Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #1156
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma x3 View Post
okay - I'm really into this planning mode - any suggestions for hotels in Barcelona? I'm staying the day we disembark then flying the next day to Italy. When I was in Barcelona in 2007 I stayed on the ship and went sight seeing prior to sailing - no hotel experience.

And anyone in the London area - I'm looking at the Comfort Hotel near Heathrow to stay for a couple of days before we head back to the USA. Last time I was in London we stayed in central London and I don't anything about this place.

Thanks !! Don't know what I'd do without checking here - so much expertise and so helpful !!
Hi Chris,

I've been researching for hours on end the last couple of days. It is really hard to find a hotel that will accommodate four in one room. Hello? They are SEVEN haha. I think it depends on whether you want to relax or totally check out the city. We currently have four reservations (at Catalonia Port, Grand Hotel Central, Hotel Barcelona Catedral, and Hotel Miramar Barcelona). Not sure if our "requirements" are similar to yours. I want a pool and fitness center (scared to run in a town I don't know). And of course, room for four (my parents in a separate room).

NancyIL, when I saw "Starwood", I thought for sure you were staying at the W. I was going to be super jealous!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #1157
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Hi Chris,

I've been researching for hours on end the last couple of days. It is really hard to find a hotel that will accommodate four in one room. Hello? They are SEVEN haha. I think it depends on whether you want to relax or totally check out the city. We currently have four reservations (at Catalonia Port, Grand Hotel Central, Hotel Barcelona Catedral, and Hotel Miramar Barcelona). Not sure if our "requirements" are similar to yours. I want a pool and fitness center (scared to run in a town I don't know). And of course, room for four (my parents in a separate room).

NancyIL, when I saw "Starwood", I thought for sure you were staying at the W. I was going to be super jealous!
I wouldn't worry about running in Barcelona - I walked around at 2am alone without worry. I found the city to be safe and comfortable. I did make sure I stayed in well lit areas of course (I am not foolish, maybe crazy!)

We are at the Hotel Gaudi, right near the Gaudi houses. We got a good rate (my wonderful fiance found this one!) We used TripAdvisor and were happy with the location, rate, and pictures.
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #1158
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Try Casp74, it's an Apartment style hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 3 bath unit in 2011. It's in a great neighborhood close to a metro stop and a quick walk to Placa Catalunya. They offer a 3 bedroom unit that I believes sleeps 8 but you may need to email and check.

http://www.apartmentscasp74.com/apartaments.php?idm=3
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #1159
kaseyC

DVC Owner - BWV

Nancy, I just wanted thank you for your recommendation for a Paris Apartment rental company. We found a great apartment through Vacations in Paris for 4 nights after our Baltic cruise much less expensive than a hotel for our family of 5. They've been easy to work with and I love that they are located in the U.S. Very excited about exploring Paris.

Question: Do you think a day trip to DLRP would be doable? We want to take the girls because we will be so close but we also really want to enjoy our days in Paris. I was thinking about taking the RER from Paris one morning and coming back to the city around dinner time. What do you think?
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #1160
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No such luck! The W in Barcelona requires 25,000 Starwood points/night for a free stay vs. 3,000 (weekend) or 4,000 (weekday) points at the Four Points Sheraton! 25K points = a free domestic plane ticket on American Airlines, and I won't use that many points for a hotel room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Nancy, I just wanted thank you for your recommendation for a Paris Apartment rental company. We found a great apartment through Vacations in Paris for 4 nights after our Baltic cruise much less expensive than a hotel for our family of 5. They've been easy to work with and I love that they are located in the U.S. Very excited about exploring Paris.

Question: Do you think a day trip to DLRP would be doable? We want to take the girls because we will be so close but we also really want to enjoy our days in Paris. I was thinking about taking the RER from Paris one morning and coming back to the city around dinner time. What do you think?
You're welcome, and I'm glad you found an apartment in Paris that will work for you.

I did a day trip to Disneyland Paris via the RER in 2002, but I was in Paris for a week. If you decide to go there for the day, I would personally stay as long as possible, rather than try to get back in time for dinner.

If you don't already have it, I highly recommend getting Rick Steves' Paris 2013 guide book, available soon: http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Pa...ves+paris+2013
Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #1161
gramfrog
Mouseketeer

DLRP and then the Seine at night!

Quote:

We have been to DLRP each of our three trips to Paris in the past few years, and it's REALLY easy to get there (under an hour each way on the RER train to Marne La Valee) and a great way to spend a day. They now have two parks, so if you want to "do it on the cheap"-er, choose the Main Park only, rather than Studios. Plenty to see and do. Remember, though, that it is set up much like the US parks (only prettier in a park setting), and therefore the charm, IMHO, is the signage in French and the "Disneyland Paris" mementos. (If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will). Plenty of time afterwards to take the excellent Seine tour boat at the tip of Ile de la Cite to tour Paris at night in the lights!(fantastic bridges).
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1162
gramfrog
Mouseketeer

anyone know how to post a picture from the computer's library (mac)? I don't have a url to have it search for....

Last edited by gramfrog; 11-05-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: picture failed
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #1163
kaseyC

DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
No such luck! The W in Barcelona requires 25,000 Starwood points/night for a free stay vs. 3,000 (weekend) or 4,000 (weekday) points at the Four Points Sheraton! 25K points = a free domestic plane ticket on American Airlines, and I won't use that many points for a hotel room.

You're welcome, and I'm glad you found an apartment in Paris that will work for you.

I did a day trip to Disneyland Paris via the RER in 2002, but I was in Paris for a week. If you decide to go there for the day, I would personally stay as long as possible, rather than try to get back in time for dinner.

If you don't already have it, I highly recommend getting Rick Steves' Paris 2013 guide book, available soon: http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Pa...ves+paris+2013
Got the Paris 2012 on my iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramfrog View Post
We have been to DLRP each of our three trips to Paris in the past few years, and it's REALLY easy to get there (under an hour each way on the RER train to Marne La Valee) and a great way to spend a day. They now have two parks, so if you want to "do it on the cheap"-er, choose the Main Park only, rather than Studios. Plenty to see and do. Remember, though, that it is set up much like the US parks (only prettier in a park setting), and therefore the charm, IMHO, is the signage in French and the "Disneyland Paris" mementos. (If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will). Plenty of time afterwards to take the excellent Seine tour boat at the tip of Ile de la Cite to tour Paris at night in the lights!(fantastic bridges).
Thanks for your advice. We are a Disney family and I know we would regret not visiting DLRP. I will plan my itinerary to include it because I'm sure this will not be our only visit to Paris.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #1164
gramfrog
Mouseketeer

You're welcome, Kasey! Incidentally, we have three princesses, too, although they are most likely decades older that yours We have a Casey, and we apparently live relatively close to you, in Barrington. If you have any questions about DLP I'll be glad to help.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #1165
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post
I wouldn't worry about running in Barcelona - I walked around at 2am alone without worry. I found the city to be safe and comfortable. I did make sure I stayed in well lit areas of course (I am not foolish, maybe crazy!)

We are at the Hotel Gaudi, right near the Gaudi houses. We got a good rate (my wonderful fiance found this one!) We used TripAdvisor and were happy with the location, rate, and pictures.
Hahaha I meant because I'll get lost, not because I'm worried about "bad" people in Barcelona. I loved it so much when I was there for school (a long time ago haha).

Quote:
Try Casp74, it's an Apartment style hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 3 bath unit in 2011. It's in a great neighborhood close to a metro stop and a quick walk to Placa Catalunya. They offer a 3 bedroom unit that I believes sleeps 8 but you may need to email and check.

http://www.apartmentscasp74.com/apartaments.php?idm=3
I was wondering why I didn't know Casp74. It's because there's no pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Holy crap, 25,000? A night??? Wow, that isn't even close to what I'd pay for!

Okay so after some additional emailing, we are down to three: Grand Central Hotel, Suites Avenue, and Catalonia Port (but that is really a stretch because we would have to get three rooms -- but one of them is spectacular with it's own terrace on the whole entire floor and it's own hot tub). I have one more day off to research!

Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #1166
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma x3
okay - I'm really into this planning mode - any suggestions for hotels in Barcelona? I'm staying the day we disembark then flying the next day to Italy. When I was in Barcelona in 2007 I stayed on the ship and went sight seeing prior to sailing - no hotel experience.

And anyone in the London area - I'm looking at the Comfort Hotel near Heathrow to stay for a couple of days before we head back to the USA. Last time I was in London we stayed in central London and I don't anything about this place.

Thanks !! Don't know what I'd do without checking here - so much expertise and so helpful !!
I personally wouldn't stay at Heathrow if you want to spend a couple of days exploring London. You would spend extra £/$ getting back and forth to your hotel then you probably would to upgrade to a central London hotel. Also, if you are going to be there in the week and want full days in London, you would be fighting rush hour traffic getting into London early because you are so far out. Whereas if you are staying in London, you could get up a little later when everyone is in work

I only live 2 hours from London and visit around 15 times a year, if anyone wants tips on restaurants, sights you can't miss etc, let me know
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #1167
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC

A day trip to DLP would be more then doable, as others have said its really easy to get there from central Paris. If you are visiting during a weekday normally it is super quiet and you could even get both parks done at a stretch. Unfortunately though, I've checked the school holidays for you and whilst the French, Spanish and German schools are in attendance, it's a half term week for the British school calendar. Therefore it may be a little busier then normal....with using Fastpass though and a little forward planning you should be fine

For anyone going to Paris, again I am more then happy to help with planning and advice for you all. The website link I've added below as well is the most helpful DLP site to use as well. Unfortunately there's no such thing as crowd calendars etc :-(

I've also added my Flickr link to my Paris and DLP set, gives you an idea of what it all looks like - Gosh, sorry I will do anything to push my photos out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcol...7629774672267/

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/

Have a great day all
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1168
kaseyC

DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
A day trip to DLP would be more then doable, as others have said its really easy to get there from central Paris. If you are visiting during a weekday normally it is super quiet and you could even get both parks done at a stretch. Unfortunately though, I've checked the school holidays for you and whilst the French, Spanish and German schools are in attendance, it's a half term week for the British school calendar. Therefore it may be a little busier then normal....with using Fastpass though and a little forward planning you should be fine

For anyone going to Paris, again I am more then happy to help with planning and advice for you all. The website link I've added below as well is the most helpful DLP site to use as well. Unfortunately there's no such thing as crowd calendars etc :-(

I've also added my Flickr link to my Paris and DLP set, gives you an idea of what it all looks like - Gosh, sorry I will do anything to push my photos out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcol...7629774672267/

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/

Have a great day all
So June 12-16 is a British school break? I will have to keep that in mind as I plan. Thank you for that information.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #1169
valbob89
DIS Veteran

shirt update

Here are the most current shirt design images, with the updates recommended. Also a model of how they would be positioned on a shirt.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #1170
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

What a great souvenir that will be!

Bobbi

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: