Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #1276
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
This is a funny question! We totally have this problem, I always feel so bad for our stateroom host! We always get 2 connecting rooms, one is the "cave" where the big kids are and I would guess on sea days, it usually doesn't get cleaned at least half the time! I always tell our stateroom host that we don't mind as long as our half is clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Funny you call it a cave - that's what we call our teenagers's rooms - their caves. But since we share one room, I do want our room cleaned every day. Nathan doesn't want to sleep so late that he can't get to sleep at night, so we always have him tell us what time he wants to be up by on the days we don't have to get up early for an excursion. Then for Zachary, we tell him he has to be up by a specific time - but on the cruise, he usually bases it on what the next day's activities are in the youth program - he'll check the Navigator the night before and then tell me when he wants to be up by.

As for me, I am an early riser on cruises because I don't want to miss anything! Like a sunrise - or I'm so excited to see where we are when we are going into a new port. Now on a sea day, I'm more likely to sleep in. DH will sleep in on vacation but at home he is the super-early riser.

You can always leave a note on your door for your stateroom host, or if they are like the ones we often had, they are in the hallway pretty early so I'll go out for breakfast and just let him know if the guys are sleeping for a bit. I do think they start later on rooms on sea days because they know people are going to be sleeping.

I like to have our room cleaned before lunch at least because I like to enjoy the cabin during the day and don't feel like I can as much when the upper berth is still down and the couch is someone's bed
My husband Darren is usually up early regardless of where we are or when he went to sleep. Drives him crazy on vacation as he can't sleep in even if he wanted to.
We have to get our teens up early several days in a row so with the first sea day as their first chance to sleep in for many days I figured I would just leave them alone...plus they can sleep in somewhat the next day as well as we don't pull into Venice until the afternoon...
But for the most part they have to get up early almost every day -which they do for school anyway, but I know that first sea day will be precious for the chance to catch up on sleep...

We usually try to be out of the cabin so that the stateroom host can keep to their schedule, but the logistics on this cruise are much different from our past cruises and my teens are easier to deal with when they have their beauty sleep
Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #1277
krennhack
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
That's what I was afraid of...

We usually get breakfast at the deck 9 buffet on our last morning rather than visit the dining rooms, but I don't want to risk things.

I'll check with our DU TA to see if she has any suggestions for private transfers. My DH insisted we leave the day we disembark and since I was low on vacation time at work it seemed best but now I am wishing we booked airfare to stay overnight.
We have a 10:30 flight out of Barcelona that was booked by DCL. I am VERY nervous about our transfer to the airport. We are taking the Disney bus but still. 10:30 seems really tight. When we cruise out of Port Canaveral they never schedule anything before 12:30.
krennhack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #1278
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krennhack View Post

We have a 10:30 flight out of Barcelona that was booked by DCL. I am VERY nervous about our transfer to the airport. We are taking the Disney bus but still. 10:30 seems really tight. When we cruise out of Port Canaveral they never schedule anything before 12:30.
The airport is a lot closer in BCN than from port Canaveral to Orlando
Be sure to fill out any forms the night before that you might need for the airport and you will probably want to take your luggage off yourself. But DCL will tell you what to do. They wouldn't book it that early if they didn't think you could get there in time.

The thing about flying from BCN back to the US is that most of the flights are before noon.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #1279
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Hey all. Finally took the time to add myself to the roll call and the excursion sheet. Sadly I don't think we will be participating in the fish extender group. We know our luggage amount is very limited and need to make some room for all the souvenirs we plan on buying Anyways, only 84 more days I think until sailing!

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #1280
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krennhack View Post
And I thought we were pushing it with an 11:55 am flight!
But yes you have the advantage that DCL is booking this for you so I would relax and follow their instructions like Cindy says above and not worry much
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #1281
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
Hey all. Finally took the time to add myself to the roll call and the excursion sheet. Sadly I don't think we will be participating in the fish extender group. We know our luggage amount is very limited and need to make some room for all the souvenirs we plan on buying Anyways, only 84 more days I think until sailing!
Welcome Aboard

I hear you about the luggage. My FE gift is going to be small in size and easy to transport and as long as the list stays relatively short (under 50) we should be fine....

Our PC Repo cruise had over hundred cabins in the FE exchange and that was time consuming as well as a challenge luggage wise

But we love finding gifts in our FE and our Baltic cruise only had 30 or so participating and that was perfect and not too time consuming.

Loving the count downs

So what kind of souvenirs are you looking to bring home?
I would love to bring home some small bottles of wine or olive oil but I am worried about packing them...
I have heard a lot of sites will ship now so maybe going that route
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #1282
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby

I would love to bring home some small bottles of wine or olive oil but I am worried about packing them...
Looking to find some nice home decorations or plates/China wear. We also really love to just buy the Disney Merchandise. We'll probably try buy every Disney item of clothing we can.
I see that you were on our last cruise the 6/23/12 fantasy! That was an amazing trip! Hopefully this one will be even better

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1283
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Laurie - we always pack a variety of sizes of ziploc bags so if we have something fluid that needs to be packed in our luggage, we'll double-bag it in the ziplocs so that if it does leak, it won't make a mess. We bag our toiletries that way, too, so the toothpaste doesn't get supersquashed and squirt out everywhere.

Speaking of toiletries, we're collecting up the floss and toothpastes from the dentist that haven't been used yet so we can use them up on our trip. We have travel size deoderants, etc. that we've collected as well. We plan to bring things that we'll use up so we'll have that space for bringing things home (like DCL shampoo and conditioner - love that stuff).

Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #1284
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Looking to find some nice home decorations or plates/China wear. We also really love to just buy the Disney Merchandise. We'll probably try buy every Disney item of clothing we can.
I see that you were on our last cruise the 6/23/12 fantasy! That was an amazing trip! Hopefully this one will be even better
Murano Glass and a jewelry box from Sorrento are on my MUST list. A Botegga Venetta bag is on my wish list while in Rome. I did get a LV while in Paris in 2010, so maybe I'll grab that too! Even had the thought today to pack bubble wrap, so the things will be safer in my carry-on......
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1285
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Laurie - we always pack a variety of sizes of ziploc bags so if we have something fluid that needs to be packed in our luggage, we'll double-bag it in the ziplocs so that if it does leak, it won't make a mess. We bag our toiletries that way, too, so the toothpaste doesn't get supersquashed and squirt out everywhere.
That's what we did with the olive oil we bought at the farm in Sorrento. We double bagged it and wrapped it in some dirty clothes for extra protection. Arrived home in one piece!!!! It was AWESOME olive oil! I've found one that is pretty close here in the states, I bought it at Sur La Table.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #1286
carpenta
DIS Veteran

We bought items in Sorento as well as Orvietto and the merchants UPSed the items home to the U.S. It really was easy and saved us from struggling with all the items and fragile items we would have to pack ourselves and carry with us. We also did it from venice and it was like a nice surprize having the glass show up in a few weeks after we returned.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1287
Golden lover
Earning My Ears

Quote:

And I thought we were pushing it with an 11:55 am flight!
But yes you have the advantage that DCL is booking this for you so I would relax and follow their instructions like Cindy says above and not worry much
Any one have reliable taxi service to use in Barcelona?
Golden lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #1288
Golden lover
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have reliable taxi info for Barcelona? Can we please be added to the meet up group?
Golden lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #1289
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden lover View Post
Does anyone have reliable taxi info for Barcelona? Can we please be added to the meet up group?
Welcome.
I added you to the list of who is sailing in the first post. I see you added yourself to the roll call spreadsheet... Thx for that.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1290
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes the Fantasy cruise was amazing
I prefer the newer ships to the classic ones. Those lounges are amazing! How many pics did you take of the bathrooms
The ones with the tile mosaic of the matador and dancer were just gorgeous!
We all have the DCL hoodies and my DH (Darren) is looking to get one this trip.

Quote:

Speaking of toiletries, we're collecting up the floss and toothpastes from the dentist that haven't been used yet so we can use them up on our trip. We have travel size deoderants, etc. that we've collected as well. We plan to bring things that we'll use up so we'll have that space for bringing things home (like DCL shampoo and conditioner - love that stuff).
Oh yeah, we always bring the ziplock bags too
But I have seen how the luggage gets handled (port/airport) and it seems like a matter of luck sometimes that nothing gets broken
I saw someone posted a special box for traveling with wine bottles, but it was not cheap and I am not definitely sure I am bringing one home. It kind of depends on what I find when I get there

Our dentist gives us these little dental kits that are great for travel. Everything in one clear plastic pouch.
When we get closer to the trip date I would love to see your packing/planning lists. I am not the most organized person and always worry about what I leave out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Murano Glass and a jewelry box from Sorrento are on my MUST list. A Botegga Venetta bag is on my wish list while in Rome. I did get a LV while in Paris in 2010, so maybe I'll grab that too! Even had the thought today to pack bubble wrap, so the things will be safer in my carry-on......
Pictures needed
Please
And that bubble wrap is a great idea. Saves space for bringing home souvenirs and can be thrown out if needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
We bought items in Sorento as well as Orvietto and the merchants UPSed the items home to the U.S. It really was easy and saved us from struggling with all the items and fragile items we would have to pack ourselves and carry with us. We also did it from venice and it was like a nice surprize having the glass show up in a few weeks after we returned.
I am thinking of a set of murano glasses (shipped home)...just worried that I will be too nervous to let anyone use them though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden lover View Post
Any one have reliable taxi service to use in Barcelona?
I am still waiting for my TA to get back to me on that.
I know where I live (near Dulles airport in VA) that the taxis at the airport are pretty reliable and licensed. I have heard that it is the same in Barcelona but someone correct me please if that is not true...
I think the problem with calling a taxi service is that they will start the meter from the time of your phone call and you get charged extra...and that you need to settle on a price before you get into the taxi.
Don't open your wallet in front of them as I read where one traveler had the driver grab a large bill right from her wallet and take off

Definitely need to be prepared

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: