Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #1996
dee slack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Not sure if that was the official name, but it was a table of 12 in center of dining room near the aft. Large oval table. Wonderful table and location, but we just got the most inefficient servers I had ever experienced on 10 cruises. Nightly mistakes, over half-hour to get first appetizer even when all showing up on time, drinks often went empty, and we never had any of the "kid things" you read about on the boards that Disney is known for. We finally asked if we could just have milk and fruit on the table for the younger kiddos, but that was even hard to accomplish. We often ended up feeding our youngest junk food upstairs before going to dinner because it was just too long for her to sit before anything came from the kitchen. We'd see tables all around us seated after us, but getting first course long before us each night.

I need to be careful how I say this, but surely in this instance we wouldn't be expected to tip the full amount to these people?

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #1997
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl

Not sure if that was the official name, but it was a table of 12 in center of dining room near the aft. Large oval table. Wonderful table and location, but we just got the most inefficient servers I had ever experienced on 10 cruises. Nightly mistakes, over half-hour to get first appetizer even when all showing up on time, drinks often went empty, and we never had any of the "kid things" you read about on the boards that Disney is known for. We finally asked if we could just have milk and fruit on the table for the younger kiddos, but that was even hard to accomplish. We often ended up feeding our youngest junk food upstairs before going to dinner because it was just too long for her to sit before anything came from the kitchen. We'd see tables all around us seated after us, but getting first course long before us each night. Kirby the Bear even got better service two tables away.
That's a shame - really hope we, or anyone! doesn't get that kind of service on this one.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/

Last edited by Tink1987; 01-13-2013 at 08:36 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1998
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl

I wouldn't give a second glance either!

Kirby the Bear..... ahhhhh.... the bear who servers carried through the buffet for the owners but a mom juggling a little one and a tray was far-fetched to get help... I was always jealous of Kirby a couple tables over already getting his Mickey Bar for dessert at dinner but we were still waiting on our main course. He had the system down.
I won't hesitate to wear my ears at all times then

He was obviously a VIB - very important bear
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #1999
binkytell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
That's a shame - really hope we, or anyone! gets that kind of service on this one.

We do know the server is still on the magic as Mandy was cruising in November.

So If in on the 1st night in the dining room I give you a sad knowing glance you will know why
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #2000
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell

We do know the server is still on the magic as Mandy was cruising in November.

So If in on the 1st night in the dining room I give you a sad knowing glance you will know why
Lol

Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #2001
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post

Seriously on the wbta there was a couple who carried a life size bear around, to castaway cay, to the pool and each night In the dining room it had its own seat and ate lots of mickey bars , I heard there was a story around it but not sure what it was.
During our Fantasy cruise, there was a couple who carried around two stuffed bears (Teddy Bear size) everywhere, complete with outfits and baby carriers! Same cruise had two other ladies doing the same thing! Most intersting thing I have ever seen! They posed for pictures, went to activities, wanted food and a seat fro them...Then on the EBPC cruise, there was a lady who did the same thing! I like shoes to much to waste valuable packing space on clothes for a stuffed animal!

I think Mickey ears are fine, my DH wore his Mickey Ears Santa Hat to dinner almost everynight!
Quote:
It's worth a shot -- I just know we can't have the two we had on WBTA for 14 nights in a row, and we already know one is still onboard. It was kinda nice on our November cruise to have beverages not go empty, no orders get messed up (every.single.night.), and my child to have the DCL Magical dining room service like I had read that Disney was to be known for. The service you and I experienced was not up to par with the other three cruiselines we had sailed multiple times, but now I have seen how Disney *can* be.
On our honeymoon, the service was not up to Disney standard and that is all I had to hear about from DH. He drinks lots and lots of water and his water glass was never filled at any meal. When we boarded the Fantasy in April, DH made a comment about how his water glass will be filled. Well we arrive at dinner and our servers were HORRIBLE. Couldn't understand them, orders were wrong, never got our drinks, etc. We weren't sure if we should complain and try to switch tables or what but we knew we couldn't deal with it for another 6 nights, we had heard others tables complain to the servers etc. Well we didn't do anything about it and arrived for dinner on night two and we had two new AMAZING servers! They were with us for the rest of the week! I am not sure how/why our first servers were removed or if another table got them (I would feel bad for those people) but we were just so thankful!

We were nervous on the first night of the EBPC (14 nights is a long time to be stuck with bad servers, they make or break a cruise for us) and we had WONDERFUL servers. It is my Mom's and niece's first time with DCL and they have been hearing how great the service is so hopefully we will get a great serve team.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #2002
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner
During our Fantasy cruise, there was a couple who carried around two stuffed bears (Teddy Bear size) everywhere, complete with outfits and baby carriers! Same cruise had two other ladies doing the same thing! Most intersting thing I have ever seen! They posed for pictures, went to activities, wanted food and a seat fro them...Then on the EBPC cruise, there was a lady who did the same thing! I like shoes to much to waste valuable packing space on clothes for a stuffed animal!

I think Mickey ears are fine, my DH wore his Mickey Ears Santa Hat to dinner almost everynight!
Glad to hear it - thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #2003
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Stroller Question

DH and I are not parents (yet!) but we will be traveling with my 3 yo niece while her parents stay behind. Should we bring a stroller for her? Or is a backpack type carrier better? I am assuming we won't use the stroller on the cruise and that we would only use it for the airport (where we would want our hands free) and on excursions where a stroller could be a pain. My niece is VERY active.

Any thoughts/advice for this non-momma?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #2004
kyra's mommy
Mouseketeer

If anyone is still interested in having our dining reservations linked up, we would love to. Initially my parents were planning to come but they backed out so it'll just be the four of us, dh, me, dd10 and ds5. I think we'd be lonely, eating by ourselves for two weeks. So if anyone is still free and would like dining partners please contact me.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #2005
kyra's mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
DH and I are not parents (yet!) but we will be traveling with my 3 yo niece while her parents stay behind. Should we bring a stroller for her? Or is a backpack type carrier better? I am assuming we won't use the stroller on the cruise and that we would only use it for the airport (where we would want our hands free) and on excursions where a stroller could be a pain. My niece is VERY active.

Any thoughts/advice for this non-momma?
That's a hard one because strollers are such a pain to travel with. It's a can't live with it/ can't live without it kind of thing. I would suggest bringing a little umbrella stroller since they are lightweight and fold up pretty small. Or, if you are coming to Galveston early you could arrange to buy one off of Craigslist and have them bring it to your hotel. Usually they are really cheap off of Craigslist and then you can just leave it for the next person.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #2006
GoofyNewfie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post
Linked dining

is anyone interested in linked dining??

Would you prefer dining with fellow dis'ers, on the 2011 wbta, there was a whole bunch of dis'ers linked as a group, dcl sat us all within tables of each other, made for some funny looks when we all arrived in the dining room with our mickey club house tshirts

If so I'm happy to co-ordinate,
From the Linked Dining survey on our EBTA website, there's 18 people interested and 12 that were not. I'd say that's interest.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #2007
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Kirby the Bear

Quote:

. . . I was always jealous of Kirby a couple tables over already getting his Mickey Bar for dessert at dinner but we were still waiting on our main course.
By the time dessert came, I'll bet Kirby was stuffed.

Woody
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #2008
kyra's mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyNewfie View Post
From the Linked Dining survey on our EBTA website, there's 18 people interested and 12 that were not. I'd say that's interest.
I hadn't noticed that yet on the roll call. I just voted. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #2009
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

We would be interested in linking as well. It would be nice to have other adults close by to chat up.

When I did the WBTA in 2007 with just me and eldest DD. Disney did a great job of seating us with 2 other moms traveling alone with kids. It worked out really well.

We have Main dining. I was thinking about the Late seating but when I ran it past the girls they were like "No mom, all the fun stuff happens in the club during that time!".
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #2010
kyra's mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyra's mommy View Post
If anyone is still interested in having our dining reservations linked up, we would love to. Initially my parents were planning to come but they backed out so it'll just be the four of us, dh, me, dd10 and ds5. I think we'd be lonely, eating by ourselves for two weeks. So if anyone is still free and would like dining partners please contact me.
I also wanted to add that we would love to sit with people who have children. My son is very social but my daughter is SHY. Once she gets to know you she'll open up but if she doesn't get the chance she'll be very quiet THE WHOLE TRIP. I'd be really grateful to sit with other children so that she has the opportunity to make friends. When we were on the Wonder for a whole week she wouldn't even go in the kids program. We enjoyed being with the kids but were a little sad that we didn't get any grown up time.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: