Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #1786
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
LOL!!! That was funny! No kidding... you'd think, huh??

Well, with the airlines, you have to pay like $6,000+ per seat for an international flight in business or 1st class to get any kind of royal treatment... (and no, we're not paying that at all!!), but when people pay a measly $1366 (note the sarcasm!!) on a cattle car seat (again, note the sarcasm!), they get no royal treatment... sadly.

I'm with you... seems like paying that much money for that very small uncomfortable piece of real-estate, essentially (because that small seat is your little home for the time you're on the flight), you would get royal treatment...
It so true! I had the amazing experience of flying business class on my trip to Australia/New Zealand in 2011. It only cost me 100,000 FF miles which isn't hard to rack up when you have the credit card and do some domestic cross country flights which add up quick. I literally had a bed for the 14 hour flight from LA to Tokyo (yea, the think with miles is sometimes they route you oddly, like Tokyo on the way to NZ, but it actually worked out cool that I got 1 day in Tokyo and had a blast!), then another bed for the 10 hours down to NZ, and same thing on the way back. I slept for hours. It was one of those double decker planes. The meals were delish, drinks and snacks on demand, the bathroom was so big you could walk around in it. Not to mention the awesome business class lounges you had access to in the airport. Australia & NZ were great but the flights were a huge part of my vacation experience too! It was so surreal. I can't wait to do it again. I had enough points to do it for this trip but I decided to pass. After flying in the "bed" to the other side of the world I decided it would be wasteful to use it for only an 8 hr flight lol. 100K to go to Asia or south pacific is such a better steal, esp. when you consider you can pay 50K for a domestic regular first class ticket which is hardly better than coach. So, I'm saving the points for an Asia trip hopefully in 2015.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #1787
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennymike View Post
End of school year caused me to get WEEKS behind! Ugh! Now that I'm caught up, here are some questions I have for you all....

1. Anyone know what movies are going to be on board? We are hoping for "Lone Ranger" and "Monsters U". Any insights?

2. What is the carry-on policy in Barcelona? We know in Port Canaveral you can purchase alcohol and carry it onto the ship; We will be in Barcelona for a day before boarding....hoping we can 'stock up' without paying the on board prices for wine bottles. Anyone with a clue? Let us know! Thanks!

Penny
Penny, I don't know the answers to these, but I have these exact same questions!!! We are hoping to bring some good bottles of wine on board... and, yes, I also totally hope for the same movies (and so are our kids!!). I bet you anything they will have Monsters U for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
It so true! I had the amazing experience of flying business class on my trip to Australia/New Zealand in 2011. It only cost me 100,000 FF miles which isn't hard to rack up when you have the credit card and do some domestic cross country flights which add up quick. I literally had a bed for the 14 hour flight from LA to Tokyo (yea, the think with miles is sometimes they route you oddly, like Tokyo on the way to NZ, but it actually worked out cool that I got 1 day in Tokyo and had a blast!), then another bed for the 10 hours down to NZ, and same thing on the way back. I slept for hours. It was one of those double decker planes. The meals were delish, drinks and snacks on demand, the bathroom was so big you could walk around in it. Not to mention the awesome business class lounges you had access to in the airport. Australia & NZ were great but the flights were a huge part of my vacation experience too! It was so surreal. I can't wait to do it again. I had enough points to do it for this trip but I decided to pass. After flying in the "bed" to the other side of the world I decided it would be wasteful to use it for only an 8 hr flight lol. 100K to go to Asia or south pacific is such a better steal, esp. when you consider you can pay 50K for a domestic regular first class ticket which is hardly better than coach. So, I'm saving the points for an Asia trip hopefully in 2015.
We have flown to Australia before (in coach.... good ol' cattle car!), and let me tell you, I can see why (after that 15 hour flight for us) going business class would have been a huge part of your experience on that trip!! I would have given anything to go business class on that trip, but that was a long time ago, and we hadn't traveled enough yet to get enough miles, and we definitely weren't going to pay $9,000 per person...

What a great experience for you!! It really is fun when you get that kind of pampering experience, where you just truly appreciate every moment.

My husband gets tons of miles with British Airways because of his work travel, so he is pampering the 4 of us and he booked us all in business class round trip for this Med Cruise trip all on British Airways!! I'm SOOOOOO excited (and our kids I think are even more excited!) The kids and I have never ridden business class on a 747... we've gone first class before on 737 domestic flights, but that is nothing compared to being able to lay flat , being waited on, and be pampered just like you describe.

My husband flies business class on all his international business trips, so that is how he racks up the miles so fast (because when you pay for a business class seat, you get a TONS of bonus miles) and he comes home from his work trips telling us about his business class experience, as we are salivating hearing about it. So, he wanted us to have the same experience, so he used his miles to for all of us in business class for this trip ... I have a feeling that our experience will be like your Australian experience... that the flight will be part of the whole trip experience.

But, I told our kids, "do NOT get used to this.... our next vacation will be coach!!!" LOL!!! They know it's an extra special thing.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #1788
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun
What a great experience for you!! It really is fun when you get that kind of pampering experience, where you just truly appreciate every moment.

My husband gets tons of miles with British Airways because of his work travel, so he is pampering the 4 of us and he booked us all in business class round trip for this Med Cruise trip all on British Airways!! I'm SOOOOOO excited (and our kids I think are even more excited!) The kids and I have never ridden business class on a 747... we've gone first class before on 737 domestic flights, but that is nothing compared to being able to lay flat , being waited on, and be pampered just like you describe.

My husband flies business class on all his international business trips, so that is how he racks up the miles so fast (because when you pay for a business class seat, you get a TONS of bonus miles) and he comes home from his work trips telling us about his business class experience, as we are salivating hearing about it. So, he wanted us to have the same experience, so he used his miles to for all of us in business class for this trip ... I have a feeling that our experience will be like your Australian experience... that the flight will be part of the whole trip experience.

But, I told our kids, "do NOT get used to this.... our next vacation will be coach!!!" LOL!!! They know it's an extra special thing.
Kathy, that is so awesome that your whole family will experience the international business class together! You will have a blast. I remember thinking on my flights that the only thing that could have possibly topped the experience was having my mom (we're best friends!) in the bed next to mine so we could laugh and have fun together!!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #1789
Amy Fran
Mouseketeer

Quote:
1. Anyone know what movies are going to be on board? We are hoping for "Lone Ranger" and "Monsters U". Any insights?

2. What is the carry-on policy in Barcelona? We know in Port Canaveral you can purchase alcohol and carry it onto the ship; We will be in Barcelona for a day before boarding....hoping we can 'stock up' without paying the on board prices for wine bottles. Anyone with a clue? Let us know! Thanks!

Penny
Disney ships play first-run movies onboard so if it's playing on land, it will play on ship. All that to say I can almost guarantee Lone Ranger will be playing for our sailing. On previous cruises we've stayed up for the midnight showing of movies premiering on land like Brave and Pirates 4. However, Lone Ranger will premier on land before we sail so we won't have to wait till 12:01!

I'm also guessing that the carry-on policy is the same for alcohol as it is in Florida since the ship's registry hasn't changed.
Amy Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #1790
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Fran View Post

I'm also guessing that the carry-on policy is the same for alcohol as it is in Florida since the ship's registry hasn't changed.
I know I can go search....but does anyone know what this is off the top of their heads?
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #1791
pennymike
Must obey the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
I know I can go search....but does anyone know what this is off the top of their heads?
In Port Canaveral, you can carry on any alcohol you wish as long as it is in carry on bags/luggage. NOT in checked bags.
04/2004 - 4-Night Bahamian Cruise, Wonder. 07/2006 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 07/2007 - 7-Night @ WDW - Yacht Club Resort. 12/2007 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 08/2008 - 4-Night Bahamian Cruise, Wonder and 3-Night @ WDW - Wilderness Lodge Resort. 04/2009 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 07/2009 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 12/2009 - 7-Night Christmas Eastern Caribbean, Magic. 08/2010 - 11-Night Mediterranean Cruise, Magic. 12/2010 - 11-Night Christmas Cruise, Magic. 08/2011 - 5-Night Bahamian Cruise, Dream, 08/2011 - 4 Night @ WDW - WLV and AKV. 12/2011 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Magic. 07/2012, 2-Nights @ BWV & 7-Night Western Caribbean, Fantasy. 07/2013 - 12 Night Mediterranean Cruise, Magic. 12/2013 7-Night NYE Eastern Caribbean, Fantasy. Up and coming: 08/2014, 7-Night Western Caribbean w/Jamaica, Fantasy then 07/2015 12-Night Northern Europe, Magic.

pennymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #1792
disneycrazy2004
too far away from Disney....

I am pretty sure someone on the Facebook thread posted the movies for the cruise and Monsters University and Lone Ranger were both on the list.
Disney World-first trip-off site 2004All Star Music-September,2007Disney Magic-March,2008All Star Sports-September,2008 Pop Century-August,2009 All Star Movies-December,2009 Pop Century-August,2010 All Star Music-August,2011Caribbean Beach Resort-August,2011 Disney Magic-March,2012Port Orleans-Riverside-August,2012Disney Magic-Summer2013-B2B Med Cruise DVC Saratoga Springs Resort-May,2014
disneycrazy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #1793
boardergirl
Earning My Ears

cccceeee

Last edited by boardergirl; 07-01-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: not correct thread
boardergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #1794
ky71
Mouseketeer

Totally random topic...

Does anyone know what sports channels will be broadcast on the ship?

Specifically my DH wants to view the Fox soccer channel so he can see the Australian "State of Origin" league final...If it was showing live we would be at sea that day and DH thinks it would be a nice way (not for me) to spend a few hours. So what channels if any, are shown?
TDL-2010, June 2012
HKDL-2010, Oct 2012
DCL-2013

Upcoming trips

DD dancing at DLR in July 2014

WDW & cruise in Sept 2015

Shanghai DL 2016
ky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #1795
pennymike
Must obey the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky71 View Post

Specifically my DH wants to view the Fox soccer channel so he can see the Australian "State of Origin" league final...If it was showing live we would be at sea that day and DH thinks it would be a nice way (not for me) to spend a few hours. So what channels if any, are shown?
As a general rule, the sports channels are ESPN and ABC sports....um....which coincidentally are Disney owned! Imagine that! However....seeing how we will be on the other side of the planet...who knows?
04/2004 - 4-Night Bahamian Cruise, Wonder. 07/2006 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 07/2007 - 7-Night @ WDW - Yacht Club Resort. 12/2007 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 08/2008 - 4-Night Bahamian Cruise, Wonder and 3-Night @ WDW - Wilderness Lodge Resort. 04/2009 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 07/2009 - 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Magic. 12/2009 - 7-Night Christmas Eastern Caribbean, Magic. 08/2010 - 11-Night Mediterranean Cruise, Magic. 12/2010 - 11-Night Christmas Cruise, Magic. 08/2011 - 5-Night Bahamian Cruise, Dream, 08/2011 - 4 Night @ WDW - WLV and AKV. 12/2011 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Magic. 07/2012, 2-Nights @ BWV & 7-Night Western Caribbean, Fantasy. 07/2013 - 12 Night Mediterranean Cruise, Magic. 12/2013 7-Night NYE Eastern Caribbean, Fantasy. Up and coming: 08/2014, 7-Night Western Caribbean w/Jamaica, Fantasy then 07/2015 12-Night Northern Europe, Magic.

pennymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #1796
Stimpy
Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says so, so it must be true!

If you go to Diversions they are sometimes able to get other channels for sports events also on the satellite. We were able to watch several baseball games last time. They also played some of the big world cup soccer games on the big screen on deck during the Baltic which was a lot of fun.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #1797
canadakath
Mouseketeer

Just back form the June 15 cruise so hope I can help:
Quote:
End of school year caused me to get WEEKS behind! Ugh! Now that I'm caught up, here are some questions I have for you all....

Penny
MonstersU PremEARed on board at 12:01 a.m. on June 21. Unfortunately that was the night before Athens for us - no way were my kids staying up for it! But they showed it lots more times the rest of the cruise and we managed to see it on a sea day - very cute! I imagine Lone Ranger will be on as well.

Alcohol carry on policy is the same as PC. We bought wine in Barcelona and at the Duty Free shop at Kusadasi port. Was disappointed the new terminal at Athens wasn't quite finished and no Duty Free shop there - didn't have time to pick up any wine during our excursion. Villefranche and La Spezia are probably the other easy ports to get some drinks before reboarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky71 View Post

Sports TV was a big letdown for DH! They actually were showing the CARIBBEAN version of ESPN - we managed to catch SportsCentre one sea day at noon, but otherwise there was a LOT of cricket.... I would tell your DH not to get his hopes up... In some areas (close to Barcelona) it would not allow for some of the satellite channels and would only show the pre-recorded channels on loop (I love old Mickey Mouse cartoons as much as anyone, but they are showing the same 5 or 6 that they were showing 2 years ago on our first cruise...and my DS loves them)

If anyone else has questions I will try to check this board.

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #1798
buddwaur
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post

Wow!! That sounds FABULOUS!!! Enjoy all the pampering!! Sounds sooo wonderful! Some day I hope that hubby and I can fly business class and get to experience all those great perks!

Will you feel just a teensy weensy guilty about not being in the CATTLE section?! LOL!!

-sophia
buddwaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #1799
Y-GRO-UP
Earning My Ears

We were way late to be part of the FE....but what can

we/I do for the family/kids to make it special like you guys are doing? Any get togethers? don't know if i'll have time to finish all the postings. it's me DW, DS 14, DD 11.... you guys seems like professionals.

Suggestions? thanks a bunch.
Y-GRO-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1800
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-GRO-UP View Post
we/I do for the family/kids to make it special like you guys are doing? Any get togethers? don't know if i'll have time to finish all the postings. it's me DW, DS 14, DD 11.... you guys seems like professionals.

Suggestions? thanks a bunch.
I would suggest making door magnets to decorate your door. this adds "magic" always coming back to the room to admire them.

There is a meet and greet at 2:30 PM on embarkation day at Studio Sea. We'll all chat and put faces with names, kids can meet other kids their age, and matching wristbands will be given out.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: