Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #526
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Can someone please clarify for me how the transfers work? If we book one of the hotels that DCL is using on our own, can we then use the check in service for the cruise at the hotel and the transfers to the port if we request and pay for it? Does anyone know how much it would cost?

We plan buying our plane tickets or driving to Barcelona and booking the hotel ourselves. Have never used a DCL hotel pre-cruise before or the check in service but it seems like it would be easier than lugging everything to the port ourselves.
Just bumping up this question. I'm curious as well.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #527
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Is US Airways the only option for direct to Barcelona from Philly? Hopefully you can view the flight times/prices soon. I think a lot of airlines open their booking windows like 350 days in advanced (not all, though), so it might be you can start to view some of the outbound flight (one way) schedules/prices now (of course, you would only be able to see one-way prices now because they haven't released the inbound flights yet, so viewing the round trip flights now is still not possible, so the one-way prices won't be an accurate way to see the price (since two one-ways are typically more expensive than 1 round trip, but could give you a ballpark idea of the price at least for now).

Well, we officially booked our outbound flights!! So, now it's REALLY official. Since we are using miles, we can book one-ways and it costs no different in miles than booking round trip (ie, two 1-way bookings is the same cost in miles as a round trip), so that is the one benefit to booking with miles.

I'm so excited! We are flying out of Seattle on July 2, arrive in London July 3. We decided that we are going to spend 2 nights in London for our lay-over, and then fly from London to Milan on July 5. We'll spend a couple days in Milan and then a couple days in Venice... then fly to Barcelona.

Now, we just have to wait probably until August to book our flights home, but it's fun knowing we officially have plane tickets to Europe! So, we are fully locked in now.

Can't wait to hear about everyone else's travel plans!

Kathy

ps. I meant to say that Disneyland Paris sounds like so much fun!! We are still trying to figure out if we will even try to do DLP. We need to wait and see when we can get plane tickets home from LHR (London Heathrow) to Seattle after the cruise (we'll fly from Barcelona to LHR). It's the long haul flight that is hard to find mileage seats on, so we have to take whichever dates we can get, typically. But, if we are able to make it so we have 4 or 5 days in London AFTER the cruise, we might look into goign into Paris over night (via the Chunnel) and going to DLP. But, that might be just really expensive and not worth it for such a short time, so we're going to just wait and see. But, DLP sounds like so much fun!! I really hope it works out for you to go!
Yes, US Airways is our only option for direct to BCN from PHL. We probably won't be able to view flights until around September 1 since in my experience most airlines, at least the ones in Star Alliance, which I fly most often, don't release dates until 335 days in advance. So we'll have to wait until then to see the price roundtrip from PHL-BCN, and then Paris-PHL for the return.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #528
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Joining the party!

I spent the last couple of days reading the entire thread...we just booked this week. We can't wait to join you all on the cruise.

This is mine and DH's second cruise...the first being a quick 4 day Bahamas wedding cruise for a friend. It will be DS's first. He has been asking to go on a big ship...so we thought this would be a great option and opportunity to see some of Europe.

It will be me (Laura), DH (Andres) and DS (Mateo, will be 6 at sailing). We live just north of Atlanta. We are on deck 2...not sure which cabin and second seating for dinner. Not sure yet about participation in all the other stuff. I think we are going to be staying a few days after the cruise in Barcelona, possibly meeting up with another family who will be traveling in Europe about that time. Looking forward to seeing DS put some of his spanish skills into action. He goes to a local international school and is in their bilingual immersion program for spanish.

I have already told DH I plan to hike some of Cinque Terre at that stop. I have done the Pisa/Lucca thing before and don't think there is enough time to really see much in Florence so we will likely save it for another trip. DH and DS can do their own thing but I have wanted to do Cinque Terre for a while now and this seems like a great time to do it! Plus I am a pt photographer and think that it will be a blast taking pictures along the way.

Looking forward to learning more about cruising and also planning for this trip from all of you more experienced cruisers! In the meantime I am busy planning a trip to WDW for DS's 6th birthday in October (and a total of 19 people) and a 10th anniversary trip to Paris for DH and I, plus my BFF and her hubs at Christmas.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #529
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Welcome Aboard to Laura, Andres, and Mateo! You have been added to our Roll Call!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #530
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Thanks! We booked into the renaissance for the night before the trip using points. Andres wasn't convinced on coming early, especially without a points room available at the Hilton. But finding a Marriott one works too, maybe better so we can save Hilton points for when we get back!

Since Mateo hasn't traveled more than one time zone away...mostly to South America...I wanted him to have a day to adjust! Also purchased some travel books. Plan is to take out just the sections for the trip and bind them together. I prefer actual books to ebooks for travel guides...but ebooks for all other reading.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #531
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateluv
We have late dining and have always enjoyed it. This will be our fifth cruise and we did the Med in 2010. It's true the port days are long and tiring. I think on some of the longer port times early dinner was pushed back later to give the early diners more time to get back to the ship. We have always liked the late dining as it gives us longer to enjoy the ports and relax for a bit before dinner. I guess it is just a matter of what works for your family!! The Med cruise is exciting and tiring at the same time!! Joan
This is true. They push back 1 st seating during the longer port days. In the past, Med 07 and Baltic, we would board, wash our hands and go straight to dinner. It was easy.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #532
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Rome Update

We got back from a week visit to Rome a little while back and I said earlier I would give an update on work for the new Line C on the metro. It is open and working, but not completely. About half the line is working now and the rest should be operational later this year. It definitely helps with getting around, but a there is still a good section of the city that is not available on the metro, just buses. None the less, it is still a great city.

We also did a day trip up to Florence and I am hoping that it is just like it was for us when everyone visits next year. Nice sunny day, and NO lines for anything. When we visited on the cruise last year it was a Saturday and the lines were insanely long. I believe the stop is a weekday this year so that should make it a little better.

Somehow it does not seem as crazy to be planning now that are within the one year mark!
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #533
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

What has everyone been up to? I'm in the midst of packing for our Alaska Cruise. Kind of hard to look at fleece jackets when it is 90+ degrees here!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
Old 08-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #534
kehonuamemano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins
What has everyone been up to? I'm in the midst of packing for our Alaska Cruise. Kind of hard to look at fleece jackets when it is 90+ degrees here!
Enjoying our summer here in New England it's so short. Getting ready for our Canada cruise next month. I agree it's hard to think about the chilly weather when it's ninety degrees out.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #535
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Just back from 11 days at Aulani! Wow, Disney really outdid themselves with that resort!!!

Now it's time to seriously start our planning for this cruise. First airfare and hotel..............
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #536
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
Been busy getting ready for back to school (starts Tuesday for DS although many schools around here have already started) and getting ready for DS's birthday trip to Disney coming up in October.

Went to lunch this week with one of our Greek friends and she gave me the scoop on Mykonos. Said to expect it to be REALLY HOT!! So we are thinking our plan for that day will likely be to hit the beach for as long as we can stand it then take DS back to the ship and check him into the kids club. We will likely then head back out to wander around the town a bit. She did say that the port is very close to the town and its very easy to get in and out. So she thought that it wouldn't be a big deal to drop him back on the ship while we went out to explore.

We've talked some about plans for other days. Checked out the excursion lists from previous trips that we found online. So we have a general idea of what we want to try and do while we are there.

I went to Italy in 1999 and got the coolest book. I have no idea what happened to it over the years. It was of the ancient sites in Rome and had overlays to show illustrations of what things would have looked like back in the day. I think it will be great to try and get one of those again for DS. If we can find one for Athens, I'll try and get one too. A co-worker is going to Italy in the Spring so I've asked him to look and for Athens, my Greek friend's mom is here now and will be coming back for a visit in October. I think I'll ask her to try and find one for me. At 6 I think it will be hard for DS to understand a lot of what he is seeing, but I think those books will be helpful for that.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #537
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

So after I posted that I got to thinking about where the overlay book might be. So I had to go check. AND I FOUND IT!! Yay!! And its still in really good shape. So now just need to get one for Greece!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #538
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Just back from an ABD in France (Esprit de France) and had a great time. We're now ready to shift into DCL Med planning. How far in advantage do they release the shore excursions? Has anyone purchased their airfare yet?

ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #539
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
Just back from an ABD in France (Esprit de France) and had a great time. We're now ready to shift into DCL Med planning. How far in advantage do they release the shore excursions? Has anyone purchased their airfare yet?
We haven't bought our airfare yet because its not yet available--fares for us from Philly to Europe should be out by the end of this month, so we are really excited for that. Locking in the airfare always makes it feel so real. We have however booked several private excursions already for Rome, Athens, and Turkey. After we see the airfare and make our decision on how many days pre/post cruise we'll book hotel rooms next since many of them have good advance purchase rates.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #540
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Just back from 11 days at Aulani! Wow, Disney really outdid themselves with that resort!!!

Now it's time to seriously start our planning for this cruise. First airfare and hotel..............
Oh, do tell us about Aulani!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: