Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #1771
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever2013

My kids are small. The oldest under 50lbs. We have both height and wieght restrictions, here. Is Europe just a height restriction?

America is 65lbs. and 4'5". I tell my DD(8) that she will take her drivers test in her booster, lol.

I will have to find a way to transport them from Barcelona to Amsterdam, and then around town.

Thanks in advance for your help.
There is only the lenght restiction the weight isn't mentioned. I checked the goverment website about the law because there are a lot of different sites that say different things.

Around town in Amsterdam is public transportation the best way to go, bus/tram/subway.
Cost effective a flight to Amsterdam is the best way to go.

But if you want to know more about the trainride straight or thru the Alphes let me know and i will check it for you!!

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #1772
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I hadn't checked in for a while, so just stopped by to say hello....and I'm totally lost reading the last few pages of this thread. DD and I are still planning to be on board.

My only comment--do not fly in on the day of the cruise if you have ANY other options. On a "normal" cruise, it makes for a very hectic, crazy morning at best. On this cruise, there is no way. Even if it means the last flight in the evening before, you'll be thankful in the morning that you did it!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #1773
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn View Post
If I can warn anyone - please be careful booking on SAS - the seats are VERY small. I am not huge, but I was sitting on one cheek for the whole flight. I think the heaviest person that could fit in those seats wears a size 12. Not a fun 7 hour flight. In the AirBus 370 the configuration was 3 - 5 - 3...ouch!

Cayla
Small seats are the worst! I flew a domestic flight (in China) on ChinaAir once and it was HORRIBLE. I couldn’t even get into the seat. I am tall for a female (6’) and while I am not huge, I am an engineer and not a model for a reason! I couldn’t get into the seat in either direction. Worst two hour flight ever. The seats were just not meant for someone my size. Lesson learned, the rest of my flights, I flew first class. I could not have survived that way on an international flight. Thanks for the tip, I will try and avoid SAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
Wow, what a story! So glad it worked out for you.
It was just crazy! Nothing you can do when a natural disaster hits, so you might as well laugh. During our rehersal dinner (for which there was no rehersal) the groomsmen hemed their suit pants so that they hit their calves and were "prepared for the flood with their flood pants" When our bridesmaids/groomsmen were introduced to the reception, they came out wearing hip waiters. It worked out but it still upsets me sometimes to look at the pictures.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #1774
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell
the is the up to date list of those that of pm'd to sign up for fish extender.

Sonjaleigh 3a
Binkytell 2a 2c
Kris3kid 2a
Padalyn 2a
Tink1987 2a
HeatherB819 2a 1c
wickesy 2a
AashleySEG 2a
Missandrea 2a 1c
Twopeasonepod 2a 2c
Cheflawrence 2a 1c
"Yorkshire 3a
Disney fan"
Ladyshopper 1a 2c
Goofy39.3 2a 1c
Squirrel956 2a
RDDoll 2a
FarnMor 2a
Mboekhoff 2a 2c
Rayofredondo 2a
Margaretstahl 2a
Thepedersonfamily 2a 2c
Gotomu212 2a 1c
Mandygirl 2a 2c
Sumeto 3a
Wildl1021 2a
Maza 2a
OKrayslovedisney 2a
Msammon 2a 2c
Tigger2on 1a 3c
Saracat 2a
cabinfever2013 1a 3c

31 cabins in total with 62 adults and 25 children, im sure this number will rise.

how about cut-off time for signing up, 18th april does that sound reasonable?

would be so much easier if we could have a new thread with all this info on the first pages for group activities,we
would then just be able to go on edit/update.

sarah
Please excuse my ignorance on this as this is our first DCL cruise. Will this list be split into smaller groups? I'm just thinking that there is no way I can lug that many gifts over the Atlantic on our flight out to Houston
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1775
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
Don't stress! It will all work out in the end and if it makes you feel any better, hopefully, we will be with you on that flight so we would be in the same boast (or should I say ship?)

If it is the flight I think it is, It is Midway, stop over with no plane change.

So I use to be a huge stresser-I stressed about everything all the time, as a kid, my stress gave me the shingles all the time. I also happen to be a very detail oriented. So fast forward, to my wedding, I had planned a huge, black-tie affair a year in advance down to every small detail. I had it planned so that there would be no chance of drinking and driving, everything (hotel, church, reception, rehersal dinner place, bridesmaid luncheon) was all within a block of each other, one block off the river. Three days before my wedding, Tropical Storm Lee rains on New York and floods the Susquehanna River causing a manatory evac of the city of Wilkes Barre, leaving me two days to plan a whole new wedding. Everyone thought I was going to lose it but instead of stressing, I went with whatever happens, happens and shocked everyone! I got married in front of family and friends and that was all that mattered. Not one of my plans worked out, the flowers couldn't be delivered, the tux shop was flooded, our priest couldn't come (he was to busy trying to save the church), the squash which our soup was supose to be served in, wasn't delivered, we did have the table clothes, chair covers, shashes we picked out but in the end it all worked out. And I can say I got married in a church with standing room only (our 150 guests had to fit into a church that sat 40) with a priest who didn't know our names.

So I am now a changed person and when I travel, I go with the flow and hope it works out and if it doesn't, I will make do.
Wow!! That's quite an experience.

Good to know it's Midway and not O'Hare.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #1776
binkytell
DIS Veteran

Yes it will be split into groups, some people may want to participate in all groups, I will divide into groups after cutoff date

Sarah x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance on this as this is our first DCL cruise. Will this list be split into smaller groups? I'm just thinking that there is no way I can lug that many gifts over the Atlantic on our flight out to Houston
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #1777
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell
Yes it will be split into groups, some people may want to participate in all groups, I will divide into groups after cutoff date

Sarah x
Thanks very much

I just couldn't stop thinking about packing that many presents - I know they won't be that big but they would take up so much space
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #1778
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Airtran connects at Chicago Midway, not O'Hare. I've never flown into or out of Midway, but I imagine it has fewer problems with delays than O'Hare.

To the person considering flying in the day of the cruise: DON'T! There is only one port stop between Galveston and Madeira (on Day 11 of the cruise), and that is at Castaway Cay - with no commercial airport. If you should "miss the boat" out of Galveston - you will miss over half the cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I hadn't checked in for a while, so just stopped by to say hello....and I'm totally lost reading the last few pages of this thread. DD and I are still planning to be on board.

My only comment--do not fly in on the day of the cruise if you have ANY other options. On a "normal" cruise, it makes for a very hectic, crazy morning at best. On this cruise, there is no way. Even if it means the last flight in the evening before, you'll be thankful in the morning that you did it!
This makes me totally nervous. We booked Disney Air and now I'm worried as I'm pretty sure they'll fly us in the day of. Does anyone know what they'll do if our flight is late/cancelled?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #1779
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
Thanks very much

I just couldn't stop thinking about packing that many presents - I know they won't be that big but they would take up so much space
Same thing for those of us post-cruise... you never know what to expect to receive, so it's hard to plan luggage space for the unknown. Especially if spending some time after the cruise on planes, trains, and other ships

I think we ended up with 6 or 7 groups of about 15ish cabins per group last on our WBTA 2011. Quite manageable then, and could participate in one or multiple groups. Super fun!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #1780
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo

This makes me totally nervous. We booked Disney Air and now I'm worried as I'm pretty sure they'll fly us in the day of. Does anyone know what they'll do if our flight is late/cancelled?
You will be fine!!
When booked Disney airfare then the ship waits for you like they do when an excursion is running late!!!!

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1781
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
You will be fine!!
When booked Disney airfare then the ship waits for you like they do when an excursion is running late!!!!
The ship will wait awhile for a busload of people on flights they booked. The ship won't wait overnight.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #1782
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post

would be so much easier if we could have a new thread with all this info on the first pages for group activities,we
would then just be able to go on edit/update.

sarah
My two cents would be yes. I have appreciated having it on the front page previously where each event organizer completed a "hold" spot to create the thread, then updated their spot as events were updated. But I am probably in the minority.

Quote:
Have I mentioned I am looking forward to meeting you?!? You have been such a positive inspiration here on the DIS boards and in answering so many questions!

Quote:
That's my two cents as well. Seen too many horror stories about flying in the day of. I was sharing previously about Padalyn's concern about possibly being stranded in Chicago 3 hours when her flight already lands at 12:15am and car rental counter closes 1:00am. Happens a lot I would assume. I live in driving distance of the port and could easily save the hotel the night before, but will still go down a day early for this one. But they are trying to come in the night before which is a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
It was just crazy! Nothing you can do when a natural disaster hits, so you might as well laugh. During our rehersal dinner (for which there was no rehersal) the groomsmen hemed their suit pants so that they hit their calves and were "prepared for the flood with their flood pants" When our bridesmaids/groomsmen were introduced to the reception, they came out wearing hip waiters. It worked out but it still upsets me sometimes to look at the pictures.
We had to be prepared too. We married while on a cruise -- on St John -- and had to keep thinking "what if the ship misses port". Our worst case was that everyone had to show passports or birth certificates on that sailing when getting off at St Thomas because of routing, and one couple had misplaced their's in their stateroom. Luckily not the bride, groom, parents, or Best Man / Maid of Honor, and honestly we mainly cared that bride, groom, minister and God were on the beach - everyone else was icing on the cake. Curt did roll up his pants -- high water from the waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I believe when booking air with the cruiseline they are responsible for getting you to your next available port of call should there be an issue. Like kcashner said... Castaway Cay with no commercial air service (although there is a runway) or Madeira.

On a positive note:
When I went down to watch the Magic sail into Galveston the first time on Sept 22, I stayed all day to watch her sail away as well that afternoon. Disney actually HELD the ship for a family arriving by cab from the airport. I was trying to make a 6:30 flight after 4:30 sailaway, and the ship wasn't throwing any lines at all at 4:30. (They had opened the next pier over that day for festivities - everyone went through security). Anyway, I walked back over by security and asked the Disney folks what was going on, and they said they were waiting on a family. So curiosity got me, and I hung out there because it was shady as well (Texas can be HOT!). A cab comes in, but then port security did not want to let them through. A CM went running out with a walkie talkie to holler at security to let them in. Sure enough, it was that family the ship was waiting on. I-45 can get backed up in the stretch between Houston and Galveston, which is what had happened. We watched sailway at 5:00, walked back to the parking garage near the Tremont, and my college roommate drove us back to Hobby. Got caught in rodeo traffic northbound I-45 and still made our 6:30 flight out of Hobby, but got to wave to four cabins' worth of friends on the Magic as she sailed away.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #1783
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl

Same thing for those of us post-cruise... you never know what to expect to receive, so it's hard to plan luggage space for the unknown. Especially if spending some time after the cruise on planes, trains, and other ships

I think we ended up with 6 or 7 groups of about 15ish cabins per group last on our WBTA 2011. Quite manageable then, and could participate in one or multiple groups. Super fun!
I really can't wait - luckily we are going to book a extra bag on the our flight home from Barcelona

Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #1784
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Thought I would share to double-check your passports and make sure they expire long enough after you plan to return (recommendation is 6 months). Also, don't trust your local CVS or Walgreens on photos. I have to renew both mine and oldest daughter's passports. I kept looking at my new picture thinking didn't seem as sharp in clarity, so instead of mailing it in, I thought I would run to a local agency that handles passports. When I pulled out the original passport to return it, I noticed the new picture seemed larger as well. Sure enough... the passport lady took one look and without even measuring said it wasn't correct. Then measured to show me what I had thought. I had a slight smile, which made my eyes wrinkle, so that's a no-no as well. Last time we did passports it was okay to smile, now they want the "neutral" facial expression.

So lesson learned: be wary of the local places that do passport photos. All four of us have had passports previously with no issues, and hubby and I more than once, but definitely flubbed up on the photography this time

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...oreq_5333.html
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #1785
Debbru
Mouseketeer

Hi all,

DH & I will be on this cruise - I've posted before on this thread, but it's been a while.

I've been trying to keep up with reading all the posts & I haven't seen any mention of this ( I apologize if this was already brought up):

The CDC has issued an advisory for Madeira regarding Dengue Fever (transmitted by mosquito bites). They haven't issued a "don't travel" alert but have issued a "try not to get bitten" alert & advise wearing long sleeves, long pants & using insect repellant. The last update states there have been over 2100 cases reported on Madeira. They also say that reported cases are waning but this could be due to the time of year & that the springtime increase of mosquitos could revive the epidemic of Dengue.

Does this concern anyone else as far as planning for excursions at Madeira or am I overthinking this???

Debbie
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: