Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #991
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Copied this message from the DISboard forum in case you haven't seen it:

"We've been asked to share the following letter that DCL will start delivering to guests in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
PEte

Dear Guests,

We are glad that you have joined us aboard the Disney (Choose Ship)!

As you may be aware, it is important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests. As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that you do not affix anything to your stateroom door utilizing tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives. We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on our stateroom doors; therefore we ask that you limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim.

Guests found with damaged doors are assessed a $100 damage fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

Your attention to this matter will greatly assist us in keeping our shipboard environment looking ship-shape. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Guest Services, Deck 3 Mid-ship.

If interested, magnetic door decorations are available for purchase in our merchandise area. For your convenience, magnetic strips are also available at Guest Services.

We appreciate your cooperation and hope you have an enjoyable sailing.

Sincerely, "
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #992
Pengwend
Mouseketeer

Email sent!

Ok, I've emailed about getting in on the possible 3rd FE and Secret Mickey. I hope the 3rd FE happens because I've had 2 years to come up with ideas! I will dig up the navigators and such and scan them this weekend.

26 May 2011 | Wedding Pavilion, Narcoossee's, Italy Isola West
Pengwend is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #993
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengwend View Post
Hi Everyone!

I just sent approval to our travel agent to charge us for this cruise! My husband and I have been trying to figure out which sailing we could make for this summer, and of course it ended up being the sailing closest to now!

I haven't even gotten confirmation yet, but I already booked our flights, so we better be all set... I see that FE is closed But looks like there might be a possibility of a third? group? I'd love to join in on that. We did an 11-night Med cruise with DCL for our honeymoon and LOVED it. This will actually be our 4th cruise with DCL and we've done FE every time! If we can't do that, I'd still love to do Secret Mickey, so I'll PM about that. SUPER excited. I also have all the documents from our Honeymoon cruise (Personal Navigators, port info etc.) which I could scan in over the weekend if anyone is interested. We hit some other ports which wouldn't be pertinent to this shorter cruise, but I could sort out the ones that would be overlaps.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #994
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, I've emailed about getting in on the possible 3rd FE and Secret Mickey. I hope the 3rd FE happens because I've had 2 years to come up with ideas! I will dig up the navigators and such and scan them this weekend.
Maybe there will be some people who are in group 1 and/or 2 who will want to be added to 3. I just finished my FE's but could make a few more. I'll send an e-mail asking if I can be added. Could you give us the FE info: DISboard name, Stateroom #, Number of Cabins traveling together, name and relationship of adults, name and relationship of children, ages, location, favorite characters. Val
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #995
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Does someone have a good "To Do" list for before we all leave for this trip? We have 3 weeks of itinerary (1 week before and 1 week after) and so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. So far I've:

1. Double checked passports & exp dates
2. Emailed private tour operators to re-confirm dates, times
3. Emailed hotels w/special requests
4. Double checked DCL requests, etc.
5. Ordered Euros.

I still have to book some transfers for the various cities we're going to, print out confs, put money in Tip Envelopes, and do a billion other things.

I'm hoping someone here has a list so that I can double check in case I miss something. I know us DIS'ers are super organized so I would love a list/ideas. Thanks!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #996
Arushy1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I just sent approval to our travel agent to charge us for this cruise! My husband and I have been trying to figure out which sailing we could make for this summer, and of course it ended up being the sailing closest to now!

I haven't even gotten confirmation yet, but I already booked our flights, so we better be all set... I see that FE is closed But looks like there might be a possibility of a third? group? I'd love to join in on that. We did an 11-night Med cruise with DCL for our honeymoon and LOVED it. This will actually be our 4th cruise with DCL and we've done FE every time! If we can't do that, I'd still love to do Secret Mickey, so I'll PM about that. SUPER excited. I also have all the documents from our Honeymoon cruise (Personal Navigators, port info etc.) which I could scan in over the weekend if anyone is interested. We hit some other ports which wouldn't be pertinent to this shorter cruise, but I could sort out the ones that would be overlaps.
Hi welcome yeah I am glad someone else is late to join the fE, if u go to page 1 on this thread there is info and a email address. Xx alisha
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #997
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

Quote:
I have received your email

Arushy, I have also received your email.

A few people from the other groups have volunteered to join the third group as well to add some more people to the group for you both
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #998
F2superstar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Copied this message from the DISboard forum in case you haven't seen it:

"We've been asked to share the following letter that DCL will start delivering to guests in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
PEte

Dear Guests,

We are glad that you have joined us aboard the Disney (Choose Ship)!

As you may be aware, it is important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests. As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that you do not affix anything to your stateroom door utilizing tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives. We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on our stateroom doors; therefore we ask that you limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim.

Guests found with damaged doors are assessed a $100 damage fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

Your attention to this matter will greatly assist us in keeping our shipboard environment looking ship-shape. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Guest Services, Deck 3 Mid-ship.

If interested, magnetic door decorations are available for purchase in our merchandise area. For your convenience, magnetic strips are also available at Guest Services.

We appreciate your cooperation and hope you have an enjoyable sailing.

Sincerely, "
Thanks for letting us see this Val. I just ordered two of these from eBayg but have now cancelled the order.
F2superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #999
Pengwend
Mouseketeer

Smile Hooray!

Ok, I just emailed our info for the FE and Secret Mickey!

It's just my husband and myself cruising; no kids yet because we're basically still big kids! Super excited! I am in grad school and can't wait for the semester to be over so that I can focus on the cruise!

Someone mentioned ordering Euros; on our honeymoon cruise, we learned that you can do your money exchange on board. The cruise rate was actually better than we were able to get through Amex, too. The best thing is that you can buy Euros when you get on board and sell them back at the same rate before you disembark. That way, you don't lose any money because of the exchange rates!

A couple other thoughts from notes I kept after our honeymoon cruise:
  1. Over-door plastic shoe organizer is handy for organizing things in your cabin and prevents small things moving around in the bathroom - with the split bathrooms, you could put one facing into one bathroom and one facing out for things like socks and underwear (there's not a lot of drawer space) It's just the two of us travelling, but I imagine space is a bigger issue for families.
  2. Surge protectors! You're sure to want to plug in more things than the cabin has outlets for, so surge protectors help with that.
  3. International-ise your phone. We have Verizon and were able to internationalize my iPhone for just $20 when we travelled to Japan last year. It was very helpful for being able to google maps our way around. [We didn't do this when we went on our honeymoon, didn't think of it.]
  4. It's not too hard to find places with free wifi in port. WAY better than trying to get anything done on board (even if you purchase the connectivity package and go to the computer place on the ship).
  5. Finally, you might check your credit card offerings. For example, ours offers automatic travel insurance, lost luggage support and credit for delays as well as waived foreign transaction fees. On our honeymoon, one of our two suitcases didn't make it to Barcelona in time. Disney was SUPER great about this and gave us toiletries, etc. They managed to work with our airline to get our luggage to us at the third port (so we were without it for 4 days I think). Anyway, had we known, our credit card company would have reimbursed us for the total cost of everything we had to purchase in the interim - clothes, mainly.

That's all I can think of for now. We'll try to get those Navigators and such scanned this afternoon!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #1000
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, I just emailed our info for the FE and Secret Mickey!

It's just my husband and myself cruising; no kids yet because we're basically still big kids! Super excited! I am in grad school and can't wait for the semester to be over so that I can focus on the cruise!

Someone mentioned ordering Euros; on our honeymoon cruise, we learned that you can do your money exchange on board. The cruise rate was actually better than we were able to get through Amex, too. The best thing is that you can buy Euros when you get on board and sell them back at the same rate before you disembark. That way, you don't lose any money because of the exchange rates!

A couple other thoughts from notes I kept after our honeymoon cruise:
  1. Over-door plastic shoe organizer is handy for organizing things in your cabin and prevents small things moving around in the bathroom - with the split bathrooms, you could put one facing into one bathroom and one facing out for things like socks and underwear (there's not a lot of drawer space) It's just the two of us travelling, but I imagine space is a bigger issue for families.
  2. Surge protectors! You're sure to want to plug in more things than the cabin has outlets for, so surge protectors help with that.
  3. International-ise your phone. We have Verizon and were able to internationalize my iPhone for just $20 when we travelled to Japan last year. It was very helpful for being able to google maps our way around. [We didn't do this when we went on our honeymoon, didn't think of it.]
  4. It's not too hard to find places with free wifi in port. WAY better than trying to get anything done on board (even if you purchase the connectivity package and go to the computer place on the ship).
  5. Finally, you might check your credit card offerings. For example, ours offers automatic travel insurance, lost luggage support and credit for delays as well as waived foreign transaction fees. On our honeymoon, one of our two suitcases didn't make it to Barcelona in time. Disney was SUPER great about this and gave us toiletries, etc. They managed to work with our airline to get our luggage to us at the third port (so we were without it for 4 days I think). Anyway, had we known, our credit card company would have reimbursed us for the total cost of everything we had to purchase in the interim - clothes, mainly.

That's all I can think of for now. We'll try to get those Navigators and such scanned this afternoon!
A couple of comments

1. The best way for Americans to get money is an ATM card. It's a better rate then Disney is going to give. LOL! Plus to "exchange" cash you have carry it with you. NEVER carry more cash then you can afford to loose. What are you going to do when at the Barcelona airport all your cash is lost/stolen. (And it happens more then you think. Tired, jetlagged, disoriented, the VERY responsible chaperone on my Girl Scout trip lost $10,000 in travelers checks and a few hundred in cash... Yes we got the checks back, but it was royal pain! I met a woman in Paris who lost ALL her cash at the Paris Airport. Her parents had to wire her a little money and she was changing her flight to fly back basically a day after she arrived as she could not afford to "pay" for the vacation twice. She had ALL her cash for her two weeks in Paris on her....)

However, if you are going to use Traveler's Checks Disney is probably your best bet.

2. Over the door organizers have been "banned" by Disney (See note earlier in this thread)

3. Contact your bank and credit card companies before you go. Inform them where you will be and when. Otherwise your first charge is likely to get your card on "fraud" hold. Get a number to call in case of a problem (the 800 number on your card won't work)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1001
Arushy1
Earning My Ears

Hi I still don't have my cruise docs yet. I am like a little kid everytime I here the post person I run to the door only to be disappointed xx
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #1002
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Does someone have a good "To Do" list for before we all leave for this trip? We have 3 weeks of itinerary (1 week before and 1 week after) and so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. So far I've:

1. Double checked passports & exp dates
2. Emailed private tour operators to re-confirm dates, times
3. Emailed hotels w/special requests
4. Double checked DCL requests, etc.
5. Ordered Euros.

I still have to book some transfers for the various cities we're going to, print out confs, put money in Tip Envelopes, and do a billion other things.

I'm hoping someone here has a list so that I can double check in case I miss something. I know us DIS'ers are super organized so I would love a list/ideas. Thanks!
My list is pretty long and certainly has become longer as we have gotten older. We were laughing about the luggage we took on our week long honeymoon, 40 years ago this trip, compared to what we now bring for a weekender. Now days our toiletries and medicines take up more room then everything we took back then.

I have a plastic accordion file that I use to keep my travel docs. I also keep my planning lists in it and just update them each trip. This list looks pretty long but I'm one of those planners. I write the contact name and phone numbers/email addresses on the doc so each trip it is easier to complete the tasks. My electronic itinerary file, with contact info, I just update each trip.

TRIP PLANNING LIST
o Let credit card company know of trip - dates and destinations
o Put newspaper on hold
o Put mail on hold
o Let home security company know of trip - dates and names of people taking care of the house
o Put garbage service on hold
o Notify cell-phone company of trip
o Notify health insurance company of trip - check on out
of country coverage
o File travel plans with the US State Department and check
their site for travel notices

o Schedule car service
o Schedule dentist and doctor's checkup for two weeks before trip
(get letters with list of medications and medical issues - check
vaccinations are current)
o Arrange with someone to check on house, and as contact in case
of a problem

o Check batteries in home security devices and garden sprinkler
system
o Check we have sufficient prescription medication on hand

o Create itinerary with reservation numbers and contact telephone
numbers (include home security and insurance companies
numbers) - photocopy enough copies to put one in each piece of
luggage and leave on kitchen table
o Create packing list
o Photo luggage with cell phone
o Photocopy travel papers, itinerary, credit cards, medical cards,
passports and any other ids
o E-mail photocopies of docs and luggage photos to myself and two
other people (one out of the state in which you live). Include name
of home insurance company and policy number with home care
persons e-mail

o Week of travel, confirm all reservations, air, hotel, car service,
cruise company - check with TA and person taking care of home -
leave house keys with home care person.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1003
Pengwend
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
A couple of comments

1. The best way for Americans to get money is an ATM card. It's a better rate then Disney is going to give. LOL! Plus to "exchange" cash you have carry it with you. NEVER carry more cash then you can afford to loose. What are you going to do when at the Barcelona airport all your cash is lost/stolen. (And it happens more then you think. Tired, jetlagged, disoriented, the VERY responsible chaperone on my Girl Scout trip lost $10,000 in travelers checks and a few hundred in cash... Yes we got the checks back, but it was royal pain! I met a woman in Paris who lost ALL her cash at the Paris Airport. Her parents had to wire her a little money and she was changing her flight to fly back basically a day after she arrived as she could not afford to "pay" for the vacation twice. She had ALL her cash for her two weeks in Paris on her....)

However, if you are going to use Traveler's Checks Disney is probably your best bet.

2. Over the door organizers have been "banned" by Disney (See note earlier in this thread)

3. Contact your bank and credit card companies before you go. Inform them where you will be and when. Otherwise your first charge is likely to get your card on "fraud" hold. Get a number to call in case of a problem (the 800 number on your card won't work)
Sorry, forgot to say that we jerry-rigged over the door shoe organizers so that its two connected by fabric in the middle. That way, it's just the thin fabric going over the door. That's how you get the pockets inside the bathroom and outside the bathroom. The thing is just that the hinge for the door is up top, so we ended up cutting the fabric I'd sewn on. For our next cruise, I have to remember to replace with velcro-ed on ribbon. Can't find a photo of anything that shows what I mean. But basically I'm thinking I'll sew a ribbon to the corners of one organizer and then sew velcro to the other one, kind of like tabs on a shower curtain? This way it doesn't hurt the door at all and still stays in place. If/when I get around to doing it, I'll take photos. We found it was more space than we needed really, but it was helpful to see if we were forgetting anything important.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1004
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to say that we jerry-rigged over the door shoe organizers so that its two connected by fabric in the middle. That way, it's just the thin fabric going over the door. That's how you get the pockets inside the bathroom and outside the bathroom. The thing is just that the hinge for the door is up top, so we ended up cutting the fabric I'd sewn on. For our next cruise, I have to remember to replace with velcro-ed on ribbon. Can't find a photo of anything that shows what I mean. But basically I'm thinking I'll sew a ribbon to the corners of one organizer and then sew velcro to the other one, kind of like tabs on a shower curtain? This way it doesn't hurt the door at all and still stays in place. If/when I get around to doing it, I'll take photos. We found it was more space than we needed really, but it was helpful to see if we were forgetting anything important.

If it goes over the door I expect are going to take it down The fact that you believe it "doesn't hurt the door" is not going to be the consideration. IMHO they aren't going to give the attendants that kind of "leeway" it's going to be "nothing over the door" The letter says "over the door" not "metal over the door"

We will know more in the next few weeks, but if I were planning to take one based on current data I would change that plan.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #1005
kikids
Mouseketeer

Photo from the "Edge"

For those wondering how awesome the Edge is (versus the Vibe) for kids around 13 yrs old, here is a pic I took on the Magic last Spring when my daughter was 12.5. A group of kids used the Edge as a meet place and then went everywhere together (shows, pool, character photos, trivia, etc). None of these kids knew each other (except for these dis boards) before the cruise and they became nearly inseparable. My DD is the blond (2nd girl from left) with the peace sign on her shirt and someone on her back. She is happy to answer questions about the Edge if anyone has any.
Disney Wonder 2014, Disney Fantasy 2014, Disney Magic 2013 (Mediterranean) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124303, Disney Magic 2012, Disney Dream 2011, Disney Wonder 2010, POP 2012, CBR 2010, POR 2009, Off property 2002-2008, SeaWorld 2010, 2011.

Last edited by kikids; 04-20-2013 at 10:03 PM.
kikids is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: