Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #3526
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post

I figure I can't get too upset about how they do it since they've had it that way since before we had our first cruise . But it is odd how they have it set up, I think. At the very least you'd think they'd have an either/or thing; You're gold after five cruises or 25 days, e.g.
DCL has been approached by guests numerous times with numerous ideas...so far they have not taken any of them. One suggestion was to simply add to the existing program - put little symbols for those who have more than 100 nights, 200 nights etc...I have a friend who has more cruises than I do, but fewer nights. She has 143 nights on 30+ cruises...this cruise will put me over 180 nights and is my 25th....go figure!
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #3527
DisneyMouseHouse

Help! I am a DIS Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post
umm- DCL has never done their rewards program by days. Not sure where you read it, but I know people who have 3 digit castaway numbers...(the first round issued in 2000) and they have always been by number of sailings.

DCL has not plans to change it either...I agree that it isn't fair, but any program is better than none!

Cayla
That was the impression I got from the CC Website -

FAQs

Question
Why did Disney Cruise Line change the Castaway Club program?

Answer
We truly value you, our Castaway Club Members. Using Guest feedback, we have enhanced the program to recognize you based on the number of times you sail on Disney Cruise Line.

Question
When does the new program officially begin?

Answer
On September 11, 2009, you will be able to look up your membership level in the Castaway Club section of www.disneycruise.com. The same day, Platinum Castaway members can also begin booking onboard activities (including port adventures, Palo, spa and Flounder's Reef Nursery) for the January 9, 2010 sailing on Disney Magic and the January 10, 2010 sailing on Disney Wonder.

Onboard benefits for the new program will begin aboard Disney Magic on October 3, 2009, and aboard Disney Wonder on October 18, 2009.

Prior to when I went back to look today, they had also mentioned on here that they were changing from number of nights, but I see they've since taken that down.....

Sorry if I misled anyone, though, but that is what I had read on the CC website. We didn't start cruising until after the date mentioned above.
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Our Travels
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #3528
DisneyMouseHouse

Help! I am a DIS Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
That keeps them quiet for a couple of hours then - DB is a Canon user!

I've added you on Flickr - hope that is OK! - I am at work at the moment, so I will take a proper look when I am home if that's OK because I know DB would love to see too.

Eeeek I can't wait now. We love doing night and sunrise shooting!

I've put a couple of photos below that we took last weekend at sunset.....
Nah, they'll be debating the merits of each type of camera -

No problem on the flickr add - that's a few of my DH pics, I didn't take them nor do I usually get up/stay up when he does.....he loves to do the lightening shots (we get a LOT of thunderstorms here and he's usually in the garage taking pics out the door!). He likes to do pics of "things" as opposed to pics of "people"....

Those photos that you guys took are GORGEOUS!

I've been kinda keeping him up with the thread, he'll have to look at your guys flickr acct......and I am sure he will!

Our Travels
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #3529
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMouseHouse View Post
That was the impression I got from the CC Website -

FAQs

Question
Why did Disney Cruise Line change the Castaway Club program?

Answer
We truly value you, our Castaway Club Members. Using Guest feedback, we have enhanced the program to recognize you based on the number of times you sail on Disney Cruise Line.

Question
When does the new program officially begin?

Answer
On September 11, 2009, you will be able to look up your membership level in the Castaway Club section of www.disneycruise.com. The same day, Platinum Castaway members can also begin booking onboard activities (including port adventures, Palo, spa and Flounder's Reef Nursery) for the January 9, 2010 sailing on Disney Magic and the January 10, 2010 sailing on Disney Wonder.

Onboard benefits for the new program will begin aboard Disney Magic on October 3, 2009, and aboard Disney Wonder on October 18, 2009.

Prior to when I went back to look today, they had also mentioned on here that they were changing from number of nights, but I see they've since taken that down.....

Sorry if I misled anyone, though, but that is what I had read on the CC website. We didn't start cruising until after the date mentioned above.
I didn't mean to sound snappy - this has been one of my major cranks for years...I have asked many in the chain of command about it all gave the same answer - no changes planned. According to one, the embarkation count is the industry standard...not what I found online, but what do I know! sigh...no joy on that one!
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #3530
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Side story and not DCL.... but this spurred a thought.

We married while on a cruise, and had about 25 people sailing with us. Hubby's aunt/uncle were onboard as their first cruise ever, and had not really ever vacationed much at all. They were early 60s at that time. His aunt has since passed away, but the other night I booked his uncle for his upcoming honeymoon cruise... he is remarrying, and groom and bride are ages 74 and 71. He has stuck with NCL for most of his cruises, and is now Platinum. I was telling hubby about how NCL Latitudes is mainly by days but also gives bonuses for suites and booking 9+ months early. We've only had 3 cruises on NCL (all 7-nighters but one was a suite) but it was interesting the differences in the programs.... and that we had introduced him to cruising almost ten years ago.

But yes -- each program is different. We aren't married to just one line and "cruise around". They need a loyalty program for us non-loyal folks!
When we were younger and crusing with our grandparents on HAL, they had these huge medallions you wore with your number of days on them. My little sis and I would always wear my grandparents (we thought they were so cool) and people would joke with us that we sailed more days than we were alive.
Now HAL lets you earn more sea days by booking the spa, shore excusrions, the pay resteraunts and your stateroom bill.

I haven't cruised HAL since 2006 but I do miss the free laundry, such a nice perk!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #3531
DisneyMouseHouse

Help! I am a DIS Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post
DCL has been approached by guests numerous times with numerous ideas...so far they have not taken any of them. One suggestion was to simply add to the existing program - put little symbols for those who have more than 100 nights, 200 nights etc...I have a friend who has more cruises than I do, but fewer nights. She has 143 nights on 30+ cruises...this cruise will put me over 180 nights and is my 25th....go figure!
Yes we have fewer cruises/more nights due to the cost of actually getting to wherever the cruise is! (not as many as you, however, but hopeing to get there!) When you live in the middle of the country with no water anywhere, kind of hard to just jump on the next cruise!

It's really too bad they don't at least take those suggestions under advisement.....but oh, well, like someone else said, at least they have a program

Our Travels
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #3532
Viking_53
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMouseHouse View Post
Hey Chuck
So far we are up to 32 ppl who are coming. As far as what drinks, that is usually determined by DCL not very far before the cruise.....so that one I can't help you with. On every one that I have ever attended, private and otherwise, there is a mix of different kinds, both "fruity" and "serious" (can a drink be serious?? - hahaha) with maybe a shooter too.....

And I am sorry, I really need to edit that because if we go over the 49 they will split us into two classes to be held at two different times.....so I don't think you need to worry about that one. I just haven't done it and will do so as soon as I get done with this post

As far as room number, just put GTY, those ppl I know I will need to update their info before submitting the list to DCL.

Hope that helps!
Beverly
Beverly,

Thanks very much for the info!

Chuck
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #3533
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Personally i don't mind that they count cruises instead of days.
The most reasonable for me is counting $, just for example $1 = 1 point, 10.000 points makes gold... And so on.

We have cruised 3-4-7-11-14 nighters.

If it would be in days cruised then it isn't fair for the others because a TA 14 nighter is the same price as a Dream 5 night cruise....

Don't think that you will ever be able to satisfy all the people...

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #3534
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post

Don't think that you will ever be able to satisfy all the people...
oh so true!!! Now they count the DVC bookings - they didn't in the past
.DVC member since 2001
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #3535
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn

oh so true!!! Now they count the DVC bookings - they didn't in the past
Glad they do that!!

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3536
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

How are the shirt orders coming along?

Another question, how many formal nights?

Thanks.

Last edited by bobbiwoz; 02-07-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Questions
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #3537
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
How are the shirt orders coming along?

Another question, how many formal nights?

Thanks.
usually 2 formal and 1 semi formal
.DVC member since 2001
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #3538
Tubbsteruk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie25 View Post
We've just booked! 11c stateroom (we have an expensive house move coming up!)

I'm Ruth, 34, and I work in the operating theatres at a local hospital. I enjoy reading and baking.

My husband Richard is 36 and also works at a different hospital. His main requirement for a holiday is that there are places that he can walk to avoid cabin feaver.

This is Richard's first cruise, and my second, although the first was a school trip on a ship with the decor and facilities of a cross-channel ferry!

We have been married four months today, and we are so looking forward to spending time together.. work is such an inconvenience!

We are flying from Manchester to Heathrow then on to Houston... at the moment planning on arriving on 16th May to allow us time to recover from the flight, and possibly to go to the Space Centre.

At the moment we haven't booked our return to Manchester from Barcelona... it's looking like it could be expensive as it's the end of the UK half term holidays.

so excited to be joinging you all!
Welcome aboard

We did our first cruise on the 2011 WBTA and people said we were mad to do a 14 night TA as our first cruise. We absolutely loved it

We were worried that we would get cabin fever - we were sooooo wrong - there was so much to do we had to decide what to miss.

I'm sure you'll love it and get hooked.

Paul & Helen
Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3539
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMouseHouse

Nah, they'll be debating the merits of each type of camera -

No problem on the flickr add - that's a few of my DH pics, I didn't take them nor do I usually get up/stay up when he does.....he loves to do the lightening shots (we get a LOT of thunderstorms here and he's usually in the garage taking pics out the door!). He likes to do pics of "things" as opposed to pics of "people"....

Those photos that you guys took are GORGEOUS!

I've been kinda keeping him up with the thread, he'll have to look at your guys flickr acct......and I am sure he will!
Ah yes, they can debate whether Nikon or Canon is better lol.

DB would agree, he loves taking landscape pictures and night photography in cites.

Thanks very much - we were happy with the way they turned out! And the best of it was that they were taken right on our doorstep near enough.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #3540
Tubbsteruk
Earning My Ears

Checklist

It's all coming together now - in double figures to go

Airport hotel - booked
Flights booked - Manchester to heathrow - heathrow to Dallas (first)
Hire car booked
Hotel Dallas - booked (meeting with Mandygirl sorted)
Hotel Austin - booked
Hotel hill country - booked
Hotel San Antonio - booked (meeting up with friend from CT sorted)
Hotel Houston - booked
Hotel Galveston - booked (thanks Mandy)
CRUISE - PIF

Hire car for Madeira - booked

Barcelona hotel - booked

Flights home - Barcelona to heathrow - heathrow to Leeds - booked

Time for drink methinks...

Just need to work lots to earn spends $$$$

See you all soon
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: