Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #1471
carpenta
DIS Veteran

I would advise you to purchase your tickets to the Uffizi gallery ahead of time because the line goes down the block for same day viewings. Also we had taken "adult" type excursions with our youngsters in the past and our guides were very nice and inclusive with the young kids. Florence is about an hour drive from port as well as Rome so I found that the kids seem to gather together on the bus and keep each other entertained. Off the highway going to Florence you can see giant marble quarries where they mine famous marble used throughout the world.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #1472
klar
Earning My Ears

We will be a no. I still have so much to do. I guess deciding at the last minute to take this cruise was not perfect. Oh well at least we are going!
klar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #1473
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krennhack View Post
Great ideas! I am an obsessive planner as well. Because this is such a port intensive trip and DD (8) will be going on some very mature port adventures, I have been putting together games to keep her engaged. We have Bingo in Villefranche where she has to mark off the places as we visit them and she gets a small prize when she Bingos and then another when she clears her board. We are doing Florence on Your Own and trekking off to the Uffizi. I found the Uffizi gallery page on line and they list the paintings by room. I chose 1 or 2 paintings from each room, copied the image and printed them on small pocket-sized cards on a ring. As we enter each room, I give her a card and she has to find the painting. When she shows me the painting, I will give her a small monetary gift to put in a little pouch and she gets to add the card to a ring that she will be wearing. At the end of the museum visit, she can use that money in the gift shop. Now to come up with fun games for the rest of the ports.
I love these ideas you have to engange your DD! Our boys were 9 and 11 when we went to the Med in 2007. The older one had just finished 5th grade and had tons of field trip experience under his belt, but the younger one had just finished 3rd grade wnd while he had some field trip experience, in our district 4th and 5th grade are the field-trip-intensive grades. I could tell a big difference between the two in how they handled the tours. As the younger one got older, we were able to see how that field trip experience in school made a difference in his attentiveness (and yeah, I realize that normal aging / maturing helps, too).

Anyway, I love your ideas - you should be sure to share how them on the main Cruise board so that the people that are planning for 2014 can start thinking of similar things. I've seen some posts from people wondering if their chidlren are too young - and some are right around age 8.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #1474
krennhack
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
I would advise you to purchase your tickets to the Uffizi gallery ahead of time because the line goes down the block for same day viewings. Also we had taken "adult" type excursions with our youngsters in the past and our guides were very nice and inclusive with the young kids. Florence is about an hour drive from port as well as Rome so I found that the kids seem to gather together on the bus and keep each other entertained. Off the highway going to Florence you can see giant marble quarries where they mine famous marble used throughout the world.
Absolutely. We are purchasing our Uffizi tickets next week. I don't want to waste two hours standing in line just to get into the place!
krennhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #1475
krennhack
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
I love these ideas you have to engange your DD! Our boys were 9 and 11 when we went to the Med in 2007. The older one had just finished 5th grade and had tons of field trip experience under his belt, but the younger one had just finished 3rd grade wnd while he had some field trip experience, in our district 4th and 5th grade are the field-trip-intensive grades. I could tell a big difference between the two in how they handled the tours. As the younger one got older, we were able to see how that field trip experience in school made a difference in his attentiveness (and yeah, I realize that normal aging / maturing helps, too).

Anyway, I love your ideas - you should be sure to share how them on the main Cruise board so that the people that are planning for 2014 can start thinking of similar things. I've seen some posts from people wondering if their chidlren are too young - and some are right around age 8.
Thanks! It's the former teacher in me. DD is deaf and very visual. She is most comfortable when she knows exactly what to expect and most importantly, when she can anticipate being back on the Mickey boat. DH was so impressed that he asked me to make a set of the activities for him as well. Everyone will be sufficiently entertained and mom will be free to take pictures A perfect win-win.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #1476
friedrich2010
Earning My Ears

We switched to Yes for the fish extenders!

Upcoming Cruises:
12-Night Eastbound Transatlantic - Magic - 5/2014

Previous Cruises:
12-Night Med Cruise (Venice) - Magic - 6/2013
7-Night Western Caribbean - Fantasy - 5/2012
3-Night Bahamian - Dream - 9/2011 (1st Anniversary)
11-Night Southern Caribbean - Magic - 12/2010 (Honeymoon!)
7-Night Eastern Caribbean - Magic - 5/2009
4-Night Bahamian - Wonder - 8/2008
friedrich2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #1477
teerama
Earning My Ears

Booked a Rome tour through Rome in Limo.

They just told me that the Vatican is free on the day we are there (June 30) and no way to pre-book tickets. They are expecting very long lines.

I'm now debating the need for a Vatican guide if its likely I won't get inside!!
teerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1478
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teerama View Post
Booked a Rome tour through Rome in Limo.

They just told me that the Vatican is free on the day we are there (June 30) and no way to pre-book tickets. They are expecting very long lines.

I'm now debating the need for a Vatican guide if its likely I won't get inside!!
Yeah, you're VERY unlikely to get in and be able to see other parts of Rome. This is why DCL offered the exclusive Vatican tours for our cruise. IMO, they're going to be the only way you'll be able to see anything that day. I know a lot of people here on the thread booked them, we're forgoing the Vatican this trip, we saw it in 2010.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1479
teerama
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I missed that tidbit ;-)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #1480
teerama
Earning My Ears

So... We are in for the exclusive Vatican now -yay!

Now I may just have to follow one of my fellow DISers around for the 4 hours of leisure time. New research begins for me on getting from St. Peter's Square to EVERYWHERE!!! ;-)

You all are just so full (and willing to share) so much information!!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1481
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teerama View Post
So... We are in for the exclusive Vatican now -yay!

Now I may just have to follow one of my fellow DISers around for the 4 hours of leisure time. New research begins for me on getting from St. Peter's Square to EVERYWHERE!!! ;-)

You all are just so full (and willing to share) so much information!!
Hop on/off bus????
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #1482
teerama
Earning My Ears

LOL! That seems to be a consensus on Google. That would make things easier....
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #1483
elm95376
Earning My Ears

Questions from a newbie to cruisin

Hi, I have a couple of questions for those of you have cruised before.

My friend was telling me she didn't think that capris were appropriate clothes for dining on the Disney cruise. I had planned on dressing up for formal night, but do I also need to were at least slacks for the other nights????

Also what phone number do you leave behind for someone to get ahold of you incase of an emergency? Is there a special emergency number that someone back in the US can use to get ahold of us on the ship if some unforeseen event happens and they must get ahold of us????

Thanks,
Janet
elm95376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #1484
krennhack
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Yeah, you're VERY unlikely to get in and be able to see other parts of Rome. This is why DCL offered the exclusive Vatican tours for our cruise. IMO, they're going to be the only way you'll be able to see anything that day. I know a lot of people here on the thread booked them, we're forgoing the Vatican this trip, we saw it in 2010.
WHEW! So glad we booked that excursion through DCL. The Vatican was a "must do" for us.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #1485
teerama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm95376 View Post
Hi, I have a couple of questions for those of you have cruised before.

My friend was telling me she didn't think that capris were appropriate clothes for dining on the Disney cruise. I had planned on dressing up for formal night, but do I also need to were at least slacks for the other nights????

Also what phone number do you leave behind for someone to get ahold of you incase of an emergency? Is there a special emergency number that someone back in the US can use to get ahold of us on the ship if some unforeseen event happens and they must get ahold of us????

Thanks,
Janet
Capris are completely appropriate. Trust me when I tell you people wear shorts to dinner!

With regard to the phone number, I really don't know but I'm sure it's on the site or call DCL. I should prob look into that too.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: