Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #1216
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyNewfie View Post
I'm no expert, but another thing I've noticed with my recent many trips to London is that the money changing vendors in airports and such charge extraordinarily bad conversion rates to buy local currency.

For example, I can buy GBP with CAD at my local bank for $1.62. They were charging $1.72 when I went past yesterday.

And, something else I've recently noted, but not really figured out for sure is when using the credit card to purchase something that they'll ask me if I want to pay in CAD or GBP. If I pay in CAD, I'm getting a much worse rate than my bank/CC company charges. So I've started just saying GBP is fine.
I would not exchange US or CAD dollars for foreign currency - except as a last resort. The exchange rate and/or fees are higher than getting money from an ATM.

I got foreign currency before a trip only once, and I won't do it again. I ordered a large amount of euros from Wells Fargo (online) last spring. Even though Wells Fargo said most credit card companies treat the charge as a purchase - my credit card company (Citibank) considered it a cash advance, and started charging interest right away! I realized it as soon as I checked my account online, and I was able to minimize the amount of interest by paying off the credit card immediately. However, there was nothing I could do about the 5% transaction fee.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #1217
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Hey Folks,

Finally getting a couple minutes to rub together to look at the cruise info. Looking at excursions. There's an excursion called "Unforgettable West Madeira" at Madeira that's 8-8.5hrs. We're only docked for 8.25hrs.

How in the world can Disney guarantee that? I have to assume you need to include some time to get off/on the boat?

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing that could comment? Should I avoid that excursion like the plague? I get it that they guarantee you, but would that simply mean they'll fly us to Gibraltar or would they absolutely wait?
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #1218
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey Folks,

Finally getting a couple minutes to rub together to look at the cruise info. Looking at excursions. There's an excursion called "Unforgettable West Madeira" at Madeira that's 8-8.5hrs. We're only docked for 8.25hrs.

How in the world can Disney guarantee that? I have to assume you need to include some time to get off/on the boat?

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing that could comment? Should I avoid that excursion like the plague? I get it that they guarantee you, but would that simply mean they'll fly us to Gibraltar or would they absolutely wait?
The itinerary shows the onboard time of 6:45 - which is usually 30 minutes prior to departure. That's not the time the ship sails. If the ship offers the tour, you will have time for it. If the excursion returns late, the ship will wait.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #1219
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
Nice price! That going on Friday 17th?

We need to sort our hotel in Galveston, it's the one thing we have left to do!
Yes it is. Am already missing a week and a day of school for kids, so really can't do any more - would have been lovely to have a few days in Barcelona but not to be.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #1220
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Is there a fish extender sign up anywhere? Checked first post and couldn't see it, but probably missed it!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #1221
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
Is there a fish extender sign up anywhere? Checked first post and couldn't see it, but probably missed it!
It's a PM to Binkytell. From our trip website https://sites.google.com/site/onamagicaltransatlanticjourney/home/organized-events/fe-exchange

Quote:
From Binkytell:

If you would like to join in the FE exchange, please PM binkytell (SARAH) on the Disboards with your Disname, names of everyone in the room participating - first and surnames - and relationship to you (DH, DD, etc), ages of children, and your room number (if known). If you would prefer that your children's names not be posted publicly, just let me know. I'll keep them on my list, but I'll only put the relationship identifier (DD, DS) on the list.

Some people do like to do separate gifts for children so it can be helpful to let us know childrens age and gender. I also will not post surnames. Some folks need the names for their FE gifts, so I will only pass them on to those people.

You MUST send me a PM with your information in order to be included in the FE!!!! Simply mentioning your desire to participate in a post on the thread will not get you included.

we can agree a cut off date and numbers per group that suits the majority at a later date.

remember Whatever you decide to give will be enjoyed and appreciated, its the taking part that counts.

sarah xx
To learn more about Fish Extenders, Gift exchanges or FE gift ideas, please see the Fish Extender Information page.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #1222
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much, will send her a pm.

Just booked my hotel near the airport for the night. Free airport shuttle, opposite Walmart (so can buy some alcohol to take onboard!! ) and various places to eat nearby.

It was pretty cheap (less than half the amount I had budgeted) and I don't pay til I'm there, plus can cancel up to the day before if I find something better.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #1223
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper

Yes it is. Am already missing a week and a day of school for kids, so really can't do any more - would have been lovely to have a few days in Barcelona but not to be.
We are the same, need to be back in work on the Monday so no time in Barcelona for us either!
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #1224
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

I'm so thankful that I was able to get 3 weeks for this trip. But I gotta use up one to get to Galveston. Dare not risk trying to get there same day. I'd have only 30 minutes to spare by my estimation.

I figure 2 days in Barcelona and 2.5 days in London after. It's also going to take me more than a day to get home so I have to use up another day for that.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #1225
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Is anybody else flying into Houston on the 16th May and going straight to Galveston?

Just wondering if anybody wanted to organise a shuttle together or even a taxi together?

Only asking because it's quite expensive from IAH to Galveston
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #1226
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is anybody else flying into Houston on the 16th May and going straight to Galveston?

Just wondering if anybody wanted to organise a shuttle together or even a taxi together?

Only asking because it's quite expensive from IAH to Galveston
My friend Vicki and I will arrive on the 16th, but we are flying into Houston Hobby and renting a car.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #1227
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so thankful that I was able to get 3 weeks for this trip. But I gotta use up one to get to Galveston. Dare not risk trying to get there same day. I'd have only 30 minutes to spare by my estimation.

I figure 2 days in Barcelona and 2.5 days in London after. It's also going to take me more than a day to get home so I have to use up another day for that.
If my flight times don't change much, and all 4 flights are on time - I will get home the same day I leave from Barcelona! I am using FF miles, so I will keep trying to change my JFK-RDU-ORD routing to a JFK-ORD routing. There is only one JFK-ORD flight that will work, and there are no available seats using the fewest miles at this time.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #1228
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

My friend Vicki and I will arrive on the 16th, but we are flying into Houston Hobby and renting a car.
I think I am just going to have to suck it up and release that I have to pay around $165 cab ride!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #1229
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think I am just going to have to suck it up and release that I have to pay around $165 cab ride!
Hi Tink, I don't have the details at the moment, but my wife said it was $110 for a limo from the GW Bush Airport to Galveston. I tried looking through her list of emails and I don't yet see how she got a price. I'll ask her in the morning and get back.

We're going to come in on the 17th.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #1230
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
If my flight times don't change much, and all 4 flights are on time - I will get home the same day I leave from Barcelona! I am using FF miles, so I will keep trying to change my JFK-RDU-ORD routing to a JFK-ORD routing. There is only one JFK-ORD flight that will work, and there are no available seats using the fewest miles at this time.
Nice. Air Canada is too much of a rip-off for one-ways. They'd get me home easy in a single day. I've been doing it all too often these days. But it's about $3000 for 2 one-ways from London (I think it was $6K from Barcelona ). Thankfully, there are cheaper, but more roundabout options or we wouldn't be doing this trip.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: