Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #451
pixie3
Mouseketeer
My nick name in high school was Boof!!!
I'm sure this isn't gonna go over well, but I'd like a banana clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
We have done laundry on board & highly recommend not choosing a sea day as everyone does it then! Very early or very late tend to work well, or going to a laundry room on a deck with fewer cabins

Celestine
Ugh. DO NOT WAIT for a sea day is RIGHT! I can't do laundry on the ship. I did it twice and I just can't do it again. You fight for washers and then dryers (as they are not timed right). You have to stay around to watch your stuff. Sometimes your stuff isn't dry and you have to do it again. Once, I stayed up till 3am. There were a ton of us lined up outside in the hallway waiting to get in. I'm getting an anxiety attack just thinking about it.

Also, if you need to use the iron, do not use it before dinner (especially formal and semi-formal nights). Go at an off time.

12/01 NYE Cruise Magic, 3/04 Magic, 8/05 Magic, 3/06 Magic, 5/07 1st Transatlantic Magic, 5/08 Panama Canal Magic, 3/9 Magic, 11/09 Wonder, 6/10 1st Baltic Sea Magic, 1/11 Maiden Voyage Dream, 6/11 Alaska, 7/12 Fantasy, 7/13 Magic Europe w/Venice, 7/14 Magic Greece w/Santorini, 6/15 Norwegian Fjords
pixie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #452
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie3 View Post
Ugh. DO NOT WAIT for a sea day is RIGHT! I can't do laundry on the ship. I did it twice and I just can't do it again. You fight for washers and then dryers (as they are not timed right). You have to stay around to watch your stuff. Sometimes your stuff isn't dry and you have to do it again. Once, I stayed up till 3am. There were a ton of us lined up outside in the hallway waiting to get in. I'm getting an anxiety attack just thinking about it.

Also, if you need to use the iron, do not use it before dinner (especially formal and semi-formal nights). Go at an off time.

The bit I fail to understand is the randomness - 1 cycle in one dryer turns stuff into a crisp, whilst in others you whether you actually turned it on!

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #453
Bunless
Mouseketeer

I wash my undies in the sink (two pair of exofficio silk undies will do for a long trip for myself).

I refuse to wash DHs, he can do his own.

I also wash my gym clothing in the sink, as well as any shirts that need it.

However, I'm just doing that for one... if there were kids I think I'd send the laundry out to be done.

I was pleasantly surprised by the cost for dry cleaning and pressing. Enough that I will wait to get a couple of dresses cleaned until we get on the ship.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #454
mikeandmela
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewarts View Post
Hi Mike
Our plan is usually to pack enough clothes for just over half of our holiday. We then usually make use of the laundry on board the ship (an hour or so one evening or on a sea day). It only costs a few dollars and is charged to your room. There was quite a queue for the ironing facilities in the laundry room on formal night!
Also, on our 11 day Med cruise in 2011 we didn't book any Disney excursions and diy'd all ports ourselves. There's plenty of info on the DISboards and other websites (www.RonInRome.com is a good one). This time we've been looking at a couple of Disney tours but will mainly do our own thing as it can be done "more economically" than Disney.
I hope that helps.
Fiona
Thanks Fiona, Great information!
mikeandmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #455
mikeandmela
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcanada View Post

My husband is king of the laundry on-board! Our recent DREAM cruises let us charge the loads to our stateroom - easy!

Who has 12 pairs of underwear, anyways!?

Walt's Wife
Walt must be a great guy!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #456
mikeandmela
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post

Hi Mike,

I think maybe you looked at the Adventures By Disney add on? That is an all or nothing and is very expensive (in my opinion) The regular Disney excursions have always been an "a la carte" style, you just pick which ones appeal and book those.

You can do this online when your booking window opens (I think it is 75 days before the cruise if you have never cruised before with Disney or 90 days if you are silver castaway club member.)

You can look here: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...re-excursions/ for info on excursions, including price and duration so that you know what if anything you want to book when your booking window opens. Just select a port from the drop down menu and see what is on offer.

Hope this helps,
Mel
x
Thanks Mel!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #457
BLT1973
Earning My Ears

Just found you!!

Hi Everyone!! I just came across this thread and wanted to join in the fun!! Our group will be Rebecca (myself) , Vivian (Grandma), Chance 12 (DS), and Ava 7 (DD)
I'm bringing the family to celebrate my (gulp) 40th birthday on July 29th !YAY!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
BLT1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #458
alt
Earning My Ears

Smile hi

hello from Canada I also just found this thread we are on this trip as well myself ,wife and son (14) . we have not traveled this area yet and are looking to see if others can shed some information we have looked at the excursions but are not 100% what good and what we should see or not any ideas to us please and thanks. this is our 4 with disney and love it.
alt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #459
starmaker
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevesmum View Post
Hi pixie 3

Unfortunately I do not have enough posts to pm but would love to be included in fe list. My sister in law starmaker will be able to provide details hopefully if you require further info

Thanks
K, I've given our details today (stateroom numbers to follow as I didn't have them to hand) so, we're signed up and good to go! Hope that FE design is coming along nicely now...don't make it too good and put mine to shame
N x
starmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #460
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
hello from Canada I also just found this thread we are on this trip as well myself ,wife and son (14) . we have not traveled this area yet and are looking to see if others can shed some information we have looked at the excursions but are not 100% what good and what we should see or not any ideas to us please and thanks. this is our 4 with disney and love it.
Welcome to the madness!

There is plenty of info on a lot of the Ports from the reviews Magic cruises. Villefranche, La Spezia, Rome, Naples and Valetta were all on the cruise we, and a few others on here, did 2 years ago. Plenty to do and see but too much to put in one post. We did all of the ports on our last Med cruise on our wn, so it's easy to do, even without a word of Italian.

Let us know if there's anything in particular you need to know, I'm sure someone on the board will have an answer.

thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #461
Jasrhon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNurse19 View Post
Hello! I am booked on the cruise! Travelling with my friend. I'm very excited as I have been waiting to do this itinerary for a long time! Has/is anyone stayed/ing at the Grand Marina in Barcelona? Just wondering what it is really like!
We have stayed at the Grand Marina in 2007. Since then the price has gone up. We were thrilled with I when we stayed there. The rooms were nice and the location was excellent.
Jasrhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #462
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Welcome newcomers.
Nevesmum, alt, and BLT1973, if you need to PM somebody, just post one word posts until you get to 10.

Okay, started Rosetta Stone Italian 2 nights ago. We'll see how this goes, took 4 years of piano, can't play chopsticks, 2 years of Spanish - yeah, can't understand any of that, 1 year of French, je NO parle France' (nada). 3 years of Latin, I can still get some of that, but it has been YEARS.

Going through the excursions - again. Did it as they came out and forgot which ones I liked. But, the family gets to vote. We don't get to schedule until 4/26 (or 27).

I am getting more and more excited about this trip. I just can't wait to get on that ship again.

Celestine, that trick for laundry also works for old socks. Socks tend to take up more room too. So, throwing them out gets even more space.

I can't imagine packing enough clothes for the whole trip. I'm definitely going to do laundry. Okay, either the DW or I will do the laundry. We share that one. Now if we can just get the bartenders to service the laundry rooms.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #463
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Welcome newcomers.
Nevesmum, alt, and BLT1973, if you need to PM somebody, just post one word posts until you get to 10.

Okay, started Rosetta Stone Italian 2 nights ago. We'll see how this goes, took 4 years of piano, can't play chopsticks, 2 years of Spanish - yeah, can't understand any of that, 1 year of French, je NO parle France' (nada). 3 years of Latin, I can still get some of that, but it has been YEARS.

Going through the excursions - again. Did it as they came out and forgot which ones I liked. But, the family gets to vote. We don't get to schedule until 4/26 (or 27).

I am getting more and more excited about this trip. I just can't wait to get on that ship again.

Celestine, that trick for laundry also works for old socks. Socks tend to take up more room too. So, throwing them out gets even more space.

I can't imagine packing enough clothes for the whole trip. I'm definitely going to do laundry. Okay, either the DW or I will do the laundry. We share that one. Now if we can just get the bartenders to service the laundry rooms.
Like your thinking! Meet some of you at the laundry room where each of us can take turns at the beer run! Need to put the fun into laundry somehow! Socks? I don't bother with them at all, not required with my comfy Birkenstock sandals which will walk miles around Europe.
Fiona
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #464
Bunless
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Welcome newcomers.

Have you tried Earworms? It's on Itunes.

It works well for me since it's an audiobook and I commute about two hours a day.

I used it before I went to both Spain and Portgual and felt that I got more than my monies worth. They now have an IPad app that is even better than just the audiobook.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #465
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmaker View Post
K, I've given our details today (stateroom numbers to follow as I didn't have them to hand) so, we're signed up and good to go! Hope that FE design is coming along nicely now...don't make it too good and put mine to shame
N x
I'm currently working on our FE pocketed thingy. For a first attempt I think it's getting there so good luck Neve's Mum. I had to get the sewing machine out of storage and have it serviced it hadn't been used in so long!
Fiona

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: