Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #466
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

What's everybody been up to? We have been a quiet lot of late! My family is headed on the Wonder to Alaska in August so I've had my head wrapped around the excursion planning for that cruise. We fly into Seattle three days early and I'm excited about exploring there too as it will be a new place for me and the twins (my DH has been there numerous times).

Has anyone taken a cruise to Alaska with DCL or with another cruise line? If so, how was it?

Beth

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #467
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
What's everybody been up to? We have been a quiet lot of late! My family is headed on the Wonder to Alaska in August so I've had my head wrapped around the excursion planning for that cruise. We fly into Seattle three days early and I'm excited about exploring there too as it will be a new place for me and the twins (my DH has been there numerous times).

Has anyone taken a cruise to Alaska with DCL or with another cruise line? If so, how was it?

Beth
Hi Beth,
Yes, it's been really busy here, too. Between getting ready for the end of the school year, preparing for a Chemistry class I'm teaching this summer and DS wedding in July, plus preparing for our 1st Aulani visit this Aug, it's been crazy!

Anyway, you will absolutely LOVE Alaska. We did the Wonder to Alaska last year and it exceeded our expectations!!!!!! We've been many places, but there was something very special about AK.

We had great weather but be prepared for misty rain. When we mentioned the rain to one of the shopkeepers in Ketchikan, they said, "Well you are in a rain forest, what did you expect". Never thought of it, quite frankly.

As long as you are prepared for warm, cool, and rain, you will have the best time. Make sure you take a good camera for all the wildlife you will see! And have an alternate excursion on the back burner in case one of yours is cancelled because of weather, especially if it is by boat or plane.

Maryann
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #468
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans

Quote:

Beth
Hi Beth (and everyone else),
Your August cruise sounds wonderful! I haven't been to Alaska although I have friends who did DCL Alaska last year and loved it.

We are off to the Caribbean on the Fantasy in August and yes, have been focusing on planning for that trip this month. Summer is nearly upon us and I'm looking forward to it!

take care all,
Randi
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #469
pirateluv
Mouseketeer

Hi Beth and fellow cruisers!! Alaska was wonderful!! We did it last August with DCL. It was an amazing trip. Truly one of the best vacations we have ever done (along with the Med in 2010!) Still thinking about Med 1013, lots of planning to do to keep life interesting!!!- Joan
DCL Fantasy Eastern Dec 28 2013

pirateluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #470
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Hi, All!!

Back from the Wonder Hawaiian cruise now

....time to catch up!!

I still haven't figured out why the FE list is not accessible to everyone, but will by the end of today. Sorry to anyone who has had a problem....nothing worse than techno frustration! Well, guess there are worse things, of course, but none come to mind right now!!!!

Anyway, sorry about that & it should be up & running tonight. Hope everyone is doing well!! What did I miss?

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #471
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

I think the Spreadsheet link is working again on our page one! Thanks Bev!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #472
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Just back from Oahu and Maui. Hawaii is so wonderful. We're heading on a family reunion cruise on the Dream in a month. This will be our first time on one of the new ships. Very excited about that. Then in Aug we head on our first ABD trip to France. Lots of stuff to do, but very excited about getting back to the med next yr.

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #473
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!

All these exciting trip coming up for everyone!! Can't wait to hear all about them

We just got a surprise trip we weren't expecting at all that we have to plan now. We won a trip to Disneyland! The timing is crazy! The day we found out, my mom had to go in for surgery to get her breast removed b/c of cancer. She had bad complications and just came home. We still haven't even had the chance to tell the kids or my parents. Feel weird sharing good news like that at a time like this

So now we have to plan that trip, plus this cruise...both places we know nothing about....on top of everything else. Stress level are way up. BUt at least thee are two good things to stress about!

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #474
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
All these exciting trip coming up for everyone!! Can't wait to hear all about them

We just got a surprise trip we weren't expecting at all that we have to plan now. We won a trip to Disneyland! The timing is crazy! The day we found out, my mom had to go in for surgery to get her breast removed b/c of cancer. She had bad complications and just came home. We still haven't even had the chance to tell the kids or my parents. Feel weird sharing good news like that at a time like this

So now we have to plan that trip, plus this cruise...both places we know nothing about....on top of everything else. Stress level are way up. BUt at least thee are two good things to stress about!
Congrats on the trip and hope your mom will recover soon. When is the trip? Hopefully you'll have time to plan.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #475
Amy Fran
Mouseketeer

Wow! Congrats on your win! We are heading to DL this fall, but we have to pay for it! I'm so jealous And I'm with ya on the overwhelming planning. This will be my husband's first time ever to DL and might as well be mine (I was there once when I was 10), and we've never left the country before (minus a shore excursion on a Western Caribbean cruise) so flying into Barcelona and spending almost 2 weeks in countries where we don't speak the language is rather daunting. But exciting!

And to answer an earlier question, we cruised Alaska last year with DCL and were blown away. The scenery is absolutely surreal - like looking at calendar pictures that you can reach out & touch. And I confer about bringing a good camera but I'd like to add: bring a back-up camera. Day 2 of our cruise, our $1500 camera decided to quit and we had to buy a camera onboard (which was WAY more than it would've been in a store back home). I was NOT going to Alaska and coming home without photos!!! Besides our personal crisis, the cruise was amazing! Wearing layers is key - it can be warm (like 75 degrees) during the day and be chilly, chilly at night and/or when it rains. You'll have an incredible time!
Amy Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #476
sthissell
Earning My Ears

Hi!! I am so excited for this cruise! My husband and I always wanted to go on a Mediterranean cruise (and I am a total Mousejunky!). I signed up for the cruise the week that they announced it. It will be a bit bittersweet for me, as 2013 would have been my 15th anniversary and will be the 5th anniversary of my husband's death. We will have two rooms. I (Sarah) have three kids, Becca will be 12, Nick will be 7, and Toria will be 5. My in-laws (Richard and Merrilee) are also coming. We would definitely like to be involved in all of the swaps.
sthissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #477
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthissell View Post
Hi!! I am so excited for this cruise! My husband and I always wanted to go on a Mediterranean cruise (and I am a total Mousejunky!). I signed up for the cruise the week that they announced it. It will be a bit bittersweet for me, as 2013 would have been my 15th anniversary and will be the 5th anniversary of my husband's death. We will have two rooms. I (Sarah) have three kids, Becca will be 12, Nick will be 7, and Toria will be 5. My in-laws (Richard and Merrilee) are also coming. We would definitely like to be involved in all of the swaps.
Welcome Sarah! You've been added to the roll call. Do let me know if there are any more particulars you'd like to have added to page one. So glad you and your children and in-laws are joining us on this cruise.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #478
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthissell View Post
Hi Sarah!

I believe we have 2 upcoming cruises on common? Just met you on the Fantasy 7/7/12 thread!!

The Magic, which we have for this cruise, is a smaller, older ship but some of us (myself included!) prefer the "classics" ...still, I'm also looking forward to seeing the glitz of the Fantasy this summer.

We have an FE list & a FB page for this group too...all the info is on the 1st page of the thread.

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #479
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I've posted here, but just saying to let you all know I'm still around!! We just are now starting to plan a bit more our trip next summer for the Med cruise. We hopefully will be getting our airline tickets in July. We are using British Airway miles to fly all 4 of us there, and we've called several times and the same answer we seem to get is they will open up the mileage seats for early July 2013 around mid-July this year! So, we're going to call daily once that time gets close to make sure we get mileage seats.

What we are thinking/hoping to do is to fly to Milan, Italy sometime around July 1 or 2 and then spend time in Italy (Milan, Venice, and other places... not going to plan too much until we get our tickets), and then head to Barcelona on July 10. Spend July 10 - 13 in Barcelona, then get on the ship! And, depending on when we can get tickets home after the 25th will determine what we do in Europe (if anything) after the cruise.

So, it's been fun to start to think about!! But, we're not going to go full force in planning until we get our tickets. Since we are doing Mileage tickets, we have about 10 different options of airports we can fly into, so we'll just see where we flly into, and go from there!! But, flying into Milan is our first choice.... we just LOOOOVE Itlay. DH and I have been all over Itally (DH was born in Italy!), but our kids have never been, so that is why we want to spend most of our time in Italy before the cruise. Plus, can't be REAL Italian food.

We are not doing any Disney Cruises this year (just no itineraries that really appealed to us, or that would work with our kid's school schedule), but we are going to Hawaii in August! So, that will be fun.

And, April next year, we're going on the Fantasy for our kid's spring break... and then off to the Med in July!!

I can't believe it's already June!! 13 months and we'll all be getting ready to get on the ship! Wow!

Quote:

Beth
I grew up in Alaska, and my dad was a harbor pilot in Alaska, so in the summer, he piloted all the cruise ships, so we got to go with him all the time!! A fun perk! You'll love Alaska... SOOOO beautiful and worth seeing! It's an amazing place! Just plan for both cooler weather, and possibly some rain, and warmer weather. But, it won't get "hot". Depends on what "hot" means to you. But, definitely bring clothes for cooler temps, because being out on the water will be chilly.

I live in Seattle now, so if you want any tips on things to do here in Seattle while you're here for the first 3 days, let me know! It's a great city!! We are hoping to go down to the port to see the Wonder a couple times while it's here.

Anyway, you'll love your AK cruise... it's a part of the world that is so worth seeing. If you ever have time, and another opportunity, you should go back, but go farther north up to Anchorage, and that whole area.... it's totally different than SE Alaska (where your cruise will be going), and even more beautiful!!! But, Alaska is one of those places you need LOTS of time to see and do it all, so doing SE Alaska now is a great choice.

Have fun!

Kathy
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #480
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Kathy,

Good luck with the airline tickets.

We just got back from a short school break trip to Milan and the surrounding area. Have been there before, but it was nice to go back and just walk around not having to rush to see all the sites. If you have never been to Verona, I would highly suggest it. Very cute town, great outdoor opera, and Juliet's balcony!

I totally agree with you on the Italian food, just walking from one meal to the next with a good gelato stop in between is my idea of a great vacation.

Last edited by Eleblanc; 06-04-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: