Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #1051
sumeto
Mouseketeer

Flight info needed,please

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
It depends whether the two airlines have an alliance or not. Which two are they?
Are Lingus and JetBlue. I found they have an alliance! So we will see.
Thanks, I didn't know what to look for! SoI booked it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #1052
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
Hi all!

I am pin collector, and was just wondering what the pin selection is like onboard? Is there a huge variety?

Also, I need one of those pin books, do they sell those onboard? I want the proper book, not the sort of zipped folder I've seen in other places..

Welcome to all new cruisers, and have a great rest of the weekend everyone :-)
I suggest u purchase your pin book online - since there is a very small selection on board usually. (last time I was on the Magic - this past spring) they had only 3 books (not three types, three books of one type). The ones online have a better selection and you can get park merchandise this way.

there are officer trading nights, but no organized pin trading events on board. During the Hawaii cruise I organized one - but had a very small turnout - remember the weight of pins if kinda a problem to those of us flying home!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #1053
padalyn

Whew...what a mess!

Boy oh boy...

JetBlue posted their airfares out through our travel home date on Sunday. So, come Monday we booked our flight to Galveston. Well, not 5 hours later, my college FINALLY decided on the date of the graduation ceremony. They have NEVER done it on a Friday before, so I figured we were safe...nope. We had a 2pm flight from JFK to HOU, well, the graduation is in East Rutherford, NJ at 10am. The Masters graduates won't walk until almost 2pm - no way were we going to make the 11am flight.

My wonderful Fiance tackled this - called JetBlue and explained - they moved us to the 8pm flight!!! At no cost!!

I managed to get Enterprise worked out - so we are all set!!

Now - if ANYONE knows of a store that sells wine in Texas City or Galveston (Specs has one lousy Riesling listed...a sad thing for sure) that sells a good selection of white wines I would love to know the name!

We have a reservation in Texas City for Friday night (by the time we get there it will be almost 2am) so we have to buy our wine the next morning.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #1054
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod&Copper View Post
Would any of you mind helping the no westbound transatlantic 2013 cause please and sign our petition we are going to send to DCL. Thank you in anticipation of your help link below

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/n...atlantic-2013/
Not really going to get what you want - Disney is making the crossing a working trip - no guests, no changes as far as I can find out from my inside contacts. So, no WBTA in the fall of 2013.
.DVC member since 2001
Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #1055
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post

. . . We had a 2pm flight from JFK to HOU, well, the graduation is in East Rutherford, NJ at 10am. The Masters graduates won't walk until almost 2pm - no way were we going to make the 11am flight.

My wonderful Fiance tackled this - called JetBlue and explained - they moved us to the 8pm flight!!! At no cost!!
Glad it worked out.

Woody
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #1056
Eeyore's Tiara
DIS Veteran

We've officially booked our first transatlantic cruise and this will be the first cruise for everyone except me. I took a short one before on a different cruise line.. So first Disney cruise for all of us.

I don't have a clue what to expect and I think I am attempting to achieve something grandiose and not sure I'm up to it. I'm planning on disembarking at Barcelona and then spend nearly two months marching across Europe. We did 3 weeks in Europe before when the kids were smaller and my daughter has been requesting to go back ever since. I still have NO idea how we're getting home, , and it's all a complete surprise for the kids.

My oldest dd graduates high school this spring and we're headed straight to board this cruise and make our way to Europe. We're also attempting to get my husband retired from the military in the month the cruise is set to sail. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a stressful event!

I would love any advice on what to expect from this cruise from those of you have done this before. I have seen lots of good advice about the ports of call and needing to bring cash. I also see things like fish extenders and magnets and don't think I completely understand these concepts yet.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Cassandra
Ben
Grandma Lou
Carissa 18
Caitlin 15
Chloe 10
In memory of my late husband: (1957-2008)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #1057
disdbltrbl
Earning My Ears

Magic to the Med

Super excited to be going again... went on 1st one 2007 super fun.....have lots of us going fam and friends......twins 11 year olds (time of sailing) We are looking at going to Paris and doing Disneyland...Anyone else???? Looking to find cheapest way there....train Im sure but didnt know if anyone had found something???? Will check in for fish extenders and all activities, best trip ever....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #1058
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdbltrbl View Post
Super excited to be going again... went on 1st one 2007 super fun.....have lots of us going fam and friends......twins 11 year olds (time of sailing) We are looking at going to Paris and doing Disneyland...Anyone else???? Looking to find cheapest way there....train Im sure but didnt know if anyone had found something???? Will check in for fish extenders and all activities, best trip ever....
It's folks like you who have done the TA before who really have us psyched about doing one!

Thanks! We're staying on the ship to do a Med cruise, can't help with your planning.

Bobbi
Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #1059
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Welcome Eeyore's Tiara.

Congratz on your first transatlantic. It's mine as well but I have done Disney once before for a 3 day - long enough to get hooked.

There is really quite a lot to absorb. I have tried to fill some things out on our website which I see you found because I got your note about Roll Call and have you added. If you do have some particular questions, feel free to post them here and I'm sure someone will answer them. I may even try to take some of your Q&A and move to the website for others.

As for Fish Extenders, the web page explains but it's pretty simple (probably hard for the organizer, but pretty easy for us participators. ). Disney boats have a hanger hanging from beside your stateroom door. It's more typically for Disney to hang mail from. The hanger is a fish! What we do is hang an "extender" (hence the fish extender) from it that can hold little gifts we exchange. The gifts can be anything. Many people try to do little crafty Disney/Cruise themed things.

Hope that helps, looking forward to meeting y'all.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #1060
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Tink1987, I might have missed it, but it looks like you'd like me to add a Pin trading event to the website and set up a poll.

Adding the event will just take a second and will be done right after this post. The survey will take me a little longer which means I probably can't get to it until Wed/Thurs. I've got to pack and fly out late this eve for London and then prep for some meetings. But, no problem. I'll get to it then.

This is getting pretty exciting. And I'm so gonna need a vacation by the time the cruise rolls around.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #1061
Eeyore's Tiara
DIS Veteran

Thank you GoofyNewfie! And thank you for the info on the fish extenders... I was wondering how do you get involved with the fish extenders, do you have to sign up?

And what disboard activities are planned for the adults? And for the children? Will there be meet and greets? I see on the first page they have a bunch of things listed, but I'm not sure what some of them are. The PJ party is self explanatory , but the jewelry making and other stuff I wasn't sure about. What are the door magnets about? And what kind of things do people put on their door? I saw someone talking about giving music cd's, and I was wondering about those. They look like they are made by us? And t-shirts? I see that there might be tshirts available to purchase? I'm sorry if I overloaded you all with questions. I'm just excited to learn what's happening. I feel like a kid in a candy store so I cant imagine what my kids are going to feel like!

Can anyone who's crossed before please give advice on what to expect motion wise on the 6 days at sea? I read something that has me a little worried about rough weather.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I read more on this cruise. I can't wait to go and meet everyone and see everything.... I just need to contain myself so I don't spill the beans to my kids!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #1062
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Tiara View Post
We've officially booked our first transatlantic cruise and this will be the first cruise for everyone except me. I took a short one before on a different cruise line.. So first Disney cruise for all of us.

I don't have a clue what to expect and I think I am attempting to achieve something grandiose and not sure I'm up to it. I'm planning on disembarking at Barcelona and then spend nearly two months marching across Europe. We did 3 weeks in Europe before when the kids were smaller and my daughter has been requesting to go back ever since. I still have NO idea how we're getting home, , and it's all a complete surprise for the kids.

My oldest dd graduates high school this spring and we're headed straight to board this cruise and make our way to Europe. We're also attempting to get my husband retired from the military in the month the cruise is set to sail. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a stressful event!

I would love any advice on what to expect from this cruise from those of you have done this before. I have seen lots of good advice about the ports of call and needing to bring cash. I also see things like fish extenders and magnets and don't think I completely understand these concepts yet.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Cassandra
Ben
Grandma Lou
Carissa 18
Caitlin 15
Chloe 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by disdbltrbl View Post
Welcome!!

We also have a FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/436992032989082/

Just request to join. We seem to have a bit more activity there.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 10-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #1063
Eeyore's Tiara
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Welcome!!

We also have a FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/436992032989082/

Just request to join. We seem to have a bit more activity there.
I would love to but I would be so busted!! My daughter is an avid facebooker and would spot that in a heartbeat. Can I lurk?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #1064
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Tiara View Post
Thank you GoofyNewfie! And thank you for the info on the fish extenders... I was wondering how do you get involved with the fish extenders, do you have to sign up?

And what disboard activities are planned for the adults? And for the children? Will there be meet and greets? I see on the first page they have a bunch of things listed, but I'm not sure what some of them are. The PJ party is self explanatory , but the jewelry making and other stuff I wasn't sure about. What are the door magnets about? And what kind of things do people put on their door? I saw someone talking about giving music cd's, and I was wondering about those. They look like they are made by us? And t-shirts? I see that there might be tshirts available to purchase? I'm sorry if I overloaded you all with questions. I'm just excited to learn what's happening. I feel like a kid in a candy store so I cant imagine what my kids are going to feel like!

Can anyone who's crossed before please give advice on what to expect motion wise on the 6 days at sea? I read something that has me a little worried about rough weather.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I read more on this cruise. I can't wait to go and meet everyone and see everything.... I just need to contain myself so I don't spill the beans to my kids!
welcome to the exciting part - the planning!!!! I love the planning stage as well.

Ok - to address a few of your questions:
door magnets - they are made by folks for specific cruises, it is the ONLY way DCL will allow you to decorate the door. Just be careful - the Magic's doors have been painted SO many times that the weaker magnets don't stick! Each time our cabin door slammed we had to go find all our mickey's - got to be a running joke about Mickey flying!

Jewelry making is usually done by someone, just a word to everyone - DCL will not allow money to change hands onboard, they began strictly enforcing this on the March Hawaii cruise - Deb who does the "pink champagne girls" and Linda who does Jewelry on the cruises BOTH got phone calls explaining that all money had to be exchanged PRIOR to boarding. The folks who were organizing a poker game were also warned.

CD's - some are very professional looking, some hand written - all are precious. I have gotten some amazing photos on disks, I have been giving music CD's out for a while myself. Some are in *.wav format, some in MP3 or MP4 - depends on the giver.

T-shirts - usually someone will make a graphic and upload it to a commercial site for folks to buy from them. Not sure if that is happening here.

Collared shirts (hawaiian style): the first time I know of someone tackling that was Val of ValBob for the first Hawaii - they came out amazing!! She had material made and shirts done from that. The cost was very reasonable after she got over 100 shirts ordered. (She was gracious enough to share her graphics and I asked a friend to make shirts for our bears with a "mini" pattern!)

Motion sickness - if you are prone I HIGHLY suggest you buy candied ginger and learn to like it! IF you go down the wrist band route - don't use the stretch ones- not enough pressure on the pressure point. Look for pregnancy nausea bands that are velcro closure, you need TWO not one like the sites will advocate. If you don't have a bruise when you take it off - it isn't tight enough. The ship will give you meclizine (antivert) but it is a very powerful antihystamine and will make your drowsy. You shouldn't drink alcohol when taking the meclizine.

There - I think I gave you food for thought -

things to keep in mind - if you are flying back to the USA - remember to bring a travel scale - the airlines in Europe are VERY strict about weight 23kg is 50.5 pounds and they MEAN it!! The fees are very high for overweight. If your scale does the weight in KG use it that way - I have found the switch is off by almost a pound on both of mine.

If you decide to bring alcohol on board - please read the DCL rules - if too many folks break them we will all loose the ability to bring alcohol onboard.

Nighttime activities are all for adults only - they are very strict about this as well.

I will post more later if you have more questions - ask away!!!
.DVC member since 2001
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #1065
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post

Motion sickness - if you are prone I HIGHLY suggest you buy candied ginger and learn to like it! IF you go down the wrist band route - don't use the stretch ones- not enough pressure on the pressure point. Look for pregnancy nausea bands that are velcro closure, you need TWO not one like the sites will advocate. If you don't have a bruise when you take it off - it isn't tight enough. The ship will give you meclizine (antivert) but it is a very powerful antihystamine and will make your drowsy. You shouldn't drink alcohol when taking the meclizine.
Meclizine is the main ingredient in Bonine and the Less-Drowsy Dramamine. (I buy a bottle of 100 from the Sam's Club Pharmacy for under $4.) It does make some people sleepy, but it doesn't have that effect on me. It's a once-a-day pill, so take it at bedtime if it makes you sleepy.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: