Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #541
fourbryants
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSwans View Post
We should! They can go play video games together or something! All mine wants to know is if there'll be a PS3 or Xbox on board!
Mine too. there is definitely electronics on the ship... My sons name is Forrest, what is your sons name?
2011 Disney Magic Transatlantic 14 night
2010 Disney Magic Barcelona Spain to Dover England Repositioning 7 night
2010 Disney Magic Mediterranean 10 night
fourbryants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #542
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbryants

Mine too. there is definitely electronics on the ship... My sons name is Forrest, what is your sons name?
Mine's Cameron. He'll be delighted that there's some kind of gadgetry to keep him occupied! I never see him these days without his eyes glued to his laptop or his iPod! How he'll manage without 24/7 Facebook I just don't know! I have spotted a couple of families on this board with sons of a similar age so maybe there's a chance of them making friends! I think girls are just more outgoing and willing to be sociable in general whereas boys don't seem to want to get themselves out there!
UKSwans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #543
fourbryants
Earning My Ears

What time can we board the ship? I can't remember when we did the other times in Barcelona... It says port opens at 11 and boarding is at 1. I believe we went around 11:30 or 12.
2011 Disney Magic Transatlantic 14 night
2010 Disney Magic Barcelona Spain to Dover England Repositioning 7 night
2010 Disney Magic Mediterranean 10 night
fourbryants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #544
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mine's Cameron. He'll be delighted that there's some kind of gadgetry to keep him occupied! I never see him these days without his eyes glued to his laptop or his iPod! How he'll manage without 24/7 Facebook I just don't know! I have spotted a couple of families on this board with sons of a similar age so maybe there's a chance of them making friends! I think girls are just more outgoing and willing to be sociable in general whereas boys don't seem to want to get themselves out there!
Your FB comment made me smile as DD (13) will be the same. She was relieved to discover that most (if not all) ports will have a local wi fi cafe she can keep up to date with life at, lol! My 7 year old is worried that without FaceTime her friend will think theyre no longer friends! And to think when I was their age the biggest worry was whether we would beat the postcard home! We are not going to buy onboard internet. Previous experience has shown it to be patchy and as this is port intensive we'll just hit a coffee shop too!

Celestine

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #545
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine

Your FB comment made me smile as DD (13) will be the same. She was relieved to discover that most (if not all) ports will have a local wi fi cafe she can keep up to date with life at, lol! My 7 year old is worried that without FaceTime her friend will think theyre no longer friends! And to think when I was their age the biggest worry was whether we would beat the postcard home! We are not going to buy onboard internet. Previous experience has shown it to be patchy and as this is port intensive we'll just hit a coffee shop too!

Celestine
My 9 year old and 7 year old haven't been complaining about a lack of internet yet but maybe just because they haven't twigged that they won't have constant broadband yet! I think I'll have to suss out places with free WiFi in each port before we go otherwise Cam will lynch me! He can't go 5 minutes without 'liking' some drivel online! Truthfully I don't know how I'll manage without 24 hour Facebook either! But there's no way we're paying for onboard WiFi if it's not good value, we'll just have to wait. My mum said today that if you send/receive text messages on board you get charged extra because it's using the ships signal. Is that true?!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #546
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Currency question-Do you think they will be selling Kunas on board?

I know last time they sold euros and I think Russian currency when we did the Baltic..........
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #547
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Gee, I'm starting to feel bad. We have prepared our kids for the fact that the batteries will be removed from their devices until we are back here in the US. Trying to avoid roaming charges.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #548
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Gee, I'm starting to feel bad. We have prepared our kids for the fact that the batteries will be removed from their devices until we are back here in the US. Trying to avoid roaming charges.
I wouldn't. After all you paid a lot of money for your kids to join you on this cruise. If they wanted to spend their time on the internet or playing video games you could save a ton of cash and leave them at home.
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #549
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Quote:
My 9 year old and 7 year old haven't been complaining about a lack of internet yet but maybe just because they haven't twigged that they won't have constant broadband yet! I think I'll have to suss out places with free WiFi in each port before we go otherwise Cam will lynch me! He can't go 5 minutes without 'liking' some drivel online! Truthfully I don't know how I'll manage without 24 hour Facebook either! But there's no way we're paying for onboard WiFi if it's not good value, we'll just have to wait. My mum said today that if you send/receive text messages on board you get charged extra because it's using the ships signal. Is that true?!
There is a great cruisemates article- the guy got supremely dinged even though he had roaming turned off.
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #550
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

That's why we are removing the batteries. DW did some research and found that taking out the batteries is the easiest and most reliable way to prevent any charges.

Besides, it will be nice to disconnect from the world. DW may have more problems with it than the kids.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #551
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
That's why we are removing the batteries. DW did some research and found that taking out the batteries is the easiest and most reliable way to prevent any charges.

Besides, it will be nice to disconnect from the world. DW may have more problems with it than the kids.
Here, Here. Good for you. There are always the computers on the ship should you need to do a quick check for emails (for those business owners that have to check in every now and again). Pay by usage rather than buy a package.
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #552
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules

There is a great cruisemates article- the guy got supremely dinged even though he had roaming turned off.
Omg Id better check it out! I know that they charge us extra in mainland Europe to get phone calls and messages but I didn't think it cost extra to use the ship signal!!! Scary stuff! We might be taking our batteries out too!!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #553
Kirsty_Lou
Earning My Ears

I've never had any issues with my phone. I usually leave it switched on and I only get a signal when I'm near enough to land to get one. I do have a rubbish phone though none of this Internet stuff lol. But I've never been charged anything more than a standard international text. And I'd never answer my phone abroad unless it was an emergency.
Kirsty_Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #554
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post

Celestine
I was looking at this last week and it appears this may be slightly more difficult in Italy due to their anti terrorism laws

". several spots around Milan, Venice, Bologna, Florence, Rome and other big cities are covered with free Wi-Fi access provided by the local administration, but at these and any other Wi-Fi spots around Italy, anti-terrorism laws make it obligatory to register for an access code before you can log on."

Seemingly you need an Italian mobile to register so it may be that the only places will be in France, Dubrovnik and Malta?
thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #555
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
We went camping across the border last year to South Dakota for a week. My DS kept checking the NFL Viking news and videos on the iPad and we received a $1000 internet bill. Thank goodness they dropped it to $200. We are turning everything off this trip. We bought an international texting plan for the iPhone and will be communicating though texts only!! Kelly.
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: