Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

Will the points I already have on my Disney Visa transfer over to the new card or will I have to redeem them. Saving them for a trip in 2014 so don't want to have to redeem them now.
yankebabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

How do I see the annual statement. I just looked at my account but only find a monthly statement.

I am not sure it will benefit us to upgrade. And not sure that I want to have a card with a fee. I am pretty anti-fee.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankebabie View Post
Will the points I already have on my Disney Visa transfer over to the new card or will I have to redeem them. Saving them for a trip in 2014 so don't want to have to redeem them now.
If you upgrade from the regular Visa, the card number remains the same and your points carry over. Your new card will have a new expiration date and new 3 digit verification code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
How do I see the annual statement. I just looked at my account but only find a monthly statement.

I am not sure it will benefit us to upgrade. And not sure that I want to have a card with a fee. I am pretty anti-fee.
We weren't crazy about the fee either, but since we spend well above the amount needed to cover the $49 we decided to upgrade. As for the year end statement, IF you have one it will be listed at the bottom of the page after you click "see statements". The first page of my year end statement said that it was done as a courtesy for charging so much on the card, so perhaps you did not spend enough for them to do it for you. Not sure if everyone got one or not.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there's an additional application process or does one just agree to the annual fee and transfer to the new card?

I'm asking b/c I'm a SAHM and was able to get the regular Disney Visa 2 years ago but now new credit card rules claim you have to have personal income to be approved for a CC (at least that's what my local news station reported). Basically, I'm nervous about having to re-apply for this new card.

TIA!
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
disney4rfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
For anyone who is interested, you can look at your year-end summary online. It breaks your spending down by months and also by categories. Just choose "see statements" and then scroll to the bottom of the page for "Year End Summary". Choose the year you want to look at. My 2011 summary was 14 pages long!

It doesn't look like it will be worth it for me to upgrade the card. I only spent about half of what I would have needed to spend in the select categories during 2011. But for anyone who is giving the premier card a hard look, this little tool might help you with your decision.
Thanks - this was a great suggestion. I was unsure whether the Premier card would be worth it for us but after looking at our year end summary I see that we will more than recoup the $49 annual fee. However, I think I will wait to upgrade until closer to our June WDW trip when I can get the 5% for those expenses.
disney4rfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post
Does anyone know if there's an additional application process or does one just agree to the annual fee and transfer to the new card?

I'm asking b/c I'm a SAHM and was able to get the regular Disney Visa 2 years ago but now new credit card rules claim you have to have personal income to be approved for a CC (at least that's what my local news station reported). Basically, I'm nervous about having to re-apply for this new card.

TIA!
I have never heard of that new rule. I am also a SAHM mom, but our Visa is in my name. When I upgraded last night, it just asked for the last 4 digits of my card, my zip code and one other thing (last name, whole name--not sure). Then it brought up my name and my DH (authorized user) and asked which card design(s) we wanted. That was basically it. It said the card should be here within a couple of weeks.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #22
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

i did look at the info on the chase site... i didnt see anywhere where it mentioned 5% for the first three months.... does everyone who transfers get that deal? i also buy all my grocerys at target, but on my year end statement target is listed under grocerys , but of course i just got the red debit card.. we also buy all our gas at costco on our amex for 3% back... even still i spent 4-5,000 depending on travel last year in these cats combined... would it be worth it for me to get the new card?? what is the break even point for the catergories? thanks!!!

also do you just call and request new card? so when you transfer over you pay 49 and then you get 100 bonus disney dollars??? sorry it was hard to understand..is it the same account and credit limit etc, not a new account right?

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4rfamily View Post
Thanks - this was a great suggestion. I was unsure whether the Premier card would be worth it for us but after looking at our year end summary I see that we will more than recoup the $49 annual fee. However, I think I will wait to upgrade until closer to our June WDW trip when I can get the 5% for those expenses.
Just make sure you upgrade prior to April 30th. Signing up after that date will no longer get you the 3 months of 5% rewards.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
i did look at the info on the chase site... i didnt see anywhere where it mentioned 5% for the first three months.... does everyone who transfers get that deal? i also buy all my grocerys at target, but on my year end statement target is listed under grocerys , but of course i just got the red debit card.. we also buy all our gas at costco on our amex for 3% back... even still i spent 4-5,000 depending on travel last year in these cats combined... would it be worth it for me to get the new card?? what is the break even point for the catergories? thanks!!!

also do you just call and request new card? so when you transfer over you pay 49 and then you get 100 bonus disney dollars??? sorry it was hard to understand..is it the same account and credit limit etc, not a new account right?
Just go to www.disneyrewards.com and click on "learn more" on the right side of the page. At the bottom of the side by side comparison of the two card types, there is an "upgrade" button. Click that and follow the steps (this is the page that lists the 5% info). It took about 5 minutes to upgrade.

The $100 bonus is for new card accounts only. Upgrading will be your same card#, but a different exp. date and 3 digit verification code.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
disney4rfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Just make sure you upgrade prior to April 30th. Signing up after that date will no longer get you the 3 months of 5% rewards.
Thanks - I will. I am planning to do it at the beginning of April as that will take us through our trip at the end of June.

I can't wait to get a card with the new designs!
disney4rfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

The hardest decision for me was which new card design to choose! I'm so used to my red Mickey Ears Disney VISA (I also have a 2nd one with Tink on it, different account)...but I chose the pink swirly design for the Premier card. I kept the classic red Mickey Ears one for DH. I figured he wouldn't want to whip out a pink credit card & that might deter him from using it LOL!

Smitch425 I guess we're the guinea pigs for this new card - hopefully we'll see some great points from it!

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
marie1203
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
I've been watching this for awhile now. I wonder if the 5% bonus in certain categories for your 1st 3 months is the best intro offer they're going to do, or should I wait & hold out for something better?

I'm almost embarrassed to say that we put over 6 figures on our Disney VISA every year. We charge EVERYTHING. We are fortunate enough to be able to pay it off each month, so in Disney's eyes, they're not making a dime off of us, yet paying us lots of rewards points. I wonder if never having paid interest on it will affect us being able to even qualify for the upgrade?

I also had to chuckle at some of the stores & how they were categorized on my year-end statement (thank you Marionette for how to look it up!). We had some huge home improvement purchases last year for a remodel & replacement windows & doors, yet they fall into regular shopping, not home improvement.

I'm thinking I will go ahaed & apply for the upgrade. With 2 Disney trips coming up in the next 3 months, I think that would be smart for me since purchases at "Disney locations that are solely owned and operated by Disney" are in the 5% points bonus. I was planning to use my current Rewards points to buy tickets for the kids & DH (I have an AP) but now may re-think that, and use the Disney VISA to get more points. I can save all the points then for use at a later date. Hmmm I have to renew my AP in the next 3 months as well - I'm assuming that will be included in the 5% bonus category...decisions decisions!
We pay it off every month too and didn't have a problem upgrading. I mean not sure why would will think that it would matter. Considering now they will at least make $49 from you.

Last edited by marie1203; 01-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
marie1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #28
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
We charge about $45,000+ per year to our Disney card, so we will benefit from the new card tremendously.
Not necessarily. You will only benefit from the new card if more than $4,900 of your annual charges you would have used the Disney Visa for are in those select categories.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Not necessarily. You will only benefit from the new card if more than $4,900 of your annual charges you would have used the Disney Visa for are in those select categories.
We charged over $4000 in gas and $8000 in dining last year. Plus we do an annual Disney trip and other stuff in the categories. We will benefit greatly from the new card. I wish it would come already! Hurry up mail! LOL!

Last edited by smitch425; 01-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
MichelleB
DIS Veteran

We upgraded! We earn more than the $49 each year now and use our disney visa for everything and then pay it off each month. We'll recoup way more than the $49 fee.

I read somewhere that the benefits kick in 3 days after you upgrade. Does anyone know if this is true? Since we keep the same account number I can see how that would be. Not sure though if we have to activate the new card before it takes effect. Anyone????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: