Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #151
linkandclover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg View Post
Just thinking about where to stay in Barcelona...or should we go to Paris for a few days instead and then fly to Barcelona.

I saw that ABD is going to be having 3 and 4 day precruise tours in Barcelona but I bet they will be outrageously expensive. I checked out Rick Steves and Cosmos Tours, but there are so many options.

It'll all come together I'm sure. We're not made of money and we live on the West Coast of Canada so airfare for 5 is going to be about $10,000. Sigh.

What is everyone else's plans? Maybe we can all book into one hotel and get a group discount!
We stayed In Barcelona and it is a fun vibrant city. It is very easy to get around there via metro. A lot of what we did was walking around and people watching. The port is actually quite close ( walking distance or a very cheap cab fare) to Las Ramblas. This is a main street with street performers in elaborate costumes and many great shopping options (so many winding streets to entertain you and many great restaurants). You could really get on by yourself and pick a few key places to go to. There is also a really neat park that is fun to walk around and take in the amazing architecture (It was built by Gaudi and is a free attraction)
linkandclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #152
ejw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
Welcome Aboard! You have been added to the roll call!
Hi Beth,

on the roll call please change my line from new jersey to new york.

thanks, ellen

ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #153
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Oops. Sorry about that Ellen!
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #154
Im_A_Princess
PLATINUM - Woo Hoo!

Location: Maryland ~893.52 miles from my FL home in Port Canaveral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberlady View Post
Already changed cabins LOL
Can you please change me to 6019
Trying to get as close to Mid as possible. I am so annoying and am a frequent room changer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberlady View Post
Also. What do you think about cabin #6019. I didn't realize it was the corner room. I think it will be ok as it's at the front of the ship and my hallway goes to nowhere. Is it a "sideways" cabin?
Hi
just FYI... Did u read the room reviews for this room? http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis....cfm?Room=6019
It is noisy because next to the "crew" door. Wonder reviews and Magic are same cuz of ship's layout. That is what the gray wall/space is on the ship floor plan where it looks like you do not have a neighbor. http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/deck6.htm

-Chrissy 116 days onboard DCL and counting...)

Last edited by Im_A_Princess; 01-31-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Im_A_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #155
doberlady
It just never gets old to me
I adore the obsessiveness of Disney planning

thanks for thinking of me

I did look that up. I am slowly trying to inch towards the mid. I keep checking available each day.

Dixie Landings 1993 * Dixie Landings 1997
Dixie Landings 2000 * Old Key West 2002
Old Key West 2005 * Old Key West 2006
Contemporary 2008 * Disney Magic 2009
POR/CR 2010 * Contemporary 2011
Contemporary 2012 * Beach Club CL 2014

doberlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #156
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandclover View Post
We stayed In Barcelona and it is a fun vibrant city. It is very easy to get around there via metro. A lot of what we did was walking around and people watching. The port is actually quite close ( walking distance or a very cheap cab fare) to Las Ramblas. This is a main street with street performers in elaborate costumes and many great shopping options (so many winding streets to entertain you and many great restaurants). You could really get on by yourself and pick a few key places to go to. There is also a really neat park that is fun to walk around and take in the amazing architecture (It was built by Gaudi and is a free attraction)
Yes, we did the same. We really loved Barcelona, although it is a little seedy at night. We were with fellow Dis'ers getting on the metro to watch the Dancing fountains at the university and my DH stopped a pickpocket. There were about 3 working together. As someone was pretending their metro card was not working in the turnstile in front of our friend, the person behind him had a jacket over their arm while their hand was on his back pocket. They already had the pocket button opened when DH yelled "Jim, they are pickpocketing you". Immediately they scattered. So just be aware (and don't put your wallet into your back pocket). He is a retired NYC cop and said he didn't feel a thing.

Other than that incident (which could happen anywhere) we are so happy to be going back. It is really easy to get around. Almost everyone speaks & understands English. There are plenty of places to see and to eat. We did the hop on hop off bus which worked great and really allowed us to see so much in a short time. You will love the city! We even did a mini dis meet for dinner and to see the dancing fountains the night before the cruise. Maybe we can do something like that again.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #157
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just thinking about where to stay in Barcelona...or should we go to Paris for a few days instead and then fly to Barcelona.

I saw that ABD is going to be having 3 and 4 day precruise tours in Barcelona but I bet they will be outrageously expensive. I checked out Rick Steves and Cosmos Tours, but there are so many options.

It'll all come together I'm sure. We're not made of money and we live on the West Coast of Canada so airfare for 5 is going to be about $10,000. Sigh.

What is everyone else's plans? Maybe we can all book into one hotel and get a group discount!
Hello fellow Canadian. My family is originally from BC so I feel your pain regarding airfares. Although I can tell you, it is no better being the furthest East and only 4 hours away from Europe...because the prices out of Nfld are outrageous and usually you have to go backwards to Toronto or Montreal and then connect to get to Europe (to only fly over your house - literally - about 10 hours after you left your house).

A little trick I learned with Air Canada to Europe is after you choose which flight you want - check the codeshared airlines. Last year to Barcelona we saved over $2,000 by booking the same flight with Lufthansa direct vs. Air Canada. The cost was only $6K then...lol...for 3 adults and a baby.

In terms of Barcelona...we stayed in an apt last time instead of hotel. Mainly because the hotels (unless an American chain) don't have rooms big enough for 4+ people. And in the end it ended up being cheaper than getting two rooms in a hotel and it included laundry facilities and the comfort of having a fridge, etc. Location wise, the subway goes everywhere and it didn't matter where you were located you could get anyway. We stayed down by Las Ramblas...it was a great location.

We booked all of our cars in advance to make things easier. And thank goodness we didn't have a taxi cab meter running when we went to embark because the line-up to get into the port was crazy because sooo many ships were loading at the same time you were stuck in a lot of traffic. Some people were over an hour in that lineup of vehicles and were getting out of their cabs and walking.

Don't know what we are going to do this time in terms of how much time we are going to spend in Barcelona. I think we are going to try and sneek in a few days in Northern England again.

I know that you have boys...so I will tell you that my eldest son really enjoyed going up the mountain to Tibidabo (one of the oldest amusement parks in the world) for a dayoff of touring. The view from up there was abolutely amazing and the venicular & street car was fun to get there. But overall, Barcelona was very easy to do on your own.

I have a snow day today...so I could ramble on forever....I shall stop now.

~Heather~
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #158
Im_A_Princess
PLATINUM - Woo Hoo!

Location: Maryland ~893.52 miles from my FL home in Port Canaveral

We have had one disaster dining experience so far out of 13 cruises. It was a big one!
DH and I were traveling alone on a B2B 14 day. They stuck us at a family reunion table of about 8 others. The first night the family was fighting with each other. Yelling.The young daughter about 8 yrs did not want anything on the menus. Threw a FIT! She wanted a BOWL of croutons. They brought it out for her.The family complained through out the entire meal.
DH and I did not come back the second or 3rd night. At the boarding day buffet, the Head Chef from Parrot Cay mentioned he would make us a special Indian dinner the 3rd night. We weren't there in PC that night. The family at our table was a TERROR to all the CM's. The Dining Head Server (who we knew) tried calling us. They called Palo looking for us. Then the Host at Palo (who knew us) started calling looking for us. Palo Host finally found us back in our room. Invited us up to Palo where we were seated in the Palo Private Dining Room. They served us the Indian Dinner in Palo. It was a most magical experience. They cared enough to "find" us.
They gave us a table for 2 at a different dining rotation.
That family was a nightmare and I have never heard CMs complain about guests before or since.
Still take a chance each time we are on though because we have met some of the nicest people. Including 2 sisters from Hong Kong.

-Chrissy 116 days onboard DCL and counting...)
Im_A_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #159
slg
DIS Veteran

Well flying to Paris this year on Air Transat is about $4000 cheaper than flying direct to Barcelona and there are lots of cheap flights from paris to barcelona so we might do that. Also, my boys have all done french immersion and are keen to spend time in Paris. My thought is to spend some time in Paris, fly to Barcelona,spend a couple of days there, then on the way back try a couple of days in Disneyland Paris. This depends on whether we can afford all that for a family of 5. Trying to get some info on DLP but the site is hard and I feel rather overwhelmed with everything. Sigh. I think there should be a med planning thread where all of us can share our ideas about our planning, and this thread where we can be more specific and meet those on our cruise.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #160
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

A few pages back Chrissy provided a Disthread link that is all about Fish Extenders. Lots of pictures of different FEs appear in that long thread. I reposted it on our first page in post two for anyone who might be looking for it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #161
doberlady

GREAT idea about a planning thread for our cruise!!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #162
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well flying to Paris this year on Air Transat is about $4000 cheaper than flying direct to Barcelona and there are lots of cheap flights from paris to barcelona so we might do that. Also, my boys have all done french immersion and are keen to spend time in Paris. My thought is to spend some time in Paris, fly to Barcelona,spend a couple of days there, then on the way back try a couple of days in Disneyland Paris. This depends on whether we can afford all that for a family of 5. Trying to get some info on DLP but the site is hard and I feel rather overwhelmed with everything. Sigh. I think there should be a med planning thread where all of us can share our ideas about our planning, and this thread where we can be more specific and meet those on our cruise.
I've been following a few threads that are Med-planning related. I'm sure there are more.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2868717

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2868221

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2869097

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2868499

Last edited by tinkerbelltwins; 01-31-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #163
slg
DIS Veteran

Yes it looks like DLP hotels include breakfast and tickets. I'm not sure how many days I need. If I go directly there after Barcelona, perhaps two days in the parks are enough. With a family of 5 it looks like if we want to use a disney hotel, the cheapest way is to stay at the Santa Fe and get two rooms. I've estimated for this year for 2 nights and 3 park days it will be about $1200. That's not so bad if I'm actually calculating it right. My son turns 12 on the cruise and I think there is a bit of a discount for under 12 so we may have to go before the cruise. Wherever we can save money, we will! Just worried about jet lag as there is a 9 hour time difference! Eureka. So much to decide. Feel overwhelmed! And I still have my NY trip to worry about first (but I feel like that one is under control).

Now if I could only win the lottery and if my mother's cancer is gone, I would be a happy camper!
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #164
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I feel the same way about the Disneyland Paris website, it was overwhelming and confusing. I ordered the Unofficial Guidebook to Disneyland Paris from amazon over the weekend, hoping that provides better clarification (I've used that guide's WDW version and liked it). Also have my TA to rely on streamlining everything for me, but I still want to get a better grasp on it myself. Mainly, ballpark idea of how much 3 days there will cost me. The website had a very confusing chart of costs and it looks like they charge a single supplement there too, before you know it US hotels will do the same thing, ouch. And it looked to me (but I could be wrong) that you have to get a package that includes tickets for EACH night of your stay, not less- so if I book 3 nights (planning to only spend 2 days in parks, 1 for each, since the first day flying up from Barcelona will be wasted), i still have to pay for 3 day tickets.

Hopefully it will all work out though because I really, really want to experience a foreign Disney park. I stopped in Tokyo for about 24 hours on the way to my Australia/New Zealand trip last year, did a brief 1/2 day tour of the city while there, and while on the bus back to the airport, I was asleep and then randomly woke up and we were passing by Tokyo Disneyland, it was so weird looking out and seeing the space mountain and tops of big thunder mountain out there!!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #165
doberlady

we are also on the NY trip my 5 and my parents

I live under 60m north of NYC so this will be easy!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: