Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

driving to mammoth from socal

We're planning a trip to Mammoth Mountain for the first time as a family and we're planning on driving. I've heard from some friends and co-workers that there are a couple of place along 395 that are speed traps because the speed limit goes from like 55 to 45 to 35o 25 within a matter of a mile or so. What I've been trying to figure out is what the noraml speed limit is on the remainder of the freeway. I can't seem to find anything on it. I'm thinking it should be 70 but I've found some non-concrete information saying it might be 55 or 65. Has anybody recently driven on 395 from socal to mammoth able to confirm what the general speed limit is? Thanks
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Huff
DIS Veteran

395 is 4 lane north of Ridgecrest and I believe 65mph. The 2 lane sections south of there maybe 55 but I don't remember. The only areas to watch your speed are through the small towns of Big Pine, Ridgecrest, Lone Pine, Independence and Bishop. These are all rather short distances of a mile or two as you pass through town.

395 is a very scenic drive but can get significant snowfall north of Bishop so watch the weather reports. Also checkout June Lake area just north of Mammoth for skiing, hiking, fishing etc.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
howieebub
Earning My Ears

Like Huff said, the only parts that slow down are when the highway enters a town area. Those parts are short. The remainder of the time most people drive 70 to 75 mph.
howieebub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: