Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1291
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Yes the Fantasy cruise was amazing
I prefer the newer ships to the classic ones. Those lounges are amazing! How many pics did you take of the bathrooms
The ones with the tile mosaic of the matador and dancer were just gorgeous!
We all have the DCL hoodies and my DH (Darren) is looking to get one this trip.
I am still waiting for my TA to get back to me on that.
I know where I live (near Dulles airport in VA) that the taxis at the airport are pretty reliable and licensed. I have heard that it is the same in Barcelona but someone correct me please if that is not true...
I think the problem with calling a taxi service is that they will start the meter from the time of your phone call and you get charged extra...and that you need to settle on a price before you get into the taxi.
Don't open your wallet in front of them as I read where one traveler had the driver grab a large bill right from her wallet and take off

Definitely need to be prepared
We've only been on the Fantasy so we hope we enjoy the Magic too.
The Fantasy's bathrooms were amazing oh my goodness. I think I wanted to cry every time I went in the one near the Walt Disney Theater. Granted, I loved the whole ship.

For taxi service, I saw on a generic European cruise planning thread that someone recommended this company. I thought I saved the link but I can't find it now I guess you could try to locate the thread or search Barcelona Taxi Companies. The site I looked at you would give them your name and how many people and they would wait at the airport for you with a sign.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #1292
carpenta
DIS Veteran

as for taxi service it is important to get a firm price BEFORE you get into a taxi. A travel tip because some have been to charge outragous prices when you arrive for they know you won't have time to argue. It is a small madhouse at the terminal getting out across the bridge and around Columbus circle so leave yourself more time than you would think. Arrival day is a week day and traffic is always heavy in Barcelona during the week.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #1293
Golden lover
Earning My Ears

Is there a facebook group for this cruise?
Golden lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #1294
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden lover View Post
Is there a facebook group for this cruise?
Yes. Info in first post.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #1295
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
We've only been on the Fantasy so we hope we enjoy the Magic too.
The Fantasy's bathrooms were amazing oh my goodness. I think I wanted to cry every time I went in the one near the Walt Disney Theater. Granted, I loved the whole ship.

Funny about the ships, we have been on Disney cruises 85 nights and only 12 of them were on the new ships, so I am fairly tainted, BUT I like the Magic the best still. I think the newer ships are just big. And I have always been one to like a more cozy atmosphere, so that probably has something to do with it, BUT I feel that on the Magic you get to know people better. That includes the staff, other families, and other kids for my little one. The older ships are beautiful and they take great care of them!

That being said, the rest of the family thinks I am crazy. And they think maybe it is because we have only been on 4 night cruises on the Dream, so we don't have the time to explore and get to know people?

Anyway, the old ships are still Disney and still better than being anywhere else in the world IMO.

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #1296
redcoral33
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
as for taxi service it is important to get a firm price BEFORE you get into a taxi. A travel tip because some have been to charge outragous prices when you arrive for they know you won't have time to argue. It is a small madhouse at the terminal getting out across the bridge and around Columbus circle so leave yourself more time than you would think. Arrival day is a week day and traffic is always heavy in Barcelona during the week.
Thanks all for sharing info on getting our own ride from hotel to airport. I will definitely negotiate an agreed pricing before getting into the taxi. -Cynthia
redcoral33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1297
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

If I've counted right, we have 19 states plus Canada represented on this cruise.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #1298
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
Funny about the ships, we have been on Disney cruises 85 nights and only 12 of them were on the new ships, so I am fairly tainted, BUT I like the Magic the best still....
Another vote for the Magic. I have cruised on the Dream twice, and it is beautiful and has some great new features and beautiful new areas, but I feel "at home" on the Magic. Oddly, not so much on the Wonder.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #1299
krennhack
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverVal View Post
Another vote for the Magic. I have cruised on the Dream twice, and it is beautiful and has some great new features and beautiful new areas, but I feel "at home" on the Magic. Oddly, not so much on the Wonder.
We have cruised on the Magic and the Dream. The Dream is gorgeous but we were a bit disappointed in the placement of the hot tubs. On the Magic, you have a great view of the pool and can keep an eye on your kids. On the Dream, they seemed like an afterthought. We are looking forward to being back on the Magic this summer. There is something to be said for those cozy "older" ships.
krennhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #1300
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Heard so many great things about the magic from all of you and others. I'm really excited to sail her and I'm sure I'll feel like she's my second home as you all do

Wow that's a lot of states being represented! Wondering how many sailing will be from Europe. But if it's mostly us Americans we can all celebrate the 4th of July in Venice together!

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #1301
rotary2808
DIS Veteran

I liked the Fantasy, but I'm happy to be going back to the Magic. Just wish it had Outlook Cafe like the Wonder does though. The Magic/Wonder are home to me, know them inside and out. Even after a week on the Fantasy, I still didn't see/find everything on that ship.

rotary2808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #1302
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
...we can all celebrate the 4th of July in Venice together!
Hey - maybe we should plan a Meet activity for July 4th for sometime that evening - nothing fancy or whatever, but just for whoever is wandering about the ship and wants to get together?? Anyone interested? Toss out your ideas.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #1303
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

In case you were wondering, there are two Disney Stores in Barcelona.

http://www.disneystore.co.uk/disney-...or/mn/1300001/

We stumbled across one in Covent Garden in London on the Sunday afternoon we had disembarked the ship. It was super crowded but we bought a Mickey Mouse with something England on it for a friend of the boys' birthday. We thought we would make the time to go by one of these.

There is also one in Venice that we might have time to go see on the second day.

Last edited by nzdisneymom; 04-10-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #1304
carpenta
DIS Veteran

The Venice shop is about a "block" (or whatever they refer to groupings of buildings in Venice?) behind St. Marks' square going towards the Grand Canal.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #1305
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
The Venice shop is about a "block" (or whatever they refer to groupings of buildings in Venice?) behind St. Marks' square going towards the Grand Canal.
I was looking on the map from the Disney site and it looked like it was nearby, so thanks for the confirmation. I saw the Grand Canal so I figured we couldn't get too lost Of course getting "lost" in Venice is one of the top 10 "things to do." I figure we can stop on the way back towards the ship after our time in St. Marks Square.

I'm getting really really excited about Venice but having to not forget about all the other amazing places we're going! Do you guys do that? Get really focused on one port to the exclusion of others?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: