Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #2461
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
Had my neck scan today and it was fairly good news. Have got a thyroglossal cyst, so as I understand it, basically a lump filled with fluid. May have to have surgery to remove it, but won't find out for a while. However, I am over the moon its not something more serious, so I will take the surgery if necessary!
Glad to hear that it's a fairly minor problem, and hope it's out of the way and you're feeling great soon!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #2462
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
Thanks for the greetings on my new niece and the advice. I am glad my sister is coming. During this cruise, it will be five years since my Dad passed away suddenly and I thought it would be great if we were all with my Mom, doing something together to remember him. He loved to cruise and we all have such wonderful memories of cruising together as family with him!

So our plan is to stay at a hotel near Hobby since we get in after midnight on Friday. There is a Spec's within 2 miles of the hotel which opens at 10am on Saturday. DH and my plan was to get our run in and end at the store at 10am and then walk back to the hotel with our "items" Would this be a bad idea?

Thanks for the advice, we won't be needing a room. Since we get in so late on Friday night, we are going to stay at a Marriott property. I have a ton of points! But that happens when you live in a hotel for over 6 months....

Be careful what you wish for! I was team captain for our wellness challenge at work and I was told my "motivational daily emails" were more threatening than anything else. I have been known to knock on doors and call rooms until a certain sister gets out of bed and give people dirty looks on the ship if they slept in and missed the workout! I was thanked later when everyone got home and the scale was decent to everyone! And my team came in 1st place in the US for the challenge.

We also set-up a stair pledge. In the 14 days, I took the stairs only once (during embarkation, I had a roller bag full of booze) The kids did the stairs also.

When I cruised HAL as a kid, you got a present everyday you didn't take the elevator, your parents had to sign off on it. I loved it, such a good idea to keep those who don't need it out of them! And it is great excersise
Hobby area - definitely not at night but daytime much better. Looks like the Marriott is on I-45 versus tucked back by Hobby. I had stayed at a Hilton property close to HOU that has since changed names. Just watch the area as you are taking airport/hotel shuttle. Even ask the shuttle driver if they can run your husband there, and tip well.

I'm game for the motivational texts

What a cool challenge on HAL! We've cruised them a couple times. I might have to think about the stair challenge when not having the kids with me. We have cabins that are 5 decks apart, so that is reasonable for stairs.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #2463
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyNewfie View Post
Well, we're cruisin' now

Several more people signed up for Roll Call in the last day - we're at 67, we're flying through the posts, and people other than me are updating the website.

If anyone is worried about keeping up to date on the website, you'll note there's a "recent site activity" on the right hand side of the main page you can use to review for changes.

Quote:
At least you have 2! Trying growing up in the mountains of WV. We had one language, hick!

We also set-up a stair pledge. In the 14 days, I took the stairs only once (during embarkation, I had a roller bag full of booze) The kids did the stairs also.

When I cruised HAL as a kid, you got a present everyday you didn't take the elevator, your parents had to sign off on it. I loved it, such a good idea to keep those who don't need it out of them! And it is great excersise
Hick

I'm betting you meant that you only took the elevator once . We try to always use the stairs. We'll be on the first deck and intend to always use the stairs, even for the coffee runs! And I'll be good, I promise, and do my daily walks. I used to be heavy and have vowed to never get heavy again!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #2464
Goofy39.3
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="hmhaase"]

My daughter is also missing the last two weeks of kindergarten. I talked to the principal and teacher last week, the teacher was not very thrilled with us, but the principal was all for it, she said what a great experience, and now is the time to do it. But I was so nervous and all ready to cancel our trip after talking to teacher, but hey the principal approved it, so we are going [Quote]

You did say kindergarten right? I'm pretty sure there is nothing learned in two weeks of kindergarden that can't be made up in a couple hours. She might miss out on doing a macaroni project.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #2465
hmhaase
Earning My Ears

Yes I did say kindergarten and that is exactly what I thought (about the art project). I was a little irritated with the teacher for making me feel so bad! I am a teacher and I remember the last weeks of school, not much was done because the kids were all bouncing off the walls, mainly review stuff and end of year parties!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #2466
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the greetings on my new niece and the advice. I am glad my sister is coming. During this cruise, it will be five years since my Dad passed away suddenly and I thought it would be great if we were all with my Mom, doing something together to remember him. He loved to cruise and we all have such wonderful memories of cruising together as family with him!

My niece and nephew went to a Montessori school until the first grade. I think that's why my niece did so well in the club when she was 3. She was so use to being around older kids and being away. She went full day M-F. She would have stayed in the club all day if we would have let her.

They now go to a private school (way to much $ if you ask me, I went to public school and I turned out fine) My sister's thought is, I pay enough money so I will do what I want. They learned so much more during our EBPC cruise than they ever would have learned in the classroom. Lucky for them, their school get out early so they will only be missing the last 3 half days. It is also a boarding school and most older kids are international so that's why they finish so soon.

My Mom was a teacher and she pulled us out all the time, missing a week never hurt us and we got more from the travel and family time than we ever would have gotten in school.

At least you have 2! Trying growing up in the mountains of WV. We had one language, hick!
I'm so happy for your family. Spending this time together will be so meaningful!

I totally agree that traveling is much more meaningful than ABCs in the classroom. I know the school really doesn't mind too much (and can't do anything about it anyway), but it's just kinda like telling your boss you are quitting for a better job. You know it's okay, but it's still awkward haha.

DH is from KY/WV. Born in Ashland, but ended up where ever you need to live to graduate from Wayne HS. The boys and I have been back to see his family at least 10 times. Not the most exciting vacation haha. But at least we went to Kings' Island!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #2467
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

How are you guys feeling about Pirate Night? We normally go full pirate, but I don't feel like taking all our stuff. I ordered some pirate shirts for the boys to wear in lieu of dressing up, but I feel so lame...

Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #2468
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'll PM you. As a warning, DH is a software engineer and I will not be held accountable for anything he does while under my account.

The disney website drives him nuts! He refuses to use it. I know when he is on it because I can hear him screaming WHY!!! at the computer. He pre-writes his comment card before we leave and it is pages on pages about the website and what is wrong with it and what needs to be fixed with it!
Oh my. I hope he doesn't start evaluating my effort.

I get where he's coming from. I sometimes suspect their website was written by co-op students with no supervision.

But, let him go nuts. Google Sites is pretty powerful.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #2469
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
How are you guys feeling about Pirate Night? We normally go full pirate, but I don't feel like taking all our stuff. I ordered some pirate shirts for the boys to wear in lieu of dressing up, but I feel so lame...
That picture's awesome though. Here's lame.... ... but, if you look in the background note that no one else was dressed up. But I guess that's a symptom of the 3 day cruise.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #2470
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod
We are dressing up and we are two adults only the second I am on a Disney holiday/vacation I don't care what anybody thinks of me
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #2471
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

I remember we spoke about villian night a few months back on the thread - I believe people were talking about how they had dressed up in the past?

Just wondering if anybody was still interested in this? Me and DB are - I just am so eager to start getting everything planned
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #2472
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
We are not big on dressing up but I love to see everyone else dressed up.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #2473
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I'm betting you meant that you only took the elevator once . We try to always use the stairs. We'll be on the first deck and intend to always use the stairs, even for the coffee runs! And I'll be good, I promise, and do my daily walks. I used to be heavy and have vowed to never get heavy again!
HAHA, opps, so much for multi-tasking and not proof reading what I wrote. Yes, you are correct, I only took the elevator once! I am in the same boat (or ship) as you. About 3-4 years ago, I lost 60 lbs and I do not ever want to go back to that. I have gained about 10 lbs back this past year, post wedding and living with a DH who eats non-stop and has tons of junk food around. I am trying to lose it before the cruise.

Quote:
I'm so happy for your family. Spending this time together will be so meaningful!

I totally agree that traveling is much more meaningful than ABCs in the classroom. I know the school really doesn't mind too much (and can't do anything about it anyway), but it's just kinda like telling your boss you are quitting for a better job. You know it's okay, but it's still awkward haha.

DH is from KY/WV. Born in Ashland, but ended up where ever you need to live to graduate from Wayne HS. The boys and I have been back to see his family at least 10 times. Not the most exciting vacation haha. But at least we went to Kings' Island!
Thanks, and I tell my boss every day I am quitting for a better job. She just laughs at me, hopefully, one day it will be true! I lived in Parkersburg, near the Ohio border. We moved there from FL and then moved on to NJ. WV is a wonderful playground for when the boys get older, I love rafting and climbing. Bridge Day is amazing. I always hoped I would move back to WV and raise my family there but while there are plenty of jobs for me (environmental engineering) there are not any jobs for my DH (software engineer) so my plans are put on hold. West Virginians are the kindest people I have ever met and though most don't have a lot, they are more than willing to give you what little they have.

Quote:
We are not big dress up in costume people and I was that weird kid that didn't like Halloween(still dont) so we don't really go all out. We bring eye patches and hats and DH and nephew have pirate ties. But that's about it.
You will see us "dress up" even on casul nights, DH will wear a tie every night and I will wear a dress. When we cruised with my grandparents when we were kids, we could do anything we wanted except their one rule was that we had to attend pre-dinner drinks, dinner and the show as a family, dressed up. It kinda stuck with us and does make for great photos. DH never dresses up for work, so it is a nice change.

Quote:

I get where he's coming from. I sometimes suspect their website was written by co-op students with no supervision.

HAHA, he won't, he knows better not to complain about something people are volunteering to do, now a multi-billion dollar company is a differant story.....
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #2474
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
I remember we spoke about villian night a few months back on the thread - I believe people were talking about how they had dressed up in the past?

Just wondering if anybody was still interested in this? Me and DB are - I just am so eager to start getting everything planned
DH asked me the other day if I could find him a villians tie. I haven't had any luck yet. So if anyone finds one, please let me know!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #2475
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:

Love it! We are going to be gone for three weeks and will be limited on space. We've decided not to bring pirate gear this time. Both of our MR cruises we did and had a blast, but for luggage space, we're skipping it.

MandyGirl had some great logos that she posted on FB. I was thinking that we, the Kirbo Family, could make tee-shirts for Pirate Night using one of her graphics.
Quote:

Quote:
That picture's awesome though. Here's lame.... ... but, if you look in the background note that no one else was dressed up. But I guess that's a symptom of the 3 day cruise.

[IMG][/IMG]
You guys look great!
Quote:
We are dressing up and we are two adults only the second I am on a Disney holiday/vacation I don't care what anybody thinks of me
This is a great attitude

Quote:

Now I'm bummed that we don't have more space. This is the type of thing the girls would love getting into (DH not so much ).

Quote:
HAHA, opps, so much for multi-tasking and not proof reading what I wrote. Yes, you are correct, I only took the elevator once! I am in the same boat (or ship) as you. About 3-4 years ago, I lost 60 lbs and I do not ever want to go back to that. I have gained about 10 lbs back this past year, post wedding and living with a DH who eats non-stop and has tons of junk food around. I am trying to lose it before the cruise.

HAHA, he won't, he knows better not to complain about something people are volunteering to do, now a multi-billion dollar company is a differant story.....
That tie is awesome. I love the idea of dressing up each night, but DH hates it. Getting him in anything other than shorts and a tee-shirt is hard. On the cruises I make him wear polo shirts and khakis and that's about all I can get out of him. Although at Palo he'll wear a suit.

I lost my weight five years ago and have put on seven pounds in the last year .

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: