Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #676
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Aw, Beth, that's such a bummer! We'll miss you and REALLY appreciate your excellent coordination of the who's-who on this thread.
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #677
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovestoSail View Post
What did you do in 2011, that you would recommend for someone this year ?
Okay, dug up our old itinerary at last. I don't know if any of these are happening/not happening, nor did I cross reference for ports that we're visiting this time around, but hopefully it helps...or at least gets folks even more excited to plan! All of our excursions in the Med 2011 were through DCL -- it was our first cruise ever, we had our two kids with us (including a then-6-month-old!), and we wanted no drama. We were happy overall, and we've done all DCL excursions ever since, except for our whale watch in Alaska, for which we really wanted a private charter. But I digress...

Palermo: A Day on the Farm -- definitely worth doing, IMHO. Wonderful food, unexpected 6 course lunch, and the fresh cheese we helped make was delicious! We didn't know what to expect for this excursion, so this turned out to be a lovely surprise. The "farm" was an Italian villa set up in the hills with gorgeous views and interesting architecture.

Naples: The Hidden Treasures of Herculaneum -- WAY cooler than the reports from folks who went all the way to Pompeii, in our opinion. It was much closer to the port, and the city was really well preserved. The tour was fascinating, and our guide was great.

Rome: Jumping Back into Eternal Rome -- every single person on the ship (it seemed) was going on one of the zillion Rome options DCL offered that day. Ours hit some highlights (St Peter's, the Coliseum) and had a mediocre lunch. The guide was pretty bad, and the little wireless earphones that they handed out for this tour didn't work well because our guide didn't care about speaking into the mic. The DCL cast members along with our group were very helpful and sympathetic, but it still fell on the "won't do again" list. We haven't decided what we are doing for Rome this coming summer. It might be our one "do on our own" gamble, or maybe we'll book a private tour.

We didn't leave the ship in La Spezia (went to the spa instead), and in Corsica, we just wandered around on our own and went to a lovely beach -- much better than getting bussed to a beach and having to pay extra.

Villefranche (Nice): Nice and Eze with Wine and Cheese -- this was very cool. The wine tasting and tour in Nice were both great fun (though the tour was a bit too short for our taste), and Eze was an interesting old fortified city (though the tour here and self-exploration time was too long in our opinion). The wine at the tasting was actually pretty good, and the winemaker who spoke with us was hilarious.
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #678
DisneyManFamily4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
You can't see the excursions on your reservation, that's where you go when you are paid in full and in the window to book them. To just browse them ahead of time, you don't even have to log in. Just go to the main page and then under 'cruises & destinations' choose 'port adventures.'
Thank you! I will check them out now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
Hello Eastern Med Mouseketeers:

I'm thoroughly bummed to report the bleak news that my family has decided that we just can't swing going to the Med this summer. Between some family commitments and the costly airfare and excursions, it just isn't in the cards. Since I started this meet thread, I'll still stay on with all of you to add new cruisers to the Roll Call on page one so that it remains updated for everyone's viewing. Enjoy using the images we came up with for the cruise. Feel free to let me know if there are other postings on page one that I can update too as it was so much fun getting all of that compiled from everyone's tips and suggestions.

Promise me that you'll all report back on your experiences as my family hopes to go in another year or so, that is, if it is offered by DCL! I feel like I know some of you fairly well already, so do keep in touch! Have a great cruise!

Beth
Sorry to see you go. Maybe our paths will cross on a future cruise????
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #679
LovestoSail
Earning My Ears

Thank You calihannah very much for looking up your previous excursions. This is helpful. We have been happy and disappointed with excursions, so we try to do both. We like to wander sometimes and find just as rewarding of things. I've been to the main cities before (when I was much younger.. backpacking after college and had plenty of time to explore) I'm trying to figure out what will be most rewarding for my family to see in a short stint. (I've tried to get them to consider back packing through Europe with me some day, but there is this thing called work, with limited vacation time now. hahahahaha.. Thank you again for looking up your past experiences.

Be well and Happy new year!

April 2000 - WDW & Disney Magic - WDW Land/Sea
July 2002 - Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean
November 2003 - Disney Magic - Western Caribbean
July 2010 - Disney Magic; Baltic Cruise
July 2011 - Disney Wonder; Alaska
April 2012 - WDW
September 2012 - Disney Magic; New York -> Halifax, NS, St. John, NB
July 2013 - Disney Magic - 12-Night Mediterranean with Greece
LovestoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #680
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
Aw, Beth, that's such a bummer! We'll miss you and REALLY appreciate your excellent coordination of the who's-who on this thread.
Ahh. Thanks for the kind words! I certainly don't mind staying around to keep the Roll Call and stuff going on. It is my small way of still going on the cruise with all of you! I'm so glad that this meet thread has been so active. It will be a great cruise for all of you, of that I have no doubt!

Happy soon to be New Years to everyone out that in Eastern Caribbean Mouseketeerland!

Beth

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #681
cruisingbelltower
Earning My Ears

Happy New Year everyone!!!
cruisingbelltower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #682
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm thoroughly bummed to report the bleak news that my family has decided that we just can't swing going to the Med this summer.
I am totally bummed too...you have done such a great job of organizing us! You will be missed. Thanks for offering to keep us going - that is very cool of you.

All I can say is thank goodness I have locked into flights - I can't cancel now :-) Or at least that's what I tell my husband. Although I have to laugh, cause our countdown is until the "paid in full" date not the start of our cruise - that will happen after March.

I wish you guys luck and I hope that you get to cruise soon.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #683
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In 2011 we did a mixture of DCL and on our own. Originally I was planning to do all DCL but in the end it didn't work out that way once I started booking online.

Villefranche - We hired a private car and saw Eze & Monaco. There were 6 of us (including a 2 year old) so it worked out cheaper than going throuch DCL. Also had scheduled to drive a Ferrari - but they ended up being over an hour behind schedule so we cancelled.

La Spezia - We did Pisa (including Climbing the Tower) on our own. My 10-year old son wanted to climb the tower but with DCL you couldn't go on the climb the tower tour without climbing so it would have left the 2 year old and one adult back on the ship. It was really easy to do ourselves - I think we are going that route again this time. Although I really want to do Cinque Terre.

Rome - We ended up doing this on our own and taking a British Airways walking tour in the afternoon. We wanted a DCL tour but the three we were interested in were all sold out. The size of the Port in Citavecchia and the confusion getting back to the ship with so many cruises boarding at the same time I personally would do a DCL tour for this Port. My parents and the baby went to the Olive Gardens with DCL and loved it - not much history but a very relaxing afternoon and the two-year old had a blast running around the orchard.

Naples - The boys did Climbing Mount Vesuvius (with 1/2 day in Pompeii) with DCL and loved it. Their favourite excursion by far. The girls did the Tour of Naples - the guide was passionate about his town and the church and museum was nice - nothing earth shattering. There was lots of time to enjoy the pizza lunch where they let all the kids make pizza (which was not mentioned in the write-up and was a nice touch). There was also lots of shopping time in the old section of Naples.

Palermo - Transportation Strike so the Captain opted to go to Barcelona a day early

Barcelona - We decided totake the the DCL tour to the aquarium and Guell Park. We originally thought we would leave the tour at the aquarium and skip Guell Park but we were glad we didn't in the end. The aquarium was nice - not very big - probably about 20 large tanks with different species. Guell Park was amazing and the guide was so knowledgable that we learned alot and it made the experience. We snuck off to a playground nearby during the sparetime at the end - which the boys enjoyed as it was in the shade of the trees.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #684
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
All I can say is thank goodness I have locked into flights - I can't cancel now :-) Or at least that's what I tell my husband.
Didn't know the DH is on Disboards now too!!!! He just called me up and quoted me back my post

Hello CruisinBellTower : You finally signed up to see what I spend all my timing checking on.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #685
DisneyManFamily4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
Didn't know the DH is on Disboards now too!!!! He just called me up and quoted me back my post

Hello CruisinBellTower : You finally signed up to see what I spend all my timing checking on.
That is hilarious !!
I hope all the husbands don't start lurking on the boards, don't want mine getting any ideas!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #686
disneycrazy2004
too far away from Disney....

Another Canadian here - we are all the way from PEI I am just starting to plan excursions...Anyone has any ideas about Greece and Turkey? Can't seem to find anything about that! Happy New Year
Disney World-first trip-off site 2004 All Star Music-September,2007 Disney Magic-March,2008 All Star Sports-September,2008 Pop Century-August,2009 All Star Movies-December,2009 Pop Century-August,2010 All Star Music-August,2011 Caribbean Beach Resort-August,2011 Disney Magic-March,2012 Port Orleans-Riverside-August,2012 Disney Magic-Summer2013-B2B Med Cruise DVC Saratoga Springs Resort-May,2014 Old Key West-August,2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge-August,2014
disneycrazy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #687
DionysiusP
Earning My Ears

DC2004

Was wondering about the same... No Greece or Turkey tours... However, GREAT info listed in post #4, page 1 ... Lotsa good reading, especially during long winter nights in PEI or cold (no golf) days in SATX.

HH&GB

Dennis
DionysiusP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #688
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans

Quote:

I'm thoroughly bummed to report the bleak news that my family has decided that we just can't swing going to the Med this summer. Between some family commitments and the costly airfare and excursions, it just isn't in the cards. Since I started this meet thread, I'll still stay on with all of you to add new cruisers to the Roll Call on page one so that it remains updated for everyone's viewing. Enjoy using the images we came up with for the cruise. Feel free to let me know if there are other postings on page one that I can update too as it was so much fun getting all of that compiled from everyone's tips and suggestions.

Promise me that you'll all report back on your experiences as my family hopes to go in another year or so, that is, if it is offered by DCL! I feel like I know some of you fairly well already, so do keep in touch! Have a great cruise!

Beth
Sorry you wont be joining us Beth - thank you for all you've done to get us organized. Please let me know if there's anything you need me to take over for you.
Randi
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #689
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans

Quote:
In 2011, we did the following:

Barcelona - walked around on our own - stayed overnight at Le Meridien
Villefranche, France - on our own - the area right around the port was nice and very interesting
La Spezia, Italy - private tour with Arianna and Friends including pizza making class with a chef
Civitavecchia, Italy (Rome) - private tour with Rome in Limo
Naples, Italy (not on this cruise) - private tour including Pompeii

The planning is half the fun. I'll post also what I've got arranged for this cruise later.
Randi
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #690
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Mykonos

I finally have Malta completely booked and organized - it took me a while to get the Playmobil factory tour tickets - but I can now say it is complete.

I am working on Mykonos. I wish DCL had their excursions listed for Greece already. I think that we are going to wander the town...maybe rent some ATV's, my parents might go over to Delos.

I am interested to see what Disney does about the shuttle from the Port to the town. Since the new Cruise Ship Port was opened it looks like most cruise lines are charging $10 each for the shuttle into Mykonos. For us that would by $100.

Hopefully we will see Greece (and Turkey) soon for excursions. Their website says 120 days before the first sailing which would take us to Feb?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: