Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #376
rounderjd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycanada View Post
I found this on the doge's web page. I thought I'd pass it along.

SPECIAL OPENINGS OF THE DOGE’S PALACE

It’s possibile to visit the Doge’s Palace after the closing time, sending a request at least 5 working days before the desired data, to verify the availability for an extraordinary opening of the museum.

Conditions and costs: purchase of at least 15 tickets of 55,00 euros
Excellent find -- thanks for sharing. After closing time might be a bit late but it would be a neat experience. I'm curious whether they are available to do this on the night we're in Venice or if DCL is still in the process of trying to arrange something itself!
rounderjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #377
rounderjd
Earning My Ears

Port to Venice

Does anyone know how far/difficult/expensive it is to get from the ship to the main touristy areas of Venice (and back)? The port adventure descriptions make it sound like a bit of a hassle, but I'm not at all familiar with the area and am curious as to whether it's practical to do some things on our own throughout the time we're there.
rounderjd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #378
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderjd View Post
Does anyone know how far/difficult/expensive it is to get from the ship to the main touristy areas of Venice (and back)? The port adventure descriptions make it sound like a bit of a hassle, but I'm not at all familiar with the area and am curious as to whether it's practical to do some things on our own throughout the time we're there.
I found this on Cruise Critic:

From the cruise ports: With luck, your ship will offer a complimentary water shuttle between the port facility of Venezia Terminal Passeggeri and San Marco, but if not, there are two options. Alilaguna offers water bus service from Stationze Marittima, direct from the end of the port (in front of the terminal) to San Marco. It costs about 8 euro one way or 15 roundtrip and takes about 15 minutes. Boats are scheduled every 20 minutes or so.

Another option if your ship doesn't provide a water shuttle to San Marco is to walk to the relatively new People Mover (about a 15-minute hike) that's adjacent to the port; it will take you to Piazzle Roma for about 1 euro, a major hub for water taxis and the vaportetti. Here you can get an ACTV water bus (cross the square towards a steeply-arched pedestrian bridge), which costs about 8 euro and is valid for an hour, so you can hop on and off the water buses if you want to get beyond San Marco. If you plan a lot of water bus travel, a 12-hour pass costs about 18 euro.

Tickets must be validated on all public transport. Hold the ticket against the card reader at the entrance to the bust stop.

If you're docked at San Basilio, you'll need to either take a complimentary ship shuttle (if one is offered) or hop on a port waterbus; there's a stop just outside the port gates. The charge for one-way drop-off at San Marco is about the same as you'd pay for a vaporetto ride, but you get a nonstop trip. Expect the ride to be about 20 to 30 minutes long.

Speaking of the vaporetti, Venice's fabulous public transportation system, the water buses run every 10 to 15 minutes and go just about everywhere. The cost is about 7 euro per ride, depending on where you go. If you plan to use public transportation several times, consider buying a one-day Venice Card. (there are also options for people staying for more than one day.) I bought a 48-hour pass for 28 euro on one visit and a 24-hour pass for 20 euro on another, and got my money's worth. You can buy in advance here: www.venicecard.com, or purchase a card at any ticket office (like the one at Piazzale Roma) or at shops that sell sundries. Prepare to pay cash. You can also purchase the pass onboard.

You can also hire a water taxi from the port, but it's pretty expensive; expect to pay around 60 euro to get from San Marco Square to your ship.

It's about a 25-minute stroll to San Marco, if you decide to walk. There are plenty of interesting places to stop along the way and it's pleasant and safe to walk back to the ship at night.
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #379
jkk
Earning My Ears

Add us to the list!

We are so excited! There are 4 of us: me, DH, DD(17), DD(12)

Celebrating our 20 year anniversary and enjoying an amazing family adventure before the craziness of Senior Year and getting ready for college!

Me DH DD17 DD12
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #380
K8T
DIS Veteran

Hi

Not been around for a bit, lots happening in my life, made redundant, retraining and got a new puppy, that then got very sick! Not sure which of those has been most stressful, but getting back to reality now!

For those at the Novotel, we stayed here twice before on DCL cruises, it is out of the main city, but only a very short - probably no more than 5 mins. Walk To the Metro, which is a few stops into Placa Catalyuna. At the top of Las Ramblas.

There is a shopping centre with a good supermarket over the road. Location is in the business part of the city and is safe, but I wouldn't do the metro late at night, say after 10pm, as it goes quiet. The hotel is large and modern, but the second time we stayed the rooms were a little tired. The rooftop pool area is nice, with a bar, but the pool was freezing. It closed at 6, which was no use to us, coming back from a day in town. However, it is a perfectly good hotel for the money.

Taxi from the airport was around 35 euros for three of us, but I will check that, we also got together with others on the meet thread who were staying there, to book a minibus to the ship.

Last time we stayed at AC diplomat, now the Marriott, which was really convenient to town, but their prices have doubled, so not sure what we are doing now, keeping looking!

Venice, is walkable, you can walk from the ship, which is an interesting walk, all flat! Usually there is a shuttle bus laid on for a few euros, don't feel pressured to doing an excursion, because Venice is one of the easiest places to get around. The vaporetti, are easy and cheap to use, just walking is an experience. Not easy with a pushchair, as we found out, going up and down Ll the little bridges, but doable.

We have done all the stops before, on various cruises in the past, so if you want to know anything, please ask. We nearly always DIY!

Thanks for doing the FE, I have done them in the past and appreciate the work involved. I will Pm you with details, but it would be useful to have it posted on the boards, to help with keeping track of numbers and ages.

Back soon.
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked
K8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #381
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk View Post
We are so excited! There are 4 of us: me, DH, DD(17), DD(12)

Celebrating our 20 year anniversary and enjoying an amazing family adventure before the craziness of Senior Year and getting ready for college!
Welcome to the DISboards. We will also be celebrating our 20th anniversary, one week before we set sail. Our daughter will just have turned 13 on the cruise and is so excited. Hope to see you there, Fiona
thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #382
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Looks like there is quite a crowd of 12-14 year old girls - looks like I'll be showering in the gym so I can actually get in to a shower, lol!

Celestine

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #383
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
Looks like there is quite a crowd of 12-14 year old girls - looks like I'll be showering in the gym so I can actually get in to a shower, lol!

Celestine
LOL! See you there, Celestine, along with the other mums of teenagers!
Fiona
Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #384
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

My almost 14 yr old ds will be happy!
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #385
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

newbies to DCL!

Hi everyone! Found my way here eventually! Count us in for this cruise, first ever cruise for my DH and kids and first Disney cruise for all of us...so excited after visiting WDW in 2008 and 2011.
There'll be 7 of us:
Me (Marie) DH (Alex), DS (Cameron, 14), DD (Holly, 9), DD (Madeleine, 7) and my parents, (Jeff and Eileen). We're from Northumberland, UK - I see there's a few Scottish cruisers already on the board so not too far from us! can't remember our exact stateroom numbers but we're on Deck 6 somewhere!
UKSwans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #386
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSwans View Post
Hi everyone! Found my way here eventually! Count us in for this cruise, first ever cruise for my DH and kids and first Disney cruise for all of us...so excited after visiting WDW in 2008 and 2011.
There'll be 7 of us:
Me (Marie) DH (Alex), DS (Cameron, 14), DD (Holly, 9), DD (Madeleine, 7) and my parents, (Jeff and Eileen). We're from Northumberland, UK - I see there's a few Scottish cruisers already on the board so not too far from us! can't remember our exact stateroom numbers but we're on Deck 6 somewhere!
Welcome! Not Scottish, but English. I have to say it is nice to see so many Brits on the cruise

Celestine

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #387
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

I wasn't sure if there would be a mix of nationalities but it looks like there will!

My DD (Holly - 9) is still a bit worried about going to the kids activities so I thought if I got involved on this board it might reassure her that other people her age will be there - I never thought she'd be shy but it seems she is!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #388
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSwans View Post
I wasn't sure if there would be a mix of nationalities but it looks like there will!

My DD (Holly - 9) is still a bit worried about going to the kids activities so I thought if I got involved on this board it might reassure her that other people her age will be there - I never thought she'd be shy but it seems she is!
Welcome the swans, from part of the Scottish contingent . Our daughter was never out of the clubs last year and there always seemed plenty planned for them to do. She had a better social life on board than the adults
We arranged for her to meet with three other girls from the board and she had a ball.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #389
UKSwans
Earning My Ears

I've told her that if she gives the clubs a chance she'll have an amazing time - hopefully she'll make loads of friends. Her sister Maddy (7) is really keen to go...she's looking forward to staying out late at pyjama parties and movie nights! I thought it would be ideal for them to go together but for some reason Holly doesn't want to hang around with her little sister! Not sure if DS will be keen on going to Vibe. He's almost 15 and they aren't very forthcoming at that age! I hope he will make some friends - I have visions of him sitting in the stateroom ordering room service and watching tv 24/7!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #390
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie3 View Post
I think the Baltic Sea Cruise spoiled me. I was kind of hoping for a ball at the Doge's Palace.
Is this not the kind of thing you wanted: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...-doges-palace/

Not a ball as such but a reception with princesses combined with a tour.

I did wonder if they would manage to pull off a masquerade ball in Venice though.

Mel
x

Last edited by Melcatfish; 03-06-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: