Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #226
jgura
Discruiser

Starwood hotels

Disneymomjen - haha, where will you stay this time?

Pavillion - After our last post I went online and actually booked the W. I think being so far out they have not raised the prices yet. I think the points requirement was not bad either. You might want to take a look. That being said, after my research, the customer service at the W sounds no different than the Le Meridien. I think in the US we just get our booties kissed anytime there is the slightest issue.

According to the photos, my kids should be able to sleep on the sofa/bench at the W and it is on the beach. However, we'll need a cab to get us off the property. (I will not ripped off)
At the Le Meridien you can walk to many cool things.
Both hotels have the awkward glass bathroom walls. Beware at the Meridien, the apartments across the narrow street are in plane sight. We saw many people scantily dressed who you wished you'd never seen. My kids thought it was funny though.

I'm not sure about the Four Points, I'll have to look.

Jill
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #227
bitocas
Mouseketeer

hi!
the hotels that are recomended by disney are Hilton Dioagonal Mar,and the Renessaince Barcelona.
7 night med cruise 30 aug-6 sep 2014
bitocas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #228
DisneyMomJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgura View Post
Disneymomjen - haha, where will you stay this time?
Not sure yet. I have not done much research for this cruise yet since I was focused on our Alaskan cruise we went on this past August and DH is saying he is not sure if he wants to do this Med cruise since he has been to Venice already! No one else in our family has. We have to talk more.

The Le Meridien was a Disney recommended hotel. The hotel itself was fine and I got a great price through priceline (or a website like that). We were even able to check in for the cruise at the hotel since it was a Disney hotel. That was a good convenience.
DisneyMomJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #229
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

I threw in the towel last week and scheduled our flights and land transfers through Disney.

DW and DD are going on the Dream in December. DW scheduled the flights through Spirit Airlines and got a really good price. They have now cancelled the flights and rescheduled them at different times. DW is working with them now to reconfigure her hotel and transfers due to the change. I know I paid a premium for scheduling through Disney for the Med, but at least we shouldn't have this type of headache.

I also put us on a waiting list for an overnight in Barcelona. We'll see how this goes.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #230
jakenick
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone!

We will be on the cruise too. We have three boys, ages 13, 11, and 9 and total 6 (including myself, my husband, and his mom).
jakenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #231
Pavilion 2000
Earning My Ears

DisneyMomJen, did you make reservations for a private car service company to take you to the airport? We'll need transportation to/from airport and was wondering if it would be better to hire a car service rather than just taking a taxi. Since they're going to rip me off anyway, might as well pay the same price for a more comfortable, relaxed ride..

jgura, I'll look into the W. Although, this is our first time in Barcelona and we plan to do a little bit of sightseeing. We're only going to be there 2 days before we sail (we get in Tuesday morning and ship sails on Thursday). We liked the location of the Le Meridien because we figured on the first day, we would just walk around Las Ramblas and take it all in. The second day, we would take the hop on/hop off bus to go to the different sites. I'm even thinking of maybe attending a Flemenco dinner/show one of those nights. For a Category 5 hotel, you would expect better service.

bitocas, thanks for the info on the Disney recommended hotels. So there's only 2 right now huh. I have enough points for one night at the Renaissance but that won't be enough. Oh well...

Figment Fan, sorry you're having to already deal with flight changes.

For those who've been to Barcelona before, is there a good hotel by the airport that you would recommend? Because of the flight schedules, we're staying an extra after the cruise. Right now we have Le Meridien booked that night too but not sure if it would be better to be closer to the airport since we have an early morning flight the next day. Although we will have a whole day, practically, to hang out in the city on the day back from the cruise. Ahhhh, decisions, decisions...

Welcome to all others who've just joined this cruise.
Pavilion 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #232
bitocas
Mouseketeer

port adventures in venice

the disney parks blogs,just realease a sneak peek for the port aventures,in venice.sounds fun!
7 night med cruise 30 aug-6 sep 2014
bitocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #233
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitocas View Post
the disney parks blogs,just realease a sneak peek for the port aventures,in venice.sounds fun!
Hmmm. We did the Baltics cruise where there was a similar evening trip to St Catherine's Palace - sadly way beyond my budget, and I'm guessing this will be too

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #234
K8T
DIS Veteran

I have just booked our flights with Monarch and found that they don't fly out the day before, so we will have to have two nights in Barcelona now (shame!). Easyjet haven't got their dates out for July, but to be honest, don't think we would risk them.

If anyone else is booking with Monarch, use the code GETAWAY and it gives a £20 discount.

Now looking for hotels - honestly it never stops this holiday planning, still in full Florida mode!!!

Celestine, we don't book any DCL trips, most of the Med. ports really are easy to do on your own.
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked
K8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #235
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8T View Post
I have just booked our flights with Monarch and found that they don't fly out the day before, so we will have to have two nights in Barcelona now (shame!). Easyjet haven't got their dates out for July, but to be honest, don't think we would risk them.

If anyone else is booking with Monarch, use the code GETAWAY and it gives a £20 discount.

Now looking for hotels - honestly it never stops this holiday planning, still in full Florida mode!!!

Celestine, we don't book any DCL trips, most of the Med. ports really are easy to do on your own.
I agree about trips. On the baltics the only DCL tours we did were in Russia because of ease with visas etc. On the Panama canal the only one we did was in Colombia (thought it was the safest way to visit that port). The Doges palace sounds great, and an opportunity to see it without rushing with hoards of tourists is appealing, but the cost will I'm sure be prohibitive, so it will be join the masses for us!

Waiting to book our flights until after our Xmas holiday when we will have enough airmiles for all 4 of us

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #236
K8T
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
I agree about trips. On the baltics the only DCL tours we did were in Russia because of ease with visas etc. On the Panama canal the only one we did was in Colombia (thought it was the safest way to visit that port). The Doges palace sounds great, and an opportunity to see it without rushing with hoards of tourists is appealing, but the cost will I'm sure be prohibitive, so it will be join the masses for us!

Waiting to book our flights until after our Xmas holiday when we will have enough airmiles for all 4 of us
Us too, although I have been to Venice several times and Doges twice. Not sure what we will be doing, loved going over to Murano, felt like a real adventure.

We just used all our airmiles up going to DLP on Eurostar, always kept trying to spend them on Barcelona flights, but anytime we wanted to go, the flight wasn't available, so best of luck with that one!
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked
K8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #237
GA-yaya
Mouseketeer

Hi Everyone!

We just booked this cruise while onboard the Dream. I'm sooo excited!

We are Peggy, Roger (DH), and our 2 college-age kids Sean & Erin. We got a separate room for them - a small price for our sanity! We told them they would be in steerage and would have to shovel coal as part of the room deal.

We have sailed on the Magic for a 10-night Med cruise in 2010 (fabulous), and on the 2011 WBTA (even more fabulous). So we are definitely looking forward to this cruise. Very happy to be getting to spend some time in Venice and Dubrovnik - also, Malta was one of our favorites!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

GA-yaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #238
GA-yaya
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar to past 2 times we have been in Barcelona. It is a beautiful hotel, but it's a little out of the way. If you don't mind taking the Metro or a taxi in to the town center, it's a great place.

We will be staying there again.

GA-yaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #239
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA-yaya View Post
We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar to past 2 times we have been in Barcelona. It is a beautiful hotel, but it's a little out of the way. If you don't mind taking the Metro or a taxi in to the town center, it's a great place.

We will be staying there again.
We have stayed at the Diagnol Mar as well in 2007 and it is a nice hotel. The rates for 2013 from DCL are good compared to what I can book on my own, so we can use the money we save to use taxis or other transportation if we need it.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #240
Bunless
Mouseketeer

We're In! Dh and I just booked... so excited. I have a big grin on my face.

Doingitagain... I think we talked to you on this year's Alaska cruise. At the DisMeet we talked about the Mediterranean cruise. DH is the guy with a bald head and all the tatoos... aka the guy who waited until the morning of to pack.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: