Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #2026
nitrame
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyra's mommy

Hi Mandy!

We have late dining too. We actually had main dining but the Disney TA convinced me to change to late because of the time change and the kids club. I had no idea, so I was really grateful to her for the advice. Hopefully, they'll put us close to you and maybe we'll still get another family to sit with us.
Let me know as well I have a ds6 and a dd 9 but she is a forth grader. My daughter is like your quiet and shy until she gets to know people. My son can have fun with anyone. We are also late seating.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #2027
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
I hear ya! I love these boards for the meet threads but you can't say any negative about Disney on here. Disney is a company and they will not always be perfect and everyone is entitled to their own opionion. I do not think wanting a diet soda with dinner is high maintenance
Hahaha - I just wanted tap water.

Yes - been on CruiseCritic for 12+ years on various cruiselines, and never seen such rudeness from some as I have seen here on these boards. I even had to turn off private messages.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #2028
kyra's mommy
Mouseketeer

Great! We'd love to link up. I guess there is someone handling linking everyone?

Last edited by kyra's mommy; 01-13-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: I meant this to be a pm.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #2029
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Hahaha - I just wanted tap water. :rotfl2
Maybe you should ask for some coffee to keep you up while you wait!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2030
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hahaha - I just wanted tap water.

Yes - been on CruiseCritic for 12+ years on various cruiselines, and never seen such rudeness from some as I have seen here on these boards. I even had to turn off private messages.
It is sad how rude people can be, it is so much easier to be rude on here when you don't have to know or see the person or be rude to that person's face.
I was so high maintenance that on our second night, unknowing we were going to have new wait staff, we brought cups from the drink station to dinner.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #2031
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73
By the time dessert came, I'll bet Kirby was stuffed.

Woody
Haha - love it! :D
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #2032
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Is there any pro's or con's to having late or early dining?
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #2033
kyra's mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb819 View Post
We have late dining as well & have a 10 yr old DD she's in 4th grade. It's just the 3 of us so I hope they sit us with another family as well! In 2011 we were with another family with a DD same age & name as mine lol
Hi Heather,

Trying to pm you but whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be working?? Or, I just can't see it.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #2034
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Seeing the stories on CruiseCritic the past 12 years on missing the ship are scary. Never knew any personally, but seeing their stories and circumstances... wow. (ooops - not sure if we can mention other cruise boards)
Again, yes, I know people miss the ship. It happens if they catch a flight the night before embarkation ... it happens if they book their own flight for the morning OF embarkation. People miss the ship at Port Canaveral when they have landed at MCO at 10AM ... people miss their ship while sitting on a bar stool at Senior Frog's. So, I will say again, does ANYONE know of a single person who missed a DCL ship, because there was a flight delay or cancellation on embarkation day? I do not know anyone, nor have I ever heard (1st or 2nd hand) of anyone. Granted, I imagine some have missed the ship (DCL or otherwise). Regardless, my point is / was ... HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE MADE THEIR CRUISE after DCL scheduled their flight on embarkation day. Referencing Cruise Critic (in general) is a non-issue, as we all know they do not have a DCL presence. Referencing Cruise Critic is a non-issue, as it would be improper to suggest posts on Cruise Critic are ONLY of those who booked DCL cruises with DCL air.

ANYTHING can happen on ANY day ... but, unknowingly scaring someone into thinking they WILL miss the ship if they fly on embarkation day isn't appropriate ... NOR is it appropriate to scare people into thinking they will not be able to board the ship until the 11th day.

Steven
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2035
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
ANYTHING can happen on ANY day ... but, unknowingly scaring someone into thinking they WILL miss the ship if they fly on embarkation day isn't appropriate ... NOR is it appropriate to scare people into thinking they will not be able to board the ship until the 11th day.

Steven
You mean - kind of like you scaring people into thinking that if they book a non-DCL excursion, they will miss the boat?

**To add to my comment above - no one said you WILL miss the boat if you fly to port on the day of embarkation. However, IF there is a flight cancellation or delay that day, one COULD miss the boat. I was the one who said Madeira was the first port with an airport, and we don't get there until day 11. If people can get to Castaway Cay by boating from somewhere in Nassau - more power to them. It's not a risk I am willing to take.

One more thing: I certainly HAVE read of people who missed their Disney cruise because of a flight delay or cancellation on the day of departure.

Last edited by NancyIL; 01-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2036
sdlong329

Quote:
.. if looking at business class, here was someone recently looking who may be able to share further insight to what she ended up finding:
I just booked Iceland Air, AMS (Amsterdam) to JFK, ECONOMY COMFORT (which I consider Business Class). Price was about $150 more per person, as compared to Economy / Coach. Iceland Air's website described Economy Comfort as follows:

Economy Comfort is an economy class fare with full flexibility tailored for travelers on business, with focus on productivity and comfort.
Good working space at excellent value.
Four-abreast (2+2) seating in convertible seats.
Legroom 33".
A meal with non-alcoholic drinks, wine and beer is complimentary.
Free access to the In-flight Entertainment System.
Business Class check-in and lounge access.
Extra baggage allowance (includes 2 checked bags @ 50 lbs each, plus 1 carry on)
International electric Socket

On the Boeing 757-200 and 757-300, the seat sizes utilized by Iceland Air for Economy Comfort are the same (or approximately) size as those in Saga (1st class). Granted, Saga likely includes reclining seats, slippers, sleep masks, etc. Iceland Air's Saga class is approximately twice the cost of regular Economy / Coach. In my specific case, Saga would have been under $1,500 to fly AMS to JFK.

Steven
Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #2037
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Are you guys doing early or late dining?

We are doing late because of the time changes and Dine-and-Play being offered with late dining only. Worth looking into. We were able to have it where literally most of our DIS group was in the same section of the dining room, so if kids not at same table, there were other DIS members the next table over. Of our table of 12... we have 5 kids ranging from "almost 3" to 10. Then they can go to Kids Club together when the CMs come through the dining room.
I just put in a request with my TA to have mine changed to late dining. We would be very interested in linking with other Disers. Being in the same area would be nice for me and the girls. Let me know what I need to do.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #2038
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_53 View Post
We're flying Southwest from Denver the night before - cheapest option for us ... I'm a little nervous about Southwest, but United's fares just aren't competive down there right now, which is odd since both Denver and Houston are hubs for them.

Chuck
- Any reason why you are nervous about flying Southwest? We've been flying Southwest for years!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #2039
sdlong329

2014 wbta

Quote:
Someone from our 2011 WBTA facebook group started researching ports and their port calendars for 2014 this past week. September is showing some ports that are in line with the crossing that has Disney on them. Speculation is the Wonder because she may be due for the next major dry dock but she did post that it said Disney Magic. Ports in May and September, with St Maarten showing up in September.

Of course we had seen the same for 2013 and it didn't happen... but there is possible home for WBTA 2014
We were on the Fantasy in December (podCast 4.0). There was a discussion with various DU personnel, DISers, and a Serior DCL officer (name withheld, as a matter of courtesy). In discussing cruising in general ... the DCL officer had been asked about specific itineraries and cruises. The DCL officer recognized the questions were trying to lock someone into spilling the beans about a future cruise (WBTA 2014) ... and declined to answer. A few minutes later, while discussing another cruise subject, the DCL officer responded quickly (without time to think), saying something to the effect of, "but there's only one T/A" (for 2014). Afterwards, realizing what he had said, there was a bit of back-peddling. I'm guessing the truth is, CURRENTLY, there is only one T/A cruise scheduled for 2014 (EB), and that either no decision has been made regarding a passenger WB T/A, or whether it was possible to be a cast member only cruise ... citing the possibility of interior renovations being made by cast members, on the way to the US. This would be similar to the Fantasy sailing from Europe to NYC ... with cast members completing the interior of the ship on the way to NYC.

So, out of all of this, it is plausible a DCL ship could undergo extended dry-dock after EBTA and/or Med ... but no official response as to whether there would be a WBTA (often at discount rates), of, whether DCL would forgo the (discount) WBTA, in lieu of a working, return crossing. Of course, this information, and $8 will buy you a glass of wine on a cruise ship ... so take it with a grain of salt.

Steven
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #2040
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
Again, yes, I know people miss the ship. It happens if they catch a flight the night before embarkation ... it happens if they book their own flight for the morning OF embarkation. People miss the ship at Port Canaveral when they have landed at MCO at 10AM ... people miss their ship while sitting on a bar stool at Senior Frog's. So, I will say again, does ANYONE know of a single person who missed a DCL ship, because there was a flight delay or cancellation on embarkation day? I do not know anyone, nor have I ever heard (1st or 2nd hand) of anyone. Granted, I imagine some have missed the ship (DCL or otherwise). Regardless, my point is / was ... HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE MADE THEIR CRUISE after DCL scheduled their flight on embarkation day. Referencing Cruise Critic (in general) is a non-issue, as we all know they do not have a DCL presence. Referencing Cruise Critic is a non-issue, as it would be improper to suggest posts on Cruise Critic are ONLY of those who booked DCL cruises with DCL air.

Steven
C'mon Steven, that's a little rough. I'm sure no one is trying to "scare" anyone and I think you're adding more than a little stress to the way people worded things. People are sharing stories and opinions. No different than so many other topics we all warn each other about. It's up to each and every one of us to take a considered review of each opinion and decide whether each warning/recommendation/observsation is something we should heed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: