Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #616
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

The Med can get pretty hot in the summer. I think most travelers expect that or want that and everyone generally has a great summer vacation. But if heat is not your friend the fall time can be a much more pleasant time of yr to visit (unfortunately just not with DCL). Having said that you can make things a bit easier by taking tours with a/c motor coach or better yet private guides. Decreasing your walking and maximizing your a/c time is helpful. And Disney will sometimes hand out cool damp towels when walking back on board. Little touches. But make no mistake it can get hot. FWIW, last yr I thought our days in Italy were hotter than Malta, but there are more crowds in Rome, Cinque Terre than Malta too so that could have contributed.

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #617
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Yes, it will be hot and 100 degrees is likely in a few of the locations on our itinerary. I always think it is more of a dry heat if that helps. The coaches for excursions do have air conditioning, so that helps. (Except that our coach on the med cruise last year at the Palermo stop broke down and we rode most of the way back to the ship without air conditioning!)
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #618
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone, for the replies on the temps in the Med. Pretty much what I thought, to expect HOT, but I didn't expect to see that some of you had some experiences before where it was cool in the summer (maybe that is not the norm). Well, as well all know, nobody can predict weather, and when you might think it's going to be scorching hot, it will be cool and rainy, or when you think it's going to be cool and rainy, it'll be scortching hot. haha! Who knows.... it might be very pleasant temps there in July next year! The weather is so weird around the whole world that really, anything could happen, weather-wise. But, we will plan for HEAT, though (and bring a jacket or a few things for cooler temps, too, just in case).

It is good to know that it's a dry heat! Dry heat, I think, is so much easier to be in than humidity. Hopefully that will be a convincing factor for my parents to not cancel.

Well, we are super excited.... regardless of the temperatures or weather. I just hope my parents can get past their "uncertainty" about the heat and decide to still go on the cruise. I have told them they can always just stay on the ship if it's just too hot (of course, I think they are thinking why go all the way to the Med if you're going to just stay on the ship), but at least it's an option.

If they do end up deciding to cancel, I'll let you all know.... they have a veranda room, so I'm sure someone who is wanting to get on this cruise will snatch that room up fast. HOPEFULLY, though, that won't happen and they will go! Fingers crossed!
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #619
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NejTheLion View Post
On the London/Paris trip, we were supposedly staying at the Renaissance Chancery Court. By the time our trip came around, ownership had transferred away from Marriott. Same experience in Paris - the Hilton Arc de Triomphe was no longer a Hilton.

We had excellent experiences at both hotels and had no concern with them no longer being brands we knew. So, while that doesn't necessarily speak to this hotel, all I can say is it shouldn't immediately cause concern.
Jen - Thanks so much for posting this!! We are going to Paris in December for our anniversary and were booked on points (for 2 rooms) into the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. Needless to say we are not anymore and while they claim to have emailed DH he never got an email! We booked this months ago and haven't really looked at it since although it was time to call and start dealing with the concierge on some stuff. We got moved to another Hilton...unfortunately its in the Business District and not as charming or convienent but they are honoring our points even though they don't have any points rooms available.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #620
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

I studied abroad in Rome for most of June and July in 2006. It was in the upper 90s to over 100 every single day of my term. It was ungodly. You literally started dripping in sweat as soon as you stepped out the door in the morning. I would describe it not nearly as humid as NJ where I'm from but also not nearly as dry and amazing as Arizona which I love. Being in the city made it even more uncomfortable. BUT, having said all that, I would never take back that amazing experience in Europe because of the heat. It could have been a lot more comfortable, but I am someone who will take heat any day over cold (I remote start my car in both the morning and evening going to/from work because I can barely stand running to the car in the cold let alone getting into a cold vehicle!). Plus, as with my study abroad, with DCL, we dont have a choice on the time of year, so even though its the most crowded, hot, expensive time to travel to Europe, being on DCL is so worth it for me because I know we wont be satisfied on any other line. I think your parents will do just fine. Plenty of A/C on board and on transportation and the sites they will go to will be so awe inspiring the heat factor will pale in comparison.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #621
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu View Post
Jen - Thanks so much for posting this!! We are going to Paris in December for our anniversary and were booked on points (for 2 rooms) into the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. Needless to say we are not anymore and while they claim to have emailed DH he never got an email! We booked this months ago and haven't really looked at it since although it was time to call and start dealing with the concierge on some stuff. We got moved to another Hilton...unfortunately its in the Business District and not as charming or convienent but they are honoring our points even though they don't have any points rooms available.
Well, that's the least they can do! I'm glad you were able to get it worked out

Next Trip: Podcast Cruise 5.0

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Jul-Aug 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Dec 2013*Podcast Cruise 5.0
NejTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #622
tajz90
Mama D

Help help!

Anyone taking the chance with a 11:55 Departure time from Barcelona on the 25th?
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #623
Missesjoyce
Earning My Ears

I think 11.55 should be okay !! Last time we left the ship in bcn at 7 o clock, booked a bus trip with disney ( round tour barcelona) and after 3 hours they left us on the airport at 12 noon....

So, if you go off the ship at 7.45 for example, you grab a taxi (plenty in front of the ship) and you will be at the airport at least at 9 o clock !! 3 hours before your flight !!!
Missesjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #624
bonnielynn
DIS Veteran

I live on the East Coast and have been looking for air.. anyone have any luck getting reasonable rates and if so can you let me know which airlines etc?

bonnielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #625
tajz90
Mama D

Well we booked air with departure at 11:55 It's done - no turning back! I can't wait!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #626
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Any ideas when the Mediterranean excusion information will be available? The first one is June 1, so they'll have to have something out more than 4 months before that.

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Jul-Aug 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic Dec 2013*Podcast Cruise 5.0
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #627
ky71
Mouseketeer

My Dreams Unlimited TA advised us that we could expect info around the beginning of January. We have never cruised so we are the last to be able to book port excursions
TDL-2010, June 2012
HKDL-2010, Oct 2012
DCL-2013

Upcoming trips

DD dancing at DLR in July 2014

WDW & cruise in Sept 2015

Shanghai DL 2016
ky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #628
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky71 View Post
My Dreams Unlimited TA advised us that we could expect info around the beginning of January. We have never cruised so we are the last to be able to book port excursions
Don't fret! There are usually plenty of options. And there are many cruisers who don't think about booking excursions exactly at 90 days out.

And if there are ones you can't get, keep checking back frequently and definitely check once you get onboard. Since excursions don't require payment in advance, quite often people book and then cancel later.

Chin up!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #629
tink&cinderella
I keep thinking and thinking but nothing more is coming out
Good things take time to develop properly

airfare

Flying from Toronto to Newark to Hamburg Germany on United and then return from Barcelona to Toronto.... 1230.00 on Air Canada. Returning home the day after we arrive in Barcelona.

It was an OK price in comparison to what I was able to find elsewhere - Finn Air had good deals but with lay overs of 13 hours in Helsinki... not willing to do that..

Anyways, we are excited and will be travelling through Germany, France and then to Barcelona. Can't wait!!!

August 2006 - POR
May 2006 - POP
March 2006 - POP
October 2005 - POP
July 2005 - off site
April 2005 - POFQ & 7 Day Western DCL
August 2004 - POP
February 2004 - POR & 7 Day Eastern DCL
January 2003 - ASM
May 1992 - off site
March 1986 - off site
tink&cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #630
dormouse7899
Earning My Ears

We are booked on the July 13Th cruise. I am starting to think about excursions. How much time do you really have on shore? If Disney says you have 7:45am to 5pm, I imagine you lose time disembarking (waiting in line) to get off and need to be back with with enough time to spare so you don't get left behind. Can someone tell me what to expect? Much thanks!
dormouse7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: