Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Disney Premier Visa card- anyone upgrading?

A few months ago there was a thread on here about a survey from Disney Visa asking about a new Disney Visa that had an annual fee of $49 but has 2% earnings in certain categories and use can use the Disney rewards for airline tickets.

I was on my Chase account today and noticed that the card is now available and you could upgrade your current card.

I read the terms but didn't see anything about getting anything on your anniversary each year(the option was mentioned on the survey) like with the Southwest card there is an annual fee but you get 3000 points on your anniversary date each year. Did I miss this in the terms or is there nothing like that?

Sorry if there is another thread like this. I didn't see it anywhere
Is anyone upgrading? Just curious as to why or why not.. I haven't decided yet, but am considering it.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

We were just discussing the Premier Visa on this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post43845314

Summary: the added value of upgrading to Premier (essentially buying a $100** Disney Gift Card for $49 each year) does not outweigh the added benefits above 1% cash back that cards like the Chase Freedom gives you.

I am sticking with Chase Freedom.

**$100 Disney Gift Card based on spending $10,000 per year at grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, and at certain Disney stores at the parks.

Last edited by ValpoCory; 01-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the link. I did peek at that thread before I posted but it must have been awhile ago, before anyone mentioned the new card.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
smitch425
DIS Veteran

That other thread was a bit all over the place, so I'm posting here

I upgraded to the new card today. I can't wait to earn extra rewards!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I don't think I will upgrade. My groceries are all bought at Target, which they don't classify as grocery, plus I get 5% off with my red card. My gas is all bought with my AMEX at Costco, so I dont' think I would spend enough on other items in the double rewards category to make it worth it. I sure do love the designs though, and wish I could have the Sorcerer Mickey one!!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

I'm in the process of evaluating whether it will be worth it for us. I need to take a look at the last 12 months of purchases to see if we even meet the $4900 break-even point in the bonus spending categories. It would be a no-brainer if we spent that much in Disney vacations every year, but the last few trips have been paid using GCs and rewards dollars. The ability to use the points for airfare is not enough of an incentive for us since we also have the Southwest card and a Diner's Club card that allows us to do the same thing.

I suppose that as Platinum Cards go, $49/year is a pretty good deal. But not everyone qualifies. Plus we already have Platinum Cards with other accounts.

So for us, it's going to come down to whether we can recoup the $49 we'd have to put out annually. I'm thinking that without an annual bonus or broader categories, the answer is going to be no.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
I'm in the process of evaluating whether it will be worth it for us. I need to take a look at the last 12 months of purchases to see if we even meet the $4900 break-even point in the bonus spending categories. It would be a no-brainer if we spent that much in Disney vacations every year, but the last few trips have been paid using GCs and rewards dollars. The ability to use the points for airfare is not enough of an incentive for us since we also have the Southwest card and a Diner's Club card that allows us to do the same thing.

I suppose that as Platinum Cards go, $49/year is a pretty good deal. But not everyone qualifies. Plus we already have Platinum Cards with other accounts.

So for us, it's going to come down to whether we can recoup the $49 we'd have to put out annually. I'm thinking that without an annual bonus or broader categories, the answer is going to be no.
I posted this in the other thread, but just in case you missed it, you only have to spend $2450 in those categories to recoup the fee. You get 2% back not 1%.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
marie1203
DIS Veteran

I know we spend more than what we need to recoup in gas a year and I do play with other credit cards when the offer better deals my BOA visa offers the same 5% in different categories like chase freedom but sometimes that are categories we don't use. I think what is going to happen is we will upgrade DH card and use that to get 2% back.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but just in case you missed it, you only have to spend $2450 in those categories to recoup the fee. You get 2% back not 1%.
You get 1% back without having to upgrade the card. That means that you are only getting an "extra" 1% back with the premier card, and only in those categories. Your math would be correct if you were comparing the premier card to having no rewards card at all. But when you compare the regular Disney Visa to the upgraded card, you should only consider the extra 1% in your calculations.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
marie1203
DIS Veteran

I just upgraded after adding up what we spend in restaurants and gas it makes a difference for us. Also I should add that they are offering 5% back for the first three months in those categories that you usually would get 2%.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
You get 1% back without having to upgrade the card. That means that you are only getting an "extra" 1% back with the premier card, and only in those categories. Your math would be correct if you were comparing the premier card to having no rewards card at all. But when you compare the regular Disney Visa to the upgraded card, you should only consider the extra 1% in your calculations.
I hadn't thought of it in that respect. Still a small price to pay for the bonus it will give our family. We charge about $45,000+ per year to our Disney card, so we will benefit from the new card tremendously.

Also, when I upgraded it did say that the new card will have a new expiration date and verification code, and to be sure to update any automatic payments that you might have scheduled. I guess the actual card number will remain the same. Both DH and I picked the Sorcerer Mickey design. I can't wait for our new cards to get here!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
savannahcat
DIS Veteran

The balance on our June Cruise with DCL is due in March. If we upgrade to this card and use it to pay off our balance, will we earn 5% back on that balance since it would be charged in the first 90 days after upgrade? If so, this would definitely be worth it for us.

1985/1990 - Offsite * 9/1996 - All Star Sports * 11/2004 - Embassy Suites * 2/2005 - Embassy Suites * 4/2005 - Embassy Suites * 5/2005 - Embassy Suites * 10/2005 - Embassy Suites * 12/2006 - Windsor Hills * 5/2007 - Windsor Hills *10/2007 - Windsor Hills * 11/2008 - Windsor Hills * 1/2009 - Windsor Hills * 7/2009 - Swan * 10/2009 - Emerald Island * 6/2010 - AKV * 1/2011 - Barefoot'n in the Keys Resort * 6/2011 - AKV/Indian Creek * 6/2012 - Disney Dream * 6/2012 - BWV * 1/2013 Regal Oaks * 6/2013 BWV/SSR * 11/2013 BWV
savannahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I hadn't thought of it in that respect. Still a small price to pay for the bonus it will give our family. We charge about $45,000+ per year to our Disney card, so we will benefit from the new card tremendously.

Also, when I upgraded it did say that the new card will have a new expiration date and verification code, and to be sure to update any automatic payments that you might have scheduled. I guess the actual card number will remain the same. Both DH and I picked the Sorcerer Mickey design. I can't wait for our new cards to get here!
Wow! You do put a lot on your card! I'm sure that you will get quite a bit of use from the premier version.

For anyone who is interested, you can look at your year-end summary online. It breaks your spending down by months and also by categories. Just choose "see statements" and then scroll to the bottom of the page for "Year End Summary". Choose the year you want to look at. My 2011 summary was 14 pages long!

It doesn't look like it will be worth it for me to upgrade the card. I only spent about half of what I would have needed to spend in the select categories during 2011. But for anyone who is giving the premier card a hard look, this little tool might help you with your decision.

One thing that I did learn was that the Target store in Delaware is listed in groceries but the one in PA is not. And for some reason, the wine store that my husband shops at shows up in the dining category even though they don't serve food there.

Other interesting categories:
  • PetcareRx.com is considered to be a drug store.
  • A local Hallmark Store comes up under Entertainment and Recreation
  • FTD is considered Home Improvement & Landscaping
  • ADT security payments are not under Utilities, they are considered "other", but my cable bill is a utility.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I've been watching this for awhile now. I wonder if the 5% bonus in certain categories for your 1st 3 months is the best intro offer they're going to do, or should I wait & hold out for something better?

I'm almost embarrassed to say that we put over 6 figures on our Disney VISA every year. We charge EVERYTHING. We are fortunate enough to be able to pay it off each month, so in Disney's eyes, they're not making a dime off of us, yet paying us lots of rewards points. I wonder if never having paid interest on it will affect us being able to even qualify for the upgrade?

I also had to chuckle at some of the stores & how they were categorized on my year-end statement (thank you Marionette for how to look it up!). We had some huge home improvement purchases last year for a remodel & replacement windows & doors, yet they fall into regular shopping, not home improvement.

I'm thinking I will go ahaed & apply for the upgrade. With 2 Disney trips coming up in the next 3 months, I think that would be smart for me since purchases at "Disney locations that are solely owned and operated by Disney" are in the 5% points bonus. I was planning to use my current Rewards points to buy tickets for the kids & DH (I have an AP) but now may re-think that, and use the Disney VISA to get more points. I can save all the points then for use at a later date. Hmmm I have to renew my AP in the next 3 months as well - I'm assuming that will be included in the 5% bonus category...decisions decisions!

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahcat View Post
The balance on our June Cruise with DCL is due in March. If we upgrade to this card and use it to pay off our balance, will we earn 5% back on that balance since it would be charged in the first 90 days after upgrade? If so, this would definitely be worth it for us.
I would assume so - since anything purchased on the card from "Disney locations that are solely owned and operated by Disney" count. I hope so, I'm hoping the balances due on my 2 upcoming March trips will count towards the 5% bonus.

Did everyone see the airline rewards? They're very different. I'm not sure it's even really a perk. You charge your airline tickets on the card, for any airline, any destination, any dates. Then within 60 days you go in your statement & request that your Reward points be used to pay that purchase (you must have a minimum of 50 Rewards points in your account to utilize it). I mean, yes it's an advantage to be able to use your points for something other than Disney, but it's not a perk I really see myself using. Even when I have a lot of points I can always use them for something Disney. I guess it will help for a time when I don't have a Disney trip planned, yet need airfare for something else (oh the horror - a flight somewhere other than MCO?!?!?!?!)

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: