Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #481
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Hi everyone,

I grew up in Alaska, and my dad was a harbor pilot in Alaska, so in the summer, he piloted all the cruise ships, so we got to go with him all the time!! A fun perk! You'll love Alaska... SOOOO beautiful and worth seeing! It's an amazing place! Just plan for both cooler weather, and possibly some rain, and warmer weather. But, it won't get "hot". Depends on what "hot" means to you. But, definitely bring clothes for cooler temps, because being out on the water will be chilly.

I live in Seattle now, so if you want any tips on things to do here in Seattle while you're here for the first 3 days, let me know! It's a great city!! We are hoping to go down to the port to see the Wonder a couple times while it's here.

Anyway, you'll love your AK cruise... it's a part of the world that is so worth seeing. If you ever have time, and another opportunity, you should go back, but go farther north up to Anchorage, and that whole area.... it's totally different than SE Alaska (where your cruise will be going), and even more beautiful!!! But, Alaska is one of those places you need LOTS of time to see and do it all, so doing SE Alaska now is a great choice.

Have fun!

Kathy
We'll be in Seattle for 3 days. I got tickets for the King Tut exhibit and am excited about that. We probably will get a City Pass for hitting some of the major spots. Can't wait -- so excited to see Seattle -- and then the Alaska cruise!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #482
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleblanc View Post
Kathy,

Good luck with the airline tickets.

We just got back from a short school break trip to Milan and the surrounding area. Have been there before, but it was nice to go back and just walk around not having to rush to see all the sites. If you have never been to Verona, I would highly suggest it. Very cute town, great outdoor opera, and Juliet's balcony!

I totally agree with you on the Italian food, just walking from one meal to the next with a good gelato stop in between is my idea of a great vacation.
Thanks!! I hope we have good luck with the tickets. My husband is Gold status with British Airways, so he seems to think it's easier for Gold to get mileage seats... I'm letting him figure that one out.

That would be so neat to be able to take a short trip to Milan (or anywhere in Itlay!) I've only been to Milan for one night (we flew out of Milan one time we went to Italy, but never spent any time there), so that is why we want to visit Milan this time. We'll see. I agree... just being able to walk from one meal to the next with good gelato! La Vita e Bella!

I see you are from Geneve! I hear Geneve is a GREAT city, and Switzerland is just beautiful! My best friend and her family are going to Switzerland for a month in July this year. So, I'm waiting to hear from her how it was, and it might prompt us to make a trip there sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
We'll be in Seattle for 3 days. I got tickets for the King Tut exhibit and am excited about that. We probably will get a City Pass for hitting some of the major spots. Can't wait -- so excited to see Seattle -- and then the Alaska cruise!
Oh, I've heard that the King Tut exhibit is a MUST see! We haven't been able to make it there yet, but will go after school is out when we have more time. And, the city pass is a great deal. You'll get to see and do all the great places in Seattle. It will be fun! Sounds like the whole trip will be a lot of fun.

Kathy
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #483
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone! I just got back from the 5 night double dip Dream cruise last week, we had an amazing time. I wish every cruise had 2 stops at Castway Cay, its just so awesome! It was my 6th DCL cruise, my mom's 2nd, and my dad's first- both my parents had a great time, my mom enjoyed it immensely better than her first Wonder cruise in 2004. They both want to do a 7 day in 2014, I'm so ready for those itineraries to be released now! But, the best news is, my dad loved cruising so much, he agreed to join me on this cruise!! I'm so happy because I've always wanted to travel to Europe to him--in all my trips to Europe, whenever I was at an amazing site, I would always say to myself, gosh I know my dad would love this. I've been pushing him to vacation more for years but he never jumped for it, but he loved the Dream cruise so much he didnt want to leave and now he is going crazy that this cruise is a year away! I told him though that planning is half the fun. I'm just so glad that I won't be travelling solo now, and I'm so over the top excited. Please add him to the roll call with me, his name is Michael. Thanks!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #484
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Hi Everyone! I just got back from the 5 night double dip Dream cruise last week, we had an amazing time. I wish every cruise had 2 stops at Castway Cay, its just so awesome! It was my 6th DCL cruise, my mom's 2nd, and my dad's first- both my parents had a great time, my mom enjoyed it immensely better than her first Wonder cruise in 2004. They both want to do a 7 day in 2014, I'm so ready for those itineraries to be released now! But, the best news is, my dad loved cruising so much, he agreed to join me on this cruise!! I'm so happy because I've always wanted to travel to Europe to him--in all my trips to Europe, whenever I was at an amazing site, I would always say to myself, gosh I know my dad would love this. I've been pushing him to vacation more for years but he never jumped for it, but he loved the Dream cruise so much he didnt want to leave and now he is going crazy that this cruise is a year away! I told him though that planning is half the fun. I'm just so glad that I won't be travelling solo now, and I'm so over the top excited. Please add him to the roll call with me, his name is Michael. Thanks!
Oh I'm happy for you both! It will be so nice that you get to share the experiences with your dad. Plus, now he can help you plan!!

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #485
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wonderful! I've added his name to the roll call!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #486
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears

We just returned from the 28 May - 4 June Wonder cruise to Alaska plus a few extra days in Portland (Columbia Gorge) and Seattle. Tracy Arm was simply spectacular, and seeing a whale following in the ship's wake as we were eating in Palo's was incredible. If you want any info on the current excursions, feel free to ask. As someone mentioned earlier, have backup plans. The helicopter-dog sledding trips out of Skagway were cancelled at the last minute. Fortunately, we were on the helicopter-glacier hike. A once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #487
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Has anyone booked any excursions yet? I've been doing extensive research and emailing lots of tour companies trying to see who has the best info and best prices. So far I've booked one for Rome. I was originally planning to stay on the ship on this day since I've studied abroad in Rome and seen it all, but now that my dad is coming I really want him to experience the city. I booked a private tour with a highly rated company, 9 hours including transportation to/from the ship, guided touring including the Colosseum and Vatican, plus many other stops in between. Having been to Rome before, I can tell you there is no way you can see all of that in 1 day without a private tour. Public transportation is available but unlike many other well networked European cities, Rome only has 2 metro lines- so they aren't nearly as available as other cities. If you just want to see the city, or only a few sites, I would recommend taking the train to the city and you'll be fine; however, if this is going to be your one and only visit to Rome ever or for a long time, I recommend a private tour. It was pricey, but from my experience I know it will be highly worth it.

I'm glad that most if not all of the companies I'm researching don't require payment until the end of the tour, in cash. This is great not to have to commit to deposits way in advance just in case something happens.

So has anyone else locked anything in?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #488
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone, I just got back from the NY inaugural two-day cruise to nowhere on the Magic. My husband and I met up with some fun adult friends and had a great time. We left the kids home with Gram and that seemed to work well. Right before we left I learned that we gotten Disney's approval to open up our own Disney Travel Agency. There are four of us from all of over the country who are owners (and two of us were on board the 2-day cruise). It was really cool to make our first bookings (for ourselves and a bunch of other people) on board the Magic. We opened up some bubbly to celebrate!

People have been asking what I thought of the 2-day cruise. It was great fun and a special highlight was cruising by the Statue of Liberty. It was a bit cool in the mornings but warmed up nicely as the day wore on. There was a great juggler (can't remember his name but he was on America's Got Talent a few years ago) and that was great fun going to Beat Street to watch him perform. One other thought: the Magic seemed uncrowded, but I'm also comparing it to my last cruise on the Dream that was really packed. Might have been because so many people were cruising without their kids. Though I love the bigger ships, I really do love the classic Magic. Haven't sailed on the Wonder yet, but get to do so in August on our Alaska cruise!

@Nicole: I haven't booked any Med excursions yet. But now you've got me motivated to start looking!

Beth

Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #489
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Has anyone booked any excursions yet? I've been doing extensive research and emailing lots of tour companies trying to see who has the best info and best prices. So far I've booked one for Rome. I was originally planning to stay on the ship on this day since I've studied abroad in Rome and seen it all, but now that my dad is coming I really want him to experience the city. I booked a private tour with a highly rated company, 9 hours including transportation to/from the ship, guided touring including the Colosseum and Vatican, plus many other stops in between. Having been to Rome before, I can tell you there is no way you can see all of that in 1 day without a private tour. Public transportation is available but unlike many other well networked European cities, Rome only has 2 metro lines- so they aren't nearly as available as other cities. If you just want to see the city, or only a few sites, I would recommend taking the train to the city and you'll be fine; however, if this is going to be your one and only visit to Rome ever or for a long time, I recommend a private tour. It was pricey, but from my experience I know it will be highly worth it.

I'm glad that most if not all of the companies I'm researching don't require payment until the end of the tour, in cash. This is great not to have to commit to deposits way in advance just in case something happens.

So has anyone else locked anything in?

The new line of the metro (Line C) has just opened in Rome, will be there next week so I will let you know how it is working. It should make getting around the city a little easier, but you are right there is no way to see Rome in one day. I find something new every time and I am still working on my list of things to see and do after 6 visits!
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #490
fabulousoldshoes
Earning My Ears

Hey everyone! We just booked this cruise onboard the Magic for the 5 Night Canada cruise. This will be our 5th DCL cruise (We're debating a Dream cruise for spring in which case this will be our 6th cruise and we'll finally be gold!) We've done the Mexican Rivera in 2008, the Baltic in 2010 (Which was by far the best vacation I've ever been on), the Alaska cruise in 2011, and then the Canada one. All but the Alaskan cruise were on the Magic and the Wonder just doesn't feel the same so we'll be sticking with our home ship as much as we can!

I'll be 17 on this cruise (Bree), traveling with me will be my mom (Lorie, Also known as ldconley on the disboards and she should make an appearence here as the cruise draws closer) and my dad (Mike). We're from Chattanooga Tennessee.

We have second seating for dining, which we've always done and even on the Baltic which also had longer excursions I never had trouble getting dressed and ready to go see the shows. We're in room #5132 I believe, our info is still packed up as we're currently in the hotel in NYC but I'm pretty sure that's it.

We're definately interested in the FE and the SM sounds cool too, we've done FEs on all our past cruises but never an SM so I'll have to talk to my people.

I'm going ahead and making myself the main communicator for my family because on the Canada cruise my mom posted once and then never showed up again and I ended up filling out our FE info and talking to our fellow cruisers...so here I am!

Can't wait to get on this cruise we just got off the Magic a few hours ago but I can't wait to get back!
fabulousoldshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #491
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousoldshoes View Post
Hey everyone! We just booked this cruise onboard the Magic for the 5 Night Canada cruise. This will be our 5th DCL cruise (We're debating a Dream cruise for spring in which case this will be our 6th cruise and we'll finally be gold!) We've done the Mexican Rivera in 2008, the Baltic in 2010 (Which was by far the best vacation I've ever been on), the Alaska cruise in 2011, and then the Canada one. All but the Alaskan cruise were on the Magic and the Wonder just doesn't feel the same so we'll be sticking with our home ship as much as we can!

I'll be 17 on this cruise (Bree), traveling with me will be my mom (Lorie, Also known as ldconley on the disboards and she should make an appearence here as the cruise draws closer) and my dad (Mike). We're from Chattanooga Tennessee.

We have second seating for dining, which we've always done and even on the Baltic which also had longer excursions I never had trouble getting dressed and ready to go see the shows. We're in room #5132 I believe, our info is still packed up as we're currently in the hotel in NYC but I'm pretty sure that's it.

We're definately interested in the FE and the SM sounds cool too, we've done FEs on all our past cruises but never an SM so I'll have to talk to my people.

I'm going ahead and making myself the main communicator for my family because on the Canada cruise my mom posted once and then never showed up again and I ended up filling out our FE info and talking to our fellow cruisers...so here I am!

Can't wait to get on this cruise we just got off the Magic a few hours ago but I can't wait to get back!
Welcome Bree! You are well travelled and so well spoken for your age, you remind me of myself at your age! I'm 25 now and travelling with my dad on this cruise--I was expecting to be going alone but on my dad's first cruise on the Dream last month, he fell in love with DCL and jumped at the chance to join me, so I'm thrilled he is going. Well again, welcome, and glad to have another advance planner onboard!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #492
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousoldshoes View Post

Welcome Bree -- You've been added to the Roll Call! If you'd like to sign up for the FE and/or the SM, just follow the information in Post 4 on our first page. So glad that you and your parents will be joining us ... you are our 40th family!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #493
slg
DIS Veteran

HI Bree! Our family also did Mexico in 2008, Baltic in 2010 and Alaska in 2011! We're on the 8 day NY July 20, then a NYE cruise on the Fantasy before we are on the Med.

Which Baltic cruise were you on? Wondering if you know my son Nicholas who will be 17 on this cruise too.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #494
fabulousoldshoes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg View Post
HI Bree! Our family also did Mexico in 2008, Baltic in 2010 and Alaska in 2011! We're on the 8 day NY July 20, then a NYE cruise on the Fantasy before we are on the Med.

Which Baltic cruise were you on? Wondering if you know my son Nicholas who will be 17 on this cruise too.
It was the Baltic cruise that was over 4th of July but I can't remember what day that started on. I probably don't know him though, I didn't go up to the teen club all that much.
fabulousoldshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #495
slg
DIS Veteran

I hope you go to the teen club this time. My ds has had a great time on all our cruises.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999