Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #856
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Short but some important information
http://voices.yahoo.com/10-mediterra...-11536120.html
Yeah, but they don't seem to understand the purpose of your money belt.

you don't carry around EVERY Euro you bring in that thing. If you are dipping into it to buy your train fare into the city you missed the point!

Put some cash in your purse, just don't put 100's of Euros. I stick to 20 to 40 Euros in most cases unless I know I will need more. Then the big bills, credit cards, passport, etc go in the money belt. I only get into it if I make a MAJOR purchase, not to buy gelato.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #857
valbob89
DIS Veteran

CDC Information for Cruise Ship Travelers

The Center for Disease Control has some interesting information for healthy cruising. You can also review the most recent vessel inspection reports. The Disney Magic scored a 95 out of 100 on it's last review, late 2012.

The last reported Nirvo outbreak on the Magic was in 2002.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/public/public.htm

From this site you can also find travelers advisories and travel advise in the Travelers' Health section.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

There is also a link to the Registration of Traveler Emergency Contact and Itinerary Information. This is a free travel registration service provided by the U.S. State Department to U.S. citizens who are traveling outside the US.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/reg...ntact-info.htm
or https://step.state.gov/step/

Last edited by valbob89; 03-29-2013 at 01:00 PM.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #858
Evad
Our Greatest Natural Resource Is The Minds Of Our Children; Walter Elias Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMouseHouse View Post
We always carry ours - just in case. Never know if something would happen and you'd need it............

But you don't go thru "customs" like you would if you were flying, so it's not required.....
I was just curious about that. It would be nice to just leave it on the ship and have one less thing to worry about when it comes to pickpockets.

I may be over thinking this pickpocket thing but I'm just so damn worried about it. I like to carry around my dslr with me and now I'm thinking about just leaving my camera at home....

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 / Nikkor 70-300mm VR / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 / SB 400 / Fuji S700 /

Evad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #859
purplern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad View Post
I was just curious about that. It would be nice to just leave it on the ship and have one less thing to worry about when it comes to pickpockets.

I may be over thinking this pickpocket thing but I'm just so damn worried about it. I like to carry around my dslr with me and now I'm thinking about just leaving my camera at home....
Just wear your camera around your neck! You have to take pictures!
We're leaving the passport at the ship. I made copies and will carry the copies.

Dixie landings-92 Carribean beach-03 AKL-03 Wilderness lodge-04 POR-06 Disney Wonder-06 Grand Floridian & Disney Magic 08
purplern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #860
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So you are going to let your fear drive your vacation?

My rules!

1. Passport, credit cards etc go in a money belt
2. Common sense for your other belongings

(I take my DSLR)

Maybe everyone on here lives in Mayberry where you can just leave the back door open and there is no crime, but.....

Honestly, Europe is probably SAFER then where most of us live. The "thieves" don't have guns.

The bigger issue is more the 'hassle' factor. It's one thing to back to my office and call the bank when I lose my debit card. IT's harder to do that from Europe and I don't want to waste my vacation time. So I use a money belt.

If you are letting the "hysteria" get to you it's time to step away from the computer LOL!

I go to Europe at least annually as a solo female traveler. Using the two rules above I have never had a problem.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #861
Evad

Alright you guys have convinced me... I'll stop worrying and have fun!!!!

Trust me I'm really looking forward to this trip!! Can't wait to go!

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 / Nikkor 70-300mm VR / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 / SB 400 / Fuji S700 /

Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #862
purplern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alright you guys have convinced me... I'll stop worrying and have fun!!!!

Trust me I'm really looking forward to this trip!! Can't wait to go!
I cant wait either!

Dixie landings-92 Carribean beach-03 AKL-03 Wilderness lodge-04 POR-06 Disney Wonder-06 Grand Floridian & Disney Magic 08
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #863
EjeG
Nutz

Quote:

I tend to carry my dSLR with me everywhere not only when I'm traveling but when I travel you rarely see me without my dSLR. Don't leave the dSLR at home in case you worry about it getting stolen.

If it's for the added weight and all that get a comfortable strap like a Blackrapid strap (get that weight of the neck and as added bonus be ready to shoot in no time - love my strap and my neck thanks me every time I put it on).

I know there was one company that built a similar strap as the blackrapid but had a metal wire inside the strap so the strap can't be cut. But to be honest there are not much more theft and pick pocketing going on in these areas we are going to than most (any?) popular tourist locations in the US..

I not heard much about theft from stateroom on Disney and feel fully comfortable leave laptop, tablet, camera gear etc in our stateroom (or in my hotel room in most hotels that we stay at for that matter).
Jewelry, passports, cash and spare credit cards goes into the stateroom safe however.
EjeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #864
EjeG
Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplern View Post
Just wear your camera around your neck! You have to take pictures!
We're leaving the passport at the ship. I made copies and will carry the copies.
Give your neck a rest and get something like a Blackrapid and just carry it over your shoulder and be ready to shoot in no time.. =)
Sure nice if you have a heavier camera/lens combo but also also no strap rubbing that sun burnt neck or rub your neck raw after carrying the camera around for all day for numerous days. Ever ended up carrying your camera on your should strapped across your chest, than Blackrapid is for you, that is what it is designed to do and at the same time let you be ready to take pictures in no time (while normal strap strapped that way you probably have to get your one arm out from the strap so you can get it up properly to shoot).

[END INFOMERCIAL]
EjeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #865
Evad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjeG View Post
I tend to carry my dSLR with me everywhere not only when I'm traveling but when I travel you rarely see me without my dSLR. Don't leave the dSLR at home in case you worry about it getting stolen.

If it's for the added weight and all that get a comfortable strap like a Blackrapid strap (get that weight of the neck and as added bonus be ready to shoot in no time - love my strap and my neck thanks me every time I put it on).

I know there was one company that built a similar strap as the blackrapid but had a metal wire inside the strap so the strap can't be cut. But to be honest there are not much more theft and pick pocketing going on in these areas we are going to than most (any?) popular tourist locations in the US..

I not heard much about theft from stateroom on Disney and feel fully comfortable leave laptop, tablet, camera gear etc in our stateroom (or in my hotel room in most hotels that we stay at for that matter).
Jewelry, passports, cash and spare credit cards goes into the stateroom safe however.
Received and read your pm. Thanks for great tips and advice.

I do have a BlackRapid strap on my camera and love it. Though it does hang at my waist my hand is always on it. Funny thing is when I travel through the states I take my camera everywhere and don't even think twice about. Been to NYC, LA, Las Vegas etc. and don't even worry... I don't know why all the stories on the internet have me bugged about Europe. Maybe it just seems worse then what it is. From what you and others have said I'm just going to go and have a great time. I certainly wont just leave things lying around and I will be diligent about my surroundings!!

Thanks so much guys!!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #866
Evad

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplern View Post
I cant wait either!
Hey meant to ask you, how did your photo excursion go on our last cruise? That was the day it rained real hard right?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #867
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #868
purplern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey meant to ask you, how did your photo excursion go on our last cruise? That was the day it rained real hard right?
Yep thats the day! The excursion was still on and surprisingly it wasnt bad! We put on the ponchos and hit the spots! It slowed at the falls but then started up again, She give some tips and said you make the best of a shoot when it rains. So we hid the camera's under the ponchos.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #869
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Love this, may use this one for a door magnet if that's okay.

Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #870
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Feel free to use any of my images. You might want to take them from my Flicker file, the resolution is better
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmvandy/?saved=1

Last edited by valbob89; 03-31-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: