Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #556
Parrot Cay
Earning My Ears

We decided to rent a pocket wifi device. For about $150, we will be able to use the internet in every port on up to 5 devices. We plan to keep our iPhone, iPad etc. in airplane mode to avoid any chance of roaming charges.
Parrot Cay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #557
rounderjd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Cay View Post
We decided to rent a pocket wifi device. For about $150, we will be able to use the internet in every port on up to 5 devices. We plan to keep our iPhone, iPad etc. in airplane mode to avoid any chance of roaming charges.
Are you using TEP or xcom global? I signed up from TEP because we'll be in Europe for about a month and that's a long time to go without Internet! I'm hoping it works as described!
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #558
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewarts View Post
I was looking at this last week and it appears this may be slightly more difficult in Italy due to their anti terrorism laws

". several spots around Milan, Venice, Bologna, Florence, Rome and other big cities are covered with free Wi-Fi access provided by the local administration, but at these and any other Wi-Fi spots around Italy, anti-terrorism laws make it obligatory to register for an access code before you can log on."

Seemingly you need an Italian mobile to register so it may be that the only places will be in France, Dubrovnik and Malta?
OK, this is news to me. Will send DH off on a research mission with colleagues at work that travel frequently & see what they come back with. If/when I get an answer I'll post it here.

We don't remove the batteries from the iphones, but do remove the sim cards which then effectively turns it into an iPod so they will only get any internet if it is free wifi. Worked well in the US at Christmas so hoping for a similar result in the summer

Celestine

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #559
Parrot Cay
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderjd View Post
Are you using TEP or xcom global? I signed up from TEP because we'll be in Europe for about a month and that's a long time to go without Internet! I'm hoping it works as described!
TEP. Hoping to avoid spending time at ports searching for Internet access.
Parrot Cay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #560
fourbryants
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Cay View Post
We too will be away for about a month and that is a great idea. I will look into it. Thanks!
2011 Disney Magic Transatlantic 14 night
2010 Disney Magic Barcelona Spain to Dover England Repositioning 7 night
2010 Disney Magic Mediterranean 10 night
fourbryants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #561
fourbryants
Earning My Ears

Have any of you booked a cruise while on the cruise. What are the benefits? Do they give you an upgrade or anything?
2011 Disney Magic Transatlantic 14 night
2010 Disney Magic Barcelona Spain to Dover England Repositioning 7 night
2010 Disney Magic Mediterranean 10 night
fourbryants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #562
Jasrhon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbryants View Post
Have any of you booked a cruise while on the cruise. What are the benefits? Do they give you an upgrade or anything?
I posted a response for you on the Facebook group but here it is again for everyone. You get a 10% discount and you pay less deposit. You also get an on board credit for up to $200 depending on the length if the cruise. You can cancel up until the cancellation deadline for a full refund or you can move it to a different date and keep the benefits. You can book up to 2 staterooms. additional staterooms get the credit but no the discount. There is no discount for concierge but you still get the OBC.
Jasrhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #563
starmaker
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenreed View Post
Hi Everyone!
Well I am back on the boards after a very long break, sorry I haven't had time to read everything that I missed but we did the cruise in 2011 along with the Stewarts and our DD's became firm friends and are looking forward to seeing each other again. We are myself, DH, DS 15, DD 13, DD 10. If it isn't too late we would love to join the FE programme and have we got a meet planned yet?
Hi Helen!

Nice to see you back on here, I only checked back in a couple of months ago but had noticed you hadn't been on for a while. G is really looking forward to meeting up with L and E again in the summer and says she will be in touch at the weekend to catch up It seems an age away that we were all on the Magic in the Med doesn't it and we're really looking forward to the trip this time around too - my brother, sister-in-law and niece are joining us which will be great. We've all signed up for the FE too and are just starting to "magic" up some gift ideas (that don't weigh too much, take up much room etc etc)

Last edited by starmaker; 04-19-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: typo
starmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #564
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

Question for anyone with a DD or DS aged 14 - will your child be going to Edge or Vibe (or neither!) my DS will be a couple of months away from his 15th birthday when we sail but I was wondering if the Vibe crowd would all be older teens in which case he might feel out of place. I would have thought he'd feel to old to be in Edge though if there was a lot of younger kids with him being at the top of that age bracket...
What do you all think?
UKSwans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #565
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSwans View Post
Question for anyone with a DD or DS aged 14 - will your child be going to Edge or Vibe (or neither!) my DS will be a couple of months away from his 15th birthday when we sail but I was wondering if the Vibe crowd would all be older teens in which case he might feel out of place. I would have thought he'd feel to old to be in Edge though if there was a lot of younger kids with him being at the top of that age bracket...
What do you all think?
Lauren will only be 13 so has no choice, however I would very much guess it depends on the friends made - if they do edge, they'll go there, if they do vibe, they'll head there instead.

Celestine

DL - 2008 & 2012
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #566
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

Also could he change his mind about which one he goes to later in the cruise or does he have to decide on day 1 and stick with it?
UKSwans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #567
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSwans View Post
What do you all think?
We are in the same boat as my DS turns 14 after the cruise. He's going to try the Edge and if he feels too old they said he can go to the Vibe. He'll probably be happy anywhere aslong as they have Xbox!
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #568
Pavilion 2000
Earning My Ears

Time for Doge palace with princess excursion?

For those who are able to book your disney excursions already, do you know what time the "Exclusive Evening Tour and Disney Royal Visit to the Doge's Palace" excursion takes place? I'm trying to figure out what we could be doing earlier in the day.
Pavilion 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #569
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilion 2000 View Post
For those who are able to book your disney excursions already, do you know what time the "Exclusive Evening Tour and Disney Royal Visit to the Doge's Palace" excursion takes place? I'm trying to figure out what we could be doing earlier in the day.
Just checked & its 7pm

Celestine

DL - 2008 & 2012
Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #570
Pavilion 2000
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post