to city, see Acropolis, and hang around Plaka. My middle daughter has been part of a school exchange there twice and stayed in Plaka so she knows the area well.
Kusadasi - still researching
Mykonos - still researching, but looking at a beach day
Malta - still researching

Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #732
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelinus View Post

bellelinus (Julie)
from New York City
first seating

Dis veterans, but haven't sailed for a while due to the competing schedules of my increasingly grown daughters! This will be our 8th cruise, and have done Med in 2007, transAtlantic also in 2007, and Panama canal in 2008, among others. I sailed with MrsG in 2007! I will post my tentative plans for this cruise in a separate post.
Welcome Aboard, Julie & Girls!!! Can't wait to cruise with you again!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #733
bellelinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Welcome Aboard, Julie & Girls!!! Can't wait to cruise with you again!
Let's do a wine tasting together, Maryann!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #734
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelinus View Post

bellelinus (Julie)
from New York City
first seating

Welcome Aboard! You have been added to the Roll Call!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #735
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

I am in. According to Disney just booked the last two suites on the boat.

Me(Sean), 46 Wife (Crystal) 35, Daughter (Daytona) 11, Son (Geoffrey) 8 and Mother (Shelagh) 72 in suites 2098 and 2558.
JimmyJackJunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: