Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #886
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnurick View Post
Hello all. We are flying from ATL on 7/22 and staying two nights at the Hilton Diagonal Mar before departing on the cruise. Our thoughts were this would give our 6 and 9 year old time to adjust. We are going to stay one night the day we get back due to the time of the flight back to ATL. Is anyone else staying at this hotel and if so have any tips?
We stayed there in 2007 and loved the hotel, especially the rooftop pool. It is close to a metro stop and hop on hop off buses and beaches. There is a mall across the street where you can grab food. Good food at the hotel.

Biggest surprise for us is that lunchtime in Barcelona is 1:00 to 4:00 and dinner times usually start 9:00 or later. Tough finding restaurants open between 5:00 and 7:00 (try hotel bar if you need food during this time).

This time we are staying at the Renaissance Barcelona because we want to be walking distance to more things (we are a party of five adults). The Hilton is a bit far out.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #887
lasdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hello all. We are flying from ATL on 7/22 and staying two nights at the Hilton Diagonal Mar before departing on the cruise. Our thoughts were this would give our 6 and 9 year old time to adjust. We are going to stay one night the day we get back due to the time of the flight back to ATL. Is anyone else staying at this hotel and if so have any tips?
Hi, we are staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar as well for the 2 nights prior to cruise. Flying in from Paris with 2:15pm arrival so might get Barcelona Day tours to take us on a quick tour of the city before checking in at the hotel. We might just want to hang out at the pool/beach.

DH, Me, DS (14), DS (14)
lasdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #888
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone, this has probably been answered a dozen times before but I'm going to ask again... About guys and formal night... I'm travelling with my parents who are avid cruisers and they are seriously disappointed that my DH doesn't want to wear a tux. They were hoping to go for the all out evening wear look but my DH thinks he'll look out of place if he wears a tux. Also it's just a bit formal for his taste - he's generally more comfortable on holiday in shorts and t shirt and doesn't even like the idea of changing for dinner! So my basic question is... Are any of you guys out there - or guys accompanying you ladies - going to wear tuxes? My DH was just going to wear a shirt and tie and smart trousers - is that more what people are planning on wearing? I'm wearing a short cocktail type dress and I guess that's probably ok. Also do guys need a jacket for formal night or is the shirt and tie ok? Sorry if this has been asked a million times!
UKSwans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #889
Poppins2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSwans View Post
Hi everyone, this has probably been answered a dozen times before but I'm going to ask again... About guys and formal night... I'm travelling with my parents who are avid cruisers and they are seriously disappointed that my DH doesn't want to wear a tux. They were hoping to go for the all out evening wear look but my DH thinks he'll look out of place if he wears a tux. Also it's just a bit formal for his taste - he's generally more comfortable on holiday in shorts and t shirt and doesn't even like the idea of changing for dinner! So my basic question is... Are any of you guys out there - or guys accompanying you ladies - going to wear tuxes? My DH was just going to wear a shirt and tie and smart trousers - is that more what people are planning on wearing? I'm wearing a short cocktail type dress and I guess that's probably ok. Also do guys need a jacket for formal night or is the shirt and tie ok? Sorry if this has been asked a million times!
My DH and my BFF's DH are not wearing tuxes on this cruise - way too hot in the summer! They aren't bringing jackets either, just a nice dress shirt, tie and trousers. They may even forgo the tie if it's too warm. Both of us gals will be wearing nice dresses though, not too formal and not to casual - right in between.
2012: AKL-Dream to Bahamas-BLT, BWV, OKW, VBR, OKW, VBR, Dine/Dash @ SSR, Turkey Day at Vero Beach
2011: BCV-Wonder Panama Repo, SSR x 2, AKL, CSR 2010: Wonder Double Dip, CSR-Birthday Trip, YC, AKL, BC, SSR 2009: Magic to Tortola, VWL, POR, POLY, BW, 2008: Magic Eastern Caribbean, ABD Emerald Isle, WL, SSR 2007: Joined DVC 06/07, POR, DWNTWN DIS, GF, SSR 2006: Moved to FL -Yippee! POP, Westgate, POR, Christmas at AKL 2005: Magic Western Caribbean, 2004: Wonder to Bahamas, 2003: DWNTWN DIS 2002: CBR, 2001: Honeymoon @ WL 1977-1998: HS Trips, Solo and Girlie Vacations August 4, 1976: 1st of many trips to WDW!
Poppins2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #890
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think you would feel uncomfortable no matter what you wear, it is very broad range from casual to formal.

We always rent tuxes. We love to get great family photos from Shutters. Also, on a 12 night, there are lots of time for casual wear. The tux rental includes shoes, and DS and DH use them the entire cruise if they need dress shoes, saves packing size 12 and size 14 shoes! They wear the tuxes on formal and semi formal night and then at Palo.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #891
eblong
Summer in the Med!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasdisney View Post

Hi, we are staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar as well for the 2 nights prior to cruise. Flying in from Paris with 2:15pm arrival so might get Barcelona Day tours to take us on a quick tour of the city before checking in at the hotel. We might just want to hang out at the pool/beach.
We have stayed there twice before. It's a good hotel, although it is separated a bit from the fun stuff. A couple of things we learned:

There is a shopping mall across the street from the entrance. Two good Tapas places to eat at night. There is also a semi-fast-food place for lunch, and the typical mall food available as well. Breakfast was a challenge there. There are places to eat breakfast close by, but they served the Spanish breakfasts breads and sweets and stuff), not great stuff for a diabetic - too many carbs.

You can catch the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus beside the hotel. It's a great way to see the sights.

Unless they've changed things, DCL will pick up your bags from your room.

Tis time we're staying at the Renaissance Hotel because we've used up all out Hilton points and have to pay😰.
Disney Fantasy: Maiden Voyage 04/12 (WC), 12/12 (EC)

Dis Magnets at http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/...ney%20Magnets/

Photos at http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l599/ebslong/
eblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #892
jgura
Discruiser

travel

Quote:
We are on the 5:30 ATL-BCN flight with our 10 yr. old girls! See you there?

Quote:
My husband is wearing a tux.
The restaurants are usually cold, especially Animator's Palate.
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #893
disneycrazy2004
too far away from Disney....

My husband and son both wearing tux. We love to dress up for formal dinner and I love have photos of us all dressed up
Disney World-first trip-off site 2004 All Star Music-September,2007 Disney Magic-March,2008 All Star Sports-September,2008 Pop Century-August,2009 All Star Movies-December,2009 Pop Century-August,2010 All Star Music-August,2011 Caribbean Beach Resort-August,2011 Disney Magic-March,2012 Port Orleans-Riverside-August,2012 Disney Magic-Summer2013-B2B Med Cruise DVC Saratoga Springs Resort-May,2014 Old Key West-August,2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge-August,2014
disneycrazy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #894
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

Quote:
My DH and 13 year old are wearing dress pants and shirt/tie. Us girls are wearing nice dresses. My guys like shorts and shirts, so they will only be dressed up for dinner. However, we all have outfits for pirate night! (except the 13 DS - he's just rolling his eyes at us). Kelly.
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #895
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

I'm wearing a suit with a tux shirt for formal. I'll wear the same suit with a regular shirt and tie on semi-formal. My DS will wear a suit both nights.

There will be a mix of those who dress up and those who don't. To me it's part of the experience. What others wear won't effect my enjoyment. I'll be concentrating on the food.

We are out of ATL, but on the 23rd. We'll see you at Diagonal Mar on the day before the cruise sails. Hoping to do the HOHO bus. I just have 3 places to go: La Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, and la bocaria. Also, definitely have to find a place for hot chocolate and churros. I know the weather will be hot, but we're talking chocolate.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #896
lasdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblong View Post
We have stayed there twice before. It's a good hotel, although it is separated a bit from the fun stuff. A couple of things we learned:

There is a shopping mall across the street from the entrance. Two good Tapas places to eat at night. There is also a semi-fast-food place for lunch, and the typical mall food available as well. Breakfast was a challenge there. There are places to eat breakfast close by, but they served the Spanish breakfasts breads and sweets and stuff), not great stuff for a diabetic - too many carbs.

You can catch the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus beside the hotel. It's a great way to see the sights.

Unless they've changed things, DCL will pick up your bags from your room.

Tis time we're staying at the Renaissance Hotel because we've used up all out Hilton points and have to pay😰.
Good info to know especially about the HOHO bus. I thinking about that as an alternative to booking a 1/2 day tour with Barcelona Day Tours who charges per person instead of per car I know that private tours are better but after 10 days of touring London and Paris I think that we will all need to chill before the cruise. Less commitment now.

We would have preferred staying at the Renaissance but it was full both thru Disney and online.

I am also diabetic. Do hotels in Barcelona typically serve breakfasts that are heavy on carbs? Breakfast is included in our hotel fare.

DH, Me, DS (14), DS (14)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #897
lasdisney
Earning My Ears

DH has always worn a tux on formal night on every ship and he was never the only one. The boys have always worn dress shirts, ties and a vest that my girlfriend makes them. One side is formal, the other size not as much. They always get lots of positive comments about their vests so I've taken that as a sign that they are acceptable. Much cheaper than a suit with alterations and they like to wear the less formal side to school dances, etc.

Due to the suitcase size restrictions, we don't have room for our formal wear this time. All 3 of my guys will be wearing dress shirts and ties for formal night. I thought about renting tuxes on the ship but then realized that they need dress pants, shirt and tie for London/Paris before the cruise so we're just going with it.

DH, Me, DS (14), DS (14)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #898
jgura
Discruiser

la boqueria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post

We are out of ATL, but on the 23rd. We'll see you at Diagonal Mar on the day before the cruise sails. Hoping to do the HOHO bus. I just have 3 places to go: La Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, and la bocaria. Also, definitely have to find a place for hot chocolate and churros. I know the weather will be hot, but we're talking chocolate.
Have you/anyone been to La Bocaria before? Will you use the hoho to get there? It looks amazing, I want to go as well. Do you know if they allow you to take pictures of the food stands? In San Francisco I got screamed at for taking pictures at the China town market.
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #899
Pavilion 2000
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycanada View Post
Hi. I think Estats Units might be Spanish for United States and the other field is asking for your passport number. I had 2 iPads open when I did it so I could translate on one iPad and enter info on the other! I had to do that when I was booking some tours in Italy as well. I hope that is correct!! We are carrying our iPhone with us when we travel so that if we have any language barriers, we can use a translator app to help us out. I have food allergies, so I need to check out ingredients. Have fun planning. Kelly.
Kelly and Figment_Man... thanks for your responses. I was able to fill out the form and get the tickets. woo hoo... another thing done on my long list of to-dos...
Pavilion 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #900
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Never been to Barcelona before. I intend to use the HOHO. Trying to figure out which one. From my research there are two different companies???

Anyway, I was about to order the tickets on line when I read that the online reciept has to be cashed in at a specific location. So, I'm going to wait to get there and purchase the tickets then. Unless, of course, one of you more experienced travelors has a better solution. I'm bus aversive, so, I'm a little skiddish on the busses in the first place. From what I have researched, it is the best option for what we want to do and may open up other options for things we didn't even know we wanted to see until we drive past them. (Park Guell, for instance, is one of those, if we run into it, great)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: