Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #646
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran
 
Figment_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 542

Thanks everyone for the credit card answers. I think I'll chance it without the RFID. I don't really want one anyway. It is my understanding that it makes it easier to hack. Might be okay for a short trip, but not something I want to carry around all the time.

Celestine, I'll have questions about Herculaneum after your tour. I will have to wait for that one when I don't have my gremlins with me. I've been to Pompey, but they haven't. So, Pompey is what they know, and what they want to see.

I wanted to go view the rich neighborhood and discover what differences there are. Besides, I understand Herculaneum is better preserved.
__________________
Me, DW, DS (20), DD (14)
Figment_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #647
Celestine
DIS Veteran
 
Celestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 1,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Thanks everyone for the credit card answers. I think I'll chance it without the RFID. I don't really want one anyway. It is my understanding that it makes it easier to hack. Might be okay for a short trip, but not something I want to carry around all the time.

Celestine, I'll have questions about Herculaneum after your tour. I will have to wait for that one when I don't have my gremlins with me. I've been to Pompey, but they haven't. So, Pompey is what they know, and what they want to see.

I wanted to go view the rich neighborhood and discover what differences there are. Besides, I understand Herculaneum is better preserved.
Herculaneum requires much less interpretation as many buildings are fully intact & very well preserved. It has proven to be an anthropologists dream apparently & they are still discovering skeletons now. THey have also been excavating the contents of the latrines (not a job I fancy!) and have gained a great understanding of their diet which has also dismissed the myth that it was only the wealthy that had a diet rich in meat! Not sure we'll get all that detail on the trip, but if it keep the girls engaged & they learn something I can't really complain!

Celestine
__________________

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #648
cdnxpat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
It has proven to be an anthropologists dream apparently & they are still discovering skeletons now. Celestine
We didn't have enough time to do Herculaneum last year with the hike up Vesuvius and Pompeii but now you are totally making me want to go this year!

Foe those of you that have sailed (are sailing) with younger children, did you opt for the early or late dinner? In your opinion what are the benefits and drawbacks to both?
cdnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #649
Celestine
DIS Veteran
 
Celestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 1,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnxpat View Post

Foe those of you that have sailed (are sailing) with younger children, did you opt for the early or late dinner? In your opinion what are the benefits and drawbacks to both?
We opt for early dinner - my girls would otherwise fill up at the pizza place or dog house & not eat their dinner. More so with this cruise because the time difference is negligible. In the past we have found they eat their entree whilst we eat a starter & then they're back to the kids club so I get to finish my meal in peace! Wait staff are really good with this. Downside of early is potential to miss your time if you're overnight in a port or it has a late departure & your excursion doesn't time well. For late sitting kids club counsellors used to come & collect the kids (not sure if this still happens though).

Celestine
__________________

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #650
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack
 
Melcatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,749

We are early dining too - it just suits our schedule better. They wouldn't wait until 8:30pm for dinner, at home they would usually be in bed asleep by then (obviously not while on vacation) but still they need their evening meal before then! Like Celestine we often find they eat their main course while we are on appetisers and then end up in the club.

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #651
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!
 
thestewarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Thanks everyone for the credit card answers. I think I'll chance it without the RFID. I don't really want one anyway. It is my understanding that it makes it easier to hack. Might be okay for a short trip, but not something I want to carry around all the time.

Celestine, I'll have questions about Herculaneum after your tour. I will have to wait for that one when I don't have my gremlins with me. I've been to Pompey, but they haven't. So, Pompey is what they know, and what they want to see.

I wanted to go view the rich neighborhood and discover what differences there are. Besides, I understand Herculaneum is better preserved.
We did Herculaneum the last trip in 2011. Having watched the two recent programmes on Pompeii and Herculaneum it was very interesting to see the differences. The houses in Herculaneum have the second stories still on lots, in fact the roofs are on some. The wood also survived in Herculanem because of the speed of the disaster and the amount of material which was deposited.
Because the site is only partially excavated (the amphitheater and lots of the buildings are still buried under 12 metres of soil and new houses perched on top) its much more compact.
If anyone wants to know any more let us know.
I'll put some photos on the fb page if anyone is interested?
__________________
*******************************
DH , DW & DD(14)
thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #652
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61

Euros

Hi. We have booked private tours and transportation and they all want to be paid in cash. We are bringing our debit card, but there are a few days where we have tours booked on several consecutive days and there is no way we can get enough cash out of an ATM because of daily limits put on by our banks. Does anyone have any solutions short of loading upon cash in Barcelona the few days before we cruise. I really don't want walk around with a lot of cash. In the old days we would have brought travellers cheques with us, but they are not widely accepted now. Can we buy euros on the Magic if we are short? Thanks.
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #653
MeeskaMooska13
Earning My Ears
 
MeeskaMooska13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycanada View Post
Hi. We have booked private tours and transportation and they all want to be paid in cash. We are bringing our debit card, but there are a few days where we have tours booked on several consecutive days and there is no way we can get enough cash out of an ATM because of daily limits put on by our banks. Does anyone have any solutions short of loading upon cash in Barcelona the few days before we cruise. I really don't want walk around with a lot of cash. In the old days we would have brought travellers cheques with us, but they are not widely accepted now. Can we buy euros on the Magic if we are short? Thanks.
Kelly,
What I have read on another thread is that, yes, you can get euros on the ship but you need either cash or personal checks to do so. In fact, it also said you can sell back any unused euros that you have bought from them. As I understand it, they do not charge a fee and their exchange rates are decent. Hope that helps!
__________________
Me. DD14 DD13

Polynesian 2014; Coronado Springs 2013; Coronado Springs 2012; Boardwalk Inn 2005; Yacht Club 2003; Animal Kingdom Lodge 2002; Polynesian 2001; Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort 2000; Wilderness Lodge 1996; Dixie Landings 1993; Off-site 1991; Off-site 1988

Magic in the Med 2013
MeeskaMooska13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #654
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooska13 View Post
Kelly,
What I have read on another thread is that, yes, you can get euros on the ship but you need either cash or personal checks to do so. In fact, it also said you can sell back any unused euros that you have bought from them. As I understand it, they do not charge a fee and their exchange rates are decent. Hope that helps!
Thanks. Cheques would be perfect if we can't get enough euros from an ATM. Thanks. Kelly.
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #655
cdnxpat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 21

Kelly, your bank might also allow an increase in your daily limit for the duration of your trip. Another thing to keep in mind for anyone planning on using their credit cards in Europe (particularly North Americans), let your bank know which countries you are planning to visit. Sometimes when the bank sees out-of-country activity they will put a hold on your card until you call in to verify your purchases.

Thanks everyone for the input on early seating for dinner. I think we'll keep the early seating as well then. I was worried about making it back in time from shore excursions but as we've not even had our turn to book yet, I figure we'll just go with the flow.

Trying not to get too excited yet. Still so far away and the cruise will also mark the first time my DD's and I will have seen DH in almost 5 months! The down side will be saying goodbye at the end for another 2 months but we will have so many great memories to tide us over.
cdnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #656
mikeandmela
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: DFW area Texas
Posts: 44

Some questions for those that have done the diving at Dubrovnik before. I'm excited about the prospect of SCUBA diving, however Mela no longer wants to dive. Is snorkeling an option? If you pay, can you just sit on the boat? Is the water warm? Do they serve drinks on the boat? Sorry for so many questions and I'm sure others would like to hear about the diving trip. Thanks
mikeandmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #657
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!
 
thestewarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnxpat View Post
Kelly, your bank might also allow an increase in your daily limit for the duration of your trip. Another thing to keep in mind for anyone planning on using their credit cards in Europe (particularly North Americans), let your bank know which countries you are planning to visit. Sometimes when the bank sees out-of-country activity they will put a hold on your card until you call in to verify your purchases.

Thanks everyone for the input on early seating for dinner. I think we'll keep the early seating as well then. I was worried about making it back in time from shore excursions but as we've not even had our turn to book yet, I figure we'll just go with the flow.

Trying not to get too excited yet. Still so far away and the cruise will also mark the first time my DD's and I will have seen DH in almost 5 months! The down side will be saying goodbye at the end for another 2 months but we will have so many great memories to tide us over.
From experience us Europeans need to let our banks know we will be travelling to a few countries. I usually give them a call and ask them to note on file the countries we'll be visiting as we've had credit cards stopped before just because it was being used outside the UK. Long distance calls to a call centre aren't pleasant and cost a fortune! Note to self, call the card co before we go!
__________________
*******************************
DH , DW & DD(14)
thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #658
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!
 
thestewarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycanada View Post
Hi. We have booked private tours and transportation and they all want to be paid in cash. We are bringing our debit card, but there are a few days where we have tours booked on several consecutive days and there is no way we can get enough cash out of an ATM because of daily limits put on by our banks. Does anyone have any solutions short of loading upon cash in Barcelona the few days before we cruise. I really don't want walk around with a lot of cash. In the old days we would have brought travellers cheques with us, but they are not widely accepted now. Can we buy euros on the Magic if we are short? Thanks.
We've used preloadable cards before which are available in various currencies. Last time we did the Med cruise we preloaded a Euros card and were able to use it on excursions and at ATMs - might come in useful if you need another withdrawal limit in addition to your personal card. It seems to be the new travellers cheques.
__________________
*******************************
DH , DW & DD(14)
thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #659
kails26
Earning My Ears
 
kails26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsty_Lou View Post
Hi, my family and I will also be on this cruise...very excited now it's getting closer, it feels like an age since we booked it

We have 2 rooms one with DM and DD in and one with me and my DS in. Both my and my sister are older now, but we enjoy travelling with family still .

This will be my family's second Disney Cruise around the Med, however it will be my 5th. I've done 3 and 4 night Bahamas, relocation Barcelona to Dover and 7 night Med.

We are all super excited

I am Kirsty_Lou's sister!! We are all super excited!! And joining this forum has made me even more excited!!
kails26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #660
K8T
DIS Veteran
 
K8T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North West England, UK
Posts: 1,099

Hi all

Well I am surfacing from the depths of study! Starting to emerge into the real world again - one portfolio sent off, only one more to go.

I am pleased to say we have another friend joining us with her daughter who is 5, so another in the mix. I have directed her to the boards, but she will probably think we are a mad lot (as does my otherhalf!).

For those doing Herculaneum, we have done this several times now on our own with Vesuvius as well.

First time was as singles with some friends, when we found this out. Second time our daughter was 3 and didn't remember it! Third time she was 5 and desperate to go up a volcano! Herculaneum has changed a lot since the first time, they are discovering more all the time.

We get the train to Ercolano from Naples and as you come out the train station, on the left is a small company who do the minibus trips up Vesuvius. They tend to go when the next bus is full, so you rarely wait more than 10 mins or so. It is around 15/20 euros each and they take you up to the car park where the coaches stop and then wait while you walk up and back down again. I can't remember how long it took, first time we had a 3 year old, who we carried some of the time. Second time she was about 5 I think.

When we got back to the minibus, they dropped us off at the entrance to Herculaneum and said they would come and pick us up again if we wanted, to take us back to the station, it was 4 euros. We took their offer, but it is only a 10 minute walk (if that), back up to the station, but it is very hot!!!

The worst bit is getting from the ship to the train station. Most of the taxis want to take you further and, as it is first thing in the morning are holding out for a big fare. The walk along the road is horrendous. We walked it one year (never again) and got the bus the next, but it was a bit hit and miss, you can cross over the road out of the port, get a ticket at the newsagent for the bus and then the road over from the port are the bus stops.

Coming back off the train the taxis have no problem taking you back


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandmela View Post
Some questions for those that have done the diving at Dubrovnik before. I'm excited about the prospect of SCUBA diving, however Mela no longer wants to dive. Is snorkeling an option? If you pay, can you just sit on the boat? Is the water warm? Do they serve drinks on the boat? Sorry for so many questions and I'm sure others would like to hear about the diving trip. Thanks
I don't think DCL haven't stopped in Dubrovnik before, so you will probably need to speak to DCL. Yes the water is quite warm particularly for us Brits! and beautifully clear. We have been to Dubrovnik on different cruiselines and it is a lovely walled city with lots of history.

Hope this helps.
__________________
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked

Last edited by K8T; 05-07-2013 at 06:09 AM.
K8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: